PDA

View Full Version : Roxbury Gap

summitchallenger
04-08-2006, 08:49 PM
How is it to drive? In comparison to Bethel Mountain?

Am thinking about passes for next season...biggest roadblock (no pun intended) is the drive from WRJ. Clocked it today via 89 and 100B 80 miles one way...too much for a regular visit.

the BHL
04-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Roxbury Gap is a crap shoot at best. Usually plowed but unpaved, steeper and more hairpin turns than Bethel Mountain Road, the Gap is rutted beyond passage in mud season. I avoid it completely . . . it saves me - what? - 10 minutes from Boston? BTW, for my money White River Junction is "almost there!" Suck it up, dude!

mikec13
04-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I have never had a problem with the gap during the ski season...cant speak to the mud season

win
04-09-2006, 07:55 AM
I used to drive this almost every weekend from Connecticut for twenty years until I moved up here. 89 to 100B definitely adds 15-20 minutes to the trip. I almost always go over The Roxbury Gap. Yes, it can be rutted in mud season, and if there is an ice storm I would definitely avoid it. However, the two towns do a very good job of plowing and sanding nad most days it is in good driving shape. In the past twenty years I can only remember not getting over it,once, but there were a few winter nights when I had to creep down the Warren side in low 4-wheel drive very cautiously. A nervous driver should avoid it. Many of my friends swear by the Bethel gap for the reasons BHL says, and it may only add 5 minutes or less to your trip. Exit 4 on 89 is 30 miles from WRJ and from exit 4 over the Roxbury gap to the base of Sugarbush is under 30 miles. It normally takes me 1 hour, unless I get stuck behind a slow poke on 12-A. If you take this route, watch your speed going through Roxbury and coming down into Warren. The radar guns are out Friday night.

castlerock
04-09-2006, 10:12 AM
As for the gap If you have 4 snows, it is typically no problem. If you have AWD/4WD and snows it is no problem. Yes I sometimes skip it in mud season, but that is because I have a car with a sport pkg (i.e. lower suspension). but in my wife's Honda Pilot it is a no brainer. It saves 15-20 minutes over 100B. I find the Bethel route at least 10 min longer, and potentially more as 100 isn't always in the best shape and can be slow....

The real debate with no right answer is whether to approach Roxbury from the south or north. I prefer the north. (exit 5, then south on 12A) It takes the same total time as the exit 4 route (exit 4 then north on 12A), with less time on back roads. Besides my kids get less car sick on the exit 5 option!

ski_resort_observer
04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
During mud season that little shortcut Lovers Lane can be a muddy mess. I agree that the Norwich exit is faster than the Randolph exit, unless your kids need a McDonalds fix. There has been alot of posts on other forums as well as this one about Roxbury Gap way or the Rt 100B.

The Bush has alot of employees who live in the Northfield area and they drive it everday, no problem. For me tho, in the winter, I just avoid it, I have 4WD truck so I know I would make it, I guess taking the extra time is worth knowing you will not have a problem with the road. I'm not willing to risk a hassle which might ruin and entire day for 10-20 min, but that's me. Course, what a view of the valley and the Bush your treated to when you crest the gap coming from Roxbury.

Plowboy
04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
I commuted to Vermont Tech., Randolph over Roxbury Mtn.( from Warren side, Warren Mtn. from Roxbury side??) for 3 yrs. Never had a problem. IMO the interstate is worse when it snows.

My vote goes to Bethel Mtn. as the best way to or from WRJ. Which ever way you go, be safe and slow down, mister man seems to be out there more and more. Up in Burlington they are handing out tickets for 5 mph over in the 55 mph zone. 42 tickets in 3 hrs!!!!