PDA

View Full Version : best route from NYC/Albany

ski_resort_observer
03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
howie T2 asks...I don't know about the best route from Albany as I am coming from Northern Westchester county, but would be interested to know any way from route 22. Currently I take 22 to 7 (NY) East to 297 to 7 (VT) north and then through Rutland via 4 to 100 North. Would love to be able to cut Rutland out of the equation.

I thought we already had a thread about this but I looked and really could not find it. I apologize if I missed it, feel free to move this.

One thing that is really diferent between the west and New England is that I have found several routes to most every place I am going to.
In Wyoming there is definately only one route to take to get anywhere.

Alot of the Sugarbushers I know from Westchester County use the I95>I91>I89 route. They say it is the fastest. Even tho it's longer in miles, cruising along at an unrestricted 75mph vs driving the state/local roads like Rt 22, Rt 7(the undivided part), Rt 103, Rt 4 or Rt 100 where you may only average 40mph is the way they go. Please realize their are a number of opinions on this.

My brother lives in Clifton Park, just north of Albany. When traveling to and from the Capital District from the valley, once again there are several ways to go. Since they are about the same timewise I either go north on I87 to exit 20>Rt149>Rt 4>Rt100, there is a shortcut to avoid some of the lights(my wife is a RutVegas native) in Rutland. For a change of scenery I go thru Troy on Rt 7>Bennington>Rutland. There is a new shortcut east of Bennington to get to Rt 7 north. There are several variations of these two routes from Rt 4 past Whitehall which does avoid Rutland, like Rt22 and Rt22A and from Rutland north, like using the three gaps on the west side of the Greens. I usually do the Rt 4 to Rt 100 cause it seems to be the most direct but again I know there are several opinions on this.

HowieT2
03-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Alot of the Sugarbushers I know from Westchester County use the I95>I91>I89 route. They say it is the fastest. Even tho it's longer in miles, cruising along at an unrestricted 75mph vs driving the state/local roads like Rt 22, Rt 7(the undivided part), Rt 103, Rt 4 or Rt 100 where you may only average 40mph is the way they go. Please realize their are a number of opinions on this.

I believe this to be true if you are coming from Southern, Central or Eastern Westchester. Those areas have quick access to major highways feeding 91 or 87.

However, I have found for me, in the North East part of Westchester, it is to far out of the way to go to 287 or 87 or even 84 when I can be on the Taconic in 10 minutes. I believe this route would be faster of you are within 10 minutes of the Taconic.

I tried taking 87 NYS Thruway in a number of configurations and never beat 4:35.
I tried 84 to 91 at least 4 times and never beat 4:45. This seems to be inline with what was expected.
But I have consistently on the last 4 runs made using the Taconic route made it between 4:05 and 4:30.

Would like to hear others experiences.