PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush Open Longer Than All Other New England Ski Areas

04-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Wouldn't that be cool to read about in the news.
Almost cooler than being a part of it, and skiing here in May.
Maybe a few industry related promotional events might help cover the cost.

Treeskier
04-12-2006, 09:05 AM
I would be all for it....I will still be skiing where ever t there is lift accessed turns to be had. May is a great month to ski...Also.

ski_resort_observer
04-12-2006, 09:15 AM
In the mid 90's the Bush and Kmart used to battle it out as to who would blow some snow under the guise of "testing the system" have a few employees make a few turns then proclaim to have the first skiing in the east and then that night it was on the news. On the other end of the calandar, the one your referring to, has since the 90's gone to Kmart, as they plow a ton of snow on one trail, Superstar, and ski, usually, into June.

Maybe the Bush could do the same. Hire Plowboy to build the base. Pick a trail that's alittle longer than Stupidstar, for added marketing value, and go for it. What would be a good trail? Ok....so this is Fantasy Ski Resort, or is it?

I have to admit, when I was commuting to New London, NH one spring, as I was headed south on I89, to see that glorious sea of green, stretching from one horizon to the other and then this sliver of white is there to the southwest, thought it was kinda cool, wondered if anyone was there getting some turms and then was reminded why I never ski there. :lol:

summitchallenger
04-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Look no further than using either Zip or 'Spread Eagle' for this undertaking! :lol: :lol:

Oh, actually, those trails no longer exist I think.

04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
In the mid 90's the Bush and Kmart used to battle it out as to who would blow some snow under the guise of "testing the system" have a few employees make a few turns then proclaim to have the first skiing in the east and then that night it was on the news. On the other end of the calandar, the one your referring to, has since the 90's gone to Kmart, as they plow a ton of snow on one trail, Superstar, and ski, usually, into June.

Maybe the Bush could do the same. Hire Plowboy to build the base. Pick a trail that's alittle longer than Stupidstar, for added marketing value, and go for it. What would be a good trail? Ok....so this is Fantasy Ski Resort, or is it?

I have to admit, when I was commuting to New London, NH one spring, as I was headed south on I89, to see that glorious sea of green, stretching from one horizon to the other and then this sliver of white is there to the southwest, thought it was kinda cool, wondered if anyone was there getting some turms and then was reminded why I never ski there. :lol:

How about Steins? With a short walk to and from the VH Chair........

Tin Woodsman
04-12-2006, 02:13 PM

How about Steins? With a short walk to and from the VH Chair........

They tried that under ASC stewardship and I don't think the results were that great. First of all, it's pretty low elevation. Second, that's not exactly a short walk from the bottom of Stein's to VH. SB has it right now by focussing on Mt. Ellen as the early/late season venue. Upload/download on GMX, and ski at 3000' plus from the Summit Quad on FIS, Rim Run, Looking Good, and Elbow. No walk, no muss, no fuss.

Treeskier
04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Actually Steins on Sunday May 25 under ASC was a great spring day and you could ski 90 percent of it. Just a little walking in the middle. They loaded up Coffee run and used Valley House Double as the lift. Strange on Monday May 25th closing day. It actually got so cold that it was unfriendly frosty bumps and you had to ski Spring Fling (which also was top to bottom) to get down. I was there...have the lift ticket on the beer fridge to remember it by. Ski Yah this weekend.

summitchallenger
04-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, Mt Ellen is where it's at in my book. Better than Superstar anyday!

xskierofsugarbush
04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Put a tbar on FIS and blow a ton of snow on it! I bet you could get to mid june on that!! You could take the lift to the top and down load at the end of the day...

Plowboy
04-13-2006, 06:27 PM
That's a great idea.

There was 1 year in May you skied FIS and did a short hike through woods to Elbow and Wayback.

I would think if they blew enough snow on Looking Good and FIS, you could ski FIS well into May or June. The skiers right of LG is in the shade. They used to bury the snowmaking pipes on LG. Now they go for Lower Rim Run.

The big ? is > will they come$$$

Lostone
04-13-2006, 08:27 PM
That's the question. Will they come?

Right now there is some great skiing out there. Considering what some of us made it thru, this season, you would think there would always be long lines.

I love the idea of a poma going up FIS, tho. It would only service the top, but the snow on FIS is there for a long time after they close. 8)

But would they come? Would enough come to pay for the lift? In how long?

Plowboy
04-13-2006, 09:23 PM
I think more surface lifts could reduce the # of windholds. :lol: :lol:

win
04-14-2006, 06:08 AM
I don't know if that will be a realistic headline this year, but there is still good skiing and riding at Mount Ellen. I skied FIS, Black Diamond, Exterminator, Elbow and Rim Run early yesterday. It had set up overnight, so it was firm but edgeable. By afternoon when the sun peaked through, the reports were that it was skiing nice (Bravo as well). Last night it was cool enough to groom trails like Elbow, rRm Run and Cruiser, and it is going to be warm enough to soften up FIS, Black Diamond etc. so it should be a great day of Spring skiing and riding. We are still top to bottom, but it is getting very thin on Straight Shot. We will almost certainly be top to bottom today and tomorrow, but may have to start down loading after that. We still will plan to stay open up top through next Sunday, if at all possible. As you know, the challenge is always in the mid-flats area around the Summit chair base area and lower rim run. We will also re-open for the final weekend if possible. Right now at 7:00 am the sky is blue with a low cloud over the summit and today is forecasted to be sunny and partly sunny and in the 50's. We could get some light showers later today and tonight and there is the possibility of an early shower tomorrow and then partly cloudy and warm again for Saturday and sunnier on Sunday. I think the skiing from the Summit to the Glen House is going to be really nice for the next three days. The golf course is also opening tomorrow on the front nine and the Adventure Games are tomorrow as well with the kids games on Sunday. Finally, we have a Sunday non-denominational service at the Glen House at 7:20am. Rev Wick will lead the service as usual and the GMX lift will run at 7:00 to bring people up to the service.

Lostone
04-14-2006, 07:59 AM
8) What a great day to be out there, today! 8)

Weather.com says sunny and in the 60s by 1:00!