PDA

View Full Version : The downward spiral..

xskierofsugarbush
03-19-2006, 02:26 AM
It was a sad day at the bush today. The Tooth closed for ever in true Winn Smith Style... Lame!! Oh well..

Snowman
03-19-2006, 07:56 AM
I thought it was a pretty good day. Could've been better with more snow, but it skied pretty well for most of the day. If we blame Win for the hard snow, are you giving him credit for the snow on Thursday? Shoulda seen Spillsville! :D

Oh... You're saying it was a bad day because the Blue Tooth closed? Ya know, if all you whiners had been there often enough to keep it going, they woudn't have to have closed it.

And how many of you were willing to donate how many thousands of dollars to keep it open? Seems like you are saying it was a good place to keep open with someone else's money. :roll:

Sugarbush is a place to ski. (Ok, and ride, too. :wink:)

I'll bet there is more night life within 30 miles of where you live. Why would you think they should support your need for drinking? They have taken the task of giving you a place for daytime fun. They've decided to let someone else handle the night life.

Feel free to step in, buy one of the available places or build one of your own and you can make it sail without competition from Sugarbush. 8)

Plowboy
03-19-2006, 09:07 AM
The Blue Tooth has been in a downward spiral long before Win bought it. Before Win bought it the 4sale sign went up every spring and back down every winter. Maybe you should have bought it. Then we could all blame you for the downward spiral of the BT. Hope you and Schusseur have a good year at Kmart. Schusseur had a post on AZ saying that there was no nightlife at Alta and Snowbird either. :lol: :lol: He is going to stay in Park City next year and rent a car. If it snows he might not get up the Canyon rd., but he will have good nightlife. :? :? :? :? Go to Key West!!!!!

Why do you care? You are a xskierofsugarbush. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: You are also the:arrow: currentwhinerofsugarbush.

summitchallenger
03-19-2006, 02:57 PM
More negativity about the 'bush :roll:

xskierofsugarbush
03-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Maybe if the Sugarbush hired Management didn't have a blue grass on many Saturday nights last year I would have been there more. I tried but Blue Grass is not a party band. The guys are great but its not what the ski house groups want to hear. They killed the business last year that they had revived the previous year with marginal bands. They never truly tried to make the place work.

And yes I am whining because I am bored out of my skull every freaking weekend!!

Snowman
03-20-2006, 04:04 PM
1) As pointed out a number of times, the Tooth has had problems for years. You may say this or that would have made them last, but there was just not enough business to make the place pay, enough of the time.

2) As for it closing in lame style, I thought it was packed. :roll:

If that many people had gone there every week of ski season they might have had a chance. Still, there were all those other months. :?

3) If you are bored out of your head every weekend, you need to learn how to entertain yourself. Nice if someone else foots the bill, but sometimes you have to understand when they say it doesn't pay enough. It will be interesting to see how you do starting your own bar/nightclub. :roll:

xskierofsugarbush
03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
The place was crazy packed two years ago for a good chunk of the season.. If it worked once it could have worked again...
I would have been ok with it if there was a night spot planned in the new development on the mountain that was open past 8:00pm.

Snowman
03-21-2006, 08:31 PM
The place was crazy packed two years ago for a good chunk of the season.. If it worked once it could have worked again... Did they make money? It would seem that if they did, they'd either start doing the same thing the next year and switch back if their change for he next year didn't work?

I admit to not being knowledgeable about what their profit was. I only know the place has always looked like they were going out of business, to me.

I would have been ok with it if there was a night spot planned in the new development on the mountain that was open past 8:00pm.

Know what? I agree with you. :shock: :lol:

I would think the resort needs on mountain entertainment. Just makes sense. It might also help with the four season resort plan.

I just don't think the Blue Tooth was in the right place for that. I think I'm backed up on that idea by the fact that it was always for sale.

Insider
03-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Below is an invitation from Win Smith. Who's game?

I read with a great deal of interest the comments about the Blue Tooth and the other related discussions – especially from JMON. Rather than respond to these very uninformed and naïve comments, I would like to invite all participants of skimrv.com to share a beer with me this Saturday, March 25th in the Mushroom at 4pm. I will be happy to discuss any and all topics with you, listen to your opinions and give you mine as well. You can RSVP to me at wsmith@sugarbush.com or just show up.

Hope to see you there,
Win

tumbler
03-22-2006, 12:05 PM
The place was crazy packed two years ago for a good chunk of the season.. If it worked once it could have worked again...

