PDA

View Full Version : Win to participate in the AlpineZone Ski Area Chellenge!

04-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Obviously, given Win's participation here, some of you may not see the value of his participation in a structured format like the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge (http://skiing.alpinezone.com/articles/challenge/). However, I'm hopeful that his participation will in fact encourage others in upper managment at other ski areas to participate, and hopefully also post regularly on the AlpineZone forums. I like to think that the challenge has in some way resulted in ski area management being more willing to interact with the skiing public online. Win's visibility here is evidence of that.

With that said, I'd like to ask the SB fans here to construct some compelling questions and post them in THIS THREAD (http://forums.alpinezone.com/8213-2006-alpinezone-ski-area-challenge-sugarbush-owner-operator-win-smith.html) on AZ. I have no doubt that Win will do a great job and respond candidly. Perhaps even some insight into future plans will be disclosed. Enjoy!

bullwheel12
04-13-2006, 11:39 AM
I imagine Win is on here because he cares about the public's opinion of him and his mountain... I feel it is so great and informative to read what He has to say about the public's thoughts and unique ideas...as a passholder and daughter of a homeowner at the 'bush, it is essential to be aware of Win's intentions of the future for SB. On another note, it's scarey to see so many lot's being cleared and prepped for development, around the golf course, and on inferno... I know it's inevitable for any area that wants to make money, but I love the calm and quiet of the golf course road and west hill...things are gonna change aren't they... I'm nervous, anxious, i dunno, i don't want to lose my love for area...

smootharc
04-14-2006, 02:15 PM
On another note, it's scarey to see so many lot's being cleared and prepped for development, around the golf course, and on inferno... I know it's inevitable for any area that wants to make money, but I love the calm and quiet of the golf course road and west hill...things are gonna change aren't they... I'm nervous, anxious, i dunno, i don't want to lose my love for area...

....your concerns are valid....development is inevitably happening.....but I'm hopeful the "scope and scale" of said development is going to be a fraction of the "mountain madness" you see elsewhere.

ski_resort_observer
04-14-2006, 03:09 PM
I don't think your going to see massive developements in the valley or on the access rd and other area roads. You have to realize that real estate developement in the valley has been sedentary at best for the last 15-20 years. That townhouse developement on the corner of Golf Course Rd and the Access Rd was the first in the area in 15 years.

It was almost comical when I was talking to someone on the phone who was checking availability for a condo and they said " I would like to stay in a place that is fairly new" , course I would give them the professional answer but I also wanted to say " is 20 years new enough for ya?". I think the valley could stand some developement but don't think it will become like Kmart, Stowe or those out of sight expensive ski towns out west.

win
04-15-2006, 09:25 AM
I am looking forward to getting the questions.

With respect to development, I could not agree more that the trick is balance. We own the only land that is directly accessible to either mountain and still available for development, so we are eager to maintain the balance that attracted us as well as others to the Valley. Some development is necessary as was mentioned by others. There are many. many fewer rentable beds available today than a decade ago, and the today's destination visitor wants convenience and modern amentities. There are many checks and balances on development in Vermont and even more in the Valley towns. There is also very little land available for development in the Valley which is one reason why values are increasing and why some form of affordable housing is important. The Golf Course development ( not ours) used the only piece of land that was available on golf course road for a large development, and the only other pieces that could be developed are across from the Paradise Deli (still owned by Les Otten) and the old Rosita's land. They are limits to what can be done on both pieces. The piece on Inferno was purchased by a group of Sugarbush "loyals" who will be building nice private homes for themselves and selling lots to others. There are 20 in total. There will also be over 50 acres of common property that will be preserved. From what we know of the project it appears that it will fit well into the Valley environment. I don't think anyone needs to fear a 'Kmart." We appreciate that the uniqueness of the Valley is what gives it it's value.

Plowboy
04-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Win, what about development @ ME? I know you subdivided a couple of lots on the High Rd. out of a bigger chunk of land. Any plans for the rest of this land? More houses. condos, hotel, new base lodge? I think the town of Fayston has adjusted some zoning regs that would allow for future development.

Plowboy

bullwheel12
04-15-2006, 04:27 PM
I guess i didn't realize the age of the condos around the mountain... but it is obvious i suppose- they're old. Thanks for the input on the worry of over-development... I will try my best not worry about a k-mart taking over the valley!

smootharc
04-17-2006, 06:34 AM
The Golf Course development ( not ours) used the only piece of land that was available on golf course road for a large development, and the only other pieces that could be developed are across from the Paradise Deli (still owned by Les Otten) and the old Rosita's land.

....sit on the corner for years and years ? There's a six acre building lot unsold for a substantial amount of time.

Generally speaking, it doesn't seem like there's really anywhere develoment madness could even occur, even if a developer decided to go nuts. I'm sure savvy developers take one look at the valley....and head elsewhere for many of the reasons stated in this thread.

05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Win's responses are in!

http://skiing.alpinezone.com/articles/challenge/2006/response.htm?resort=sugarbush

Tin Woodsman
05-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Job really well done by Win. He didn't duck any questions and gave us as much detail as we could want. His passion is tangible. And, what do you know - it seems like the possibility of a terrain expansion above Inverness isn't dead after all!

Tin Woodsman
05-09-2006, 11:44 AM
SkiMRVers - if you haven't checked out the AZ challenge thread over on AZ, I highly recommend doing so. Win recently checked in with some interesting nuggets here:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/8213-2006-alpinezone-ski-area-challenge-sugarbush-owner-operator-win-smith-10.html