PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite restaurant

ALLSKIING
11-19-2005, 08:41 AM
John Egans big world is a nice place..Good food!

Lostone
11-19-2005, 09:06 AM
This is a great thread as People will be asking me, on the mountain and I don't eat out very much, anymore. I loved The Common Man, but that was a while ago, and they've changed ownership.

This is not saying they aren't still wonderful, just that I haven't heard any first hand reports.

So... Let's have the first hand reports! :D

KingM
11-19-2005, 07:48 PM
My favorite was Rosita's, but it shut down, as did the Mad Mexican, which I didn't like quite as much but was less expensive.

There are some good restaurants in the valley, but I'm really a fan of ethnic food and wish we had a good Indian or Thai place. Heck, I'd settle for a cheap taco shop at the moment. There's the Chinese place, but I've eaten there about fifty times already.

madskier6
11-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I ate at the Common Man with my wife this past summer. We really liked it but it was our first time so I don't have anything to compare it to. I had the venison chops. Very tasty :D

Rosita's was also my favorite. I was so disappointed when I heard it was closing. Steve (the owner) is a great guy although I don't pretend to know him that well. Apparently he moved Rosita's to Burlington. When I'm there, I'll have to stop in.

Does anyone know why Rosita's closed? The place was always crowded during ski season (at least on weekends). Must not have been enough volume during the offseason and during the week.

KingM
11-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know why Rosita's closed? The place was always crowded during ski season (at least on weekends). Must not have been enough volume during the offseason and during the week.

I think that was probably it, although I noticed that it suspiciously closed soon after we went with some friends whose kids were totally out of control. Maybe that was the final straw. :wink:

ski_resort_observer
11-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I liked the old Big World better than the new. The last time I was there the service was terrible. I like the Hyde Away. I know Chez Henri, the Pitcher Inn and the Common Man are very good but with 3 kids they are alittle out of my price range. I have also had good meals at the Den.

When the wife and I go out to eat we go to Montpelier, the Mist Grill(our fav) in Waterbury or Burlington.

noski
11-22-2005, 08:11 AM
When the wife and I go out to eat we go to Montpelier, the Mist Grill(our fav) in Waterbury or Burlington.
I have good news and bad news. Mist Grill is gone. BUT, the new tenant is Hen in the Woods. I have heard from local restauteurs who ate there that it was very good.

We have a couple new restaurants coming on line this season- SweetWood at the Powderhound. I have looked at their menu and it should be very nice. Chef/owners is well knownSpace is completely remodeled. The second is the former Bass location. Family dining, family prices. They are doing Breakfast and Dinner. Their menu is good, solid fare. Something for everyone.

KingM
11-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Have you tried the Local Folk Smokehouse? I thought it was pretty tasty BBQ and reasonably priced, as well.

smootharc
11-22-2005, 08:40 AM
My favorite was Rosita's, but it shut down, as did the Mad Mexican, which I didn't like quite as much but was less expensive.

There are some good restaurants in the valley, but I'm really a fan of ethnic food and wish we had a good Indian or Thai place. Heck, I'd settle for a cheap taco shop at the moment. There's the Chinese place, but I've eaten there about fifty times already.

Bummer !

ski_resort_observer
11-22-2005, 10:27 AM
I have good news and bad news. Mist Grill is gone. BUT, the new tenant is Hen in the Woods. I have heard from local restauteurs who ate there that it was very good.

We have a couple new restaurants coming on line this season- SweetWood at the Powderhound. I have looked at their menu and it should be very nice. Chef/owners is well knownSpace is completely remodeled. The second is the former Bass location. Family dining, family prices. They are doing Breakfast and Dinner. Their menu is good, solid fare. Something for everyone.

Bummer about the Mist Grill. Is the new place at Powderhound going to be run by Michael? When he had his place there it was really good and his food is still good from his place by Mehuron's.

KIng - glad to hear a good review about the Local Smokehouse as I have heard both good and bad about it. I am a BBQ fanatic.

noski
11-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Bummer about the Mist Grill. Is the new place at Powderhound going to be run by Michael? When he had his place there it was really good and his food is still good from his place by Mehuron's.

