PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush and Mad River Glen to Host Ski Mountaineering Race

12-21-2005, 09:33 AM
http://news.alpinezone.com/7007/

smootharc
12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
......though I don't see a category for squishy, middle-aged, semi-crumbling wanna-be's like me.... :lol:

Tin Woodsman
12-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Tha'ts an interesting PR. Any idea where this race will be held? Since it's a combined SB/MRG thing, it sounds like it will start at one and end at the other. And then Egan mentions a pretty well known MRG off-piste area, so I guess we can use our imaginations on that. I wonder if it will start at South, move through Slide Brook and then North, before ending at the base of MRG? That would be one hell of a race.

atkinson
12-21-2005, 10:06 AM
From what I understand, the race starts at MRG, climbs to the summit and traverses the LT to the top of Northridge. Up to the summit, down Lower FIS to the bottom and into Slide Brook. Cross Slide Brook and climb up the road that brings you to the top of the Slide Brook lift line. Then to the top of North Lynx on the traverse. Down to the bottom of LP and then one more climb to the top. Finish at LP base. I believe this is the Pro course. Exact details are not set yet, as far as I know. My Adventure Blazer group is supposed to help set the course and GPS it, though. Pysched!

John

freeheel_skier
12-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Here is a link to the race web page.

http://www.life-link.com/llrally.htm

I think I read somewhere it is either going to start @ ME or Mad River Glenn. Either way they will skin up use the LT/Monroe Skyline and ski down to the finish. But what the heck do I know anyway???? :?

freeheel_skier
12-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I guess atkinson knows what's going on. Like I said what the hell do know? I just deal in rumors and misinformation :P

noski
12-21-2005, 10:37 AM
I guess atkinson knows what's going on. Like I said what the hell do know? I just deal in rumors and misinformation :P
Are you related to Lostone...?

djspookman
12-21-2005, 10:43 AM
This looks like a TON of fun! I may just have to do it too, only thing that would stop me is the I better stop excercising the beerceps though!

Anyone with any inside knowledge know if the avi tranceivers are really required? That would be the only thing that would limit me from doing this race! (or does anyone know where I can rent one for the weekend?)

dave

smootharc
12-21-2005, 10:53 AM
I better stop excercising the beerceps though!

Another AZ/SkiMRV SAT word to add to my vocabulary. Need to think of a new one for my, uh, mini love handles. Micromidgrips, perhaps ? Anyone ?

castlerock
12-21-2005, 10:58 AM
According to the web site, Transcievers are required

freeheel_skier
12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Are you related to Lostone...?

Nope! I knew I saw that misinformation thing somewhere. I also plagiarize.

As for the avi-gear....it is a requirement...this race is part of a larger points series. You may be penalized for not having the required equip.

Strat
12-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Cross Slide Brook and climb up the road that brings you to the top of the Slide Brook lift line.
Where does this road start exactly? There's been many questions about this before on various sugarbush forums...

atkinson
12-22-2005, 09:46 AM
There are several roads through the area. Some are maintained and in use during the winter (be careful of snowmos and cats), some are not. The road that climbs and traverses up to Village Road and also splits to finish at the top of the liftline, starts just before the bridge at the bottom of the official tour glades. When skiing down towards the bridge look right, it's very obvious. This road forms the southern and eastern boundary of the main tour lines, if that helps to get your bearings. The intersections can be confusing, but if you generally climb and try to stay on the shoulder of the basin, you'll get up to the top of the liftline.

I don't like giving directions on websites, because of misintrepretation/ erroneous data issues. My route instructions may not be totally accurate and someone might not read them correctly. Also, the bro's don't take kindly to it and I don't blame them, but it's a packed road and not that fun to ski down. I'm sure it will make a nice speed climb for the racers though. The pros can eat up unbelieveable amounts of vert, like 4500' an hour, so this will be a spot to watch them really crank the pace. I've always liked this climb when I'm not feeling super-energetic, because it stays very mellow basically the whole way, unlike some of the other skin tracks in the Valley.

