PDA

View Full Version : What's an "interesting" position?

ski_resort_observer
02-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I apologize if you came here thinking the post was about something more exciting. :wink:

For the past 2/3 weeks I have been abit dismayed because the valley webcam has been down. I PM'd Noski a couple of weeks ago but got no response. Knowing Noski personally I knew she was most certainly working on the problem. Today I noticed a new message "Webcam is being moved to a more “interesting” vantage point". See, as long as you have faith in someone it's all good in the end.

This got me thinking as to where this new "interesting" view might be. I liked the current(soon to be former) view as I have alot of kinship with the Loop Rd, aka Old County Rd. I could tell how much snow had fallen during a storm plus every once awhile I saw a friend drive by and knew I could wait a few minutes and call them therefore blowing their minds on how I knew where they were a couple of moments ago. No, I don't sit hours on end watching it. OK, maybe I did spend alittle more time than I should.... :wink:

So, what do guys think this new and more interesting view will be? In my head I came up with some crazy ideas...love to get a bunch of those. Serious to semi-serious is welcome too. For some of you more creative thinkers don't let the fact that you might have no clue where it is located stop you from replying.

It's located on the Mad River Valley Chamber of Commerce building just as you heading out, going north, of Waitsfield Village on the east side. A beautiful historic building named for some guy named Col Wait. I think? Here is a link to it's current status www.madrivervalley.com

I am going to defer the wacky possibilites to others, although might share if people actually reply, and say, on a pole away from the building in the back to capture the icon view of the church, the one with the beautiful backside thanks to noski et al, and Mt Ellen. While this will certainly improve the scenic value it won't do anything for showing the snow amounts a road does. :lol:

noski
02-16-2006, 09:36 AM
So, from the zillions of suggestions, the camera is moving to its new home at the end of today (2/16)..... See if you can figure out where it is tomorrow. It is in test mode right now looking outside the webmaster's office.

ski_resort_observer
02-17-2006, 12:12 PM
The new view is awesome but personally I liked the view of the road and seeing friends pass by from time to time. :lol: As far as figuring out the location...hmmmmm, it appears to be in the same general direction as the original spot and knowing your high ranking in the church hierarchy I am going to say somewhere on YOUR church, top of the steeple?

noski
02-17-2006, 12:16 PM
The new view is awesome but personally I liked the view of the road and seeing friends pass by from time to time. :lol: As far as figuring out the location...hmmmmm, it appears to be in the same general direction as the original spot and knowing your high ranking in the church hierarchy I am going to say somewhere on YOUR church, top of the steeple?
Nope, not even close, baby. I am anxious to watch a sunrise on a clear morning. Should be a sweet picture. You can sure see the wind blowing though!

KingM
02-17-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't really like the new location. It's too dark and it's a view of things that don't move (apart from a few clouds). I think a web cam should show a scene that is changing more or less constantly. Otherwise, why not just put up a still picture?

noski
02-17-2006, 01:06 PM
I don't really like the new location. It's too dark and it's a view of things that don't move (apart from a few clouds). I think a web cam should show a scene that is changing more or less constantly. Otherwise, why not just put up a still picture?
We are waiting for a better weather day to decide if it works there. When it was clear a little while ago there was decent detail on the foreground. We'll keep an eye on it. If you think of a location with dsl and power that has a decent view let me know!

ski_resort_observer
02-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Okay..it's definately from the northeast and going by your DSL mention I am going to say the roof of the Waitsfield Telecom bldg.

I have to admit I agree with King. I realize the amount of snow on the trees will change and the spring, summer anf especially fall the trees will be diferent but I think more things like a road would be cool. No question this view will yield come incredible sunrises. The Wyoming DOT has about 40 live webcams around the state including the one I check on Teton Pass and all of them include a road...course they are the DOT. :lol:

daevious
02-17-2006, 01:39 PM
I think it's at Lostone's house.

noski
02-18-2006, 07:27 AM
I think it's at Lostone's house. Ah geeze, now Lostone will get all paranoid. Nope, not there either, nor the top of the Telecom building. Maybe next week I will give you longitude and latitude and a clue or two. I am lobbying for a summer camera shot from the steeple (where it is NOT now) aimed at Bridge Street/river bend/covered bridge. You can watch the kids jump off the bridge. Then you'll know it's a hot day.

noski
02-21-2006, 10:34 AM
You might not care for where the webcam is (see www.madrivervalley.com) but it is showing something today you might like. That is not fog, by the way....

