PDA

View Full Version : Saturday - Sunday, 2/25-2/26

kcyanks1
02-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Date(s) Skied: 2/25-2/26

Conditions: Powder, ice underneath, thin cover on some natural trails

Trip Report:

I really lucked out. After being worried the week before my trip that I would have pure ice and no Castlerock, it snowed throughout the week and all weekend, and conditions were good on Saturday and better on Sunday. I staff member I talked to at the end of the day said they picked up 3" during the ski day Saturday, though I suspect it may have been a little more at the top. By the time Sunday morning came around the snow may have been boot deep (though that might not have all been new).

Castlerock (skied Castlerock Run, Middle Earth, and Rumble over the course of the two days) had really nice snow, but a lot of rocks (to be expected!) and ice scattered about. On Saturday, Castelrock Run was probably my run of the day, as it seemed to have less lurking ice than some of the other natural expert stuff. Paradise was icier, for one. Mall was in pretty good shape with respect to ice, and was extremely well covered. The bumps on all of the bump runs were very soft and had great snow, it was a question of what was in between the bumps.

On Sunday I did a few runs in Paradise woods at various distances away from the trail, and it was all very nice, probably averaging boot deep snow in most places. I stayed near tracked-up areas because I find it more comforting to know I'm venturing where others have before, so I'm sure for those who seek out their own routes the snow was deeper. Morningstar also opened up Sunday (was one of the few runs closed on Saturday, at least in the AM), and had very nice soft bumps. I did that for 3 runs near the end of the day and had a lot of fun there.

Overall a great weekend, and by far the best skiing I've had since a two-day trip to Jay in late December.

smootharc
02-27-2006, 07:56 AM
....ya lucky stinker. I suffered in Florida, working, for 9 days, which included a bomb scare and exactly 0 beach days. Sheesh !!!

kcyanks1
02-27-2006, 09:16 AM
....ya lucky stinker. I suffered in Florida, working, for 9 days, which included a bomb scare and exactly 0 beach days. Sheesh !!!

Wow, hope everything is OK. Where were you that there was a bomb scare?

smootharc
02-27-2006, 09:58 AM

An art show in Palm Beach....with Governor Bush just across the street that morning someone just had to call one in....

Nothing went Kaboom, though. Luckily, I'd just gotten my espresso with an extra shot just before the scare, so I walked out the door with Java. Thank god !

kcyanks1
02-27-2006, 04:00 PM

An art show in Palm Beach....with Governor Bush just across the street that morning someone just had to call one in....

Nothing went Kaboom, though. Luckily, I'd just gotten my espresso with an extra shot just before the scare, so I walked out the door with Java. Thank god !

Glad it turned out ok. Was it a prank, or something more serious that luckily turned out false?

smootharc
02-28-2006, 07:47 AM

Glad it turned out ok. Was it a prank, or something more serious that luckily turned out false?

The show organizer felt it might have been the organizer of a competing show who just couldn't resist with the gov nearby. Sounds like a conspiracy theory stretch to me.