PDA

View Full Version : The Single

11-19-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm really glad I got the chance to ride the original single chair last season as I think it's unlikely I'll get up there this year. I applaud MRG for planning to replace the lift with another single chair. Do you feel this was the best decision?

KingM
11-19-2005, 08:04 PM
To be honest, no. I appreciate the old-time feel of MRG and I can understand why they wanted to replace it with another single, and I'm in agreement with those reasons.

However, there is so much terrain up there and the wait just to get on the single is so tedious, that I would have liked to have seen them put in a double. When I go with a friend, even if there is no line, I find I don't go down the single as much just because half the fun is chatting on the way up. I'm usually spending time with guys I only see once or twice a year.

Once again, I can understand why they are replacing the single.

Actually, the only (minor) issue I have with MRG revolves around this. Since I always go midweek it seems that a good chunk of the time I have my choice of the Single or the Sunnyside Double. There's a good variety of choices up top, but it feels like my runs end the same way again and again as I'm funneled to the bottom of the mountain.

Not that it will ever happen, but I sometimes think it would be cool to have a mid-mountain lift running up to that middle stretch over by Paradise.

bvibert
11-20-2005, 10:02 AM
I think its a good thing. It helps keep the unique feeling of the place. I'm sure alot would argue that the limited uphill capacity is a good thing, especially on powder days.

Tin Woodsman
11-21-2005, 11:36 AM
The Single can be a pain in the butt on busy weekends (when I mostly am able to get up there) but I think the benefits of preserving snow quality more than outweigh the costs of longer lift lines. Stark Mtn tends to kick your rear end pretty well, so I don't mind the wait at the bottom as it gives my legs time to recharge a little. There's also a special comeraderie in the Single line that I don't think I've seen anywhere else, perhaps the Castlerock double. I think this was the right decision, though they could have accomplished the same goal for less money by installing a new double with the chair spaced far enough apart (ala C-Rock) such that the same lift capacity was achieved. At the end of the day, o you have to admit that much of the MRG image is tied to the Single. It is an icon and represents what makes MRG so special to many of its devotees. It was the right decision for the mountain and for the skiers, IMHO.

BTW, the only lift I wish they'd add is a poma coming out of the 19th/20th hole areas back to Antelope. The Co-op doesn't own this land, but Betsy Pratt still doesn AFAIK (or at least the "Mad River Coporation"). It would increase skiable terrain by 50% but they probably wouldn't sell many more tickets - lift capacity and parking spaces limit that.

djspookman
11-22-2005, 12:58 PM
BTW, the only lift I wish they'd add is a poma coming out of the 19th/20th hole areas back to Antelope. The Co-op doesn't own this land, but Betsy Pratt still doesn AFAIK (or at least the "Mad River Coporation"). It would increase skiable terrain by 50% but they probably wouldn't sell many more tickets - lift capacity and parking spaces limit that.

hmm.. I could go for that! That would be pretty nice especially on those crowded weekend days, and would be less visually intrusive than a chairlift in that area, plus keep the "old time" feel to MRG.

dave

Tin Woodsman
11-22-2005, 03:24 PM

hmm.. I could go for that! That would be pretty nice especially on those crowded weekend days, and would be less visually intrusive than a chairlift in that area, plus keep the "old time" feel to MRG.

dave

Glad you've found you're way in here Dave. Didn't think it would take long.

Now that I've re-read my comment above, I should clarify. The poma I speak of would drag you out of the 20th to the bottom of Antelope, from where you would then ski back to the Single. You'd still have issues with lift capacity, but it would spread people out even more by drawing more skiers into Big Basin. FWIW, that entire face of Big Basin all the way down to the Barn is probably the best undeveloped (i.e. no lifts) skiing parcel in New England in terms consistency of vertical, terrain, snow, etc... Probably better than the terrain too its North (MRG proper) and South (SBN) IMHO.

djspookman
11-22-2005, 03:59 PM
FWIW, that entire face of Big Basin all the way down to the Barn is probably the best undeveloped (i.e. no lifts) skiing parcel in New England in terms consistency of vertical, terrain, snow, etc... Probably better than the terrain too its North (MRG proper) and South (SBN) IMHO.

yeah, I know.. I've been dreaming up some plans for a lift or two in there for a little while now:)

dave

skibum1321
11-30-2005, 08:04 AM

dave

Glad you've found you're way in here Dave. Didn't think it would take long.

