PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at the webcam-

noski
01-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Check out the Valley webcam www.madrivervalley.com Hopefully when you do it will still be dumping........ white pennies from heaven.

djspookman
01-05-2006, 10:45 AM
nice! thanks for the inspiration!!! I can't wait for the weekend!!

dave

2planker
01-05-2006, 11:52 AM
I usually go the the Mad River site to see what it is doing up higher than in the valley. Sugarbush should have something similar on their web site, they did at South 2 years ago and it was good. It was moved to North and it was okay. The only way to see what is happening at the mountain is to look at Sandy Macey's photos.

How much snow has fallen at the mountain? Sugarbush still shows an inch and Mad River says 2 inches.

KingM
01-05-2006, 12:12 PM
We only had 1/2" or so on the floor when MRG made their 2" posting. Since then we've received 2-3", so I would say about 5" at MRG, if I had to guess.

ski_resort_observer
01-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I usually go the the Mad River site to see what it is doing up higher than in the valley. Sugarbush should have something similar on their web site, they did at South 2 years ago and it was good. It was moved to North and it was okay. The only way to see what is happening at the mountain is to look at Sandy Macey's photos.

How much snow has fallen at the mountain? Sugarbush still shows an inch and Mad River says 2 inches.

Call 1-800-53-SUGAR and they can tell how much they have at the base. You can also ask to be transferred to Guest Services who might have an update from Mountain Dispatch as to current snow totals on the mountain. Or you can wait till Lostone gives us his up to the minute snow report and other useful rumors :D

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Call 1-800-53-SUGAR and they can tell how much they have at the base. You can also ask to be transferred to Guest Services who might have an update from Mountain Dispatch as to current snow totals on the mountain. Or you can wait till Lostone gives us his up to the minute snow report and other useful rumors

Sure would be nice if we could get a mid-day update (with time stamp) when conditions warrant, wouldn't it?

For the record, I just called that number. The person who answered couldn't help me, though she did transfer me to the snow phone. They are reporting a storm total of 4" new (i.e. 3" since this morning) as of 11AM. Radar and the MRG base cam indicate it's continued to dump since then, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are up to 5" total so far. Again, why couldn't this info be pushed out to the website? People shouldn't have to jump through hoops or play connect the dots to get this vital info considering how the Internet is an increasingly important channel for dissemination of information.

01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
[quote]Sure would be nice if we could get a mid-day update (with time stamp) when conditions warrant, wouldn't it?
There is a mod for phpBB where you can accept posts via Email. If a local skier wanted to carry a Web-enabled phone, they could Email conditions right from the lift. I would look into it if there was enough interest...

ski_resort_observer
01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Call 1-800-53-SUGAR and they can tell how much they have at the base. You can also ask to be transferred to Guest Services who might have an update from Mountain Dispatch as to current snow totals on the mountain. Or you can wait till Lostone gives us his up to the minute snow report and other useful rumors

Sure would be nice if we could get a mid-day update (with time stamp) when conditions warrant, wouldn't it?

For the record, I just called that number. The person who answered couldn't help me, though she did transfer me to the snow phone. They are reporting a storm total of 4" new (i.e. 3" since this morning) as of 11AM. Radar and the MRG base cam indicate it's continued to dump since then, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are up to 5" total so far. Again, why couldn't this info be pushed out to the website? People shouldn't have to jump through hoops or play connect the dots to get this vital info considering how the Internet is an increasingly important channel for dissemination of information.

I don't think there is any resort website that updates their snow totals multi times during the day. I am sure there are some exceptions. No disrespect intended but most people, including myself, do not care how much snow has fallen at any particular time during the day. Boy, am I going to regret saying that...lol

I can call the front desk of the Sugarbush Inn(open 24 hrs/day) and get snow totals at their front door and equate it to the mountain.
I know better info than the website is just a phone call away. The snow phone is not a secret number. It is supposed to be updated during the day.

To be honest it would be great if the snow report on the website was updated during the day. I am assuming since their website was built and is maintained by an outside vendor that they would rather spend the money on other things. Now, PLEASE, relax and enjoy the snow. They forcasted about 1 inch today here in Maine and it is puking snow like crazy. 3" so far. Don't worry, be happy! :lol:

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't think there is any resort website that updates their snow totals multi times during the day. I am sure there are some exceptions. No disrespect intended but most people, including myself, do not care how much snow has fallen at any particular time during the day. Boy, am I going to regret saying that...lol

I can call the front desk of the Sugarbush Inn(open 24 hrs/day) and get snow totals at their front door and equate it to the mountain.
I know better info than the website is just a phone call away. The snow phone is not a secret number. It is supposed to be updated during the day.
Jay, Stowe, and MRG all do mid-day updates on their websites when conditions warrant. MRG always does an afternoon update (3 - 5PM) regardless of conditions.

What's so hard about putting a brief word or two up on the site? Forget a committed freak like myself (I'll find a way to get what I'm looking for by hook or by crook) - why should the avg. skier who doesn't obsess as much as I do have to call the Sugarbush Inn or dance through hoops to get this information? No disrespect, but your attitude smacks of the customer service attitudes of certain Soviet era department stores. How about making the information as clear, up to date, and accessible as possible for the maximum amount of people, within the constraints of the time and resources required to do so? It cannot be that hard.

ski_resort_observer
01-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I guess we just have diferent takes on the subject. Dialing the Snow Phone number does not seem to me to be all that dificult.

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I guess we just have diferent takes on the subject. Dialing the Snow Phone number does not seem to me to be all that dificult.

Perfect example of why I keep harping on this issue. The conditions have been marginal the last week or so. I'm on the fence about coming up this weekend b/c I don't want to waste my time skiing hard packed groomers again. As a result, I want as up to date info as I can possibly get to determine whether their will be sufficient new snow to dip my toe into the woods again (was nice as of 12/23). Snow phone hasn't been updated since 11AM. They reported 4" at that time, but radar indicated that it continued to snow pretty hard until 1PM. There's no way to know what has happened in the interim until tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I don't know whether to pack or not this evening. Gonna have to be a game time decision I guess, but that puts a crimp in the style and I'm glad I don't have kids yet that would make that decision more complicated.

TwinTipTele
01-05-2006, 05:40 PM

Jay, Stowe, and MRG all do mid-day updates on their websites when conditions warrant. MRG always does an afternoon update (3 - 5PM) regardless of conditions.

What's so hard about putting a brief word or two up on the site? Forget a committed freak like myself (I'll find a way to get what I'm looking for by hook or by crook) - why should the avg. skier who doesn't obsess as much as I do have to call the Sugarbush Inn or dance through hoops to get this information? No disrespect, but your attitude smacks of the customer service attitudes of certain Soviet era department stores. How about making the information as clear, up to date, and accessible as possible for the maximum amount of people, within the constraints of the time and resources required to do so? It cannot be that hard.

You can add SB to that list - our snow report is updated frequently throughout the day, so if it says 5 inches when you check the site at noon, that means that 5 inches has fallen today. I agree that there is a need for a timestamp, and I'll pass that word on to the right people.

-TTT

skiladi
01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Sugarbush sends me an e-mail each morning w/o going to the site and they send POWDER alerts when appropriate. I don't think a few inches qualifies but I expect conditions to be greatly improved this weekend. I'll be there regardless cause I have woken to nice surprises before. But I have a place there so for me it is just nice to go to my home away from home but I can understand if you have to find accomodations why you would want the scoop in advance. I don't think 5" will guarantee tree skiing but I was in Eden this weekend and it will be doable with that amount. As for anything else, we shall see. ; }

TwinTipTele
01-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Sugarbush sends me an e-mail each morning w/o going to the site and they send POWDER alerts when appropriate. I don't think a few inches qualifies but I expect conditions to be greatly improved this weekend. I'll be there regardless cause I have woken to nice surprises before. But I have a place there so for me it is just nice to go to my home away from home but I can understand if you have to find accomodations why you would want the scoop in advance. I don't think 5" will guarantee tree skiing but I was in Eden this weekend and it will be doable with that amount. As for anything else, we shall see. ; }

Shh!! Don't tell my friends at the Bullwheel.... but the trees were good today! :D

Good is obviously a relative term, but still....

-TTT

skiladi
01-05-2006, 06:04 PM

Shh!! Don't tell my friends at the Bullwheel.... but the trees were good today! :D

Good is obviously a relative term, but still....

-TTT

GRRR! I was gonna be there but Hubby had other ideas! I wish I had left on Wednesday like I planned but to hear him tell it " I wouldn't keep you from a powder day" Oh . well 38 years and counting.......

Lostone
01-05-2006, 07:46 PM
OK... Here's the scoop. It is 19:37 and I have no idea as to how much snow we got. :roll:

Was good, tho. :wink:

If they are saying 3 or 4", I wouldn't argue with that. I do know I was very disappointed when I awoke, this morning. There was only a light coating on Vera, where I was expecting 2-4". But it started snowing like anything.

It was fun, and all the @#$@ ski bums were out to see it.

And the good news is this is a packing snow. It should be around for a while.

The only other rumor I've heard was that the Trumps were supposed to be up this weekend. Seems that there is a deal they want to make about a personal lift? :lol:

ski_resort_observer
01-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Really, the Trumps. Probably staying at that posh resort, you know, the only hotel in the valley with an indoor swimming pool, the Garrison. :wink:

random_ski_guy
01-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Ok then, this is good. Now lets get that $2MM contract over to that hotel pronto so that SB gets the $$ needed to build an on site power generator. Its hard enough to deal with mother nature's fickle weather, we can't be hamstrung by Green Mtn Power's compacity constrainst and extorionist pricing. Where are we? Cuba?

Tin Woodsman
01-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Ok then, this is good. Now lets get that $2MM contract over to that hotel pronto so that SB gets the $$ needed to build an on site power generator. Its hard enough to deal with mother nature's fickle weather, we can't be hamstrung by Green Mtn Power's compacity constrainst and extorionist pricing. Where are we? Cuba?

No - the People's Republic of Vermont.

Aaaaah the joys of monopoly pricing.