Tin Woodsman
02-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Well that's a site for sore eyes.

BTW, where can I find the link to skiMRV on the MRV website these days? I couldn't find it after a few minutes of searching, but that is likely just my own stupidity.

Edit: It was. I now see it's prominently displayed on www.madriver.com and not on www.madrivervalley.com where I had been searching. Might it make sense to add a link on the Alpine Skiing page of the latter?

noski
02-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Well that's a site for sore eyes.

BTW, where can I find the link to skiMRV on the MRV website these days? I couldn't find it after a few minutes of searching, but that is likely just my own stupidity.

Edit: It was. I now see it's prominently displayed on www.madriver.com and not on www.madrivervalley.com where I had been searching. Might it make sense to add a link on the Alpine Skiing page of the latter? Color that "Done". It is at the end of the Alpine descriptive text. I cannot put a stand-alone listing and link since it is chamber members only that you see on the site. This is my compromise. When the site updates later today it will be there. Good suggestion, Tin. Snow is decreasing right now, but it was a refreshing change.

noski
05-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Can we revisit this topic? I have some questions:

Do you want a MRV webcam?
Would you want to have a different location summer vs winter? If so, what do you want to see?
What is it about a MRV webcam you would find valuable? (weather, nostalgia, etc)

I know what I want, but I don't want to presume to know what you want.

Fourwide
05-18-2006, 08:46 AM
I look at it to confirm NOAA/NWS weather reports, and also to see snow and feel better! I really don't care much about a non-winter camera. I'd stick it on top of Clay Brook. Check out the Jackson Hole website--webcam on top of the Four Seasons, right at the base (also cams at a few other places up the mountain, but let's see the base cam first).

ski_resort_observer
05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I too would love to see it at the LP base but also realize it is the MRV cam not the Sugarbush cam. Since the cam is sponsored by the MRV chamber means it represents all the member businesses in the valley. Perhaps a location with those perameters in mind would be best....but that's me.

The best possible solution would be to have 2 cams. It would be 3 except Eric already has one for his place. The Bush needs to put one at the LP base and the chamber could have one with more of a valley/village view.

As I mentioned in my first post, when it was on the chamber building looking at Rt 100 I checked it probably everyday now rarely. Fourwide mentioned the JH cams...have you seen this one for Teton Pass on the Wyoming DoT site. You can check cams all over the state and see what's going on weatherwize.
http://www.wyoroad.info/highway/webcameras/Jackson/TetonPass.html

Fourwide
05-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Agree with all you say there--one cam at LP base, another at a good spot elsewhere in MRV (maybe Main St. Warren pointed south, Pitcher Inn in the background?).

ski_resort_observer
05-18-2006, 10:30 AM
The Warren shot would definately be gorgeous but since the Pitcher and the Bush are joined at the hip perhaps a place in Waitsfield village would be more diplomatic. How about on the steeple of the church in Waitsfield village pointed southwest so perhaps Rt 100 heading into Irasville and Mt Ellen in the distance could be seen.

Perhaps some of those cheap photogs who have gotten rich photographing that church could contribute to the cam's upkeep....:wink:

For me...seeing cars, the roadside, even nearby roofs tell me how much snow has fallen resulting in a decent idea how much the mountain has received.

noski
05-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Perhaps some of those cheap photogs who have gotten rich photographing that church could contribute to the cam's upkeep....:wink:

Well, lucky for you I happen to be a Trustee of the church's endowment... soon to be accepting V/MC..... lol, what a small town!

Lostone
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I've given this some thought. and it did hurt! :roll: :lol:

The problem with a valley cam is that there really isn't a good place to see things happening. Maybe on 100? Near the bridge?

But there would be a great place for it... 1 day a week.

