PDA

View Full Version : Current Conditons?

04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Has anyone been to the hill today?
If yes, I would be interested to know how things look for this weekend.

castlerock
04-21-2006, 07:20 AM
The past three days have been what spring skiing is all about. Hero snow, azure skies, sunblock and beers on the deck. Downloading is now part of the equation, and frankly if I were Win and Hardy, Sunday would be the swan song of the season. FIS and Elbow are still 100%, Exterminator has a 50 yard stretch of 6'wide snow and a couple of bare spots to cross coming back on the traverse. Black Diamond is about done except for the perverse among us. Those are your choices.

I want to state my appreciation to Win and Co. for committing to keep the mountain open for this holiday week. It is the dessert on the meal that is the ski season. Without it the season is incomplete. Please continue this in the coming seasons.

Lostone
04-21-2006, 07:56 AM
The past three days have been what spring skiing is all about. Hero snow, azure skies, sunblock and beers on the deck.

Have I mentioned that I hate you? :evil: :mrgreen:

And today will be another one!

Weekend rain now moving back. Looks like Sat will be ok for most of the ski day and Sunday afternoon might be a recovery.

04-21-2006, 09:22 AM
The past three days have been what spring skiing is all about. Hero snow, azure skies, sunblock and beers on the deck. Downloading is now part of the equation, and frankly if I were Win and Hardy, Sunday would be the swan song of the season. FIS and Elbow are still 100%, Exterminator has a 50 yard stretch of 6'wide snow and a couple of bare spots to cross coming back on the traverse. Black Diamond is about done except for the perverse among us. Those are your choices..

Thanks for the update, and I gather a few of us envy you right now............................especially one of "the perverse among us".

-]-----------------~~~

Fourwide
04-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Win deserves a big (online) round of applause for participating in the forum. Being able to see his views on so many subjects, pretty much unadorned, isn't something shared by skiers at many other mountains (if any). Thanks, and well done! Very much looking forward to '06-07 season (I'll be buying my passes early!).

win
04-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Thank you. I received the 10 challenge questions and will work on responses this coming week.

I think I took my final run Friday down skiiers left of FIS after Tree Skier told me that was the line of choice. It felt so good that I decided that would should be my final of the year. Winter returned Friday night and it was a "bit" firmer up top Saturday but the rain held off. Today, is miserable and everyone in Vermont is closed. Really bad ice up top. Next week is staying cool, so we will assess mid-week whether it makes sense to reopen next weekend for a final fling! Fitting that the season should be ending with rain and wind. But, the golf course likes it!

Treeskier
04-23-2006, 04:10 PM
A good coating of ice on the top 1/3rd of Roxbury Gap road as I left the valley this morning.

The line of bumps Win mentioned above by the end of the day Friday was huge soft but scrapped clean by lots of us....so it skied GREAT!

Long range forcast is for sun and 50s next weekend. I hope the snow last and we can be open next weekend! Fingure crossed.

04-24-2006, 06:39 AM
A good coating of ice on the top 1/3rd of Roxbury Gap road as I left the valley this morning.

The line of bumps Win mentioned above by the end of the day Friday was huge soft but scrapped clean by lots of us....so it skied GREAT!

Long range forcast is for sun and 50s next weekend. I hope the snow last and we can be open next weekend! Fingure crossed.

All fingers are crossed, and the skis are remaining in the vehicle until next weekend!
Let's hope Mount Ellen has one more weekend left in her.

skibum1321
04-26-2006, 06:26 AM
How is the weekend looking? Do you think they will reopen? (even better if we get a first-hand response from Win)

madskier6
04-26-2006, 10:17 AM
According to the latest from the SB website, they will re-open for this weekend. That's good news although I unfortunately won't be able to make it up. I was there last weekend and got to ski only on Sat. Conditions were decent (not great) and it was worth it but nothing to write home about.

I do think it's great, however, for SB's reputation that they will be open this late in April.

skibum1321
04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have an idea about how much lift tickets will cost?

saabski
04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
......from the SNOW REPORT section of the website: Mount Ellen will reopen for one last weekend on Saturday & Sunday!

