PDA

View Full Version : Maple Syrup....

smootharc
12-20-2005, 08:22 AM
There's a guy parked at MRG's entrance who sells maple syrup from his pickup. As a lifelong maple syrup afficionado, and dare I say, yes I dare say, snob, well, I put some tough questions to him about quality and taste. Cheerfully, he whipped out a plastic spoon and poured a thick, cold blast of elixer onto it and shoved it into my mouth before I could ask any more questions. Well.....we drove home with a half gallon of his finest medium amber.

Gosh darned if I don't have my whole extended family squabbling for it now. Just fantastic. Beats the mass produced swill you buy at the big chains....the same way MRV skiing beats....well, I'm not naming any names.

Gonna clean that guy out of his syrup stock next trip up. Use it instead of water in my hydration system. Yuuuummmmmmyyyyy......

noski
12-20-2005, 09:08 AM
There's a guy parked at MRG's entrance who sells maple syrup from his pickup. As a lifelong maple syrup afficionado, and dare I say, yes I dare say, snob, well, I put some tough questions to him about quality and taste. Cheerfully, he whipped out a plastic spoon and poured a thick, cold blast of elixer onto it and shoved it into my mouth before I could ask any more questions. Well.....we drove home with a half gallon of his finest medium amber.

Gosh darned if I don't have my whole extended family squabbling for it now. Just fantastic. Beats the mass produced swill you buy at the big chains....the same way MRV skiing beats....well, I'm not naming any names.

Gonna clean that guy out of his syrup stock next trip up. Use it instead of water in my hydration system. Yuuuummmmmmyyyyy......

:D Maple is a food group- near the top of my pyramid and that of Vermonters and honorary Vermonters. If you have not been to see how it's made from the source, bring this up again in the spring and I will let you know where and when any of you can see the process in action.

smootharc
12-20-2005, 09:55 AM

:D Maple is a food group- near the top of my pyramid and that of Vermonters and honorary Vermonters. If you have not been to see how it's made from the source, bring this up again in the spring and I will let you know where and when any of you can see the process in action.

Duh....I've seen it in action. It's when those tree crews at the road with the big grinder cut branches off, put them in the grinder, and there must be a guy at the other end holding a can for the syrup. Sheesh.....

:lol:

Tin Woodsman
12-20-2005, 10:11 AM

Yeah that guy has the goods for sure. Medium amber - is that like Grade B? I've always been partial to Grade B - I like more body to my syrup.

smootharc
12-20-2005, 10:17 AM

Yeah that guy has the goods for sure. Medium amber - is that like Grade B? I've always been partial to Grade B - I like more body to my syrup.

Well, you touch upon what might be the "Great Maple Syrup Grading and Preference Debate". Some think the "light" grades are best, but I think both Medium and Light have grade A. And our family preferences have always gone toward the Mediums. But now I get in over my head, as I'm more of a consumer than student of the Maple world. Perhaps we have some "more expert, less dilettante" folks out there that could weigh in.

noski
12-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Well, you touch upon what might be the "Great Maple Syrup Grading and Preference Debate". Some think the "light" grades are best, but I think both Medium and Light have grade A. And our family preferences have always gone toward the Mediums. But now I get in over my head, as I'm more of a consumer than student of the Maple world. Perhaps we have some "more expert, less dilettante" folks out there that could weigh in.

Here is a quick overview (http://www.vermontmaple.org/Grades.html). Understand that Vermont grading may or may not be the same as Maine, Quebec, etc.

smootharc
12-20-2005, 12:34 PM

Here is a quick overview (http://www.vermontmaple.org/Grades.html). Understand that Vermont grading may or may not be the same as Maine, Quebec, etc.

Thanks....that is the best and clearest explanation I've seen...and good to know it's all down to personal preference.

ski_resort_observer
12-21-2005, 11:09 AM
As a maple syrup addict I can tell you that ANY Vermont syrup you buy, whether it Shaw's or the guy on the side of the road, it is the real thing.
Vermont produces more maple syrup than any other state. No other state comes close. If it is grade B you got which I would be very surprised you will find it hard to find more. Conversly, since you know this is from last years season so perhaps people are running out of the more popular grade A.

Sounds like you just have to buy some more, very quickly, as your family will probably never forgive you. :lol:

smootharc
12-21-2005, 02:00 PM
As a maple syrup addict I can tell you that ANY Vermont syrup you buy, whether it Shaw's or the guy on the side of the road, it is the real thing.
Vermont produces more maple syrup than any other state. No other state comes close. If it is grade B you got which I would be very surprised you will find it hard to find more. Conversly, since you know this is from last years season so perhaps people are running out of the more popular grade A.

Sounds like you just have to buy some more, very quickly, as your family will probably never forgive you. :lol:

....and, yes, more is needed. I'll be elbowing little old ladies out of the way for the last 1/2 gal next time up to the valley.....