PDA

View Full Version : First day blues. 2005

Lostone
11-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Kind of an odd thing for me to do a trip report for the place that is 4 miles away, but it was the first time out, so I'll do a report. I'll do a few others as the season goes on, but mostly they'll just go into my log.

Date(s) Skied: 11-20

Conditions: Mostly manufactured snow, and pretty good. About 3 spots with ground showing thru and a few that were scratchy, but most of the surface was quite good, with loose snow that was easy to be worked up.

I was there early, and, tho there were definately less people than yesterday, there was only one trail and the price was $25, so it did get a little... tight.

Trip Report: Pretty day. Not the bluebird day we get up here, but plenty of blue around. Temps were pretty warm, starting in the high 20s and getting into the high 30s or maybe 40s.

Started out early, as there was one trail open and it was the first weekend for the mountain. I expected it to get crowded and planned on a short day.

First run, I decided to go down Rim Run. My legs refused to accept the idea that I'd done this just a few months ago and that they didn't have to be stiff little matchsticks, but were able to bend a little.

At Northridge top, I decided I would take Elbow. Went over to the right side of the trail and found that the guns on Rim Run were blowing a slight covering of soft snow onto that part of the trail. I actually made a turn.

The rest of the run was fairly good, for someone with absolutely no flexibility. There might have been a few times when my skis started moving in a forward direction. but mostly it was sliding sideways. Why do I do this, anyway? :roll:

Second run there was actually a little bit of skiing, and each beyond that, just a little more. By about the fourth run, I stopped and lookedd back at where I had been and there was actually a sort of arc in the snow that lead right up to my ski. :shock: :lol:

Also, by that time, the snow was starting to warm up a little. Unfortunately, the people were starting to show up, too. Instructors and ski patrol were doing training in little gaggles and there were gaggles of people going down the hill. Lines were starting to form at the Summit lift.

I wanted to keep skiing, but I had told myself that the goal was to get some runs in, and head out as everyone else started heading in. And that is what I did. Closed it out with 7 runs and a little more than 7000' of vertical.

First day is done. First day's "I can't possibly ski" theory is done, I'm still alive and relatively unscarred and I consider it a good day. :)

11-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the report, Lostone!

bvibert
11-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Sounds like a good first day to me! Thanks for the TR. :D

Strat
11-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Was there 11:30 to 1:15... definitely better conditions than I expected, 5 runs... legs were also a little stubborn but I got some turns in... of course it's different on a snowboard, but still a bit sore anyway...

Lostone
11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
We must have traded places. :lol:

I must have been pulling out just as you were getting there.

Were you sitting down on the access road, waiting until I passed so that you knew it was safe for you? :?

:lol:

Strat
11-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Oh of course... except I wasn't driving, because I don't have my license yet...

7 months... :D