PDA

View Full Version : Lift Ticket Prices

skibum1321
12-13-2005, 04:10 PM
I was looking on the website today and I noticed that on the lift tix page, they list midseason, holiday, and early/late. This leads me to believe that they are charging the same for a weekend and midweek?!? If so, that seems pretty ridiculous that they want $63 for a midweek ticket.

Can anyone clear this up for me

2planker
12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
I believe that is the case. Stowe started doing this years ago, there was only a difference in early and late season pricing.
My problem is that during the week the North Ridge Chair does not run at north and slide brook chair only runs on holidays and weekends, except for Fridays in peak season.

madskier6
12-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Yes, unfortunately, that is the case. SB started doing that at the beginning of last year. They pointed to Stowe as the example and said something like "the current trend in lift ticket prices is to not differentiate between midweek and weekend prices." :x

I agree with you that I think that practice sucks for all the reasons stated (same terrain and lifts not necessarily open midweek). I guess the only consolation is that you won't have to deal with the crowds midweek (although SB is not really that crowded on weekends anyway except during holiday periods).

SB also points to the reduced price for a Mount Ellen-only daily ticket ($48 or something) and that on Wednesdays during mid-season, a Mount Ellen-only ticket is $25.

I still don't like the practice. :(

freeheel_skier
12-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I agree that this practice sucks! Especially for those who ski mid-week a few times a year. They offer the sugarcard that will allow you reduced mid week rates:

$59 (one-time membership fee) gets you…

SAVINGS- UP TO 25% DISCOUNT ON LIFT TICKETS!
Special Midweek rates for Sugarcard holders only! Ski or Ride the entire mountain for just:
$49 midweek/non-holiday
$55 weekends/holidays
Save up to $14/day! No blackout dates!

I would be pi$$ed if I bought a full price ticket and had to ride the damn shuttle bus over to ME. If they charge full price midweek then run the interconnect!

boze
12-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Get the Sugarcard for 49 midweek / 55 weekend tix - pretty sweet deal & no blackout dates

Got mine free a couple years back (some dopey firends I tiold to do same never did - - doooohhh!)

Now a $59 1-time fee to get card - - still a great deal

summitchallenger
12-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Yep...whatever Stowe is doing, SB does. :roll: It's kinda like the rate increase idea...Stowe makes you think that if they are the most expensive then they MUST be the best.

Lostone
12-13-2005, 07:22 PM
I would be pi$$ed if I bought a full price ticket and had to ride the damn shuttle bus over to ME.

If you want to ski North, buy the Mount Ellen ticket.

It will save you $16.

If you want to ski South, the cost of the Sugarcard will pay back in 7 weekend days, and even quicker if you ski midweek. :wink:

skibum1321
12-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Get the Sugarcard for 49 midweek / 55 weekend tix - pretty sweet deal & no blackout dates

Got mine free a couple years back (some dopey firends I tiold to do same never did - - doooohhh!)

Now a $59 1-time fee to get card - - still a great deal
Well I already have a Smuggs season pass, Mad card and can get free Jay tickets, so I won't be skiing at the Bush too much. The plan is to go on the Fridays when the Point is there and ski for half price - other than that it's out of my price range right now.

Lostone
12-13-2005, 09:25 PM
They're always out there.

Still, can't argue with the Smuggs pass. Did quite a bit of skiing there.

It is a fun place. :)

ski_resort_observer
12-14-2005, 02:03 AM
The Bush has always charged the same for mid week and weekend. When I worked there I mentioned that this was wrong many times. Your always trying to get people to ski during the week. In the late 90's they did have a cheap Wednesday at Mt Ellen only and now you can ski just Mt Ellen for less.