Tix last week were $26 (I think, having a pass I didn't look that closely). Since choices for lift-served runs in the NE are down to Kmart, Bretton Woods, Mont Ste Anne and Mont Ste Sauveur (I thought about those 2 but they are a LOOOONG ways from here!) it'll be interesting to see the price. Bretton Woods is charging $30, discount to $20 if you have a pass from elsewhere. For 2 pretty flat trails...... Sugarbush is best choice for variety, even at the end of the season!

win
04-26-2006, 02:16 PM
You beat me to it. Now you know that we will be open this Saturday and Sunday and lift tickets will be $10, so spread the word. We will be skiing FIS, Elbow and Rim Run and downloading on GMX with a Barbeque at the Glen House. All food service over the weekend will be there. The weather looks like it will be pretty sunny both days. It is going to continue cool at night and probably in the 50's at the base and the 40's at the summit. Hopefully the sun will loosen up FIS and make for a fun final two days. Our groomers are going to be able to repair the damage down to the Glen House flats and lower rim run and the top of Rim run that was caused by the rain on Sunday and Monday. We will start the lifts at 9am, and my guess if that it will be firm until mid-morning when we hope the sun will do its work. Hope to see many of you on the Mountain.

skibum1321
04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Sounds like it should be a fun weekend. I'll be there Sunday.

Treeskier
04-26-2006, 04:54 PM
A +

This is going to be great. Thanks Win!!!!!

Ski Yah Saturday!

04-26-2006, 06:33 PM
You beat me to it. Now you know that we will be open this Saturday and Sunday and lift tickets will be $10, so spread the word. We will be skiing FIS, Elbow and Rim Run and downloading on GMX with a Barbeque at the Glen House. All food service over the weekend will be there. The weather looks like it will be pretty sunny both days. It is going to continue cool at night and probably in the 50's at the base and the 40's at the summit. Hopefully the sun will loosen up FIS and make for a fun final two days. Our groomers are going to be able to repair the damage down to the Glen House flats and lower rim run and the top of Rim run that was caused by the rain on Sunday and Monday. We will start the lifts at 9am, and my guess if that it will be firm until mid-morning when we hope the sun will do its work. Hope to see many of you on the Mountain.

Thanks for one last glorious weekend Win!
We'll see you Saturday.

Windshield Ski Bum
04-26-2006, 07:02 PM
That's Awsome Win!!!! I will reschedual my weekend to be there both days. The $10 tix is a real bonus to me. Especially since it will cost me about $100 gas to drive up north for the weekend.

Lostone
04-26-2006, 08:13 PM
8) It would be great to have one last great weekend to close out the season in bright sun and a blue sky. 8)

skibum1321
05-01-2006, 07:45 AM
It was a great weekend at the Bush and a great way to end the season. Skiing in bright sunlight on a 70 degree day with a t-shirt on is one of the highlights of my season. The bumps on FIS were big and soft. Unfortunately, the trail got a little crowded and it got a little sloppy at the top and bottom. No complaints though - glad they opened up for one more weekend.

Hopefully ending the season at Tux next w/e.

Lostone
05-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

As I was walking around yesterday, I was thinking it was a perfect day to be on hte hill.

Also really glad that FIS got a little too crowded. That means enough people were there to show that there are people who love this spring skiing stuff. 8)

And now, we're done... until... :cry: November? :cry:

05-01-2006, 09:30 AM
riverc0il posted a great trip report on AZ:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/8457-sugarbush-vt-04-29-06-a.html

saabski
05-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Great day - headed up GMX at 9:30, expecting to hang in there for a couple of hours...... and ended up finally downloading at 3:00 pm, after several "OK, This will be my LAST run!". What a fantastic day of skiing!!!! I'm clueless as to how to do a trip report, so if I figure it out I will put up some pertinent photos. THANKS WIN and all the crew who worked the weekend - It was FANTASTIC. Now I might live through that annoying season called Summer!