Now that I've re-read my comment above, I should clarify. The poma I speak of would drag you out of the 20th to the bottom of Antelope, from where you would then ski back to the Single. You'd still have issues with lift capacity, but it would spread people out even more by drawing more skiers into Big Basin. FWIW, that entire face of Big Basin all the way down to the Barn is probably the best undeveloped (i.e. no lifts) skiing parcel in New England in terms consistency of vertical, terrain, snow, etc... Probably better than the terrain too its North (MRG proper) and South (SBN) IMHO.
I would never want to see that for a couple of reasons. The 20th hole has enough skiers as is. By putting a lift there it would draw even more attention and thus more skiers. One of the other major issues that would stop that from happening is Betsy. She doesn't even want people on her land in the first place. It is too much of a liability if someone gets hurt.

skibum1321
11-30-2005, 08:07 AM
On the topic of the Single. I love it for a few reasons:
(1) reduces uphill capacity and keeps ppl off the slopes
(2) I find it fun to yell back and forth with your friends in front of you and behind you on the lift and it gives you some time to just sit back and take in the surroundings.
(3) It is MRG. When you think MRG you think of the single chair. It attributes to MRG's hardcore image.

vtskibum
11-30-2005, 04:37 PM
How could they sell and promote "single chair ale" if the single chair were gone?????

bvibert
11-30-2005, 04:51 PM
How could they sell and promote "single chair ale" if the single chair were gone?????

Very good point! :)

Dr. NO
11-30-2005, 06:49 PM
I thought they just replaced the drive/brake mechanism so far. Plans I saw were to refurbish the chairs, replace the cable, repair or replace towers and guide wheels and replace the original drive mechanism. Asthetically it should still remain the single chair of bygone days.

How else will they change it?

djspookman
12-01-2005, 07:48 AM
I thought they just replaced the drive/brake mechanism so far. Plans I saw were to refurbish the chairs, replace the cable, repair or replace towers and guide wheels and replace the original drive mechanism. Asthetically it should still remain the single chair of bygone days.

Last I heard, everything was going to be replaced. The lift will look the same, but it will all be brand new. Most of the tower footings are crumbling miserably, so even those have to go.

dave

12-01-2005, 09:15 AM

Last I heard, everything was going to be replaced. The lift will look the same, but it will all be brand new. Most of the tower footings are crumbling miserably, so even those have to go.

dave
Really? The original plan was to reuse the line and lattice towers.

bvibert
12-01-2005, 12:37 PM

dave
Really? The original plan was to reuse the line and lattice towers.
I heard the same thing, that the towers were the only thing that was going to stay...

Falk
12-02-2005, 12:39 PM
i wouldnt say the footing were crumbling miserably at all I think the worry is that during the process of testing them they wil end up weakened.

I for one think there is a bit much of a fetish about the single Isnt it all about how much fun it is getting down the mt not on how one gets up it?

I would love to see the coop buy that land from betsy and have a surface lift in the area

eatskisleep
12-08-2005, 06:06 PM
How about this... A HSDS :o

Or in other words a High Speed Detacable Single

Keep the uphill capacity the same by having the chairs spread further apart :!:

But then it would be like a reward to get in more runs for the people that are there when there are no crowds. 8)

Only wishful thinking... :D

smootharc
12-10-2005, 06:59 AM
How about this... A HSDS :o

Or in other words a High Speed Detacable Single

And, personally, on uncrowded MRG days when I have unfettered access to the slopes, I usually can get in 25-30 non-stop laps on that girly-man 2k vertical. I've broken the mountain's spirit on many occassions doing just that....

Hey, there's no "Dunce" emoticons available on this forum....please feel free to insert one here. I'll be off in the corner facing the wall..... :lol: