PDA

View Full Version : Conditions?

summitchallenger
01-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Did they open today?

According to the latest report, the temps have fallen below freezing at mid and summit stations.

http://www.sugarbush.com/summarystats.aspx

Lostone
01-14-2006, 08:24 PM
They did open. I didn't go out to see, but heard (and believe) the skiing was quite good.

I'd already decided to turn it into a chore day, but there were many times that there was no rain at all.

Now it is snowing. There isn't much yet, but it is early.

Hoping for a real dump! We need it! :?

Most of the cars are white. 8)

Volkl Skier
01-17-2006, 08:52 AM
All I have to say about last weekend is ouch, the conditions were awful. This was in no way Sugarbush's fault, I think they did a great job scrambling to recover. Gate House was very skiable by monday, but most of the mountain was closed for most of the day because of wind. That was allotta driving for the conditions we got, I was REAAALLY praying for the dumping that never came sat. night... Anyway, my hats off to the folks a Sugarbush for making the best of a bad situation. I hope it stays cold enough this week to get the mountain back into shape. I'll be doing my snow dance.

One thing that does irk me is the blatant lying on their site about the current weather conditions and base depth, its just not right to be dishonest to us like that.

skiier04
01-17-2006, 06:39 PM
lincoln peak was decent sunday, waterfall had some good snow.

mount ellen only had what 3 trails open, and inverness was perhaps the worst open trail ive ever seen, so if you didnt head over to lincoln I could see how you thought it was horrible.

2planker
01-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I was also irked with the mis information. First I want to say thanks to all the mountain staff that busted their butts to make anything skiable. It was nice on Monday to take a few turns.

My complaint is about the snow phone. I know, I have already compained about the web site on an earlier post. I called the snow phone on Sunday morning [my internet was down] and the voice was talking about the glorious 4 inches of powder that fell overnight and the temps are going to be 16 at the base and 0 at the top. It never got above 2 at the base and that tracks with the weather forecast. They also stated that there could be wind holds [ honest and accurate ]. I was lucky and could look out my window and know I was not going further than the Paradise for my coffee and paper. I feel the message was more than misleading for someone who had to drive to the Valley. I know this is not a typical day trip resort, but there is a huge difference in weather from Burlington to the MRV on any given day.

Like I have said before I usually go to the Mad River Glen site for the accurate condition report.

Start the snow dance.

WWF-VT
01-18-2006, 07:52 AM
I also listened to the snow phone on Sunday. 6AM report was promoting a great day with new snow. I am located 4 miles from Lincoln Peak so I drove up to take a look. At that point it was 5 degrees, 30+ MPH wind gusts and horizontal snow blowing off from the Saturday night coating. Conditions looked marginal and my assumption was that the Super Bravo would be on hold.

8:45 Snow Phone report was more in line with reality including a listing of all the chairs on wind hold.

Tin Woodsman
01-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Can someone help me understand how MRG can be reporting 3" of new this morning while SB has nothing? The radar looked pretty impressive for about 6 hours last night after the front came through. What gives?

smootharc
01-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Can someone help me understand how MRG can be reporting 3" of new this morning while SB has nothing? The radar looked pretty impressive for about 6 hours last night after the front came through. What gives?

...with their reports. Perhaps the folks at SB, hungover due to recent weather induced depression, haven't looked up from their coffee's yet this morning.

Lostone
01-19-2006, 06:27 PM
... it might be around somewhere, but nobody knows where? :shock:

It was really windy up here, last night!

As for how conditions are... surprisingly good.

Bravo had the snow groomed into a solid base, but it isn't ice. Almost everyone agreed that what we needed over there were more skiers. (Yes... and snowboarders. :wink: )

As for Gatehouse, it was very good. The base is solid, but almost all of of all of those trails were quite good.

Almost everyone did the same thing. Start on Gatehouse. Try Bravo. Finish on Gatehouse.

We really need snow from the real snowgun, but most of the stuff on Bravo will be able to be worked up. With what is on Gatehouse and a little help from the little guns :wink: I think the weekend looks ok. And that is not what I expected to find. 8)

summitchallenger
01-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Kudos to SB for closing the summits BUT offering a discount day ticket.

No easy task reopening those trails, esp on Ellen.

KingM
01-19-2006, 07:30 PM
The good news is that if we can survive the weekend, we are FINALLY entering a more favorable weather pattern. Not a huge amount of new snow on the horizon but consistently colder temps. By this time next week we should hopefully see, if not a complete turnaround, at least dramatically better conditions.

Volkl Skier
01-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Has anyone been on any of the bumps trails? Stien's, the Mall, Rip, etc? Is it going to be worth the trip tonight?

Tin Woodsman
01-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Has anyone been on any of the bumps trails? Stien's, the Mall, Rip, etc? Is it going to be worth the trip tonight?

Well considering the thaw/freeze, you'd have to be a lunatic to try and jump onto a bump run. Mall is closed. Stain's hasn't been groomed, so that can't be pretty. Rip is open, but groomed. I think you need both snow and skier volume to create bumps. Doesn't appear that SB has gotten much of either since the last rain storm.

arc1
01-20-2006, 12:52 PM

It's been raining and freezing with virtually no snow since before Christmas - so you can expect those runs to be mint.

