PDA

View Full Version : Bethel Mountain Road

summitchallenger
02-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Gotta get from WRJ this weekend to Middlebury. Anyone driven this road lately? How is it? Is it easy to find and drive over? Mapquest lists this as the route to use :o

Lostone
02-16-2006, 09:51 PM
If you're getting on, on the Bethel side, I believe it is Camp Brook Road. It is pretty easy to get thru in good weather, but haven't tried it in bad weather. Quite the hills, but pretty sure it is paved all the way. Easy to follow. One turn, and that is at a stop sign with a sign saying to Rochester. Very pretty views.

noski
02-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Like Lostone said, if weather is decent, it would be fine. I have to believe that with the freeze/thaw garbage we have had the road may be a bit "bumpy"- not unlike any of our roads are right now! Which brings me to a pet peeve. Why does AOT now post "bump" signs? What happened to the Frost Heave signs I grew up with. Did too many visitors think it meant an ice cream stand ahead? I only ever see Frost Heave signs in the NEK, but they too are morphing into bump signs.

Plowboy
02-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Go through Bethel on rt 12. Long straight(chevy dealer). Big turn to rt, big turn to left, about 2 miles from Chevy dealer, Camp Brook rd is on left. There is a grass triangle with trees at the intersection. Rd is paved all the way. Most of the rd was repaved 1 1/2 years ago. Rd has been in good shape. At stop sign make left to Rochester. Right on Rt 100 to Hancock. Left on Rt 125 to East Middlebury. Be carefull when get about a mile or 2 past the Breadloaf summer campus. A lot of very sharp turns. Make right on Rt 7 to Middlebury.

Plowboy
02-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Which brings me to a pet peeve. Why does AOT now post "bump" signs?

This year they should post the sections that have no bumps. They would save a lot of $$$ on signs. LOL

summitchallenger
02-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Just got back home from my trek. Whoa :o Why did I not know about that route? SO MUCH more scenic than the other way. INCREDIBLE views at the top of K-mart and Pico. Reminds me of Lincoln Gap a little bit. Road was not bad at all either. Thanks for the help folks!

Plowboy
02-18-2006, 06:13 AM
How was Middlebury Gap(125). Getting a little bumped up?

summitchallenger
02-18-2006, 08:16 AM
How was Middlebury Gap(125). Getting a little bumped up?

That road was really bad...very rough compared to what I remember. They now are posting it as restricted to tractor trailers.

Lostone
02-18-2006, 06:18 PM
This year they should post the sections that have no bumps. They would save a lot of $$$ on signs. LOL

So you're driving along, and the sign says "Good road next 1/4 mile"? :lol:

summitchallenger
02-19-2006, 09:31 PM
I saw lots and lots of Frost Heave signs on 125 this weekend. :roll:

noski
02-20-2006, 08:00 AM
I saw lots and lots of Frost Heave signs on 125 this weekend. :roll: PHEW! I thought they were heading to extinction. Probably used up all the Bump signs already. Frost heaves are like a reward for making it thru winter driving. They make a grand appearence, receive appropriate oooohs and ahhhhhhs then quietly fade away surrounded by appropriate muffler and shroud carnage. Bumps are just holes that need repair or cold patch.

ski_resort_observer
02-20-2006, 09:42 AM
When I was in college a few decades ago I spent my sophomore year in Frost Hall. I am sure you can understand the natural urge to have one of those signs in pretty much everyroom and to collect them as well.

Driving the roads in Vermont is an adventure against mother nature. In recent years I remember Rt 12 between Bethel and Randolph and 12A to Roxbury as being really bad. The Bristol side of App Gap. Thankfully these roads have been repaved. It's amazing how roads go from frost heave after frost heave to almost smooth(Vermont standards) just by letting mother nature do her thing. I also remember the access rd to Bolton being real bad too. You know a road is bad when the holes caused by frost heaves year after year have 2 maybe 3 repair patches on top of it.

Now if ya want to talk about bad roads in Vermont, who can remember what Rt 100 looked like south of Warren after the rains/floods of June 24/26th, the weekend of the Ben/Jerry's One World/One Heart Concert back a few years ago? We had a mini Katrina right here in the Mad River Valley. Boy, I miss those concerts.

skicone
02-20-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm looking at the route from Middlebury to the MRV. What is the difference between the Lincoln Gap Road and Rte. 17? Or is there a better way? We are doing a snow dance here in N.E. Pa.

ski_resort_observer
02-20-2006, 12:15 PM
The main diference at the moment is that Lincoln Gap is closed in the winter, rightfully so. It's very narrow, steep and dirt a good chunk of the way. You can do either the Rt 17 way or Rt 125 to Hancock then up Rt 100. If it was me I would try both as I have no preference but if MRG is your destination the Rt 17 would be shorter.

skicone
02-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the information. We are staying and skiing at Sugarbush. I was just looking for a different/better route than traveling through Rutland.

summitchallenger
02-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm looking at the route from Middlebury to the MRV. What is the difference between the Lincoln Gap Road and Rte. 17? Or is there a better way? We are doing a snow dance here in N.E. Pa.

