PDA

View Full Version : Any Local Knowledge

tyler
02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
For someone heading up there for the first time next weekend.

Best places to ski/ride? Best tree areas? Mt. Ellen or Lincoln Peak currently? Best lodge to set up camp? Bars/ Restaurants?

Thanks,

Tyler

Tin Woodsman
02-09-2006, 04:26 PM
For someone heading up there for the first time next weekend.

Best places to ski/ride? Best tree areas? Mt. Ellen or Lincoln Peak currently? Best lodge to set up camp? Bars/ Restaurants?

Thanks,

Tyler

What kind of terrain do you like? What kind of bars/restaurants do you prefer?

tyler
02-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Trees, trees, and more trees. I mean there has to be some snow so I say that with a grain of salt and I don't expect anyone to give up their hard earned secret stashes (maybe a hint would be nice). Other than that we both enjoy a good senic cruiser and classic narrow NE stuff. I can't wait, even if the conditions are'nt ideal (here's to a foot over the weekend!). Should we start over at Mt. Ellen and make are way to Lincoln Peak or the other way around. Which base lodge is less crowded, better food?

As for restaurants and nightlife, we enjoy good live music, pub/bar food, low key local spots. We are staying at the Days Inn in Montpeiler. 8)

ski_resort_observer
02-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Days Inn is a nice place, quick access to I89. If you have some free time check out Montpelier, it's a cool little city. The state house is beautiful, real gold leaf on the dome. The best restaurant is Sarducci's and worth a visit. It's about 3 miles from you since your sort of staying in suburbia. McGillicuddy's Pub has great bar food and good times.

Lots of info about all your questions regarding the valley already in here. For restaurants http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=17

Lostone
02-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Which is better, North or South is one of those things that everyone has their own thoughts. But for parking, most people say North because South is more crowded. :?

(Anyone hear Yogi saying nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded?) :wink:

Food, I think South has far more options. Both places have the base lodge. North has been doing much better with the Glen House.

South has the Waffle house and if you want to really eat there is Chez Henri. Then there is the Pheonix that is serving on weekends, now. These are ski to. (But you've got to be brave, right now. These are at the very bottom of the mountain, and not on snowmaking trails. )

There are a number of places that are close to South. Nothing is close to North.

Then, if you are talking about getting away from the mountain, for food, by all means, check out the Valley room. The thread SRO pointed out has a lot of info... but could always use more... Hint hint! :wink:

tyler
02-10-2006, 01:45 PM
So let's hear it people North or South...

Trails
Terrain
Snow Conditions
Congestion
Lodges

tyler
02-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Which would be closest to Montpeiler North or South, I am assuming North. Based on that if Slidebrook Exp. is running it might make sense to spend the morning at North and then just head over to South. How long is the ride from North to South on Slidebrook/ by car?

Strat
02-10-2006, 03:17 PM
North is closer to Montpelier, maybe 6, 7 minutes... maybe a bit more.... definitely a much easier ride than to South... the ride across is maybe 10, 12 minutes... by car not much different I'd think, but there's the process of deskiing, walking down to your car, turning it on, getting out of the lot... so mabye a little more.

skibum1321
02-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I can't speak to conditions right now but I prefer the terrain at South a little bit more. All of Castlerock, Paradise, The Mall, and Morningstar are some of my favorites there. It can get pretty crowded on a busy weekend but you can usually find a lift with no line (Valley House).
North has some sweet trees, good trails and less crowds too. Some of the good runs over there are Tumbler, Hammerhead, Black Diamond, and Exterminator. If you are there for more than one day you could always spend a day at each mtn. The lift ride across is a waste of time in my opininion although many people like it. If I ride a lift I want to be skiing after the ride, not riding another lift.

Mt St Pipier
02-10-2006, 03:35 PM
You probably won't want to miss CastleRock and maybe Paradise (both at South). The extra distance on the way from Montpelier is neglible. If you get there early, go straight to South. If you are hungover and don't make it until 9:00, head to North and spend the morning there. You can save time and avoid the base by eating at Glen House and then take Slidebrook over to South. It's quicker than driving, although getting back will be a bear. From where Slidebrook drops you at South, you can trek over to CastleRock without going to the base.

