PDA

View Full Version : Perspective on armchair resort owners

Schusseur
01-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Just got back from a 4-day trip to Alta. Will have to avoid sparing anyone the gory details for now: arrived the evening after a 2-foot dump of Utah's finest, then spent the next few days tearing up every nook and cranny possible. With that, think I barely scratched the surface.

Let's see, big blue skies, few crowds, knee-deep powder all around, an endless variety of terrain with and without trees, moderate hike-to territory that opens the world up to you, and on and on. Being a weekend skier in Vermont, I think I experienced a form of disconnect from reality for a few days. Yes, it really is that good, and Alta's reputation as the high temple lives on.

On top of that, grooming is just right, the food is decent, base lodges are nice and smiles abound. Except for the armchair resort owner riding up the lift with me. I Just had to laugh. This old codger (who smelled of liquor at 10am) would not stop ranting about the idiotic and senseless decisions the current owners were making. Everything from chairlifts to what not could not pass muster with this guy. He wouldn't stop either. Nothing was right in his opinion.

As I looked around taking in the magnitude of what the place had to offer, I thought it would be very easy for this guy to find the source of all his animosity. All he would have to do is look in the mirror.

Tin Woodsman
01-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Well it's hard to find fault with just about anywhere the day after a 2' dump. That said, I think it's fair to claim that Alta hs made some mistakes with the installation of their two (three?) high-speed quads. It just serves to track the snow out faster. Quantity vs. quality. Personally, I'd rather ride on a slow double and be assured of fresh tracks all day than to ride a HSQ and have to fight and scratch for every inch I can get in the morning.

For the record, I don't drink in the mornings.