That would be the Farmers' Market. 8)

Wouldn't that be a great place for a cam? And even one that could store some shots for your site?

What does it do the rest of the week? Hey, I only do one day at a time... so to speak. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
05-18-2006, 11:22 AM

Well, lucky for you I happen to be a Trustee of the church's endowment... soon to be accepting V/MC..... lol, what a small town!

:D I think I knew that since awhile back you harrassed me about that exact subject being a Trustee of the endowment. If I remember I posted my poster pic after having removed the church out of the photo and replaced it with some very lovely trees via Photoshop and never heard another thing about it... :lol: :wink:

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=47&start=0 It's the posts at the bottom of the 1st page. :lol:

noski
05-18-2006, 11:38 AM

:D I think I knew that since awhile back you harrassed me about that exact subject being a Trustee of the endowment. If I remember I posted my poster pic after having removed the church out of the photo and replaced it with some very lovely trees via Photoshop and never heard another thing about it... :lol: :wink:

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewtopic.php?t=47&start=0 It's the posts at the bottom of the 1st page. :lol:

Oh yeah..... that was funny. We are actually soon to be using a similar approach with the infamous aerial picture of historic waitsfield since we really are going to launch a campaign to raise 6 digits (to the left of the decimal, of course) worth of endowment money. And I thought it was my idea- must be a subliminal message from that thread! Now, back to the webcam topic...!

Bubba
05-18-2006, 06:43 PM
AIRPORT! AIRPORT! AIRPORT!

Great views.
Watch the gliders land and take off.
Watch the vintage planes.
Watch the aerobatics.
See what the weather is doing.
What more could you ask for?

noski
05-18-2006, 07:42 PM
AIRPORT! AIRPORT! AIRPORT!

Great views.
Watch the gliders land and take off.
Watch the vintage planes.
Watch the aerobatics.
See what the weather is doing.
What more could you ask for?

ooooo I like that..... Need power and DSL...and welcome to skiMRV, Bubba! If you are in the know at the airport, you know where to find me to chat further...

ski_resort_observer
05-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Very interesting.....Ole's X-C Center in the winter, the other point in the Ski the Valley pass triangle.

Lostone
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Yes, Welcome, Bubba. :)

Start your first post with a great suggestion! :wink:

Wonder if they don't have DSL, or whether the telco might be willing to lend a hand?

Public service?

Good visibility?

Am I taking over somebody's job? :wink: :lol:

And then... and then, could we put one in one of the sailplanes? :shock: :lol:

Bubba
05-19-2006, 06:46 AM
[

ooooo I like that..... Need power and DSL...and welcome to skiMRV, Bubba! If you are in the know at the airport, you know where to find me to chat further...

DSL: yes; power: good old fasioned Vermont wiring

camera in a sailplane: yah, maybe. is that possible with the equipment?

Susan,
I plan to stop in on Tuesday.
Dave.

vickeryhill
05-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Well, well, the webcam at OLE's Cross Country Ski - Warren Airport...not a bad idea.
If someone would direct me to the right individual to speak with about Ethernet connectivity, sharing DSL, firewall access and screwing the housing into a wall of the 'terminal' up there, i think it would be a perfect place through October!

Anyone know who is in charge up there?

ski_resort_observer
05-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Steve...welcome to the forum. Awesome having someone from the company managing the Sugarbush and chamber's, as well as others, websites. :D The Bush site sure has come a long way since it's beginnings when it was run in-house by Fernando. I miss him...he was alot of fun.

As far as who runs the various businesses out of the main terminal(lol) at the Sugarbush airport I am sure Susan can help, if she hasn't already,
get you that info. In addition to the airport, the x-c center, it's a great place to have lunch in the summer.

Would you be open to questions about the Bush's website?

Again, thanks for taking time to pop in. :D Hope you can continue to do so. Having some of the valley's "movers and shaker" like Win, Eric, John and Susan already participating here really makes this forum unique.

vickeryhill
05-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Make note, MMGWorldwide is currently Sugarbush's marketing/media company for sugarbush.com and others.

We will see about Warren Aiport relocation for the MRV/VH webcam!

madskier6
05-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I have a technical question about the MRV cam. On both my home and work computers, I am unable to see the cam view when I click on it from the MRV site. I get the following message:

"The AXIS Media Control, which enables you to view live image streams in Microsoft Internet Explorer, could not be registered on your computer."

What do I need to do to enable AXIS Media Control to "be registered on my computer"? Do I need to change some setting in MS Internet Explorer or download some software program?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated as I really miss seeing occasional views of the Valley.

noski
05-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Madskier- et al.... Steve has updated the homepage of www.madrivervalley.com with instructions- detailed instructions- on what to do if you can't view the cam. Madskier, also- please give feedback on how you did on the user end (were instructions good/easy).

madskier6
05-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Madskier- et al.... Steve has updated the homepage of www.madrivervalley.com with instructions- detailed instructions- on what to do if you can't view the cam. Madskier, also- please give feedback on how you did on the user end (were instructions good/easy).

It worked!! :D Thank you. The instructions were good and very easy to follow. Now I can get my fix of views of the Valley.

Now that I can see the view (which is a good view), I can add something to the discussion on where to place the cam. I agree that the Airport would be a cool location in the Summer and Fall. As for the Winter, a view from one of the mountain bases would be good. Lincoln Peak (from the roof of Clay Brook) would be my first choice. Last year ('04-05) I always enjoyed seeing the view from the Mount Ellen base as you could see whether it was snowing on the mountain and whether it was crowded or not.

Strat
05-20-2006, 07:13 AM

It worked!! :D Thank you. The instructions were good and very easy to follow. Now I can get my fix of views of the Valley.

Now that I can see the view (which is a good view), I can add something to the discussion on where to place the cam. I agree that the Airport would be a cool location in the Summer and Fall. As for the Winter, a view from one of the mountain bases would be good. Lincoln Peak (from the roof of Clay Brook) would be my first choice. Last year ('04-05) I always enjoyed seeing the view from the Mount Ellen base as you could see whether it was snowing on the mountain and whether it was crowded or not.
While we could hope for an on-mountain cam, there is no chance that this would happen without the complete agreement of the administration. Apparently, it's quite a touchy issue up there... all I can say I guess is that it would be mighty difficult to convince everybody up there that it's a good idea...

Tin Woodsman
05-23-2006, 11:21 AM
While we could hope for an on-mountain cam, there is no chance that this would happen without the complete agreement of the administration. Apparently, it's quite a touchy issue up there... all I can say I guess is that it would be mighty difficult to convince everybody up there that it's a good idea...

I wonder why that is? What's the harm in letting people see what's really going on up there? We can use the MRG cam anyway, which is at a roughly similar elevation. Seems a little silly not to have one, unless it's some sort of large expense or technical undertaking (which I doubt given that MRG has one).

Fourwide
05-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Hmmmm--can't imagine why the admin. would be against a base cam (unless, of course, they'd instead rather have us rely solely on those, what's the right phrase??--"creative, well-written"-- online snow reports???).

ski_resort_observer
05-25-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm optomistic that the openess and good communicaions that the Bush has extended will migrate to this mystery. I feel confident that in the near future the Bush will be forthcoming with their plans, or lack of interest, in putting a base cam at LP. I too enjoyed the cam at ME and even used it as a vauluable up-to-the-second informational resource in answering questions for guests.

Lostone
05-25-2006, 12:30 PM
As far as the snow reports, the word I heard, and agree with was that this year most of the reports were conservative.

There were a number (Not enough) days when they would say something like 6" and there would be obviously more. 8)

The (not enough) doesn't mean I think they were "creative" more, but that there weren't enough powder days last season. :roll:

But when would there be? :wink:

Fourwide
05-25-2006, 01:32 PM
A LP base cam will both show weather conditions real time and (maybe more important) will show how much is going on at the base. The cam could be positioned facing north or south, likely somewhere on the Claybrook structure, aimed either at Gatehouse lift base or Super Bravo lift base, catching the action in between the new lodge and Claybrook. Again, check out the Jackson Hole base cam--it shows the gondola base and a lift base. Lots of action--gets the viewer pumped up!

Tin Woodsman
05-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Ideally, it would be situated on the North end of the Claybrook structure, over-looking the courtyard between it and the lodge, as well as the Super Bravo base and up towards the top of LP. You would get a feel for base area activity, the short liftlines at SB (in stark contrast to neighbors to the north and south), and the weather up on the hill. I really can't see any downside to having a cam in place - it's mind-boggling.

Bubba
05-25-2006, 03:58 PM
It wasn't all that long ago that the camera was at South.
I believe they moved it just before things got rolling for the "Lodge at Lincoln Peak".
Probably just wanted to get that expensive little toy out of harms way.
Or maybe it was part of mgmt's continuing effort to revive North?

Lostone
05-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I thought it moved due to the plan to open North first and close it last.

I still say that was not a good place for it.

When I worked in Mass, I used to keep a page open at it when it was at South. You could see the people wandering around the base area, and it also had shots of Spring Fling and a few other places. (Waterfall?)

South is just so much more of a resort base. 8)

Strat
05-25-2006, 06:59 PM
The reason for not having the webcam (from the marketing/sales perspective) is (IMHO the rather obvious fact) that they don't want people to check the cam, see wind or other adverse conditions, and not come buy lift tickets. Obviously this downside can be refuted, but I believe that's about it.

ski_resort_observer
05-25-2006, 09:22 PM
The reason for not having the webcam (from the marketing/sales perspective) is (IMHO the rather obvious fact) that they don't want people to check the cam, see wind or other adverse conditions, and not come buy lift tickets. Obviously this downside can be refuted, but I believe that's about it.

To sort of trick people into driving up from Burlington, for example, so they can buy a lift tik is not very good for customer relations and is something I don't think the Bush would do. I also think the cam would not be very telling as far as wind hold on the upper mountain lifts anyway. Lostone made a great point about the Bush under reporting snow conditions which I agree with 100%. I think during the ASC days the Bush had gotten a rep for over reporting and Summit was basically overcorrecting to change that mentality.

Guessing the reasons is not very productive so I for one will simply wait for the Bush to weigh in on this question sometime in the future.

Strat
05-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Guessing the reasons is not very productive so I for one will simply wait for the Bush to weigh in on this question sometime in the future.
Very true - my postulate's probably wrong, and I don't really like dispersing negative assertions anyway...

noski
05-26-2006, 07:11 AM
When I worked in Mass, I used to keep a page open at it when it was at South. You could see the people wandering around the base area, and it also had shots of Spring Fling and a few other places. (Waterfall?)

I always felt bad for that poor dejected guy sitting in front of the season's pass office waiting for his friends. They never came all winter :(

Lostone
05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
I always felt bad for that poor dejected guy sitting in front of the season's pass office waiting for his friends. They never came all winter. :(

Yeah, but this year the poor guy just sat in the maintenance lot. He only got to watch people skiing past him, but nobody stopped to say hello. :(

Of course, there was that rainy period where someone wrapped him in a blue tarp. :) I thought that was nice of them. :wink:

noski
06-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Well, the summer placement for the Valley Cam is done! As suggested, you are now at the Sugarbush International Airport.... www.madrivervalley.com

(edit: Thanks to www.vickeryhill.com the Diner Soar and Sugarbush Airport for their help!)

Bubba
06-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Well, the summer placement for the Valley Cam is done! As suggested, you are now at the Sugarbush International Airport.... www.madrivervalley.com

(edit: Thanks to www.vickeryhill.com the Diner Soar and Sugarbush Airport for their help!)

Thanks Steve!

This is AWESOME!

Lostone
06-27-2006, 08:20 PM

Thanks Steve!

This is AWESOME!

At first I was not too pleased with it. I had expected a better view of the mountains. Then I realized that to get a better view of the mountains, you would have to either ignore the gliders or catch them for a very short time.

I've yet to see either a tow plane or a glider land. I've caught them taking off 3 times, and one of the tow planes and one glider, just after they landed, but so far no shot of them on the approach or landing.