Route 17 is much more steeper and windier than Rte 125. It is also much more direct than 125. Do not attempt either in bad weather. Nota bene: Governor Douglas commutes over Route 17, so it is almost always "spotless" in terms of snow :lol:

I used to go from Middlebury College to Sugarbush. 31 miles door to door via Route 17.

Plowboy
02-20-2006, 10:27 PM
I was just looking for a different/better route than traveling through Rutland.

You could try Rt 30 north to Rt 73 west over Brandon Gap. :idea:

Or, Rt 3 north to Rt 7 north to Rt 73 west. :idea:

Or, Rt 22A north to Rt 17 west. :idea:

Which ever way you go. It will be different, but it may not be the best. :?

skicone
02-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. We are a ski group, the Cone-of-Silence Ski Club, and are skiing at Sugarbush 3/2-6. To get a different, and possibly more scenic view, I thought to drive up the western side and then over the top,rather than the eastern route up Rte. 100. We'll return using Rte. 100. Time is not of the essence on the way up. Which way is more scenic? Hoping for snow. :!:

ski_resort_observer
02-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. We are a ski group, the Cone-of-Silence Ski Club, and are skiing at Sugarbush 3/2-6. To get a different, and possibly more scenic view, I thought to drive up the western side and then over the top,rather than the eastern route up Rte. 100. We'll return using Rte. 100. Time is not of the essence on the way up. Which way is more scenic? Hoping for snow. :!:

Rt 30 is the least traveled of the 3 and is a decent road. Rt 7 is the busiest. To be honest all three are pretty scenic.

Plowboy
02-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Take Rt 30 by Lake Bomoseen. Rt 73 Brandon Gap. IMO the best scenic views this time of year.

Plowboy
02-22-2006, 12:08 AM
We are a ski group, the Cone-of-Silence Ski Club:

So, you guys are from France and drink beer a six pack at a time :?: :lol:

noski
02-22-2006, 07:51 AM
We are a ski group, the Cone-of-Silence Ski Club:

So, you guys are from France and drink beer a six pack at a time :?: :lol: No....I bet they have to holler to each other when discussing secret things like stashes and backcountry trails...If that doesn't make any sense, then you must be well under 40... Us oldies will remember when that show was in black & white.

skicone
02-22-2006, 08:52 AM
We'll have to introduce you to Agent 99, Max, and the Chief. Our motto is " Whatever happens in the 'Cone stays in the 'Cone " Vegas ripped us off years ago. As far as snow is concerned here in N.E.Pa. there is NO SNOW in the woods. In fact grass is greening and golfers are looking forward to an early ( NOW ) season. I infer from the replies that crossing any Gap is weather dependent and the choice is between Rte.17 and Rte.73

ski_resort_observer
02-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Yup, either way is fine except...if you do Brandon Gap you will end up back on Rt 100 the rest of the way, same old, same old. If you do App Gap you go thru Bristol and past MRG, Bristol is an interesting town with a, delightful, trying to be hip bakery/cafe. For alittle more local flavor their is/was a nice little diner past Bristol. Can't for the life of me remember the name, think it might be the Squirral Cage? Noski, alittle help here. :lol:

noski
02-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Yup, either way is fine except...if you do Brandon Gap you will end up back on Rt 100 the rest of the way, same old, same old. If you do App Gap you go thru Bristol and past MRG, Bristol is an interesting town with a, delightful, trying to be hip bakery/cafe. For alittle more local flavor their is/was a nice little diner past Bristol. Can't for the life of me remember the name, think it might be the Squirral Cage? Noski, alittle help here. :lol: If it is the one I am thinking of, the Squirrel's Nest, a google search uncovers the following...."Pursuant to Judgement Order and Decree of Foreclosure...". Nuff said?

ski_resort_observer
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Yup, either way is fine except...if you do Brandon Gap you will end up back on Rt 100 the rest of the way, same old, same old. If you do App Gap you go thru Bristol and past MRG, Bristol is an interesting town with a, delightful, trying to be hip bakery/cafe. For alittle more local flavor their is/was a nice little diner past Bristol. Can't for the life of me remember the name, think it might be the Squirral Cage? Noski, alittle help here. :lol: If it is the one I am thinking of, the Squirrel's Nest, a google search uncovers the following...."Pursuant to Judgement Order and Decree of Foreclosure...". Nuff said?

I too did a Google search but since I can't spell Squirrel, as you can see, I went the Bristol>restaurant route and came up with zilch. I don't get over that way much anymore and used to be a semi regular customer when I was on the road selling my poster. Love them old New England diners. Not surprised their business suffered after I moved. :wink:

summitchallenger
02-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Squirrel's Nest is GONE? :o :(

ski_resort_observer
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM

I know..would have been a cool place to have your wedding reception :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

summitchallenger
02-24-2006, 09:30 PM

I know..would have been a cool place to have your wedding reception :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

How did you guess, SRO? :lol: :lol: Actually, I was thinking of doing it at that infamous pub at the intersection of 17 and 100. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
02-25-2006, 12:11 AM

How did you guess, SRO? :lol: :lol: Actually, I was thinking of doing it at that infamous pub at the intersection of 17 and 100. :wink:

The wife and I had ours at Betsy's place the Mad River Barn Inn, good time was had by all.

madskier6
05-30-2006, 06:05 PM
I took the Bethel Mountain Road this past weekend on my way up to the Valley. Very nice. The views were fantastic. Unfortunately, my children got a little woozy (car sick) going up with all the twists and turns so I'm not sure I'll be taking that route again unless I'm alone. I'm glad I took it, however.

On a related matter, when I came up to the Valley in mid-April I took what I thought was the Roxbury Gap Rd. by getting off I-91 at Exit 5 and took Route 64 to Route 12 to 12A thru Roxbury. It was a nice drive but when I got to the crest of the ridge (or gap) I expected to see that panoramic view of both Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen that is in the Sugarbush promotional materials (and on their website).

I saw a great view but not that view. Did I not take the correct Roxbury Gap route? Part of the road I took was a dirt road but I can't remember the name of the road I took. Any help would be appreciated.

noski
05-30-2006, 06:41 PM
You took the Roxbury Gap Rd (Warren Mtn Rd, when you are East-going-west...) alright. Trees obscure what was once an awesome view. However....I am not convinced that panoramic shot you picture in your head was taken from that location. If Win/others don't know for fact, I will call the photographer- maybe S_R_O knows that shot location.

daevious
05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
madskier, can you post a link to such a photo?

The best multi-mountain views I know of are from along East Warren Road, also out Common Road to Waitsfield Common. You can see all three ski areas and Camel's Hump, if you want.

ski_resort_observer
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
If this is the view your talking about it is not from Roxbury Gap but further north.
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album02/LP_Village_promo.jpg

With some help from Google Earth I can only guess that it is from the northeast so maybe the Bragg Hill area or further away from there.
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album02/bragghill.jpg

This is the view from Rox Gap
http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album02/roxgap.jpg

I assume this image is Dennis Curren's or Sandy Macy's and they are the only people who can tell you where it's from for sure. Hope this helps.
After further thought I don't think you can see LP from Bragg Hill, too close, I am going to guess it was shot from North Rd area perhaps abit above the road on the flanks of Waitsfield or Scragg Mts. Again I'm just guessing. John A. might know, maybe he will post.

madskier6
05-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes, the first picture in S_R_O's post was the view I had pictured in my head. S_R_O's 3rd picture (from Google Earth) was the view I saw. Still a great view but not the first shot. At least now I know that I went the right way. Thanks for the information!

Strat
05-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Just a note to anyone using only Google Earth -
NASA Worldwind is another free program that allows to you navigate through aerial and satellite image of the globe - it offers hi-res data of all of Vermont, (1 m/pixel, much better than Google Earth, though it's black and white) that provide very sharp, clear views of the ski hills and probably your house. I'm sure many of you know about it already, but in case you don't, the link is http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/nasa-exp/World_Wind_1.3.5_Full.exe
Excellent program, highly recommended.

Lostone
06-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanx Strat. I'll give it a try. :wink:

Dialup warning: This is a 60M download, so it might take a while. :roll:

Ahh... the pleasures of DSL.

On the pic, Vt ski bum thougtht it might be an arial view. I was with him, but the trees in the foreground on the PDF off the Claybrook site:
http://www.lincolnpeakvillage.com/ezstatic/data/lincolnpeakvillage/images/a/RobbReportWinter06.pdf
tell me it is a ground pic.

I'm thinking of East Warren Road or Common Road. I can definitely see both mountains, but I think most seem to show South more fully. Hard to tell, as somebody seems to have stolen all the snow!

I was thinking, as I drove along there, today, tho, what a lovely place to live. 8)

Plowboy
06-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Could from the top of Palmer hill Rd. Near the octagon house.