John

Lostone
12-22-2005, 02:58 PM
freeheel_skier

I knew I saw that misinformation thing somewhere.

Not from me. :mrgreen:

But I do have the local copyright on the rumor thing. :wink:

:mrgreen:

Strat
12-22-2005, 03:48 PM
There are several roads through the area. Some are maintained and in use during the winter (be careful of snowmos and cats), some are not. The road that climbs and traverses up to Village Road and also splits to finish at the top of the liftline, starts just before the bridge at the bottom of the official tour glades. When skiing down towards the bridge look right, it's very obvious. This road forms the southern and eastern boundary of the main tour lines, if that helps to get your bearings. The intersections can be confusing, but if you generally climb and try to stay on the shoulder of the basin, you'll get up to the top of the liftline.

I don't like giving directions on websites, because of misintrepretation/ erroneous data issues. My route instructions may not be totally accurate and someone might not read them correctly. Also, the bro's don't take kindly to it and I don't blame them, but it's a packed road and not that fun to ski down. I'm sure it will make a nice speed climb for the racers though. The pros can eat up unbelieveable amounts of vert, like 4500' an hour, so this will be a spot to watch them really crank the pace. I've always liked this climb when I'm not feeling super-energetic, because it stays very mellow basically the whole way, unlike some of the other skin tracks in the Valley.

John
Don't worry about misinterpretation or anything, I've never actually been down there or into slide brook at all, just interested in where things are, haha... your directions are quite clear though...

ahm
12-28-2005, 11:10 AM
JA: Route sounds interesting. Based on USSMA web site, expert leg should take 2 or so hours. This route should take quite a bit longer. The LT will be relatively slow going, as it is not all that skialbe from MRG to ME. Although the website requires beacons, something tells me this will not be a requirement for this event. There really is no reason for them. That said, if I do not enter the event(and even if I do), I have no problem lending someone a beacon. Won't know until right before the event, we'll just need a place to hook at the end so I can get it back. My take is 30 min to the top of MRG for the fast ones. It would probably go up something basic (ie bunny). then 60 min plus over the LT, a quicky down FIS and and then the skin to the top of the lift is probably another 45 min, then the final ski down.

JA: If the route is not finalized, I might suggest LP base area to summit, over LT to CR. Down liftline, or rumble, over to cut over for Gatehouse, up North Lynx and down into SB and out at the bottom. This route gives numerous vantage points for spectators and doesn't hammer the MRG base area. I realize it is all SB, but an interesting route, with 2500 verts of climbing to start. Another option would be up from LP base to top of North Lynx, down into SB, SB to top of North via LFIS and then rim run, then over LT with a finish at the MRG or 20th hole. AHM

atkinson
12-29-2005, 12:11 PM
The route is pretty much set to start at MRG and the 20th is completely off-limits until the Co-op and/or MRGFoundation buys it from BP.

They say two hours for the experts and despite the challenges of the LT traverse to Northridge, it isn't out of the question. Figure half an hour to the top of MRG and then the numbers start to look right. These guys are flying and usually can transition from ski to skin in about fifteen seconds. I can't even get my pack off in fifteen seconds.

I am chatting with Egan this weekend about the race and will know more soon.

John

TwinTipTele
01-04-2006, 05:33 PM
JA: Route sounds interesting. Based on USSMA web site, expert leg should take 2 or so hours. This route should take quite a bit longer. The LT will be relatively slow going, as it is not all that skialbe from MRG to ME. Although the website requires beacons, something tells me this will not be a requirement for this event. There really is no reason for them. That said, if I do not enter the event(and even if I do), I have no problem lending someone a beacon. Won't know until right before the event, we'll just need a place to hook at the end so I can get it back. My take is 30 min to the top of MRG for the fast ones. It would probably go up something basic (ie bunny). then 60 min plus over the LT, a quicky down FIS and and then the skin to the top of the lift is probably another 45 min, then the final ski down.