Volkl Skier
01-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, I didn't say mint, I said worth it. I was out there skiing them when the froze after xmas and they weren't that bad.

ski_resort_observer
01-21-2006, 11:57 AM
It looks like they groomed Stein. Pretty impressed in the fact that the Bush is 75% and MRG is 85%(I think) open today. It's 51 degrees at the base. Once again this bodes well when compared with the rest of NE for the weekend. Hats off to both resorts for their hard work. Hopefully lots of people will come to ski and make their efforts worth even more. With colder weather with a few flakes coming in tomorrow things should continue to improve.

Looking forward to hearing from folks that skied today.

Lostone
01-21-2006, 05:05 PM
It was a womderful spring day!

Stein's was the talk of the mountain.

I know those that like bumps might say that they are upset, but there were never more than a few people a day on it, for weeks. And today there might have been close to as many people on that trail than they've had all year... combined! :shock:

The rest of the mountain also skied like a spring day.

Now the temps have dropped and... it is snowing! :D

I certainly hope it continues. We need a lot! :?

Plowboy
01-21-2006, 06:49 PM
ME

Smelled like fall, skied like spring, but it's Jan.!!!!

How bout the large hail, wind and lightning at about 3:20!!!!

All trails were A+++++

KingM
01-21-2006, 06:57 PM
We only had two rooms at the inn last night with half a dozen cancellations this week and a lot more people who would have otherwise booked, but stayed home. I was pleasantly surprised by conditions when I went up yesterday, but the news obviously hasn't trickled out of the valley. On top of our rainy foliage season there will be a lot of people eating beans and rice this summer here in the MRV. ;)

KingM
01-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Looks like winter has returned and is planning to make an extended visit, according to the 2 week forecasts. No big snows yet, but at least SB can blow snow and not have it melt back into the snowmaking pond every other day.

mikec13
01-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Given what they had to work with they did a great job...I skied Steins today and it was a real struggle...mostly ice and hail with a little bit of fluff mixed in!...I will keep my fingers crossed that the forecast for on and off snow all week holds!

Tin Woodsman
01-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Any updates on snowfall from you local folk?

KingM
01-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Maybe 3" as of 15:00 here on the Valley floor. It's still snowing lightly, but the radar looks like it might be moving out of the area soon.

It's so nice to look outside and see white and the sound of snowplows is like music to my ears.

Lostone
01-23-2006, 09:27 PM
because I have no idea! :shock:

Didn't seem like too much, but whatever it was... It made everyone smile! :D

Now, if we could just keep it coming... 8)

Plowboy
01-23-2006, 09:59 PM
It's so nice to look outside and see white and the sound of snowplows is like music to my ears.

$$$ to my ears. I'm sure you wouldn't mind having a higher plow bill!! LOL

4" to 5" mid valley
3" valley
top ?

strolz
01-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Conditions in the last two days have been pretty good. For the last two days Spinal Cord has skied like a lady. Earlier, Spilsville and Paradise were good but now I think that they are down to the dirt. . Today the top was chrunchy compared to the last two days. However, Snowball, and Spring Fling were skiing like a western trail at about one PM after a nice dump. I am now skiing on K2 Recon's and they are better in the crud then my XX Bandits which I gave away as the waist is the same, The tip and tail are much wider than a XX Bandit. It looks like the ski designers finally got it right. I can carve relatively short radius turns, because of the new sidecut. A wide ski with a carving profile Wow. I realy can't expect any better conditions for January. Going to Europe in Feb. That keeps us going. Spending the entire ski season in Park City would realy keep us going.. who knows.

ski_resort_observer
01-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Conditions in the last two days have been pretty good. For the last two days Spinal Cord has skied like a lady. Earlier, Spilsville and Paradise were good but now I think that they are down to the dirt. . Today the top was chrunchy compared to the last two days. However, Snowball, and Spring Fling were skiing like a western trail at about one PM after a nice dump. I am now skiing on K2 Recon's and they are better in the crud then my XX Bandits which I gave away as the waist is the same, The tip and tail are much wider than a XX Bandit. It looks like the ski designers finally got it right. I can carve relatively short radius turns, because of the new sidecut. A wide ski with a carving profile Wow. I realy can't expect any better conditions for January. Going to Europe in Feb. That keeps us going. Spending the entire ski season in Park City would realy keep us going.. who knows.

Hi Strolz.....was wondering when you would finally make it to the forum. Don't be a stranger!

Bushwacker

the BHL
01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Ahhh . . . Strolz has spoken. Now I can begin to take this forum seriously. "Spinal Cord" has entered the lexicon along with "Organ Donor." Life (you must agree, Mr. Strolz,) is good.

Tin Woodsman
01-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Finally, it looks like SB was in something aproaching the bullseye. From what I can tell, another 6" overnight, so me likey. Looks like it's still snowing up there.

