PDA

View Full Version : What are the current conditions like?

mikec13
02-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I saw 4 inches listed in the Sugarbush email and Plowboy mentioned something about 3 inches...BUT I talked to a non skier and they said they did not see much snow :x ...Anyone ski today? What are your thoughts on this weekends conditions?

noski
02-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I saw 4 inches listed in the Sugarbush email and Plowboy mentioned something about 3 inches...BUT I talked to a non skier and they said they did not see much snow :x ...Anyone ski today? What are your thoughts on this weekends conditions? Lucky for you there isn't alpine skiing on the valley floor. Duh. Darned non-skiers! No, there is no snow on the valley floor, but the skiing at Sugarbush is said to be very good actually. I had innkeepers come in yesterday for a lift ticket and came back today for another one because the skiing was really nice.

Lostone
02-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Skiing was pretty good today. Not really spring skiing, but the snow was starting to warm up a little. 8)

Plowboy
02-23-2006, 09:24 PM
The sking should be great this weekend. I have been cutting trees all week up on Bragg Hill(would much rather be sking!!). They have been blowing snow like crazy at ME. I have never seen them blow this much snow in late Feb. Between the man-made and expected snow showers :?: It should be epic, considering the far from epic season we have had so far.

I plow upper and lower elevations.

My average plows for 18 yrs :arrow: upper 31 plows/year
lower 15 plows/year

Lostone
02-23-2006, 10:18 PM
How many times have you plowed this year?

skibum1321
02-24-2006, 08:06 AM
It should be epic, considering the far from epic season we have had so far.
Epic is a strong word - I wouldn't go that far. IMO there isn't really such thing as an epic day on groomers and snowmaking trails - which is mostly what will be open and in good shape. I would say this weekend will be better than most others this season.

Plowboy
02-24-2006, 08:52 AM
I am still going with epic(considering). I just got 3" in the past hour in my yard. :D :D If you want to stay on the groomers, thats up to you.

Houses this year:arrow: upper 11 plows, lower 6 plows

Commercial :arrow: upper 17 plows , lower 9 plows

Plowboy
02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Make that 6" and still snowing. Time to plow, so much for sking this afternoon :lol: .

Tip: If you drive a white car today, while it is snowing, turn your lights on :!: :!:

djspookman
02-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I just got 3" in the past hour in my yard.

yummy! that sounds GREAT for tomorrow!

dave

skibum1321
02-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Should be a good weekend for sure. I didn't expect this snow so the MRG powder alert was a nice surprise. Nevertheless, coverage is really sketchy in the woods in the MRV so I don't know if I'd go with epic.

mikec13
02-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Just got my Sugarbush POWDER ALERT...they say that "there's talk of a foot of new snow at the top of the mountain"... :) :) :)

Tin Woodsman
02-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Just got my Sugarbush POWDER ALERT...they say that "there's talk of a foot of new snow at the top of the mountain"... :) :) :)

Well when that "talk" comes from the official snow phone, then maybe I'll believe it a little. Until then, it could mean pretty much anything they want it to. Maybe some nut job said there was a foot up there.

TTT - Any reports from the front?

Plowboy
02-24-2006, 09:55 PM
7" to 8" near the base of ME. Wind puts it at 0" to 24". Nice snow showers. :D :D

Snowman
02-24-2006, 10:37 PM
I'd go with the 0-24". I was getting knee shots, but noticed that some nearby were getting traces. :?

but... Powder rules were in effect. :wink:

Plowboy
02-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I was getting knee shots, :wink:

I was getting face shots, but only when I stuck my head out the window. :cry: :cry:

freeheel_skier
02-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Finally some decent snow! I had to leave Vermont for 2 weeks in the Kootenay's to find some freshie fresh. Glad to see mother nature is back to her old self again! :D

Tin Woodsman
02-25-2006, 05:42 PM
In a word: deep. Was boot to knee deep in spots in the woods by the end of the day. Definite 8-10" or a little more here and there up top at the beginning of the day. Starting snowing around 10:15. It was light to moderate until about 1:30, at which point it started to vomit. Probably snowed 4-6" by the time I had to pull the parachute at 3:30. It has continued to just puke at a rate I'd guess is 1-2"/hr as of this writing. Closer to the latter. Tomorrow will be the best day of the season, or at least since October.