JA: If the route is not finalized, I might suggest LP base area to summit, over LT to CR. Down liftline, or rumble, over to cut over for Gatehouse, up North Lynx and down into SB and out at the bottom. This route gives numerous vantage points for spectators and doesn't hammer the MRG base area. I realize it is all SB, but an interesting route, with 2500 verts of climbing to start. Another option would be up from LP base to top of North Lynx, down into SB, SB to top of North via LFIS and then rim run, then over LT with a finish at the MRG or 20th hole. AHM

The route is finalized, just so you all know.

It starts at MRG, climbs Antelope, crosses the LT, descends Rim Run-Lower Rim-Lower F.I.S., ascends Slide Brook through work roads, and then becomes separate courses for the recreational division and race division. From that point the rec racers climb the Village Run to the bottom of North Lynx, while the race division climbs up more roads to the summit of NOrth Lynx and meets up with the rec. div. via Birch Run. Both divisions then travel to a Valley House finish by taking Castlerock Connection-Header-Lower Jester-Coffee Run.

Avalanche equipment is required. This is per Life Link rules and is not questionable. We will cover this at the pre-race meeting on Saturday, February 4th.

The winning time for the race division will be around 2 hours, but some times (recreational division especially) will approach 5 hours.

You can refer to Life Link's website to registerhttp://www.life-link.com/sugarbush_registration.htm and email them or me for more information.

-TTT

Lostone
01-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Great info! :)

djspookman
01-05-2006, 07:52 AM
The route is finalized, just so you all know.

It starts at MRG, climbs Antelope, crosses the LT, descends Rim Run-Lower Rim-Lower F.I.S., ascends Slide Brook through work roads, and then becomes separate courses for the recreational division and race division. From that point the rec racers climb the Village Run to the bottom of North Lynx, while the race division climbs up more roads to the summit of NOrth Lynx and meets up with the rec. div. via Birch Run. Both divisions then travel to a Valley House finish by taking Castlerock Connection-Header-Lower Jester-Coffee Run.

Avalanche equipment is required. This is per Life Link rules and is not questionable. We will cover this at the pre-race meeting on Saturday, February 4th.

The winning time for the race division will be around 2 hours, but some times (recreational division especially) will approach 5 hours.

You can refer to Life Link's website to registerhttp://www.life-link.com/sugarbush_registration.htm and email them or me for more information.

-TTT

TTT-thanks for the info. The course sounds like a lot of fun!!! :)

I'm really bummed about the avi gear requirement though. If I can't borrow the gear from someone, I can't race. Anyone want to lend me their probe and beacon for the race? (I do have a shovel) I was hoping on entering the recreational division, but that threw me off. I don't know of many BC skiiers in VT who own a beacon.............

dave

atkinson
01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the clarification TTT.

Alot of VT bc skiers and riders own beacons, dj. Just because we don't necessarily use them much in-state, doesn't mean they aren't essential tools. Most everybody travels at some point, even if it is just to the Whites or the Daks.

I can rent/ lend two beacons and two probes for folks serious about racing that don't have the gear. I've got two shovels too. You can reach me at jatkinson at catamountrail.org or fluff at madriver.com. Give me a few days to respond. I am crazy busy for the next few weeks.

John

TwinTipTele
01-05-2006, 09:49 AM

Alot of VT bc skiers and riders own beacons, dj. Just because we don't necessarily use them much in-state, doesn't mean they aren't essential tools. Most everybody travels at some point, even if it is just to the Whites or the Daks.

I can rent/ lend two beacons and two probes for folks serious about racing that don't have the gear. I've got two shovels too. You can reach me at jatkinson at catamountrail.org or fluff at madriver.com. Give me a few days to respond. I am crazy busy for the next few weeks.

John

I've got a shovel and may have access to an extra beacon. Let me know if it's needed.

Also, the Bush has a blurb about this event on their website (http://www.sugarbush.com/lifelink.aspx). You can email the dude at Sugarbush (Jim) or Life Link directly using links on that website.

Let's try to get as many locals at this event as possible!

-TTT

djspookman
01-05-2006, 09:50 AM

John

John,

I guess my perspective of bc skiiers is rather limited to myself, friends, and family who have been trekking and skiing in the woods of VT for the past 20 years who have not used any avi gear. I stand corrected! I will note though that an avi beacon was our wedding gift registy at REI.. (but no one bought it!) So, it is on the shopping list, but not in the budget yet.

with that all said... you've got mail!

Thanks!

dave

djspookman
01-05-2006, 10:00 AM
John and TTT,

Thanks for the offers! I have sent John an email about the gear. I will be spreading the word about the race to my friends around the area!

dave

TwinTipTele
01-10-2006, 06:40 PM
UPDATE ON EVENT

Life Link is going to waive the requirement of having a beacon/probe/shovel. Competitors should still wear a helmet (bike helmets are ok). The pre-race meeting is going to be pushed back from Saturday 2/4 to Sunday 2/5 immediately preceeding the race. The race will probably kick off around 10am at the base of MRG.

Now nobody has an excuse - everyone should compete!! :lol:

-TTT

djspookman
01-11-2006, 07:46 AM
NICE ! thanks for the update TTT!! Now if they'd only answer their phones/get back to me to confirm that they got my faxed entry form I sent in last week!:)
I'm psyched! This will kill me but at least it will be fun!

So.. who else is competing??!

Dave

01-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Another article:

http://news.alpinezone.com/7554/

noski
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Another article:

http://news.alpinezone.com/7554/
Couldn't have said it better myself! Oh. Wait.... :shock:

djspookman
01-27-2006, 09:17 AM
So.... anyone besides myself (from here) plan on entering this race? I faxed my entry in 2 weeks ago!! (recreational class of course!)

dave

Abe Froman
01-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Just finished trimming my new skins. I am getting very psyced! Hopefully I will finish in under 12hrs :lol:

freeheel_skier
01-29-2006, 07:30 PM
I will probably skin up and watch it in slidebrook.

djspookman
01-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Just finished trimming my new skins. I am getting very psyced! Hopefully I will finish in under 12hrs :lol:

oh good! sounds like I won't be the only slow one then!! :)

I'm seriously worried about making the time cutoffs (depending on conditions) but at least it will be fun!

dave

noski
01-30-2006, 08:10 AM

oh good! sounds like I won't be the only slow one then!! :)

I'm seriously worried about making the time cutoffs (depending on conditions) but at least it will be fun!

dave
I think you should put an "AZ" somewhere visible with masking tape or something so we all can find you and cheer you on. Ok, maybe not "we all", but someone there will know what it means! Good luck and have fun!

Lostone
01-30-2006, 11:27 AM
I think you should put an "AZ" somewhere visible

:shock:

You must have meant to type "SkiMRV" ??? :roll:

:wink:

djspookman
02-02-2006, 07:53 AM
I think you should put an "AZ" somewhere visible with masking tape or something so we all can find you and cheer you on. Ok, maybe not "we all", but someone there will know what it means! Good luck and have fun!

not a bad idea! we'll see if I follow thru! If not, my helmet (if I wear one) always has my screen name on it in red letters..(since it's a nickname of mine)

dave

noski
02-02-2006, 05:01 PM
http://www.life-link.com/sb_mrg_courseinfo.htm I don't think the course map was posted when the event web links were placed earlier in this thread. If it was, sorry to be redundant.

Treeskier
02-02-2006, 07:07 PM
If you want to help with the race you should contact
-Jim Langley

Having a talk-a-bout and first aid is a plus

djspookman
02-03-2006, 07:50 AM
http://www.life-link.com/sb_mrg_courseinfo.htm I don't think the course map was posted when the event web links were placed earlier in this thread. If it was, sorry to be redundant.

cool.. thanks for posting this! I was wondering when they'd post the course map!! (I've been looking for it all week!)

dave

djspookman
02-06-2006, 11:32 AM
So guys/gals.. who came out to watch or race? What did you think?

I really loved the course, my only (BIG) downfall was not enough training. The climb up Antelope and the short steep climbs in the Slide Brook were my biggest downfalls. Overall though, I really like the course.

