PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Snow Warning

Plowboy
03-04-2006, 06:11 AM
NOAA just posted a HSW for Washington County till 6am sun. 6" to 14"!!!!!

2planker
03-04-2006, 07:05 AM
My pick of the day for Sunday morning [and this am as well] is Spillsville! The way the wind is blowing at the moment Ripcord will be a sheet of ice and Spillsville will have 2 feet! One side of my driveway has a foot plus this am and the other side is gravel. If you know where to go in the woods it could be a lot of fun. I am sure that Arc1 and his wife will know where to go.

Have fun out there today and tomorrow. I know I will - if the lifts are spinning?

Plowboy
03-04-2006, 07:24 AM
There should be some major drift shots. I just plowed through a 3 footer at the end of my road. Wind seems to calming down abit. Time to boot up. Have fun :!:

Plowboy
03-04-2006, 11:38 AM
ME: Windhold :arrow: Windhold :arrow: Windhold :cry: :cry: :cry:

I saw a lot of :D :D going up the access rd and a lot of :o :shock: :cry: :x going back down the access rd.

Lostone
03-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Just got off the mountain.

Asked a ton of people. The lines were not a surprise to anyone, at that point, but almost all (OK, all but 1.) said that they had a good to great time.

And the above posts about it being a one side of the trail day, were correct. The one who said that conditions sucked agreed that there was powder on one side of the trails. If you chose to ski the other side... :? I'm sorry you chose so badly. :wink:

Now... if we could just turn that fan off... :roll:

boze
03-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Happy to have the snow - no doubt. Just wish some schmoo who studies the weather all day had some idea this was heading our way. Kinda like last weekend when no one saw the 20"+ for the weekend. Now I am sitting on my a$$ in CT and not in VT where I should be.

Treeskier
03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
If you seached you could find knee to waist deep. Exterminator Woods this morning was epeic. Pillows of DEEP snow to drop off of. What a weekend :)

Remember that thing about March being the snowest month...........

atkinson
03-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Click here (http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002137;p=1#0000 00) for some photos from the weekend.

Enjoy!

John

boze
03-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Glad you folks had the gumption to trot up the hill for the freshies - and what freshies those look like!!

"March fourth" indeed!

atkinson
03-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Not much trotting up, more trotting across. :) Thanks Hardy!

Speaking of the H., anybody catch him jamming some Jimi in the Castlerock Pub? Nice licks and a good way to top off a sweet day.

John
www.catamounttrail.org

Strat
03-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Question -

I was in St. John (yay! Caribbean!) for a little over a week, the period in which all of this recent snow came... got home last night, and now I'm looking and the window, and wondering... where is the snow? I see about 3 crusty inches outside my house. That's about it. It couldn't all have just blown away, could it? Talking to people back home, I was under the impression that it was positively dumping even down in the valleys... hmm...

skibum1321
03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Question -

I was in St. John (yay! Caribbean!) for a little over a week, the period in which all of this recent snow came... got home last night, and now I'm looking and the window, and wondering... where is the snow? I see about 3 crusty inches outside my house. That's about it. It couldn't all have just blown away, could it? Talking to people back home, I was under the impression that it was positively dumping even down in the valleys... hmm...
It was very fluffy snow. A lot of it blew around. And then the sun shone down on Sunday and compacted everything in its path.

castlerock
03-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Question -
I was under the impression that it was positively dumping even down in the valleys... hmm...

It was an extreme example of orographics and microclimates. This slope hammered the western slopes of the Northern and North Central Green Mountains. From Abraham to Stark, the ridgeline got close to two feet. The western slope valleys got hammered as well. As soon as you got east of the ridge, the snow "disappeared"

Sunday morning I was in the corral when Heaven's gate opened. Went directly into Hughies (sp) was first in with my son and had multiple feet of fresh. I then dropped him off at Blazers and figured a Slide Brook was worth a shot since I was at the bottom of Gatehouse. I was surprised to find 4", maybe. But then it made sense. Take a look at the ridgeline photo in the Flash app on the SB site. You can see the difference in the snow loading on the trees and it isn't just elevation

freeheel_skier
03-06-2006, 11:37 AM
There was 5" of windslab in my yard on german flats saturday am. Headed over to Castlerock & it seemed bottomless.....bottomless for this season.

Good Times!

Lostone
03-07-2006, 07:57 AM
I was working that day, and hiking along the Long Trail is... a little beyond where they wanted me to guide. :cry:

Still, it wasn't all that bad at the rock. :wink:

Check out the first two pages of my MSN album. (http://groups.msn.com/JimsSceneryPix/recentpix.msnw?Page=1)

Tin Woodsman
03-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Let's talk about something entirely more useful. Does anyone have the straight poop on the snowfall from this event? SB can't get their act together on the website. Woke up yesterday with a report of 0". By 4PM it was 1" in 24 hours and 3" in 48 hours. Where did that extra 2" come from?

Now this morning it's 7" in 24 hours, 9" in 48 hours and 6" in 72 hours. I may not have taken college level calculus, but that equation escapes me. Then you look at the text - 3" overnight - just confuses things further. Is it REALLY so dofficult to put up a reasonably accurate snow total that conforms with basic mathematical principles?

How much has fallen in this thing and what's it doing now?

noski
03-16-2006, 10:16 AM
I would say 7" overnight is correct. If you figure the snow report like a sudoku puzzle you might get the answer after eliminating the other choices. The wind was blowing pretty hard at 8am this morning up there, so windhold will be an issue.

Lostone
03-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Taking your point that someone needs to do a little remedial arithmaetic, I will say that those that ski powder up there had big smiles on their faces. :D

( I did hear a rumor of someone wanting a refund because there was too much snow, but... :lol:

How much did we get?

I don't know. :lol:

There were runs where the snow was barely over my skis. There were others where I was in waist deep powder. :shock: (Guess which ones will be the ones I remember? :wink: )

How do you measure that? :?

I'd say we didn't get enough. But I would say that if we got 3 feet, too. :roll: :lol:

I heard yipping and yells of "Awesome!" from the lifts. :D

I've got about 4 or 5 inches on my deck... but the skiing isn't all that good there. :wink:

noski
04-03-2006, 09:03 AM
6"+ is forecast for our area. Late Tuesday rain to turn to snow, and continue snowing well into Weds.... I wonder.... :?:

Plowboy
04-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Noaa just updated it to 8' to 14" for Washington County. Plow is going back on.

Tin Woodsman
04-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Noaa just updated it to 8' to 14" for Washington County. Plow is going back on.

My guess is that it will be a little lower than that where your customers are. This event will be highyl elevation dependant. Expect maybe 18" at the peaks with just a few slushy inches in the valley.

Lostone
04-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Snow only on the mountain? :? Sounds great to me! :D

Wednesday will be my last ski day of the season. :cry:

Would be GREAT to have it end on a powder day! 8)

:mrgreen:

Lostone
04-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Snow/rain mixture starting around 8:00 instead of the 12:00 they were talking about yesterday. :D

Can't ski today, :( but hoping tomorrow will be the day. :)

Plowboy
04-04-2006, 08:56 AM
My guess is that it will be a little lower than that where your customers are.

Most of my customers are at higher elevations, and most of those are 2nd home owners(not here). Hopefully I will get some. :D

Lostone: Tomorrow will be the day!!!! Roger Hill says it could be the biggest storm of the season. In with a bang, out with a bang and not much bang in between.

1" and the birch trees are leaning over already. Guess I better fill up the water bucket and find the candles.