PDA

View Full Version : How long for Castlerock?

03-16-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm lucky enough to be able to get up there at the end of the month. Will be skiing the 31st and 1st. Is there any chance that the 'Rock will still be open?

noski
03-16-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm lucky enough to be able to get up there at the end of the month. Will be skiing the 31st and 1st. Is there any chance that the 'Rock will still be open? Unless we get mega dumps (note plural)...I'm thinkin' not. There is always the Castlerock Pub....

03-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Looks like a great week weatherwise:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/zipcity.php?inputstring=05674

Any guesses if they'll get enough to re-open Castlerock? I'll be at SB later this week, not next...

summitchallenger
03-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Stowe was great, but they are getting consistent snow and they had a base. In most of Central VT there is NO snow. If we get one dump of wet base snow, and another on top, maybe. But the snow we are getting is too light and too dry to do anything and if MRG is any indication, it's going to take a lot to cover the bare spots. Ground temps and sunlight are on the increase.

Tin Woodsman
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
According to the afternoon snow report, the Rock will be open again tomorrow, along with Mall, Twist, Moonshine, and Morning Star. With more snow in the forecast, ya'll better get out while the getting is good.

Still trying to figre out how "at least 15" up top" equates to only 11" reported in the last 72 hours.

03-20-2006, 08:21 PM
According to the afternoon snow report, the Rock will be open again tomorrow, along with Mall, Twist, Moonshine, and Morning Star. With more snow in the forecast, ya'll better get out while the getting is good.
Rock on! Please hold on until Friday! I need to experience my annual Castlerock religious experience!

Lostone
03-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Not sure of The Mall, but Twist, Moonshine and Morning Star were open today. I was on all three... and I don't know why. :roll: :lol:

Well, except for Morning Star, which called out to you when you went over it. That was in the afternoon, and it was still reeeeal nice!

Haven't heard anything about the rock, but was thinking about it, today, because of this thread.

Mtnlady
03-21-2006, 06:12 AM
has all CR trails open, lift closed. Patrol will be stationed in the Gables. Get your hike-ski legs on! Hopefully wind will not be the issue at the mountain that it is being at this moment at my Brookfield home.

Don't ask why "no lift"? Word is patrol went up there this past weekend to start clean-up - rolled the area around the bridge, but it wouldn't hold up to lift traffic. Neither may the terrain, unless it keeps doing these snow showers...

Just when you think it can't get good again, it does 8)

Mtnlady
03-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Just arrived - this one IS on Mtn Time: windholds on HG and NL - thus putting a stop on
Hike-Ski to CR c/o impossible patrol coverage - stay tuned - will keep you posted.
Just lifted WH on Inverness - maybe an optimistic sign. Everything else @ ME except
Sunny D is on WH.

Greg - I can just hear you thinking about this...

03-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Just arrived - this one IS on Mtn Time: windholds on HG and NL - thus putting a stop on
Hike-Ski to CR c/o impossible patrol coverage - stay tuned - will keep you posted.
Just lifted WH on Inverness - maybe an optimistic sign. Everything else @ ME except
Sunny D is on WH.

Greg - I can just hear you thinking about this...
Yeah - I saw all this. No worries. I likely won't hike Castlerock anyway if the double is not spinning. There's plenty of other terrain there to keep me occupied. With only a day and a half there, I'd rather spend my time skiing than hiking. In any event, it looks like it's going to be sweet!

Mtnlady
03-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Windholds have been lifted on NL and HG - patrol is getting squared away up there.
Pray that the winds stay quiet - should be hike-permitted to CR within patrol-get-organized
time.

atkinson
03-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah Greg, no reason to hike (http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002187;p=1#0000 01). Stick to the groomers man! ;)

John

Mtnlady
03-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Just checked with HG patrol - it is officially OK to say: hiking is now open along the Long Trail to CR. Everyone have fun - or gnash your teeth and wish you were here!

smootharc
03-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah Greg, no reason to hike (http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002187;p=1#0000 01). Stick to the groomers man! ;)

John

...you greedy beast ! Or are you perhaps 2 feet 3 inches tall ?

atkinson
03-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Not greedy at all, in fact I dragged four other people with me. The truth is, I have no choice but to follow my nose, it being out in front of me. And when it catches a tasty scent, I'm like a bloodhound on the trail.

Disclaimer: All models in these shots are full-grown humans and not small Adventure Blazers or GI Joe's staged to look like people. The white room pic is of somebody 6+feet tall on alpine gear. No dropped knees to make it look deeper.

Carry on and have a great weekend everyone. I'm off to cover the Crested Butte Tele-Extremes. Send out a cheer for local-boy-turned-tele-hero Dylan Crossman on Saturday!

John

Treeskier
03-21-2006, 04:25 PM
John,

Your pictures look great! Very nice. I am enveous!

Thank managment for doing this!!!!!!

03-25-2006, 06:42 PM
They spun the double today!

Trip report (http://forums.alpinezone.com/8056-sugarbush-3-24-3-25-2006-a.html)

Pics (http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/517)