But trying to catch them... can be addicting. :D

What does anyone else think?

ski_resort_observer
06-27-2006, 09:21 PM
You get a nice look at the gliders when your on top of Roxbury Gap.

Lostone
06-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I've got some great shots from the top of Lincoln peak. :)

I swear that if they see you up there, they'll buzz you for quite a while. :)

Lostone
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Has anyone checked in on this for a while?

I just was on the Mad River Valley site (http://www.madrivervalley.com/) and noticed something by the webcam link saying that it had gotten bigger.

I just checked it out, and it is a lot easier to see! :)

Now, if we can get Bubba to stop feeding them so much they might actually start flying those things again! :lol:

Actually, the action should pick up quite a bit, in the near future, as floiage season comes in. 8)

Bubba
09-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Check in tommorow, Lost One as there should be more activity.

Did anyone see the DC-3 land or take off a couple of weeks ago?

Strat
09-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Has anyone checked in on this for a while?

I just was on the Mad River Valley site (http://www.madrivervalley.com/) and noticed something by the webcam link saying that it had gotten bigger.

I just checked it out, and it is a lot easier to see! :)

Now, if we can get Bubba to stop feeding them so much they might actually start flying those things again! :lol:

Actually, the action should pick up quite a bit, in the near future, as floiage season comes in. 8)
Lostone - if you check out the weather page on my site, you can see the webcam blown up to 800x600... with a bit of minor HTML tweaking I can stretch the image to as large as is pixel-ly possible (though of course I can't increase the sharpness, just the size)... at least to a point though, the stretch makes viewing even easier...

EDIT: Alright, so I of course had to try it... check it out: www.geocities.com/sugarbushhistory/webcam.html
Hehehe... :twisted:
8)

Lostone
09-07-2006, 09:56 PM
So I read that, and said to myself, "Hey self... You think the webcam will show that it is night?" And my self said, "Probably, but only one way to be sure." :roll:

And so I looked. I saw a bunch of little dots. They are mostly green and red. I was pretty sure it was the camera being out of its light range. So I looked at the actual camera page and it was not the same. There were less dots.

But I could also make out a light on the top right, that didn't show on your page. I'll have to try to look when it is light, to see how they compare.

And Bubba, I didn't see the DC-3. Pretty good size plane for that runway, no? Why was there a DC-3, there?

noski
09-08-2006, 08:21 AM
I actually had someone email me to say the webcam wasn't working, it was a black screen. I suggested they look at it during the day.

The DC-3 was there to be used as a planter. I think it was the backdrop for a local stunt pilot's daughter's wedding. Bubba correct me if I am wrong. I saw it sitting there, but missed the flights in and out.

The new location for the webcam has been determined for the latter fall and winter perch.... I think you will like it.

Lostone
09-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Is it going to be back at South?

I think I'll start a rumor that is where it is going to be. Of course, should it not be there, people will start to get mad at me... so I'll say I got the info from you! :twisted:

8) I get along so well with people! 8)

:lol:

And one of the first webcams had a line underneath it saying :"Is everything black? Gets dark in Vermont, at night. :roll: :lol:

Bubba
09-08-2006, 03:29 PM
I actually had someone email me to say the webcam wasn't working, it was a black screen. I suggested they look at it during the day.

The DC-3 was there to be used as a planter. I think it was the backdrop for a local stunt pilot's daughter's wedding. Bubba correct me if I am wrong. I saw it sitting there, but missed the flights in and out.

The new location for the webcam has been determined for the latter fall and winter perch.... I think you will like it.

You are correct!
It was an incredible display of local flora(mostly grass and corn). :lol:
Yes, it was a "backdrop". I told him if he has the money to spend on things like that, I'd be happy to let him spend some on me.
But, then again, I didn't marry his daughter.

Bubba
09-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Pretty good size plane for that runway, no?

Yah, it looked ridiculously out of place.
Kind of like a Tonka truck on a Hot Wheels track.
But, it was very impressive to see them get out of here.

ski_resort_observer
09-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Yea, a flying planter would have been a sight to see. :lol: