PDA

View Full Version : Goin to the Bush V-Day

skibum1321
02-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm going to be taking advantage of the $14 lift tix at the Bush on V-Day. Is anyone up for a little midweek skiing next Tuesday?

I had a pass there for 2 seasons in college a few years ago so I know the mtn pretty well, but I wouldn't mind a tour from some of you that know all the little nooks and crannies.

Strat
02-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Considering the probable weather between now and V-day, it might be wise to stay on-piste, if you know what I mean...

skibum1321
02-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Considering the probable weather between now and V-day, it might be wise to stay on-piste, if you know what I mean...
Are the woods at the Bush really that bad right now? The coverage is actually pretty good in the woods at Smuggs right now. I haven't been at Sugarbush yet this year. I figured with the 6"+ of snow this week the woods would be decent. Although if there is no base then they obviously wouldn't be good. How about a "state of the woods" address?

skiladi
02-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Are the woods at the Bush really that bad right now? The coverage is actually pretty good in the woods at Smuggs right now. I haven't been at Sugarbush yet this year. I figured with the 6"+ of snow this week the woods would be decent. Although if there is no base then they obviously wouldn't be good. How about a "state of the woods" address?

They were good , then bad , then good....you get the point. If all the flurries add up they could be good again. ; }

Strat
02-08-2006, 08:40 AM

Frankly I have no idea. But judging from the weather in the past few weeks... 6 inches will but nice but won't do much to cover lot of rocks and roots...

Tin Woodsman
02-08-2006, 09:45 AM

My read is that coverage is pretty good above 3000' - basically above the top of Super Bravo. It is decent is you pick your spots between 2500' (Heaven's Gate traverse, roughly) and 3000'. This applies only to N, NE, and E aspects. Anything off of North Lynx or Gate House is suspect, no matter the elevation. Below 2500' you should bring your brother's rock skis, and go really slowly, if at all. It's 6" of dust on dirt.

skibum1321
02-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Sounds like it could be some interesting conditions back there. Hopefully we get some more snow this week.

TwinTipTele
02-08-2006, 05:44 PM
The state of the woods? Is this a serious question?

They were sick last week, especially up high and on N/NE/E aspects. The rain this past Saturday night did little to the snowpack. Coverage is fine above 3000'; and let's face it, most of the good terrain is above 3000'.

The 6" we've received is just enough to make the woods good again - people definitely didn't track out the woods before the snow so the harder stuff underneath is a great base. The stuff that was beat prior to this snow event (read: the easy access woods that every tourist on the planet knows how to get to) is variable, with great soft snow interspersed with rock hard crap. So, do some exploring and find the goods, because they're definitely there. Don't follow the beaten path; make your own.

South facing aspects and anything below 2500 is not fun right now.

-TTT

skibum1321
02-09-2006, 07:39 AM

-TTT
I don't see why that is such a weird question. I was planning on doing the woods and people were saying I may not want to do that. Just trying to figure out what the snowpack is like at the Bush. Since I ski a different mountain all the time the condition of the woods will obviously be different.

Tin Woodsman
02-09-2006, 10:30 AM

They were sick last week, especially up high and on N/NE/E aspects. The rain this past Saturday night did little to the snowpack. Coverage is fine above 3000'; and let's face it, most of the good terrain is above 3000'.

The 6" we've received is just enough to make the woods good again - people definitely didn't track out the woods before the snow so the harder stuff underneath is a great base. The stuff that was beat prior to this snow event (read: the easy access woods that every tourist on the planet knows how to get to) is variable, with great soft snow interspersed with rock hard crap. So, do some exploring and find the goods, because they're definitely there. Don't follow the beaten path; make your own.

South facing aspects and anything below 2500 is not fun right now.

-TTT

Is there an echo in here?

Though I would take issue with the assertion that all the good terrain is above 3000'. I don't think that's true at all. A lot of it is above 3000', but there's a healthy slice that starts above 3000' before heading down to 2000' or so, and that's pretty beat right now. Then you have the whole S aspect thing, which takes out a pretty large slice. And don't get me started on the lower elevation stuff that faces north. At most, I'd say 50% of the woods are skiable at normal speeds right now, and that's being generous.

skibum1321
02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
How are the open trails skiing right now? I'm especially wondering about Castlerock, Paradise, and The Mall.

Tin Woodsman
02-09-2006, 12:45 PM
How are the open trails skiing right now? I'm especially wondering about Castlerock, Paradise, and The Mall.
Castlerock and the Mall were bony last Saturday. Didn't get to Paradise. Not sure right now.

Another 2-4" would help to soften things up. Then there's the whole Sat night/Sunday storm that could change everything.

skibum1321
02-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Another 2-4" would help to soften things up. Then there's the whole Sat night/Sunday storm that could change everything.
From all forecasts I've heard, it sounds like the storm will be moving to the south. Probably under 6", if anything.

Lostone
02-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Stein's!! They've been blowing snow on it for two days. It was the word of the day, yesterday, too.

It is one of those events that everyone is talking about, everywhere around the mountain.

Haven't been dow the mall, but while waiting for my turn to enter Stein's, saw a group of people heading there. I commented that they were going down the wrong trail. Aomeone answered that the snow had been blowing in there.

Then again, the top of the Mall is closer to Stein's than the bottom. :? :wink:

skibum1321
02-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Stein's has to be one of my least favorite trails at the Bush. I don't think I've ever skied it when it wasn't a sheet of ice. Now the woods off Stein's are fun...

Lostone
02-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I don't think I've ever skied it when it wasn't a sheet of ice.

Then you should have been here the last two days. :wink:

It is one of those trails where a good run can change your perspective. :)