Below is a short description of the course:

MRG-Long Trail:
The course started in Callie's Corner at Mad River Glen (the handle tow area) in a Le Mans style start. This meant that we laid out our skiis in the snow at the start line, then went back 100 feet to another start line and had to run to our skis and put them on when the cowbell went off (I thought this was very fitting for Vermont) Once in out skiis, we all skinned up Antelope to where it intersected the Long Trail on top of the mountian. This trail had some fairly steep sections in places that required me to so some switchbacks, but most of the time I was able to skin straight up.

Long Trail to Mt. Ellen:
Once at the top of the trail, the course followed the Long Trail South to the top of the North Ridge chair at Mt. Ellen. It was pretty easy going ski touring in there, but when I went across, it started to rain, then sleet, then back to rain again and actually kept this rain/sleet pattern up the whole way across for me. There were some fun short downhill sections on the traverse across the ridge, and one required downclinb section due to the steepness and narrowness of the trail just above the junction of the spur trail that leads to the Glen Ellen Lodge. After the downclimb, I was able to putter along pretty well and was only hindered in a few places that required some short slimbing over some icy ledges, but luckily they were soft enough to just side step up and over. I popped out into the top of Exterminator into a mini hailstorm. That didn't feel too good on my face, but the wind was welcome to cool me off! I de-skinned and made my way down Rim Run and Lower FIS. Lower FIS was great up top, but then the snow degraded really fast the further down I got.

Lower FIS thru the Slide Brook:
There were mud patches and exposed waterbars on the lower part of Lower FIS, then the course did almost a 180 degree turn and went into the Slide Brook Wilderness. There were a TON of open mud/water/stream/waterbar crossings here that I just decided to ski right thru/over because my skiis were pretty much on their last season anyway so I wasn't too worried about damaging them at all. I skiied down to the lowest section of the course and was surprised to see my wife standing in the rain there with my dog to cheer me on! She was a welcome sight! I stopped for a minute to put my skins on and chat with my wife than started out. My dog had got loose from the leash and was intent on following me thru the rest of the race, but my wife came up and brought her back down with her. The trip thru the Slide Brook area was quite nice actually! I kept puttering along thru the rolling terrain, then rounded a corner and went up up up up.. I wasn't happy with that climb, but I just kept chugging along anyway. It felt like it was the steepest part of the whole course! I eventually made it to the fork where the Race division and Recreational divisions split, and took a left onto the Recreational divisions course and made my way down to Village Run, then up it to the top of the Gatehouse Chair.

Gatehouse Chair to the Finish:
I took my skins off and set off down the Castlerock Connection trail and down to the Castlerock Lift. I made an oops at the lift and went the wrong way here. Thankfully the lift op noticed this and let me know that the course went left at the fork, not right..(oops! I wasn't paying close enough attention here!) So off I went down the Castlerun Runout and then made a sharp right up Header and then skied down Coffee Run to the finish at the Valley House Lodge. I was glad to be done. I went inside, got changed out of my soaked clothing, and got my beer vouchers and went upstairs to relax with my wife. AHHH.. done.

I will be back again next year to do it again for sure, as I had a BLAST!

A BIG thank you to all the volunteers who helped make this race possible!

Dave

noski
02-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Congratulations! How many competitors were there? What did they think as they "decompressed" at the Valley House? I wonder if the series will come back next year. It would be nice to have some anecdotal information from competitors to share with management of MRG/SB and the series promoter.

djspookman
02-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Congratulations! How many competitors were there? What did they think as they "decompressed" at the Valley House? I wonder if the series will come back next year. It would be nice to have some anecdotal information from competitors to share with management of MRG/SB and the series promoter.

Thanks! I had a blast out there! There were 37 total competitors, and I think that 36 finished. Everyone I talked to (only a few!) liked the course! I overheard someone saying this was the longest randonee rally in the series. Apparently the other races are half the length. I think the low number of competitors was a direct result of the weather Sunday though.. which is too bad because it really wasn't that bad!

