PDA

View Full Version : Bears in Slidebrook

ski_resort_observer
04-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Since the subject of bears in Slidebrook comes up from time to time I thought I would pass along this very informative and overview article about the bear thing in the basin in the "Distorter".
http://www.valleyreporter.com/

Lostone
04-22-2006, 09:42 AM
There was a bear at Sugarbush, yesterday.

Edit: Image removed See below

Didn't want to get too close. My camera has a X3 zoom, but it didn't say 3X what. :roll:

I was there to get a shot of this:

http://static.flickr.com/54/132861018_771cd21bc9.jpg

ski_resort_observer
04-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Great capture! I know it's impossible to tell from that distance but the bear does look plump and healthy. Perhaps it was heading home after hitting his/her's favorite trash can.

You should take that image and show it to the VR. You might become famous. 8)

04-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Hmmmmmmmm.
Doesn't he/she know it's still "ski season"!!!
And aren't bears restricted from the slopes during OUR season???
And microfleece breathes better than fur.
I didn't notice a lift ticket on him either.......

Just a little levity to cope with the personal end of season withdrawal symptoms.

~~~------------------------[-

Lostone
04-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I can't bear to hear people poke fun at my furry little friend! :roll: :lol:

Actually, He was pretty easy to get. He hung around for over 17 minutes. (Timed by the times on my pix) And he was there before I got there and after I left. I think he saw me, toward the beginning. I can't be sure, but I think he looked in my direction.

But I was a long way from him, and my guess is he decided I wasn't much of a risk, at that distance. He was little more than a blur to me.

I also had the feeling he was thinking of the lift as a kinda munchie conveyor belt that would bring the skiers up to him and drop them off. YUMM! :shock:

smootharc
04-25-2006, 06:54 AM
....even fuzzy little black bears seem pretty gnarly. Hoping to hear the KY bear was sick in some way, behaviorally.

ski_resort_observer
04-25-2006, 07:52 AM
....even fuzzy little black bears seem pretty gnarly. Hoping to hear the KY bear was sick in some way, behaviorally.

If you encounter a griz out west and they have just woken up from their winter slumber it's pretty much over for you. A black bear while dangerous at times will most likely run away. The latest reports from Vermont F&G is that due to the low snowfall the bears are abit underweight but overall helathy.

I wonder if the bear population in the Slidebrook Basin increases where will the bears expand to?

spook....you lived on German Flats rd for awhile, hear anything about bears in the spring hitting up the garbage cans or even seeing a bear near there homes?

djspookman
04-25-2006, 10:50 AM
spook....you lived on German Flats rd for awhile, hear anything about bears in the spring hitting up the garbage cans or even seeing a bear near there homes?

I lived just below the Common Man on German Flats and while there was no bear sign in my yard, there were plenty of sign in the woods just across the beaver pond! The powerlines cut a swath thru the woods and below the lines there were many berry bushes that had wide bear paths thru them. The woods surrounding my place had a few trees with claw marks on them, and I saw many droppings up there as well. I never did see a bear though! I'll keep my eyes peeled this summer though!

dave

ski_resort_observer
04-25-2006, 12:39 PM

I lived just below the Common Man on German Flats and while there was no bear sign in my yard, there were plenty of sign in the woods just across the beaver pond! The powerlines cut a swath thru the woods and below the lines there were many berry bushes that had wide bear paths thru them. The woods surrounding my place had a few trees with claw marks on them, and I saw many droppings up there as well. I never did see a bear though! I'll keep my eyes peeled this summer though!

dave

thanks.......always figured that the homes along that straightaway section of German Flats Rd from the curvey hill below Sugar Run to the ME entrance would get a fair amount of bear activity, especially the houses on the mountainside part of the road. Sounds like where you lived gets some activity despite being in a fairly densely populated section reletive to the road.

Also figured the homes at the base of ME are located in a prime spot for bear activity. I have this crazy notion that between maybe 4-6AM, lower FIS is a busy bear highway where bears are headed for berries or trash food heaven.

There have been alot of funny and crazy bear incidents since man encountered the wild beasts. One of the craziest, I did see the video, I recall was when this train car full of corn went off track. I think it was outside of West Yellowstone, MT. It sat there for a few days, the corn began fermenting, then the bears started showing up. So you have 5-10 bears totally snockered with the whole world watching this go on for several days.

Plowboy
04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
I live in ME village. We hear them hoot all the time. My kids saw one near our yard the other day. By the time I got out it was gone. I have seen 5 in the past 3 years up here. Most of them were young, but one was very big. He had to be at least 300lbs. He stood 15ft away from the truck and was no way afraid of me 8). He just looked around and went about his way. We have not had any problems with them getting into trash or bird feeders. Yet

We also have about 40 turkeys and a very big moose :shock: wandering around lately.

Lostone
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Got a few better shots. 8)

Seems he was she.

http://static.flickr.com/49/144338513_e88d84c928.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/49/144338512_3648684af0.jpg

Haven't seen them the last few days before the big rains, so they might have moved. I'll be back out hunting, shortly. 8)

I think they are hiding from my Minolta. :(

djspookman
05-18-2006, 01:27 PM
nice shots lostone!!!!!!

aren't the little guys soo cute?

dave

ski_resort_observer
05-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Amazing capture!!!!! Coming soon to a garbage can near you... :lol:

Lostone
05-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Actually, I don't think these guys were getting near any garbage cans.

Mama was busy digging around in the grass. (She kinda tore up the lawn a little.) :lol:

I stood and watched the cubs for quite a while. I swear they were just like little puppies! 8)

She was aware of me, but I figure she wasn't concerned, as I was far enough away to not constitute a threat. I know I could have possibly gotten closer, but if I tried, by the time I was close enough to get a good shot, she might have been startled enough to defend herself and her cubs... and that might not have been pretty. :shock:

ski_resort_observer
05-18-2006, 03:27 PM
I would think bears in the Slide Brook Basin area are more used to humans than a bear in a roadless western wilderness area. You have an amazing opportunity to observe thses incredible creatures hope you continue to share your pics.

I wonder how many bears the NFS or the Vermont wildlife folks have estimated to be in this particular habitat. Having plenty of natural food will decrease the need to raid the old trash can but with these guys food is an incredible motivation, especially now, so, being as smart as they are, all it takes is for one to discover grabage then it's on the local bear network. If I lived in the area I would make sure my cans were secured properly and keep my camera at the ready at all times.

Lostone
05-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, my trash can is a dumpster that is behind a door, on blacktop in the middle of a bunch of buildings, so I think it is not going to be a prime lunch stop.

But the second part... I really try never to be without my camera. At least the small one, because you just never know. :wink: