PDA

View Full Version : Snow Report

Treeskier
12-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Please respond with your own skied snow report. This should become the most used post! Thanks

12-07-2005, 10:56 PM
We've got a whole forum for this:

http://forums.skimrv.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Tin Woodsman
12-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Could this be a venue for brief snippets on what happened weather-wise and how the conditions were? If Lostone or someone wants to tell us briefly that it snowed 4" of super fluff and that they dropped a rope or two on a natural snow trail, that's inportant info that he may not want to take the time to write as part of a formal TR. Just a thought.

Lostone
12-08-2005, 08:44 AM
... in my thread, The mountain is open.

Probably better to put them in a thread that people might look into... (Dull people! :lol: )

As to doing it in the Trip Reports Section, I'm not sure it fits when my trip is going across the hill or maybe the whole 3 miles. Also, my next trip will be the next day. Anyone who made a real trip will get their report buried.

So I might move this into the Trip Reports section, but keep it as a report thread for locals / regulars.

Any thoughts? :?

Lostone
12-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Real nice skiing on top. The top of the ice cube a little better than the last few days... but still sucks.

People said that FIS was skiing pretty well, but I didn't try it.

Elbow closed most of the day, but oepened for lunch, when there was lots of soft sweet powder on the sides, where the racers hadn't gone.

Rim Run in great condition. On either side there were little bits of powder here and there. In the middle, nice snow. Good for many turns or just straight out cruising. I chose the many turns. It was cold. I wanted to build up a little heat. Felt pretty good.

The top of Cruiser was really nice. Underneath was even, while there was soft drift snow on top. Then we got to the place where that drift snow had come from. There were frozen in place ruts from earlier and yesterday, very uneven ground wit death cookies that you sometimes knocked away and sometimes bounced off. Some of it you could set a decent edge in, but some that gave me a warning that too much pressure and my ski would be beneath the surface and I would stop… eventually.

The alley on Mainstreet was poor. some powder on the sides but the center was clear. As it was only a road's width, that let you go really fast thru there.

Tin Woodsman
12-08-2005, 10:59 AM
... in my thread, The mountain is open.

Probably better to put them in a thread that people might look into... (Dull people! :lol: )

As to doing it in the Trip Reports Section, I'm not sure it fits when my trip is going across the hill or maybe the whole 3 miles. Also, my next trip will be the next day. Anyone who made a real trip will get their report buried.

So I might move this into the Trip Reports section, but keep it as a report thread for locals / regulars.

Any thoughts? :?

How about having two sub-forums in the TR forum - one for "Short Shots" and the other for full TRs with pictures etc....

ski_resort_observer
12-08-2005, 02:36 PM
I think a thread for just snow/ski reports would be helpful. If you staying there for a few days puting your report about the days skiing might not be considered a "trip" as Lostone has pointed out numerous times.

12-08-2005, 02:49 PM
I still think it's better to keep them in one forum as separate dated threads versus one big honking thread. We can certainly relax on the trip report "guidelines" if you want to just post quick conditions reports...

ski_resort_observer
12-08-2005, 02:51 PM
[quote="Greg"] big honking thread.

:lol: Not familiar with just how big "big honking" is. Is that a southern New England term? :wink:

12-08-2005, 03:05 PM
big honking thread.

:lol: Not familiar with just how big "big honking" is. Is that a southern New England term? :wink:
Yup - flatlander-speak. Rest assured, "big honking" is.....well, pretty big. Kinda like "Name the ski area" or "The Sugarbush Thread"... ;)

Lostone
12-08-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm kinda betwixt... :?

On one side, it would be good to post in the trip reports room so that people would find conditions in a logical place for them to look. On the other, I'd like to not knock down legitimate trip reports for those that come to the area as guests.

Good to know what they think. :)

How about for the post who... people who get to ski a lot, a thread per month with a relaxed format, and keep the regular format for those who come up for one or a couple times a season?

This would keep the real trip reports from being pushed off the page, yet keep current reports from the ski bums... locals able to be found by those looking in to check on conditions, still avoiding the BHT syndrome. :wink:

Any thoughts?

castlerock
12-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Enough of this drivel........How much snow is there! (noon on Friday)

noski
12-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Enough of this drivel........How much snow is there! (noon on Friday)
About 6" on Valley floor. Webcam on www.madrivervalley.com shows the skies trying to break open with sun. Should be an awesome weekend on the hill with top-to-bottom skiing.