There are many off site ticket locations, they are listed on the website, where you get discounted tickets, usually about 10 bucks off. Last year they were $52 bucks even good for holidays.

skibum1321
12-14-2005, 07:56 AM
I have on main problem with the Mt. Ellen pass. When I ski at North, I like to go into Slidebrook. The problem is that when you come out, the shuttle always takes you to South. There isn't really anywhere to wait for a shuttle to take you back to North. If I took the shuttle back to South and then waited and went back to North again, there goes 45 minutes of my day. If I'm paying for a lift ticket, that's unacceptable.

kcyanks1
12-14-2005, 07:57 AM
The Bush has always charged the same for mid week and weekend. When I worked there I mentioned that this was wrong many times. Your always trying to get people to ski during the week. In the late 90's they did have a cheap Wednesday at Mt Ellen only and now you can ski just Mt Ellen for less.

I think either 2 or 3 years ago, perhaps when the new owners first took over, they charged different prices for midweek and weekend. Perhaps that was after you stopped working there?

kcyanks1
12-14-2005, 08:00 AM
I have on main problem with the Mt. Ellen pass. When I ski at North, I like to go into Slidebrook. The problem is that when you come out, the shuttle always takes you to South. There isn't really anywhere to wait for a shuttle to take you back to North. If I took the shuttle back to South and then waited and went back to North again, there goes 45 minutes of my day. If I'm paying for a lift ticket, that's unacceptable.

Is it too secret to ask where you could enter Slidebrook from North? I've heard it's possible but never done it. Perhaps by the top of Lower FIS? I took the tour (from South at the top of Morningstar) a couple years ago, and then last season went in a couple of times with friends from the same place the tour went. We stuck to the beaten path (some tracks, marked trees), because I didn't want to get stuck at the bottom not being able to cross the river, or come out somewhere away from where the shuttle stops or anything. If you go in at North, is there also a way to get down to ensure you won't get lost?

skibum1321
12-14-2005, 08:24 AM

Is it too secret to ask where you could enter Slidebrook from North? I've heard it's possible but never done it. Perhaps by the top of Lower FIS? I took the tour (from South at the top of Morningstar) a couple years ago, and then last season went in a couple of times with friends from the same place the tour went. We stuck to the beaten path (some tracks, marked trees), because I didn't want to get stuck at the bottom not being able to cross the river, or come out somewhere away from where the shuttle stops or anything. If you go in at North, is there also a way to get down to ensure you won't get lost?
I'd rather not talk about it on the boards for the world to see and the way I go in is usually kind of hard to find. I'll be going to the Bush on a couple of Fridays this year. If you could make it up either of those days I would be more than happy to show you the light.

Strat
12-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Just pointing out there is a handy thing called a private messages on this forum...

Just thought I'd mention that.

kcyanks1
12-14-2005, 09:14 AM

I'd rather not talk about it on the boards for the world to see and the way I go in is usually kind of hard to find. I'll be going to the Bush on a couple of Fridays this year. If you could make it up either of those days I would be more than happy to show you the light.

Thanks, I understand. Not sure yet whether I'll make it up on a Friday this year, but if it seems like I will I'll PM you and see if it's one of the times when you'll be there.

kcyanks1
12-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Just pointing out there is a handy thing called a private messages on this forum...

True, thanks...if skibum1321 is willing to do that, I'll of course apprecaite any input, but I understand that "show but not tell" view.

skibum1321
12-14-2005, 09:53 AM

I would just prefer to show people where stuff is. I realize there are PMs also though.

Tin Woodsman
12-14-2005, 10:39 AM

there are places to go in and make it to the bottom, but it's a lot more difficult to find than at South. I think Powder Mag from earlier this year had a few words to say about it. I'm sure the SB ski patrol is thrilled with the idea of inexperienced folks trying to find the right worm hole based on those few paragraphs. Slide Brook is big and pretty darn steep in its upper reaches. I wouldn't recommend venturing into anything unmarked unless you are with a group of at least three, preferably with one who has experience skiing into it.

freeheel_skier
12-14-2005, 10:45 AM

Wasting 45min while taking shuttles? You could probably walk it in that amount of time or less. That is the price you pay for skiing off-piste. I have never liked the shuttle idea at slidebrook. If Sugarbush wants to charge people for tours and have a private shuttle to take those who paid for the tour that is fine with me. Whatever happened to earning your turns? :P Please don't take this the wrong way....I am not trying to be negative. I have been skiing that area pre-slidebrook express.

And yes is too secret to ask about stashes. :wink: Let someone show you like skibum1321 said. Most people find these spots by exploring themselves or with someone who knows.

castlerock
12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I have on main problem with the Mt. Ellen pass. When I ski at North, I like to go into Slidebrook. The problem is that when you come out, the shuttle always takes you to South. There isn't really anywhere to wait for a shuttle to take you back to North.

There is a northbound shuttle stop across the street and about 200 yards further north on German flats from where you come out from skiing.

skibum1321
12-14-2005, 12:36 PM
I have on main problem with the Mt. Ellen pass. When I ski at North, I like to go into Slidebrook. The problem is that when you come out, the shuttle always takes you to South. There isn't really anywhere to wait for a shuttle to take you back to North.

There is a northbound shuttle stop across the street and about 200 yards further north on German flats from where you come out from skiing.
I had seen people across the street before but it didn't look like much of a bus stop so I figured they were just hoping it'd pick them up.

ski_resort_observer
12-14-2005, 12:40 PM
[quote=skibum1321]I have on main problem with the Mt. Ellen pass. When I ski at North, I like to go into Slidebrook. The problem is that when you come out, the shuttle always takes you to South. There isn't really anywhere to wait for a shuttle to take you back to North. If I took the shuttle back to South and then waited and went back to North again, there goes 45 minutes of my day. If I'm paying for a lift ticket, that's unacceptable.

I worked at the Bush 1997-2001 then again last winter. I could be wrong but I don't remember a diference in an all-mountain day tocket weekend price vs all mountain mid week.

Regarding shuttle and the Slidebrook trailhead, of course, as you implied, there are shuttles heading both directions. When go into Slidebrook, your on your own as far as transportation. The trail head on German Flats Rd(assume that's where your talking about) has the parking on the southbound lane so if you stood on the other side the road the northbound shuttle MIGHT pick you up. It's a dangerous place to stop. Getting you from there back to the lifts is not Sugarbush's responsibility or part of the service for what you are paying for when you buy a lift ticket.

skibum1321
12-15-2005, 11:27 AM

I worked at the Bush 1997-2001 then again last winter. I could be wrong but I don't remember a diference in an all-mountain day tocket weekend price vs all mountain mid week.

Regarding shuttle and the Slidebrook trailhead, of course, as you implied, there are shuttles heading both directions. When go into Slidebrook, your on your own as far as transportation. The trail head on German Flats Rd(assume that's where your talking about) has the parking on the southbound lane so if you stood on the other side the road the northbound shuttle MIGHT pick you up. It's a dangerous place to stop. Getting you from there back to the lifts is not Sugarbush's responsibility or part of the service for what you are paying for when you buy a lift ticket.
I realize that Sugarbush has no responsibility for getting me back to the mountain. I was just stating the reason why I would not want to buy a North only ticket.

kcyanks1
12-15-2005, 11:38 AM

there are places to go in and make it to the bottom, but it's a lot more difficult to find than at South. I think Powder Mag from earlier this year had a few words to say about it. I'm sure the SB ski patrol is thrilled with the idea of inexperienced folks trying to find the right worm hole based on those few paragraphs. Slide Brook is big and pretty darn steep in its upper reaches. I wouldn't recommend venturing into anything unmarked unless you are with a group of at least three, preferably with one who has experience skiing into it.

I heard PowderMag mentioned that going from North is better, which is why I thought that there was a possibility the route was well known enough for message board posting -- e.g., telling someone that you go from the top of Morningstar at South is no news, since the tour does that. I would never go in there without a group of 3, especially not knowing where I'm going, and also would want to be with someone who's done it. I didn't go in to Slidebrook from South until I had taken the tour, and even then when I went back I was not only in a group of 4 or 5, but with another person who had also done the tour.

[Edit: By "Morningstar" I meant North Lynx; I think it might be the second time I confused the lift with the trail under it.]

skibum1321
12-15-2005, 01:19 PM
The way I go in is definitely not a well-known one. However, there may be other routes that are better known.