PDA

View Full Version : Terrain Predictions for the Opening Weekend at SB South

random_ski_guy
12-04-2005, 10:30 PM
with a week of steady cold in the forecast, anyone care to estimate what terrain will be open at SB South next saturday?

i don't have a great deal of experience skiing at SB in the early season, so my prediction below isn't worth much. in fact, it really has no basis what so ever, just a guess.

bravo chair
-birdland or murphy's glade
-downspout
-lower jester

heaven's gate chair
-ripcord
-upper jester

kcyanks1
12-04-2005, 10:53 PM
with a week of steady cold in the forecast, anyone care to estimate what terrain will be open at SB South next saturday?

i don't have a great deal of experience skiing at SB in the early season, so my prediction below isn't worth much. in fact, it really has no basis what so ever, just a guess.

bravo chair
-birdland or murphy's glade
-downspout
-lower jester

heaven's gate chair
-ripcord
-upper jester

They are making snow on Downspout, Jester, Lower Jester, and Organgrinder. So I would suspect all of those would be open, and then if they end up getting some snow this week as well as cold, perhaps something on natural snow at the top? Not sure where they would plan to move the snow guns yet. Probably some additional intermediate terrain on the lower half if I had to guess (like you, just guessing).

Strat
12-05-2005, 07:11 AM
The usual one way down to start off is Jester - Allyn's - Downspout/Lower Downspout and the bottom connector piece of Lower Jester from Lower Downspout to Gondolier...

Lostone
12-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Strat wins the pony! :)

Uh.... :oops: It isn't a real pony... It is a virtual pony. :wink:

Those are the usual first trails. Next add Organgrinder then I would guess Murphy's.

How much will actually open? :?

Stay tuned. 8)

Tin Woodsman
12-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Echoing Xscreamus thoughts in another thread, I have to say that SB is not getting good ratings from me in this early season. To have only 5 trails open right now and still be downloading is pretty pathetic. This is especially so when you consider that I took some time to sample the conditions further down the mountain on all natural on Saturday and it was quice skiable. They've had over 72 hours straight of good snowmaking weather plus at least 12" of natural (personal obs from Sunday morning indicated more than that up high), and they are stuck at 5 trails with downloading? A VERY weak effort, I must say.

As for SBS, it looks like Jester/Allyn's/Downspout/Lower Jester along with Upper Organgrinder. That could change depending on how much natural they receive this week. Hiked up to the top og North Lynx yesterday and say a few folks skinning and skiining up there. Very nice conditions in most spots. Another 6-12" and they should be able to open a few natural trails that hold snow well like Spillsville and maybe Domino.

Edit: A re-check of the SB trail report indicates that Cruiser, Mainstream, and Straight Shot are open to the bottom. Kudos, sort of. Also, looks like all of Organgrinder is getting snow blown on it, so you'll essentially have two ways down from the top (Jester and Organgrinder) and three ways down from mid-mountain (Lower Jester>Gondolier, Organgrinder, and Downspout>Gondolier)

Strat
12-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah! A pony!

Wait... what the hell am I going to do with this thing now?

Strap skis on it and send it off in the dummy air contest?

:twisted:

8)

Lostone
12-05-2005, 05:03 PM
They don't call that the big air dummy and pony contest! :evil: for... :oops: obvious reasons. :oops:

:lol:

Strat
12-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Just the thought of a horse on skis makes me laugh...

Well actually I can see a horse on two snowboards too, now THAT woud be interesting...

This might be as close as we can get though...:
http://www.planet-horse.com/skijoering/images/dessin1.gif