PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country Ski /Mtn. Bike trails off German Flats...

smootharc
04-18-2006, 07:27 AM
There's a big trail system off German Flats to the East, and North of South Face condos all heading North to 17. And it's hard to get info on the location of trails, access issues, etc. for that area. So I was looking through some books on Skiing at a local used book store, and came across:

"Northern Cartographic's Vermont Cross-Country Ski Atlas" (1983) which has detailed trail maps for Sugarbush Inn Cross Country Touring Center connecting it to Mad River/Tucker Hill Cross Country Center.....two centers that no longer operate.

It is nice to see the trail system named and outlined in map form. It covers things along the Golf Course right across access road and north.

Was X-C just more popular 20 years ago ? What happened to these centers ?

freeheel_skier
04-18-2006, 07:35 AM
I believe you are talking about the catamount trail.......

smootharc
04-18-2006, 08:30 AM
but I don't know how to paste them to this reply.

ski_resort_observer
04-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Yes, the Bush used to operate a busy and popular ski center. The x-c center last operated out of the old Sportscenter across from the entrance to the Sugarbush Inn. For many years one of the most popular photographs the resort used un their brochures was one showing a couple of people x-c skiing in that field between the swimming pool area of Southface and the Sugarbush Inn. My wife and I have enjoyed alot of great skiing around the golf course.

The Catamount Trail is a rather recent thing. It does go thru the resort but one of the easiest access points is a trailhead(well marked) off German Flats about 1/2 mile past the school on the right. This section will take you to Tucker Hill. The Catamount Trail people are at the bottom of Main St in Burlington, you would probably enjoy their map of the MRV section. Barry over at Clearwater Sports might have a map.

smootharc
04-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes, the Bush used to operate a busy and popular ski center. The x-c center last operated out of the old Sportscenter across from the entrance to the Sugarbush Inn.

Strat
04-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Smootharc -

Really interested in seeing images... just hit the Img button above the typing window (assuming you have it hosted online already)...

Lostone
04-24-2006, 07:24 PM
And if they aren't hosted, use the Gallery link at the top of the page and upload them. 8)

smootharc
04-24-2006, 08:23 PM
http://upload3.postimage.org/169200/trails1.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/169200/photo_hosting.html)
[/img]

Lostone
04-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Great find! I'm pretty sure some of the area is now the Catamount Trail.

But your question is a good one. Why did these areas stop operating? Was there no business for them? In the ski club I used to belong to, we had a number of members and guests that did XC. But they all went up to Stowe.

I can't help but think about my XC skis. They are by the door, where I put them when I moved in, permanently. I've had my snowshoes out almost a dozen times in the last few years, but my XCs? Not once. :(

Strat
04-25-2006, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the pic smootharc...

Quite a few of the trails downhill from German Flats are now Mountain Biking trails...

smootharc
04-25-2006, 06:49 AM
http://upload3.postimage.org/171328/trails2.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/171328/photo_hosting.html)

djspookman
04-25-2006, 07:03 AM
nice find! I can tell you that most of those trails off German Flats near Sugar Run are totally passable on a mountain bike. I spent most of my time on the bike up in there last summer whne I lived on German Flats. Ther trails up there are really nice, flow well, and are just technical enough in places!

dave

smootharc
04-25-2006, 07:24 AM
...have an angry homeowner with a shotgun hiding behind it....that would be great !

My one concern with the Mad River Riders is lack of clear information regarding trails....access, time of year to avoid due to animals, where to avoid altogether....well, that would be great to know for those of us who might, with best of intentions, inadvertently go someplace that could upset someone.

ski_resort_observer
04-25-2006, 08:15 AM
While the Catamount Trail Association is mostly about winter use I would assume they would be a good resource to check with, especially for the sections that are a part of their system. They have some great maps as well. Locally I bet the folks at Clearwater Sports have info. So much great biking in the valley from asphalt to dirt to backcountry. For an old fart like me, cruising along on my old but trusty road bike in the early evening along the Common Rd is "supkalafragilistic".

Mike_451
10-27-2006, 10:54 PM
The catamount is pretty cool, runs throught my neighbors back yard. There is some access from the sugarbush inn parking lot for mountain bikes, but they supposedly don't want people parking there. Also there are some trails accessed, from eurich pond road, going back behind (english or irish pond or whatever), I am not sure whoes land they are on, and where they continue to, The one time I ventured back there, I bailed out across a beaver dam, and up the hill by the power substation.

I have had people tell me there is access to the catamount from Two Ponds Drive, though I havent been able to find it, and the driveway has a no trespassing sign, and probably to keep bikers out.

I think I have heard of the trails off of sugar run, though I havent really checked them out.

Check in with Stark Mountain Bike Works, they are usualy prety helpfull.

Does anybody know if the race course at SB South is still existant, or if it has become overgrown. I havent checked it out in years. It probably hasn't been maintained since sumit bought the place.

Lostone
10-28-2006, 08:29 AM
Actually, one of the things, widely welcomed, from Community weekend, was that mtn biking will be coming back for next season. 8)