PDA

View Full Version : Groomer Rides?

andyzee
12-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I see that Sugarbush has a new feature 1 hour rides with the groomers for $40! Is that bogus or what? http://www.sugarbush.com/groomerrides.aspx

Lostone
12-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Believe it or not, I've talked to a number of people that have done it.

They thought it was great.

And if you saw their eyes when they were talking about it, you'd have to be interested. 8)

andyzee
12-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Well actually, it does sound interesting. I just thought is was kind of shabby on managements part charging $40 for a ride. Guess I could kind of understand it, have to keep the crowd down. But, they're not going to make any major money on this and I think it might have been more valuable in the form of public relations if perhaps they had some kind of raffle or something and let people on for free.

Lostone
12-16-2005, 10:10 PM
I think they are more limited by space than price. I think they only take 2 at a time. And it isn't a ride around the Gatehouse. They go to the top. The word is going over the top of Organgrinder is a trip! :shock: :wink:

I'll try to remember your suggestion about the raffle, tho. They have all sorts of contests during the holidays. Maybe that would be a good prize.

andyzee
12-16-2005, 10:16 PM
I think they are more limited by space than price. I think they only take 2 at a time. And it isn't a ride around the Gatehouse. They go to the top. The word is going over the top of Organgrinder is a trip! :shock: :wink:

I'll try to remember your suggestion about the raffle, tho. They have all sorts of contests during the holidays. Maybe that would be a good prize.

Like I stated, it does sound very interesting. It's just that I don't see it as a money maker. As a result it might be a good idea for them to come up with a way to give it away. This way people that may not have the opportunity to experience such a thing otherwise may have a chance. To me the perfect example is kids. After paying for lift tickets, hotels, food, etc... parents may find this a bit extravigant and out of reach. But I'm sure it's something that kids would not only enjoy, but find educational as well. At the same time it could be great PR for Sugarbush. Kids taking such a ride would be more likely to remember the mountain and come back in the future.

bvibert
12-18-2005, 01:10 PM
I saw that on their website and thought it looked pretty cool... Until I saw the $40 price tag... Not that I was suprised, just a little dissapointed...

ski_resort_observer
12-18-2005, 02:03 PM
The Bush has been doing it for a couple of seasons. It might not be my cup of tea or yours, some people really enjoy the experience. How could it not be a money maker? The groomer and equipment are out there anyway. :D

Mtnlady
12-20-2005, 09:22 AM
We have never had complaints - until now/here - about the price or availability of the groomer rides. Last season we were able to offer more - but this season, we elected to reduce the groomer fleet by one, so we are proceeding cautiously regarding #seats, and #time slots. The groomers are working as they are giving rides, but they do need to alter their routine in order to accomodate pick-up/drop-off at the base of LP of the riders. If all goes well, we may be able to increase availability as the season progresses.

So, regular schedule is Fri/Sat/Sun, 5PM 2 seats for a one hour ride @ $40/seat. A seat will hold one adult with one small (less that 60#) child, or two slightly older children as seat buddies (share the
seat belt). Rides will be available each day of the holiday period except Chirstmas, and maybe NYEve - stay tuned.

Reservations are highly recommended due to popularity and limited availability. This was never intended to be a huge money maker - but it does need to cover its own expenses. Groomer rides are big PR - have been written up and drawn attention, and demonstrate the adventurous spirit of our resort! We do what we can, and despite comments here, the message seems to be getting through!

Tin Woodsman
12-20-2005, 10:09 AM
First off, welcome to SkiMRV mtnlady!! I've always enjoyed your input at AZ, so I'm sure you'll be an invaluable resource here. Second, I agree with you 100% regarding the groomer rides and pricing. If you think the price is too steep, then DON'T GO! It's one thing to piss and moan about the cost of lift tickets, but at least it's the means by which we get our skiing/boarding fix. The groomer rides are purely frivolous, so I can't imagine why anyone would get bent out of shape by the price. Moreover, given the apparent popularity of the program, it seems that SB may in fact be charging too little!

And finally, uh mtnlady, when are you guys going to get around to blowing snow on Ripcord, Steins, Birch Run, and Sunrise? I would think those are pretty critical components of the holiday season skiing experience, no?

smootharc
12-20-2005, 10:23 AM
....this daddy and his two little guys. Heck, I paid $40 at an amusement park last summer to be reverse bungeed for a couple of "boings". This sounds like one sweet ride ! Does it come with a crumpled, day old 1/2 eaten Big Mac, and a dog named Buck ?

And, yes, welcome mtnlady.

Added: Can you order these three weeks in advance, or just the day of ?

bvibert
12-20-2005, 02:29 PM
I didn't mean to say above that I thought the price was too high, just that its higher than I'd be willing to pay. Thats fine by me, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to pay that much or more...

andyzee
12-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong not complaining, just adding my 2 cents and some ideas. :)

Lostone
12-20-2005, 08:42 PM
Can you order these three weeks in advance, or just the day of ?
As I only deal in rumors, I don't know the answer to that, but the bush web site says to sign up at the Guest Services kiosk, but had the number (802)583-6537...so... :wink:

uh mtnlady, when are you guys going to get around to blowing snow on Ripcord, Steins, Birch Run, and Sunrise?

Sheesh! at least let her get her ski boots off and put her feet up! :roll: :lol:

Welcome mtnlady! It would be good to have some real info to occasionally correct my rumor information. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
12-21-2005, 01:49 AM
A detail of one of my images showing a groomers path on Mt Ellen. What a view from up there or Lincoln Peak.http://img2.postimage.org/152477/groomer.jpg (http://img2.postimage.org/forums/forums_skimrv/152477/groomer.html)

Bush Groomer
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong not complaining, just adding my 2 cents and some ideas. :)

Ideas for what? To cheapen the bush into a Killington?

Why not offer your idea up down there for cheaper groomer rides? It'll go great with their $369 super dooper pass!

Buy a season pass for $369 and get two free groomer rides!!

There you go, a way to cheapen an aready cheaped out resort! In the end, you always get what you pay for...

Bush Groomer
01-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Well actually, it does sound interesting. I just thought is was kind of shabby on managements part charging $40 for a ride. Guess I could kind of understand it, have to keep the crowd down. But, they're not going to make any major money on this and I think it might have been more valuable in the form of public relations if perhaps they had some kind of raffle or something and let people on for free.

stick to you day job, whatever that is...but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume it's not running a ski resort.

Editor's Note: I've removed the last portion of this message as it isn't really constructive for anyone. Suffice it to say, I agree with Bush Groomer's general position, but disagree with the specific message used to get that point across. - Tin

Mtnlady
01-03-2006, 09:24 AM
The Groomer Rides are a treat to offer, especially when I get reports of how much fun both guests and drivers have while grooming. I appreciate the feedback and support of people here. I think if Bush Groomer is truly one, he may have been still recovering from the heroic efforts that crew had to muster to recover from that challenging weather we had late last week.

Great work, guys! And those other wonder-workers, the snow making crew, too. No matter how friendly our
staff is towards visitors, it's the snow surface that counts most. I am applauding...

Strat
01-03-2006, 04:39 PM

stick to you day job, whatever that is...but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume it's not running a ski resort.

Editor's Note: I've removed the last portion of this message as it isn't really constructive for anyone. Suffice it to say, I agree with Bush Groomer's general position, but disagree with the specific message used to get that point across. - Tin

And so the censorship debate rears its ugly head... no, it hasn't yet, but it will.

Tin Woodsman
01-03-2006, 05:54 PM

And so the censorship debate rears its ugly head... no, it hasn't yet, but it will.

It might in the future, but this isn't an example od same. I thought the "cheap bastard" comment was a little more inflammatory than necessary. I'm as big a fan as anyone for a raucous debate, but let's focus on ideas instead of name-calling. That's just a dead end.

andyzee
01-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Damn, so sorry I expressed an idea.