No, the Powderhound (Condos & Restaurant) were sold this month to Jeff & Tracy Lynn. He was with Common Man (If I remember correctly) in prior years.

djspookman
11-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Hyde Away and Local Folk.

Both great eateries, cheap, and good friendly service!! You'll bump into all sorts of people at both!

dave

ALLSKIING
11-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I liked the old Big World better than the new.

I would agree with this. Although I still like it.

skibum1321
12-02-2005, 09:11 AM
American Flatbread is always good.

ALLSKIING
12-02-2005, 09:32 AM
That place is so busy I can never get in..

skibum1321
12-02-2005, 03:41 PM
That place is so busy I can never get in..
Yeah, and surprisingly the one in Burlington is usually pretty empty. I've never had to wait there.

mikec13
12-06-2005, 11:32 AM
I like Flatbread, the Den and the place next to the Purple Moon ???

Someone told me the Spotted Cow was good. Does anyone have any personal experience?

gotamagal
12-10-2005, 04:42 PM
If you're looking for fancy but not outrageous (as compared to the Pitcher Inn) I would have to rave about the 1824 House. They do a prix-fixe there that is totally reasonable and the food is outstanding! Otherwise it's the Den or Egan's for me. Rosita's moved to Burlington and is doing a pretty good business up there. Weird that the Miguel's sign is back up at the Rosita's location...I think it's just there to fill the signpost?

Strat
12-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Weird that the Miguel's sign is back up at the Rosita's location...I think it's just there to fill the signpost?
Noticed that as well... definitely odd.

So who knows when "The Falls" in the old Egan's place is opening? The coming soon sign has been up for well over a year...

noski
12-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Weird that the Miguel's sign is back up at the Rosita's location...I think it's just there to fill the signpost?
Noticed that as well... definitely odd.

So who knows when "The Falls" in the old Egan's place is opening? The coming soon sign has been up for well over a year...
huh. I will look into the Miguel's question. As to The Falls, I spoke about that in AZ recently- someone bought the place at tax sale this summer. Former owner has 1 year to redeem before new owner can touch it. So I would guess a year out at best.

ski_resort_observer
12-11-2005, 10:37 AM
If your looking for intimate dining several inns/b&b's have restaurants open to the public. The guys that own the 1824 House fought a 2 year battle with the town selectman to be able to have their restaurant open to the public. They won out and I hear the food is wonderful. The Millbrook Inn on the road to MRG has a longstanding rep for it's fine food.

kcyanks1
12-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I like Flatbread, the Den and the place next to the Purple Moon ???

Place next to Purple Moon is Easy Street Cafe, or something like that. I was there last night and enjoyed it a lot. I was at Egan's the night before. I'd say Easy Street was better, but I was happy with both. Haven't had much experience with other restaurants in the area. In the past I had done more day trips from vacationing in upstate NY, whereas this time I went up to Sugarbush for the weekend.

smootharc
12-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion how best to "do" American Flatbread....

When to show up, etc. I understand it's a zoo and wondered if there was a savvy way to hit the place....

Thanks.

madskier6
12-12-2005, 09:59 AM
The best way IMHO is to go there at 4:30 and put your name on the list for a table. They will not do that over the phone. You have to show up in person to do it. You can then come back when you want to eat (more or less) and you've got a spot in line secured.

I was there on Sat. 12/3 and we put our name in at 4:30 (right after the ski day was over). They had the first seating at 5:25. That was a little too early for us so we showed up around 6:30 or so and only had to wait 10-15 minutes to get our table. When you show up to put your name in, tell them approx. what time you would like to be seated and they'll factor that in when putting you on the list and assigning tables.

It's not an exact science but it's a lot better than showing up when you want to eat and hoping there will be a table available without too much wait. Of course, if you want to eat early (between 5:30 and 6:00) you ask for a table during the first seating and you'll be in good shape.

ski_resort_observer
12-12-2005, 10:13 AM
American Flatbread pizzas are also available in the grocery stores. They are flash frozen so they are much better than your typical frozen pizza. I like putting on a bunch of my own toppings. Not as good as fresh out of the oven but still pretty good, I have better things to do than stand in line for 2 hours.

smootharc
12-13-2005, 08:24 AM
...thanks for both bits of Beta....