Snowman's point is a good one - if it was packed, did it also make money? Remember, it still comes down to a short season to pay for a years worth of expenses. I'm a few years removed from my ski house days, but the Tooth was perennially for sale in the mid - late 90's. Consider this as well: perhaps it managed a small profit, but faced an impending cost (like a new septic system) that would have eaten the potential profit for years to come. It does sound a little bit like you are blaming SV for some things beyond their control. If MMT and Gallaghers have closed, then maybe the demographics of MRV visitors are changing?

I don't know what the plans are for the Claybrook F&B - but it would seem to make sense to have a pub-type place in there, no? Anyone know what the final plans are? I'm guessing at least one fancy-schmancy type eatery, but I'd guess that it would support a bar/pub as well.

03-22-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't know what the plans are for the Claybrook F&B - but it would seem to make sense to have a pub-type place in there, no? Anyone know what the final plans are? I'm guessing at least one fancy-schmancy type eatery, but I'd guess that it would support a bar/pub as well.

http://www.lincolnpeakvillage.com/ezstatic/data/lincolnpeakvillage/i/restaurant_large.jpg

HowieT2
03-22-2006, 08:35 PM
I cannot believe all the crying over the Bluetooth. I have spent every Superbowl weekend at SB (with guys only) for the last 6 years. We made it to the Bluetooth once and it was lame (OK the early demise of the game didn't help). When the wives are with us, they cringe at the site of the place. The fact of the matter is if it was so good it would be in business. Furthermore, the important focus must be on improving the base lodge facilities and that is in the works.

Strat
03-23-2006, 07:05 AM
I cannot believe all the crying over the Bluetooth. I have spent every Superbowl weekend at SB (with guys only) for the last 6 years. We made it to the Bluetooth once and it was lame (OK the early demise of the game didn't help). When the wives are with us, they cringe at the site of the place. The fact of the matter is if it was so good it would be in business. Furthermore, the important focus must be on improving the base lodge facilities and that is in the works.
Well said.

boze
03-23-2006, 02:10 PM

I can vouch for this; been there myself on these occassions and it was as described. Nevertheless, I'd like to see some [additional] on-mountain apres ski options added to the equation. The plans for Claybrook lodge look very promising. Yet I have a hunch that, if, in time there are some hugely successful MRV apres ski options, some here would bemoan the 'quieter, gentler days of yore'... :!:

boze
03-29-2006, 05:54 PM
[quote="Plowboy"]Schusseur had a post on AZ saying that there was no nightlife at Alta and Snowbird either. :lol: :lol: He is going to stay in Park City next year and rent a car. If it snows he might not get up the Canyon rd., but he will have good nightlife. :? :? :? :? Go to Key West!!!!!

True that Alta has zero nightlife & Snowbird's limited to the Cliffs' offerings. For me & my priorities it has zero impact, as I go for the snow & terrain - - and Alta delivers on both big-time. And throwing down some waitress-served beers in one of the three outdoor hot-tubs at the Cliff Lodge is pretty spectacular - esp as you will either enjoy an insane view of the stars (celestial kind, and maybe the Hollywood kind), or are getting dumped on with the next day's pow.

Schusseur
03-29-2006, 10:23 PM
For the record - I stayed at Alta not in PC the last time out.

xskierofsugarbush
03-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Now that is where you go for nightlife!!

03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Who needs nightlife if you're skiing as hard as you should be during the day...?

bullwheel12
03-30-2006, 02:14 PM
my god, i was just out at Jackson Hole for the first time and it was truly great- everyone kept saying before i went "you gotta go to the mangy moose..." so of course i planned on it.... But i'm gonna admit something-the snow was deep, the terrain totally technical and steep, after each day i was so kicked that the last thing on my mind was going to the bar...i don't feel like i missed out either...i mean, sitting on the couch with a couple guys and drinking a few "Moose Drools" was a pretty good way to end a mind-blowing day of skiing.

bullwheel12
03-30-2006, 02:15 PM
and that is how people should feel after a day of rippin down rumble...

ski_resort_observer
03-30-2006, 05:04 PM
my god, i was just out at Jackson Hole for the first time and it was truly great- everyone kept saying before i went "you gotta go to the mangy moose..." so of course i planned on it.... But i'm gonna admit something-the snow was deep, the terrain totally technical and steep, after each day i was so kicked that the last thing on my mind was going to the bar...i don't feel like i missed out either...i mean, sitting on the couch with a couple guys and drinking a few "Moose Drools" was a pretty good way to end a mind-blowing day of skiing.

Well, if ya could have dragged yourself into the Cowboy Million Dollar bar at least you would have had some saddle riding experience. :lol: