PDA

View Full Version : Favorite and Least Favorite Trail

KingM
11-19-2005, 08:25 PM
It's hard to pick my favorite trail at SB, because there are so many that I love, and it all depends on the conditions. Here are some candidates, though. I like Castlerock, although sometimes it challenges my abilities depending on the conditions. I love coming around Rim Run because of that absolutely fabulous view, especially on a blue-sky day. I've always liked Sleeper because it is so variable and there are about twenty ways down the hill. There are sometimes they should close the Sleeper Roads, though, because they can be almost bare rock and mud and they'll still be open.

I like Jester because it's such a long, long ride to the bottom. You aren't going particularly fast, but with the Super-G like switchbacks it feels like you're going faster than you are, which gives you your money's worth out of the ride to the top.

As for least favorite, on a windy day they should just rename Downspout Wind Tunnel. I don't know what it is that sends the wind howling through there. If it's windy, I'll always take Domino to get over to the Heaven's Gate.

My least favorite though is the Header/Castlerock Runout combination. I occasionally get lured into thinking it will be a relaxing little trail through the woods after the long trip down from Heaven's Gate, but it flattens out and I find myself slogging along to get to the end. Whenever I'm on Lower Jester -> Gondolier and I see someone hesitating at the turnout to Header, I want to warn them that they'll end up with a goodly cross-country trek at the end. I don't care much for Northway on Mt. Ellen for the same reason.

As for general areas, I like coming down Springfling or Snowball when I want to go fast, but I usually only go up North Lynx about once a day. I don't know why, but I don't find it as fun as some other areas.

11-19-2005, 09:36 PM
I've only skied a total of 3 days at SB so I'm a total newb, but my favorite so far is easily Middle Earth. I rarely find trails that I truly dislike but I guess the run under Gatehouse could be considered pretty lame (Hotshot, I think). Straight shot - no character. I was also pretty frightened by an attempt to ski F.I.S. from the skier's right entrance. Glare ice which resulted in a fall and slide across the width of the run. Climbed out and decided to save it for another day...

vtskibum
11-19-2005, 10:05 PM
is still Doc Dempsey's but ummmm we weren't talkin about Smuggs were we? My fav trail at the bush has to be the woods run. Can you guess which one(s)? lol

Strat
11-19-2005, 10:14 PM
It's funny, I disagree with both of you on your dislikes (except for FIS, never even tried that)... I dig the Header-Castlerock Runout connection, cruising over the bridges and whatnot, and the challenge of making it all the way through with speed... it can certainly be done, especially with a good waxing 8) ... Well, actually I agree on Downspout too, but I really like Northway... again, the challenge of holding speed, and I just love that little hollow back there, especially the turn right before you hit Walt's where the riverbed is, just really nice... I like Hot Shot too, kind of the trail I grew up on... love getting up all the speed to fly over the flat at the bottom, and challenging my riding partners to see who can get highest on the big wall on the right... used to be really big on sleeper but I feel I've kinda outgrown it and all the little kids who flock there... one of my favorites now is Moonshine, especially on a day with freshies, just love the semi-woods feel and the ups and downs, very new-englandy, very fun...

Lostone
11-19-2005, 11:08 PM
I was also pretty frightened by an attempt to ski F.I.S. from the skier's right entrance.
Tough way in! :shock:

Try it from skiers' left and it is a whole different trail. Still not a green dot, but much better than the right side, especially when it is iced up... which is almost all the time. :roll: :wink:

Doc Dempsey's
I can't think of that trail without thinking of the question, "Isn't that a stupid question?" :lol:

For the rest, Sleeper gets more traffic than it can handle, and Downspout... definately in the running for the worst one, to me.

Best? Depends on conditions. See how reports go in the Trip Reports section. I'm planning on doing a Trail Of The Day award.

Tin Woodsman
11-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Favorites:

1) Semi-tough - Back and forth; steep then eases off; ego bumps; perfect width, what more can you ask for?

2) Moonshine - Lots of character and lightly gladed. Needs good snow to really work.

3) Liftline (after a dump only) - Big air, wild ride, soft landings, good times

Least Favorites:

1) Downspout - Deathspout. Too crowded. Man made crap snow. All character was blasted out of it 20 years ago. Alas, topography doesn't give SB many options. Downspout is my avenue of last resort to get from Allyn's Lodge to HG or CR. Many other appealing choices.

2) Ripcord - Wide, bland, windy, icy, killing trees at a record pace on skiers' left. McSki run of the worst order.

3) Reverse Traverse - Scraping the bottom of the barrell here, but it is a little annoying with the uphill section.

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2005, 12:04 PM
When the snow is good I like Paradise. It's funny but when I was a youngun I liked trails under the lifts now I stay as far away from the lifts as possible. I also like Cliff though it is too short and, don't laugh, on a not busy day I like Sleeper cause it's easy and quiet. I also like Birch Run in the morning. I also like Castlerock Run if the snow is good.

I used to like Organgrider until one day was going too fast along the side, caught an edge and went flying into the trees. Doug Lewis's wife was there to help me out and said my head just missed a big snowmaking pipe. Haven't gone down since.

Dang...to be honest I like most of the trails at the Bush.

skibum1321
11-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Favorites (in no particular order):
(1) The Mall - Probably my favorite bump run of all time.
(2) Castlerock area - All great trails, but I'm especially fond of Rumble and Liftline.
(3) Paradise - It usually seems to have pretty good snow and has some good bump lines.
(4) Morningstar - Another that falls into the category of great bump run. Manageable size bumps with good lines that gets wicked soft on a nice spring day

Least Favorite:

Steins - This thing is a freakin death trap. It's always wicked icy (I'm not talking about hardpack - you can see your reflection off of it) with ugly bumps.

kcyanks1
11-30-2005, 03:30 PM
I have many favorites, but I'd say Paradise wins because of the variety - natural bumps if you stay on the main trail, and all of the glades off to the skier's left. I love everything off of Castlerock, and also like Mall and Spillsville (though Spillsville is short).

My least favorite might be Downspout or the other trail that goes from the top of the Super Bravo to Heaven's Gate (I'm blanking out!). They get overly icy and crowded. I'm also not a fan of Stein's or Ripcord. The man made snow and grooming seem to mess things up. I love the natural snow trails at SB.

freeheel_skier
11-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Favorite Trail.....Bravo all bumped up

Least Favorite if I had to pick one.....I guess the run out on Lower Exterminator.

mikec13
11-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Favorites
Eden
Morning Star to Deeper Sleeper
Tumbler and Tumpler Woods
Semi tough and semi tough woods
Middle Earth

Too difficult to pick one...much depends on the conditions etc!

andyzee
12-09-2005, 06:55 AM
Took some thinking to come up with a list. There are too many good runs.

Cruiser - Jester to Valley House Travers to Snowball to Spring Fling
View - Rim Run
Variety and Isolation - Lower FIS, hate that last uphill part though!
Challenge - Stein's Run(When snow is good) and FIS
Straight line down the mountain - Organgrinder

2planker
12-09-2005, 10:20 AM
My favorites are domino woods and morningstar with good bumps. An old favorite before GMVS ruined it was Brambles. Most hated trail is downspout to HG lift. See you on the hill tomorrow

smootharc
12-10-2005, 06:51 AM
[quote]I was also pretty frightened by an attempt to ski F.I.S. from the skier's right entrance.
Tough way in! :shock:

Try it from skiers' left and it is a whole different trail. Still not a green dot, but much better than the right side, especially when it is iced up... which is almost all the time. :roll: :wink: [quote]

...as I've had good luck sneaking in left or right of the patroll shack, and finding good wind blown/skier pushed snow at the edge of the trail proper or nipping in and out of the stumpy trees....

FIS kind of gets a rep for man made snow/bumpy/icy conditions, but I've found, picking and choosing, some great rivulets of powder all over that trail...as the hordes pass on by....

Hard to not feel Paradise on a powder day isn't my favorite at South....but too tough to pick one fav trail....

random_ski_guy
12-11-2005, 03:06 PM
i haven't been fortunate to be at SB when everything is open. based on my limited experiences Middle Earth, Castlerock and Hammerhead are great trails.

Least favorite is certainly Deathspout, skis like any "classic" run at Killington. There is simply too much lift capacity feeding into this one run (like everything on skye peak at k-ton).

boze
12-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Assuming decent snow cover (freshies ideal of course)

Top favs:
Paradise & its woods esp well left as go down hill
Semi Tough Woods
Middle Earth
Lower FIS (love - hate relationship due to run out at the end)
Eden though not as 'remote' feeling as you get in Paradise or FIS woods
Jester including its unmarked woods
Brambles b4 ski school essentially took it over / ruined it

Least
Ripcord which typically an ice-fest

kcyanks1
12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Assuming decent snow cover (freshies ideal of course)
Lower FIS (love - hate relationship due to run out at the end)

Lots of people seem to be mentioning Lower FIS (whether here or on some other threads I've read). What's it like before the runout? I've avoided it because I figured it wouldn't be worth it because of the flat part. Is it a narrow, windy trail? Does it have any real pitch at the beginning to make it worthy of the diamond rating?

Lostone
12-13-2005, 09:29 PM
I would call it a low diamond.

We're not talking about difficult here.

We're talking about fun! :D

It is steep, then runs. then steep... rinse, lather, repeat. :D

Not that everyone complained about the runout, but it wins as one of the tops, while their complaining. :wink:

kcyanks1
12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
I would call it a low diamond.

We're not talking about difficult here.

We're talking about fun! :D

It is steep, then runs. then steep... rinse, lather, repeat. :D

Not that everyone complained about the runout, but it wins as one of the tops, while their complaining. :wink:

Would it be fun like MRG's Antelope (perhaps the Upper Part which is easier)?

Tin Woodsman
12-13-2005, 09:42 PM
It's fun on a powder day b/c it's usually deserted. That said, it's about as steep as Cliffs/Hammerhead/Tumbler. Nothing really crazy at all. It's quite wide though, so it can easily get scoured by the wind. Has a few twists and turns, but with that width, does it really matter? Overall, not one of my favorites, but pretty good in the right conditions.

Treeskier
12-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Favorite: Trees especially Slidebrook
2nd: Rumble
3rd: Egans
4th: Black Dimond
Runners up: Tumbler

Least Fav.
1st: a Closed Trail
2nd: Zip...too short
3nd: Death Spout
4th: Organginder (stiches a while back)

Doing my snow dance....looks like a good storm this Friday.

kcyanks1
12-14-2005, 07:44 AM
It's fun on a powder day b/c it's usually deserted. That said, it's about as steep as Cliffs/Hammerhead/Tumbler. Nothing really crazy at all. It's quite wide though, so it can easily get scoured by the wind. Has a few twists and turns, but with that width, does it really matter? Overall, not one of my favorites, but pretty good in the right conditions.

Thanks..I guess I have to give it a shot before coming to any conclusions, but doesn't sound at this point to be worth the hike out, unless maybe it has still has fresh snow when everything else has been skied off.