PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe spots ?

smootharc
01-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Along the lines of my sledding post, I'd be curious to know of any nice snowshoe spots folks like.

I'm aware of MRG's programs....seen quite a few folks walking along the trails there....but wondered about other nice paths and places that don't trespass, etc.

I would think the golf course could be pretty pleasant. Other spots from the valley floor on up to them thar hills ? Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I think the sales on snowshoes should be starting soon. It appears atlas and tubbs are the big two, but there's an intriguing company in Boulder called Crescent Moon that seems to have some pretty good things. Anyone have experience and preferences here ?

noski
01-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Along the lines of my sledding post, I'd be curious to know of any nice snowshoe spots folks like.

I'm aware of MRG's programs....seen quite a few folks walking along the trails there....but wondered about other nice paths and places that don't trespass, etc.

I would think the golf course could be pretty pleasant. Other spots from the valley floor on up to them thar hills ? Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I think the sales on snowshoes should be starting soon. It appears atlas and tubbs are the big two, but there's an intriguing company in Boulder called Crescent Moon that seems to have some pretty good things. Anyone have experience and preferences here ?
The Catamount Trail winds thru various elevations on its way through the valley and indeed crosses the golf course. People simply looking for a nice walk often use the Mad River Greenway path along the Mad River. Park at the trailhead on Tremblay Road in Waitsfield gives you the longest walk along open fields/riverside. That's a start.

Strat
01-26-2006, 06:31 PM
My parents snowshoe quite a bit, and they like the Golf Course and going up the Slidebrook Road off German Flats up towards Lower FIS. Quite nice back there. They also like heading up to the App Gap and heading South on the Long Trail (though they've gone North as well, just steeper and more difficult).

djspookman
01-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I'd say that the trails out behind the Sugar Run condos on German Flats would make a good spot to go snowshoeing (if you know the trail network that is) nice mellow loops, as well as hard steep stuff!

dave

Lostone
01-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Sugarbush has a few trails. They give out maps at the guest service kiosk. They also have the guided Outback tour into Slidebrook. (Ride Gatehouse up. :) )

Anyone do the Outback tour? Comments?

As for shoes I have a pair of Tubbs and one Sherpa. The Sherpa aren't as wide. I think I like them better.

Good topic(s) :wink:

ski_resort_observer
01-30-2006, 10:45 AM
The Catamount Trail winds thru various elevations on its way through the valley and indeed crosses the golf course. People simply looking for a nice walk often use the Mad River Greenway path along the Mad River. Park at the trailhead on Tremblay Road in Waitsfield gives you the longest walk along open fields/riverside. That's a start.

The Mad Rver Greenway starting at the Trembly Rd trailhead is one of my favs. Easy access, 5 min from downtown Waitsfield, basically flat and the best views in the valley, especially north to Mt Hunger.