Lostone
01-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't think you should be sorry about it.

I think airing any issue is what we are and should be about. Don't worry that some people might (will) disagree with some of the things you say. It is the nature of a public forum.

I would ask all to argue the issue, not the person.

random_ski_guy
01-04-2006, 12:32 AM
When I first read Bush Groomer's reponse with the inflamatory comment, I was alarmed....but then after some consideration I concluded that it was meant to generate a laugh, not angst. Seriously, thats how I came to read it.

Anyways... I agree we need to focus on the people and not the issues. I mean the issues and not the people. Anyways....

smootharc
01-09-2006, 09:20 AM
....with my boys. Here's the experience.

1) friendly phone contact with Guest Services and a quick call back to answer some questions I had that they had to call to ask the groomer folks. Nice.
2) We show up and the guy at guest services tells me that since my little guy will be on my lap, he'll only charge us for one. $40- in my pocket that, technically should have been in theirs. Nice.
3) Guest services guy comes over and oversees us getting hooked up when the groomers arrive. My one son and me in one shotgun seat, my other son shotgun in groomer #2. The drivers were just great - fun, friendly, really nice seeing how we were coming to their office and sitting in their seat as they worked.
4) So off we went.....the machines are just gnarly and intense....million dollar babies. You kind of think they are going to fly, but they grozzle along at a modest speed. But turning corners, doing 180's in place, and going down some steeps is all fun. The cab is warm....so wear a bathing suit. Bring a water bottle.
5) So we watched corduroy getting made, and the machines work as a team. Folks, I know the snowmaking thread has been back and forth about the area's committment to snow quality, but from the grooming angle they are totally committed. It is amazing how they take icy, skied off trail and make it into sweed cord. We asked 1001 questions, laughed, and had just a great time. My little guy babbled and babbled with delight. We went up Organgrinder. This time of year, the sun is down, so they don't take you to the top of OG for sunsets. Probably in the next month or so.
6) Our driver has seen just about every kind of wildlife except a Yeti. The views to the twinkling lights of the valley were quite magical.
7) An hour later we were down, my boys babbled some more, and off we went after a thanks, and by my choice, a tip for a job well done.

Thanks, Sugarbush.

Lostone
01-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanx for your report.

Wouldn't really apply for the Trip Report section. Maybe in the "What A Trip Report" section? :lol:

Glad you had a great time.

And this is the kind of thing I've heard from others who've tried it... although they did get the sunset at the top of OG, on theirs. 8)

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2006, 09:47 AM
One of the better TRs this site has seen!

noski
01-09-2006, 09:59 AM
....with my boys. Here's the experience....
:D :D Awesome! That was a great story. Congratulations to all who made this happen. It sounds like the 2 bigger boys will never forget it!

freeheel_skier
01-09-2006, 10:27 AM
That is exactly why SB is doing this! Reports like that one are worth a million skier visits. After reading smootharc's report I will definitly have to ride in one and see it in action for myself!

smootharc
01-09-2006, 10:34 AM
That is exactly why SB is doing this! Reports like that one are worth a million skier visits. After reading smootharc's report I will definitly have to ride in one and see it in action for myself!

....about joining the Nearly Mile High Organgrinder (absolutely no pun intended) Groomer Club with your sister Gwynneth, you sickly Tenenbaum you..... :lol:

WWF-VT
03-08-2006, 01:13 PM
I had the pleasure of taking a groomer ride with my seven year old son on Saturday, March 4th and have to agree with other posters that it is a great experience. Called and reserved a spot early Saturday AM knowing that the snow was falling and there would be plenty of snow to groom. We smoothed the "jumps" he had taken earlier in the day on Sleeper and took a winding trip on Castlerock Connection and Troll Road. We asked a LOT of questions and had a great driver who shared with us great knowledge of the mountain and MRV. Thanks!