Treeskier
02-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Congrats to all of the competitors! My friend and I worked Grand Junction.....the last semi flat area where most of the logging trails merge and if you ski out there you congregate at the bridge to then ski to the bus stop. The competitors then put their skins back on and went straight up! Most people had smiles on their faces and looked good. Although it was a bit cold standing around in the rain hail it was fun to watch each racer go through! When asked most of the competitors where from around VT. Hopefully next year there is better conditions.

Abe Froman
02-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Ditto to djspooksman's comment to being in better shape. I didn't realize how out of shape I am! Thanks to all those who made this race happen. It was a blast!

smootharc
02-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Ditto to djspooksman's comment to being in better shape. I didn't realize how out of shape I am! Thanks to all those who made this race happen. It was a blast!

....Mr. Froman, Sausage King of Chicago.....

:lol:

Abe Froman
02-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Yep! That's me!

TwinTipTele
02-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Thanks! I had a blast out there! There were 37 total competitors, and I think that 36 finished. Everyone I talked to (only a few!) liked the course! I overheard someone saying this was the longest randonee rally in the series. Apparently the other races are half the length. I think the low number of competitors was a direct result of the weather Sunday though.. which is too bad because it really wasn't that bad!

Hey DJ -

This was definitely a long race (winning racer being 2hrs20mins) but by no means double other stops on the circuit. We have pretty average vert in our course (~4500) but the distance is much longer - I think perhaps 3 to 5 miles longer than other courses on the circuit. All in all, it's definitely more challenging, but having a longer course with the same vert is better than having a ton more vert than other stops... does that make sense?

Feedback from Andrew McLean, the racers, and the volunteers was all very positive; granted, we didn't get the best weather ever, but the turnout was good and the competitors were extremely enthusiastic. Lost in all of this is the fact that Life Link donated over $10,000 in cash and prizes for the raffle after the race and everyone in attendance (and many not in attendance) won some prizes.

As far as a return to the MRV goes - it's obviously too early to say for sure but I've already planted the seed in the minds of our friends out at Life Link. At this point, all parties involved - the SB events department, Life Link, Andrew Mclean, SB management, MRG folks - are really supportive of this event becoming an annual staple here in the valley.

I can't help but dream as I sit here in my office and think about this race.... Imagine a course that starts at the Valley House, climbs Racer's Edge-Snowball-VH Traverse-Jester to the top of LP, traverses the Long Trail to the summit of Mount Ellen, descends ME via FIS-Lower FIS, and climbs back to the Valley House via Slide Brook-Village Run-Castlerock Connection-Header-Lwr Downspout-Coffee Run.... Same vert, similar distance, but beginning and ending at the same place... logistically much easier to pull off!! Don't get me wrong, I truly hope we can work with MRG on this event again next year, but it's fun to daydream from time to time...

To those of you on this board who volunteered - thanks again!

-TTT

djspookman
02-09-2006, 08:31 AM
This was definitely a long race (winning racer being 2hrs20mins) but by no means double other stops on the circuit. We have pretty average vert in our course (~4500) but the distance is much longer - I think perhaps 3 to 5 miles longer than other courses on the circuit. All in all, it's definitely more challenging, but having a longer course with the same vert is better than having a ton more vert than other stops... does that make sense?

I loved the course man! All I was doing was reporting on my conversations with people. I wouldnt' have wanted the course any other way, it was perfect! Thanks for making Sunday fun!

I can't help but dream as I sit here in my office and think about this race.... Imagine a course that starts at the Valley House, climbs Racer's Edge-Snowball-VH Traverse-Jester to the top of LP, traverses the Long Trail to the summit of Mount Ellen, descends ME via FIS-Lower FIS, and climbs back to the Valley House via Slide Brook-Village Run-Castlerock Connection-Header-Lwr Downspout-Coffee Run.... Same vert, similar distance, but beginning and ending at the same place... logistically much easier to pull off!! Don't get me wrong, I truly hope we can work with MRG on this event again next year, but it's fun to daydream from time to time...

-TTT

I like the sounds of that course too!!... :)

dave