bullwheel12
12-13-2005, 12:45 PM
I'd have to say that Egan's has the best specials and atmosphere for the price range (entree specials~ $16-19) Service at the bar is great too! THe local folk just isn't what it was back in the day, but the bbq is pretty good. After a long day on the slopes, rolling into the Hyde is never a let down...good people, good app.s. Oh, and the Easy Street Cafe has great food but its pricey, small.

ski_resort_observer
12-13-2005, 02:46 PM
THe local folk just isn't what it was back in the day, but the bbq is pretty good. ]

I don't think Local Folk BBQ is even a year old. I haven't tried it cause I have heard mostly bad reviews about it. I guesss I should try it for myself.

kcyanks1
12-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I'd have to say that Egan's has the best specials and atmosphere for the price range (entree specials~ $16-19) Service at the bar is great too! THe local folk just isn't what it was back in the day, but the bbq is pretty good. After a long day on the slopes, rolling into the Hyde is never a let down...good people, good app.s. Oh, and the Easy Street Cafe has great food but its pricey, small.

I was at Egan's and Easy Street this week, and I thought the price ranges were similar.

noski
12-13-2005, 04:20 PM
huh. I will look into the Miguel's question. As to The Falls, I spoke about that in AZ recently- someone bought the place at tax sale this summer. Former owner has 1 year to redeem before new owner can touch it. So I would guess a year out at best.
It seems Rosita's may have built their sign right over the Miguel's sign. When they "cleaned house", they took down the Rosita's sign, leaving the original Miguel's. I am suggesting to Stowe Away they might want to come and take it down...

noski
01-05-2006, 01:26 PM
SRO- your buddy Jim is opening the Village Creemee (creemee topic has it's own thread) Fridays and Saturdays from 3:30pm-7pm with full grill menu and limited ice cream options beginning this weekend. The valley's own fast food/take out- other than the chinese place across the parking lot!

ski_resort_observer
01-05-2006, 06:56 PM
SRO- your buddy Jim is opening the Village Creemee (creemee topic has it's own thread) Fridays and Saturdays from 3:30pm-7pm with full grill menu and limited ice cream options beginning this weekend. The valley's own fast food/take out- other than the chinese place across the parking lot!

Yea, Jim is definately a go getter and knows the food business. I bet he does better than Brad did with his chinese take out place(Taipan) across the parking lot. :lol:

smootharc
01-06-2006, 09:23 AM
.....I'm under my covers depressed until someone opens up a good mexican place....

:lol:

Treehugger
01-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Local guy chiming in. Didn't know this site existed til yesterday. High-end favorites are Warren House and Common Man - new owners at Common man doing a great Job. More affordable, Localfolk Smokehouse is my choice - great BBQ, tex-mex, burgers. The owner ditched the chef /kitchen manager this summer, and took it over himself. Food's been worlds better ever since. Cheap kid's meals too. Food to go - Paradise Deli is great. Sit down breakfast, not many choices. Haven't tried new place - Country Flair, but Easy Street is solid, if a little pricey.

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Treehugger -

Welcome! Now spread the word.

Paradise Deli makes a mean bacon/egg/cheese and I love that they'll throw on peppers and onions for me. Fills a body good.

smootharc
01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Paradise Deli makes a mean bacon/egg/cheese and I love that they'll throw on peppers and onions for me. Fills a body good.

Yeah....sounds great....but what about the "methane emmission" problems that develop later that morning, when you're on the quad with three "spa ladies" from New Jersey ???

Tin Woodsman
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah....sounds great....but what about the "methane emmission" problems that develop later that morning, when you're on the quad with three "spa ladies" from New Jersey ???

They'll just have to grin and bear it I suppose, and definitely hope we're on Super Bravo or Gate House rather than the Rock.

smootharc
01-09-2006, 05:08 PM
...slightly off topic, but what about Mac's ? Will they reopen ?

There is a Mac's down 100 about 20 miles (in Rochester ?? - I forget) that we drive by that has the same logotype. Same owners ? Anyone know ?

noski
01-09-2006, 05:57 PM
...slightly off topic, but what about Mac's ? Will they reopen ?