I don't know about the best places for tree-skiing. Seems like they are trying to add more, but it's not like Jay.

Pipier

Lostone
02-10-2006, 04:19 PM
North is a touch closer. Slidebrook is about 15 minutes. It is less than that to drive, if you don't count getting your ski equipment off, parking and then getting your equipment back on. :roll:

If Slidebrook isn't running, I would suggest the bus. Picks you up at the top of the parking and drops you off at the top of the parking. 8)

As for the above, I would choose South for all but congestion and snow conditions. And the reason for not going with South for snow is that I've not experienced the snow at North for a while. I know I had a good time on South, but don't know what North is like to say that South is better, right now.

Treehugger
02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
If you're driving from montpelier, it's pretty much the same distance. North is usually less crowded, and you can take the shuttle to south if the lift isn't running. Good trees on both sides. Poke around Exterminator and Bravo/Encore - at North- for starters. At South, you can get some pretty good shots off the Heaven's Gate lift. There are a bunch of little pitches where you can jump off a trail and intersect another at lower elevation. Look at your trail map, and you can spot a few pretty easily.
For dinner, munchies, drinks, I like Localfolk Smokehouse. Casual, with really good BBQ/TexMex. It's in town, on your way back.

KingM
02-11-2006, 04:00 PM
What's all this talk about Montpelier? There are plenty of nice place to stay in the Valley. They're spread around a bit, but nothing is that far away from the resorts.

My advice, if it's your first time you should go to South since it is bigger and has the most varied terrain. If you're going to be here a few days there's no reason you couldn't ski both, however.

Lostone
02-11-2006, 09:08 PM
The reason for the talk about Montpelier is he said he was staying at the Days Inn.

Your point is right, tho. If one was staying closer, they could try both, as well as Mad River. One of the nice things about the valley area is the variety of places, really close by. 8)

WWF-VT
02-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Based upon snow conditions this weekend I would recommend Mt Ellen / North over Lincoln Peak / South.

tyler
02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
How windy does it have to be for them to have lifts on wind hold? I am a bit worried about the wind tomorrow... :?

Saturday looks like it could be cold but hopefiully we get a few inches on Friday night / Saturday morning.

noski
02-16-2006, 02:27 PM
How windy does it have to be for them to have lifts on wind hold? I am a bit worried about the wind tomorrow... :?

Saturday looks like it could be cold but hopefiully we get a few inches on Friday night / Saturday morning.
I am pretty confident that you will indeed find out tomorrow what that mph number is.... forecasting very high winds from the West tomorrow all day with snow squalls, dying out overnight with snow showers and cold on Saturday. Clear and cold Sunday, warming toward 20 Monday with sun. With a wind from due west, I am not sure what trails are more likely to be protected and accessible. Anyone....? Anyone....?

tyler
02-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Do you guys think it's even worth heading out tomorrow with the wind in the forecast? We were planning on skiing Fri. and Sat. but I guess we could do Sat./ half day Sunday? What do you guys think? Does Sugarbush even offer half day morning tickets?

Lostone
02-16-2006, 09:32 PM
The way I see it the plan would be to ski the time between when the rain stops to the end of the day.

It is going to be warm. The rain is supposed to stop, then there should be a couple of hours and then the temps will drop and the snow should start, close to the end of the day.

This is from the weather.com hourly. Today, they said there were to be showers most of the afternoon. I left the mountain at 3:50. Not wet, but tired from some hard spring skiing.

As to what causes lifts to stop, we are fortunate in that their lifts face slightly different directions, so we are usually able to keep one of the major lifts open. That said, I have seen the whole mountain shut down. They won't run the lifts if they feel it is unsafe.

But if they can run, barring a lot of snow coming in after the changeover (Which I really really hope happens! ) I would think Friday has the potential to be the best of the days.

Also, should my hopes come true and Saturday turns out to be a powder day, you'll have your legs under you and be ready.

And no, there is no half day morning ticket.