PDA

View Full Version : Any decent bumps yet?

Glenellen
12-18-2005, 07:10 PM
any decent bumps yet? a lot of terrain is open at south, but i noticed paradise isn't open (even after last week's snow), which makes me think things have a ways to go yet.

Lostone
12-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Define "decent"... :? :wink:

There were some big ones on Organgrinder, last week, but they got groomed out the other day. But I thought there were a lot of ugly ones, there.

The ones on Birdland are looking pretty big, while those on Murphy's were more scattered, and thus not as big.

The natural snow trails are sparse between, but there is some great snow up there. Again, tho, not sure if they would be big enough to be "decent".

Define "decent"... :? :wink:

djspookman
12-19-2005, 07:44 AM
there were some decent bumps on cliffs at North all weekend, but there were grass patches between most of them:) FIS had some "decent" ones too, although I couldn't find a good a line down.

dave

2planker
12-19-2005, 09:55 AM
There were some great bumps on Twist, Moonshine, Mall at South. Domino was a little sketchy at the big turn. Steins was good, a little picked over. The snow on Friday was perfect, it was light enough to ski, but just thick enough for a good base. I had friend in the woods and it is a little thin, I think I will wait for another foot.

Tin Woodsman
12-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Fun little powdery bumplets on Twist this weekend, but no zipper lines or anything.

Agree re: the woods. They need another 12-18" of base to really be enjoyable below 3000'. At the vesry least, we need to cover up this thick layer of East Coast sludge that fell on Friday. Great base building snow for sure, but not so much fun to ski in with nothing over it and pure sugar underneath.

2planker
12-19-2005, 10:10 AM
It sounds like Mad River got 4 inches this am. North may have a similar amount. The sugarbush site is showing 1 inch. Roemer is predicting 12-18 inches over the next 10 days with a possible Noreaster before the new year. If this is the case we are ready for some good conditions and a good base is the woods. The skiing was great yesterday. I miss it already and am on this site instead of working.

Tin Woodsman
12-19-2005, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't worry about the disparity in numbers between MRG and SB. It's really a function of SB's report being pretty lousy. We know that the SB report is logged at 6-7AM or thereabouts (though you'd never know b/c they don't have a time stamp on it :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ) whereas the MRG report is as of 9:15. As the MRG report states, radar indicated a pretty heavy band of snow worked its way through in the 7 - 8:30 AM range. Radar out of BTV indicated snowfall rates well in excess of 1"/hr for much of this period. As such, I'd be surprised if SB has anythign less than MRG. Possibly even a little more given how the stronger radar returns lingered a little to the south of MRG for this period.

But again, we wouldn't know b/c SB apparently refuses to update its snow report on anything approaching a timely basis. You'd think they'd be eager to do so with conditions changing so rapidly as they did this morning. Alas, a missed opportunity.

2planker
12-19-2005, 10:31 AM
I agree, the web site needs a recent photo plastered on it or a camera, along with an up to the minute data feed. I always go to the Mad River site in the am to find out what is really going on on the hill.

Glenellen
12-19-2005, 08:22 PM
In an effort to define "decent" with regard to bumps, I guess I would say they'd have to be...uhhh...I don't know???...knee high, tight enough so that you're not skidding too much from turn to turn (I know -- now you're going to ask me to define "too much" right?) and can get some quick edge-to-edge action going... allows you to get a line going ...a few grounded-out troughs are okay (grassy subsurface preferably), some scratch is okay too (I'm pretty easy). How's that? Pretty pathetic definition probably? I got my answer though from all the replies, though (thanks evrybody!). I sounds like it's got a way to go yet before it's worth skipping out of work. I'll wait for the weekends for now.

smootharc
12-20-2005, 08:17 AM
At the vesry least, we need to cover up this thick layer of East Coast sludge that fell on Friday. Great base building snow for sure, but not so much fun to ski in with nothing over it and pure sugar underneath.

Just be thankful the pure sugar isn't maple syrup... :wink:

noski
12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Just be thankful the pure sugar isn't maple syrup... :wink:
Yes, but isn't it supposed to be "sweeter up here"? With syrup we can make maple creemees.... I am still thinking about that trip to East Montpelier for the maple creemee.....