Please feel free to update us desk jockeying flatlanders with the real poop.

skibum1321
01-26-2006, 07:46 AM
They seem to have under-reported again. Mad River is claiming 6-8", while the Bush says 4".

jwt
01-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Ahhh . . . Strolz has spoken. Now I can begin to take this forum seriously. "Spinal Cord" has entered the lexicon along with "Organ Donor." Life (you must agree, Mr. Strolz,) is good.

Hey! Mr K. Marx! let's start by saying life is good, but there are many who cannot ski, due to lack of government programs for the snow-deprived, anyone south of Mason Dixon line and . . . . . . . . those taxed to the max with all manner of unfair fees and dues! the answer my friend is not redistribution (besides, who can fairly make that decision? you? Me? Bela Pelosi? Dirty Harry Reid?) Let's ski the trees ( snow snakes and all) and get ready for uuuuuuuuTah! discuss our political differences, make a truce (HAHAHAHAHA!) and of course, fufill our duty: "it's the magnitude of the pounditude, baby!"
besides, soon the global warming will melt all but my cold conservative heart! It's good to know the King!

smootharc
01-26-2006, 09:33 AM
....but there are many who cannot ski, due to lack of government programs for the snow-deprived, anyone south of Mason Dixon line and . . . . . . . . those taxed to the max with all manner of unfair fees and dues! the answer my friend is not redistribution...

....all in favor of government intervention in snow and ski related things, raise your hands and say Ayyyyy. Ayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Plowboy
01-26-2006, 10:28 AM
They seem to have under-reported again. Mad River is claiming 6-8", while the Bush says 4".

Looks right to me. Plowed off 4'' in LP village. 3" in town. Only about 1 1/2" East Warren way. Most of the snow was on the west side of Greens, So MR pick up more snow blowing through Ap Gap.

Wind is picking up. Still getting flurries at 10:15 am.

Looks like a good weekend. More snow for mon and tues.

Maybe a web cam on my truck might help you guys. Maybe not though, most of you guys know what the outside of the Hyde Away looks like. :wink:

Plowboy

Tin Woodsman
01-26-2006, 10:44 AM

Looks right to me. Plowed off 4'' in LP village. 3" in town. Only about 1 1/2" East Warren way. Most of the snow was on the west side of Greens, So MR pick up more snow blowing through Ap Gap.

Maybe a web cam on my truck might help you guys. Maybe not though, most of you guys know what the outside of the Hyde Away looks like. :wink:

Plowboy

No. Please rock the webcam. It's pretty hard to tell what's what with the SB website.

BTW, what time did you plow the LP village? Wouldn't be reasonable to assume that the upper mountain (closer to the west siiiiiiide of the Greens) got a bit more. [/wishful thinking]

Tin Woodsman
01-26-2006, 04:34 PM
BTW, Johnny Snowphone was reporting up to a foot on the upper mtn as of the noon update. From what I can see via radar and the MRG cam, it's continued to snow since then. Website is updated in the last hour and claims only another 1" today, so who knows.

What I do know is that Castlerock is opening tomorrow again, so that's a pretty objective indicator that it's time to get after it boys and girls.

djspookman
01-26-2006, 06:19 PM
What I do know is that Castlerock is opening tomorrow again, so that's a pretty objective indicator that it's time to get after it boys and girls.

nice.. i'm going to try and make it up there first thing tomorrow am :) hehe.. sounds like things are shaping up up there!

dave

Lostone
01-26-2006, 10:15 PM
:D

Tin Woodsman
01-26-2006, 10:42 PM
:D

Come on now Mr. Coy, surely you have more beta than that.

the BHL
01-26-2006, 10:50 PM
What I do know is that Castlerock is opening tomorrow again, so that's a pretty objective indicator that it's time to get after it boys and girls.[/quote]

Woah. Ditch the keyboards. Switch off the talk radio, JWT. It's time to rock.

Plowboy
01-27-2006, 12:34 AM

Plowboy

No. Please rock the webcam. It's pretty hard to tell what's what with the SB website.

BTW, what time did you plow the LP village? Wouldn't be reasonable to assume that the upper mountain (closer to the west siiiiiiide of the Greens) got a bit more. [/wishful thinking]

Plowed 6 am.
Yes
Yes and true.

Plowcam is only good till about 1500' , then you have the SB website. LOL!!!

ME was very nice. Lots of smiles.

Plowboy

jwt
01-27-2006, 05:56 AM

Woah. Ditch the keyboards. Switch off the talk radio, JWT. It's time to rock.[/quote]

I'm with you there BHL. One place we can all get along and GET DOWN.

noski
01-27-2006, 08:01 AM
You guys go play, and I will hold the fort. I'll tell 'em you're in a meeting.

weishuhn53
02-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Was anyone out there yesterday/this a.m.? How's it holding up?

TwinTipTele
02-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Was anyone out there yesterday/this a.m.? How's it holding up?

What do you mean, how's it holding up? It's finally snowing.... things are holding up great. Check it out yourself.

-TTT

weishuhn53
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
I said 'how's it holding up' because I was there Sunday am when it was pouring out so I was looking for a little first-hand knowledge.

I'll be up this weekend either way... :D