PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush 3-20

Lostone
03-20-2006, 09:40 PM
3-20 Powder day. Site said 6”, but there was more on the top than that, by the time I got out. Got to the Gatehouse lift about 8:58. Figured it would be hard to get to Bravo in time for opening, and as I was able to get on the first chair on Gatehouse… Did a first run off Gatehouse. Rode up with a couple people , but blasted off from the top. Down Hot Shot and around Waterfall. Wasn’t enough powder to justify Waterfall for a first run. Second Thoughts and Overshot were boot-high powder. Flat terrain, but fluffy fun. The second part of Hot Shot, the visibility got really weird. I had to slow down and make much wider traverses than I usually do in powder. And there wasn’t too much powder, which I was hoping was due to the late grooming. Shot over to Bravo.

Screamed a bunch off Super Bravo. Just kept finding powder. First one Domino Chutes to Lower Organgrinder. Some powder was boot high. Some was to my knees, with occasional spots above my thighs. (Ok, so I’m really only 2’ tall, but even so… I totally blasted! I was officially powder hounding! No shortage of powder over there. Birdland and Murphy’s Glades had been so tracked that I was shocked to find how much untracked was on Lower Organgrinder, both the top and bottom parts. It was my second run, but I was blasting.

Next I went over to Snowball to Lower Snowball. I set down a set of tracks, then came back for a repeat and closed the eights on Lower Snowball.

The next time up, I found Win and Hardy at the top of Bravo. I went up and registered a complaint about the crappy conditions. Win just smiled at me and said, “And it’s always on your day off, huh?” Another two down the front, the first doing the top turn onto Lower Jester to Lower Organgrinder, and the second cruising Lower Jester all the way, not being off the untracked for any more then 30 yards, the whole way.

The loser of the day was Twist. Heard that it was opening, over the radio. Stopped at the top. Lotsa snow on top, but I just knew those bumps lying just below it had teeth. But there was only one set of tracks. As I was deciding, A guy came up from behind, saw the Thin Cover sign and said that he wondered how thin it was. I said “Believe it.” Then I pointed out that there was only one set of tracks. Then I started down the trail, saying, “Now there are two.” Got down a little way and heard him say “Now there are three.” (There’s a sucker born every minute!) :roll: :lol:

The winners? That would be the rest of the mountain. Did Heaven’s Gate three times. First time I hit the traverse to Organgrinder, laying down a good set of knee deep tracks along the way. Organgrinder hadn’t been groomed, so you had to watch what was under that powder, but there was enough powder that you didn’t have to watch that much. :D

I left around 3:00, having just made two surprisingly good runs on Morning Star. I had almost nothing left. To be a little more precise, I was borrowing from some future day to be named later. GREAT DAY!

smootharc
03-21-2006, 07:41 AM
....our patience has been rewarded.

I do take exception to your lazy, indolent 8:58 starting time, Lo. Skip the shower and personal hygiene next time, and make sure you're standing at Bravo by 6:15am next pow day, okay ? :lol:

If you're out and about today, give a tree report if you can. Additional cover from Sunday night must have made the places I found on Sunday all that much better ! Sweet....

Lostone
03-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Excuse me SIR! :x

On a weekday lifts don't open until 9:00! :x

:lol:

Slow beginning today, but I will be out.

I'm so sore! :wink:

smootharc
03-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Excuse me SIR! :x

On a weekday lifts don't open until 9:00! :x

....and hereby retract all false accusations, without predjudice, and with hopes your lawyer won't be in touch with my lawyer, good sir ! :lol:

Lostone
03-21-2006, 09:28 AM

:wink:

03-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the report! It's shaping up great for my visit on Friday!