There is a Mac's down 100 about 20 miles (in Rochester ?? - I forget) that we drive by that has the same logotype. Same owners ? Anyone know ? Not till late spring at earliest. Longer I am betting....Mac's is owned by a Vermont corporation out of Rutland and has 4-5 stores I think.

smootharc
01-10-2006, 12:42 PM
....I grabbed a few American Flatbread frozen pies from Paradise Deli and served them up to my little guys at the condo....to which my 7 year old, with due seriousness, commented....

"Dad....this is the best pizza I've ever tasted. It's delicious". A frozen pie ! Nothing like being 7.

And, I'll say, it was pretty darn tasty.

skiladi
02-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Local guy chiming in. Didn't know this site existed til yesterday. High-end favorites are Warren House and Common Man - new owners at Common man doing a great Job. More affordable, Localfolk Smokehouse is my choice - great BBQ, tex-mex, burgers. The owner ditched the chef /kitchen manager this summer, and took it over himself. Food's been worlds better ever since. Cheap kid's meals too. Food to go - Paradise Deli is great. Sit down breakfast, not many choices. Haven't tried new place - Country Flair, but Easy Street is solid, if a little pricey.

I had a great breakfast at Country Flair but when I went there for dinner I ordered the Seafood casserole ( basically a chowder with pastry on top). Tasted fine but I found about two pieces of seafood in it and it wasn't cheap! :shock:

WWF-VT
02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Spotted Cow is very nice for a high end dining - you have to try the Bermuda Fish chowder

Rustyfan
02-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Funny, didn't see this place mentioned. Nice decor, good food, good wine list, not crazy expensive, and (unlike Common Man) you can get in and out in under 2 hrs. if you'd like.

l21logan99
02-28-2006, 09:33 PM
EASY STREET CAFE

Logan Cooke
MRVTV

HowieT2
03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Michael's Good to Go. Something a little different and seriously good.

Plowboy
03-01-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Michael's Good to Go. Something a little different and seriously good.

Had lunch there the other day, killer shrimp taco!!! Try it, it is "seriously good".

ltng92
03-14-2006, 09:24 PM
What is my favorite restaurant?

John Egan's BIG WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

Strat
03-15-2006, 07:11 AM

Yay...

I've probably washed your dishes.

Fourwide
03-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I've always liked it, but I've been a bit disappointed on my two visits this season. The menu, to my mind, just isn't as balanced as it once was (the more eclectic dishes that once rounded out the menu now seem to dominate), and the wine list needs some serious upgrading. It was once our "go to" spot, but no longer. Also, what's with that little back room alcove? Not a great spot.

smootharc
03-22-2006, 05:11 PM

....very, very good to me the last two times in. Hadn't been there since it was in the old place. All good. The Spicy Chicken Spicy Peanut Noodle entre was just superb.

Does JE himself ever make appearances ? I'd like him to autograph my kid's foreheads.... :lol:

noski
03-24-2006, 07:55 AM

Had lunch there the other day, killer shrimp taco!!! Try it, it is "seriously good".
True! I had their Burrito Deluxe (pulled pork, black beans, guacamole, smoked chile sour cream, Cheddar cheese, lettuce, wheat tortilla.....only $5....) It was so good I went back the next day to thank them.

madskier6
03-24-2006, 07:59 AM
This may sound stupid but . . . when is Michael's open? I've been dying to try that place and it seems like every time I go there, it's closed either that day or during the hours I'm there. I should probably just place a take-out order some night but I'd like to try it for lunch sometime.

noski
03-24-2006, 08:09 AM
This may sound stupid but . . . when is Michael's open? I've been dying to try that place and it seems like every time I go there, it's closed either that day or during the hours I'm there. I should probably just place a take-out order some night but I'd like to try it for lunch sometime.
I better warn you that they will be closed from April 9 thru June 9. Otherwise it's Lunch Tues-Fri 11:30 to 2pm and Dinner Thursday -Saturday 5-8pm.

Strat
03-24-2006, 07:59 PM

....very, very good to me the last two times in. Hadn't been there since it was in the old place. All good. The Spicy Chicken Spicy Peanut Noodle entre was just superb.

Does JE himself ever make appearances ? I'd like him to autograph my kid's foreheads.... :lol:

I concur about the Spicy Chicken Spicy Noodles...

I've probably washed your dishes too, haha...

I've never seen John Egan actually there, but I only work one night a week, so...