PDA

View Full Version : any glades yet?

Jim
12-20-2005, 01:17 PM
i noticed the glades aren't listed on their trail report, so i was wondering if they are ready or what?

djspookman
12-20-2005, 01:27 PM
not unless they're high up.. not quite enough snow in the lower woods yet!

dave

noski
12-20-2005, 01:29 PM
i noticed the glades aren't listed on their trail report, so i was wondering if they are ready or what?

See this discussed in Interactive Trail Map thread.

daevious
12-20-2005, 04:25 PM
See also the Slidebrook thread.

You won't see the glades on the trail report (even when they are ready), which is the same as last year. They are not opened, closed or swept by ski patrol. You can grab a trail map next time you're at the mountain and read it through.

Right now there are abundant rocks and stumps, unfrozen gullies, and downed trees and branches that are all too close to the surface, even up high. The snow that's already in the woods needs some time to settle, then we need a lot more snow before the woods will be safe (or fun).

smootharc
12-20-2005, 04:31 PM
The snow that's already in the woods needs some time to settle, then we need a lot more snow before the woods will be safe (or fun).

That's what you told me last year, and I waited after that 30" dump, then waited after that 24" dump, then waited after all those 12" and 8" and 6" dumps. And by Spring, you were still telling me to wait. And I was still waiting.

Should I do the same thing this year ? I'll await your word.

:lol:

Strat
12-20-2005, 04:37 PM
I dunno, I had quite a bit of fun in Deeper Sleeper, Eden, and Walt's Woods over this past weekend... only a bit of minor base damage, and that's to be expected in the woods anyway, right?

daevious
12-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Do what you wish. I don't recall advising folks to stay out of the woods as you say, smootharc; I'm sure I told some people that I didn't think the woods were ready early on, but I wasn't saying that after January, for sure.

I won't bring my Blazers in until it's safe in my judgement (which may be more conservative than yours), but we certainly spent a good portion of last season off of the trails.

P.S. I'm not going to declare the woods open on this forum, so don't wait for me.

Tin Woodsman
12-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Pretty much what daevious said. It was thin this weekend on most of the mountain, with lots of exposed everything. It's really only worth it, and even then just in spurts, on well maintained, low-angle shots. They've probably received around 6" since I last went in, so that will help some, but they need a nother solid foot before you can start to feel more comfortable in there.

Lostone
12-20-2005, 08:56 PM
I saw people in the woods the Friday after Thanxgiving. :shock:

Some people will try anything. I look, and wonder, but I know there really isn't that much there, yet.

Hard to look around at all this snow and remember... winter begins tomorrow. It'll come.

Have patience. :wink:

Treeskier
12-20-2005, 10:48 PM
The well maintained MT trails like Eden and Deeper Sleeper are skied in and thin. But since they where well maintained over the summer and most of the stumps mowed to the valley floor they skied pretty good. The rest of the glades have about 16" of thick snow and nothing underneith. As much as I hate rain what would truly set this fine bace up is a small rain storm to settle and compact the snow, then a deep freeze to lock it all in. Give us a foot plus even smooth base to build on top of. Then start to dump on top of that. 2-3 feet on top of what we have now would also work.

Doing my snow dance now!

ski_it
12-21-2005, 12:33 AM
I just couldn't resist the temptation and ventured into Eden on Sunday. I had a blast in there! Amazed to find stashes still hanging around in an area that normally sees very heavy skier traffic. Low angle glades that have been aggressively cleared don't need quite as much snowpack to be skiable. As much fun as it was, I really regreted it when I looked at my skis at the end of the day. Nasty core shot on one. Was it worth a base weld? Probably...
-Jim (no longer lurking)

smootharc
12-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Do what you wish. I don't recall advising folks to stay out of the woods as you say, smootharc; I'm sure I told some people that I didn't think the woods were ready early on, but I wasn't saying that after January, for sure.

I won't bring my Blazers in until it's safe in my judgement (which may be more conservative than yours), but we certainly spent a good portion of last season off of the trails.

P.S. I'm not going to declare the woods open on this forum, so don't wait for me.

....hope you know I was just funnin', D....my post regarding you telling anyone anything was entirely fictitious...and after years of early season tree on ski brutality, I usually wait myself for a bit more loading. Lost my favorite Volkl's during an "I really should wait" run years ago....lesson learned.