View Full Version : Weather Terms

Treeskier
01-18-2006, 01:04 PM
As it is pouring out here I laugh at the snow report new weather terms:

Sneet: some where between rain and sleet
Inmature Snow: Rain
Liquid Snow: Killingtons words for Rain

Snizzel: A Boston's weathermans term for cross between Drizzle and Sleet

Gropple: A Eskamo's term for the styraphome round light pellets of snow. Which can add up to a few inches at Snowbird and Alta. They are very slippery and cause a un-stable layer of snow that can later cause an avalanche.

smootharc
01-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Graupel

graupel—Heavily rimed snow particles, often called snow pellets; often indistinguishable from very small soft hail except for the size convention that hail must have a diameter greater than 5 mm. Sometimes distinguished by shape into conical, hexagonal, and lump (irregular) graupel.

http://amsglossary.allenpress.com/glossary/search?id=graupel1

And, yes, as I understand it very nasty in terms of Avy danger.

Treeskier
01-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Mad River has had a couple new interesting terms:

Sketchy Powder and Loud Powder.

I do see snow over the next few days :)

Strat
01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
I've always thought chopped powder should be a condition for the mountain to report. Definitely not powder or packed powder, but soft, deep fluffiness that's been cut up and pushed around by skis/boards... definitely the next best condition to powder... tracked but not packed.

ski_resort_observer
01-24-2006, 06:23 PM
According to NOAA the valley is going to get 4-8" of the white gold in the next couple of days. Assuming more will fall on the hills. Unfortunately NOAA doesn't always knowa the future. :lol: What a diference a week makes.

Plowboy
01-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Snizzel: A Boston's weathermans term for cross between Drizzle and Sleet.

Chizzel: What you need after you get some Snizzel.

"Right on Roger" Hill say's " up tp 8" in the mountains" , but he hasn't been " right on " to many times this year.

freeheel_skier
01-24-2006, 10:39 PM
FoShizzle!!!