PDA

View Full Version : 9th Annual Castlerock Extreme Challenge

Lostone
02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
My addition: Ok, so there is not enough snow to do it on Liftline. But The Mall will combine a very challenging competition with a chairlift that will enable more non-expert skiers to go overhead and check it out. I think it should be a great show.

Sugarbush info:

- Competitors brave the totally extreme (Valley House) lift line, known to most as "the Mall." With a chair full of hearty spectators overhead, the Mall will be the perfect place for an extreme competition! You'll have a maximum three minutes to make it down the entire course. This event is NOT for the faint of heart, so wipe off those sweaty palms and get up here!
- Registration is $25 and will be held upstairs in the Gate House from 8:00am to 10:00am Saturday morning.
- Prizes include at least 3 pairs of NORDICA skis with a bunch of other great swag (Sugarbush hoodies, t-shirts, stickers, etc).
- All competitors receive a complimentary Castlerock Extreme t-shirt to commemorate the wonderful winter of 2005/2006!
- There is a mandatory competitor's meeting at 10:50 at the top of the Mall, where the judges will explain the scoring criteria. All competitors will get two runs down the Mall, with the first competitor taking course at 11am. (As a general note, competitors will be judged on their creativity, continuity, consistency, and power/fluidity. Time will account for 1/3 of the final score)
- Expected turnout is around 25 - 30 participants... could be more due to venue change or could be less due to venue change... who knows!
- Judges will be John Beal, Jim Langley, and John Egan.
- Awards ceremony will be held in the CRock Pub around 3 - 3:30pm.
- Start line will be 50 yards down from the Valley House Traverse/Mall intersection, and finish line will be 75 yards above the intersection of Twist/Mall.

THINK SNOW!!!

skibum1321
02-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Should be interesting - there aren't exactly many extreme features (headwalls, cliffs, etc.) on the Mall. Maybe it will attract some competitors that wouldn't otherwise enter.

Can't wait for POND SKIMMING!! They need to move it back to ME and make the pond deeper again though. Last year's was weak.

Plowboy
02-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Maybe they should call it "Mall Mania", like they did in the early eighties. How many runs in a day did they do? I think the record was 47. And, no it was NOT groomed. Seeing John Egan tuck from 3/4 up was pretty extreme.

Ditto on pond skimming @ ME.

skibum1321
02-24-2006, 11:59 AM
They actually brought Mall Mania back 2 years ago. Proceeds went to some charity.

Plowboy
02-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Will it be moved back to lift line now that we have some fluff?

Lostone
02-24-2006, 10:32 PM
This just in... Yes it will.

Great addition! Surprised it is enough for that contest, but it sure was nice today! :D