Edit: As of 7:30, I'm estimating 8-10" new at the house down in the White River Valley. I'd guess there's a fair bit more on the hill.

Snowman
02-25-2006, 05:54 PM
What a day! Never found as much as yesterday, but new powder all day! :D

Plowboy
02-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Epic is a strong word - I wouldn't go that far.

Must be getting close to epic now :!: Back in the truck for round 2. I see Haps is having a very busy day.

2planker
02-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Today was fantastic. The woods have a good base [not great] higher up, there is still the logs and fall downs that will grab a ski. Lots of smiles behind the gators. It was cold and windy, but good snow and no lines. Now the better news, it is my kids vacation week this week and I will be at the mountain all week!
It mat snow a little more this week.

mikec13
02-26-2006, 08:26 PM
it was truly an awesome weekend...Epic might not be the right word but it was close...the tree skiing was incredible...skied the Mall early Saturday and it was great...I planned on skiing at North today but was dissapointed when I found it was on win hold...Still a great time!!!!

skibum1321
02-27-2006, 07:46 AM
I take back my statement about not being epic this weekend.

I hate all of you that were up there this weekend - I was stuck in RI.

skibum1321
02-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Was the total really pushing 2' for the weekend or is that an exaggeration? If so, I can't imagine that the cover would really be all that thin.

WWF-VT
02-27-2006, 08:13 AM
2' may be accurate for the weekend. 8-12" reported for Friday. Snowed most of the day Saturday. Sunday was still snowing at the mountain when we had to leave at 2 PM. Winter is back !

Snowman
02-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I think 2' is pushing it. :?

But not by all that much.

Hard to know how much is coming down when it is constantly blowing around.

In any case, there was significant snow... and that was a good thing. :wink:

Treeskier
02-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Skied Friday in 12-14 with knee deep drifts
Saturday morning a new 3" in the driveway
Saturday when I got back to my car it had 4" on it at 4:30
Sunday morning my car had a fresh 3"
Sunday pm 2 on the car at 2:30

It was a very light champagne powder that when measured on Sunday afternoon it was 8-12" lower elevation and 12-16" up high in the woods. Obviously some compaction.

Skied/hiked slidebrook 1st third was very nice. 2nd third was very very thin and had to walk the last third 8" of fluff on nothing!!!!!! but rocks. Did move a lot of branches out of the way.

Lostone
02-27-2006, 09:16 PM
So from this and the trip reports... seems like nobody had any fun this weekend? :?

:wink:

HowieT2
02-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Awesome weekend, but there are plenty of rough spots. The snow was light and there were rocks/glaciers it didn't adhere to.

I heard that on Sunday, Heavens Gate was on wind hold.

boze
03-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Up at 'Bush all week, 19th - 26th. Conditions just kept getting better. Paradise woods were pretty terrific especially given that early in the week you could see leaves in the lower woods like Deeper Sleeper and atop was mostly ice glaze for a base. New snow from here out will make things truly epic as branches & fallens will be more or less covered. Got one or both skis snagged on some of those rat basturd obstructions Fri/Sat/Sun but that was exception not the rule. Boot to knee deep fluff made for mostly delicate landings. HowieT2 is right on the money, snow was super-fluffed due likely to very cold air aloft. There was certainly enough new snow to lose one or both of your skis...looking to get back there asap. Now how was it that Dr Weather, NOAA/Natl Weather Service, etc all missed this major snow event?? Dooohhhh!

mikec13
03-06-2006, 01:38 PM
I think we could use the term EPIC to describe the conditions this weekend! Despite the lines Castlerock was great on Saturday and everything of Heavens Gate was incrediible on Sunday...If only I had stronger legs and a wider smile!!!!

ltng92
03-06-2006, 07:05 PM
I was up at Sugarbush last weekend and the conditions have definitely improved. I'm so glad they finally have some significant natural snow.