PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Sugarbush Message Board!

11-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the Sugarbush Forums, the (un)Official Message Board for Sugarbush Resort, Mad River Glen, and the Mad River Valley! Please introduce yourselves.

bvibert
11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Cool! This should work out nicely! :D

madskier6
11-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Hey, this forum is great. I'm glad you guys set this one up!

I'm Jeff and have been posting on AZ for a short while. AZ is also a great site.

I'm 42 years old, married with 4 children. I have a condo off the Sugarbush Access Road so love everything about the MRV. I live outside Springfield, Mass so the Valley is a 3-hour drive for me (200 miles). I'm relatively new to the Valley since we bought our condo in March 2004. Last season was our first full season skiing in the Valley.

We have season passes at the Bush and Mad Cards at MRG. Since my children are mostly 12 and under, they have free season passes to MRG (what a deal!). I started them all out on skis but one of my sons is now a snowboarder. When we ski at MRG, we rent skis for him and he knocks the rust off of his skiing skills. My youngest son (7 yrs) is making rumblings about wanting to board but at least for this year he will once again be skiing. I prefer them all to ski but my view is that I would rather not be a stickler for that since it's better to just get everyone out on the snow doing something together. I have friends who prohibit their children from boarding. I don't agree with that philosophy although I do prefer skiing.

I'm getting pumped for another great season of skiing at SB and MRG. While I ski a lot with my family and really enjoy it, I also love to ski tough terrain with fellow hardcores, especially on outrageous powder days or in snow storms. I would love to ski with any of you guys this season in such a setting. We'll have to try to schedule some trips this year through this forum (and AZ). I currently have a boys only weekend planned for Feb 10-12 with my friends from home staying in my condo. If anyone else is around that weekend, we should hook-up for some turns.

Enough rambling about me. Tell us about yourselves! Cheers!

11-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Welcome Jeff. Nice intro.

Well, I'm Greg, Founder of this site and AlpineZone.com (http://www.alpinezone.com/images/header/logo_blue.png) (among others). The Sugarbush Thread (http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4644) on AZ became very popular after RSN shut their forums down for much of last season. Based on the popularity of that thread as well as sites like KillingtonZone, I felt there was a definite need of a forum for MRV fans. So, within 24 hours of the idea popping into my head, I set this up! Enjoy.

Lostone
11-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Hey Jeff!

Welcome to the forum!

We're just setting things up so don't mind if we ask you to help move the couch around or paint the walls a little. (Sorry, no spray painting allowed. Rollers only. :P )

As you can tell by the names, we're mostly Alpine Zone people too.

As for me, My name is Jim. Some say that I'm retired, but at 55 I'm really too young to be retired. I refer to it as having quit my working life. At the same time, I quit my life in Mass and moved into what was my second home. I now live in one of the condos at South.

I have spent the summer hiking and biking, taking a lot of pictures. I sell PC screensavers and do a little light computer geek stuff. other than that... oh yeah... skiing! :D

I'm going to be a fixture around here as I was, mostly in the Sugarbush Thread at the Zone and before that, at the RSN Sugarbush forum.

So welcome all! Look around and if you see something that we don't have... ( If we don't have it... how did you see it? :? :P ) Oh... I mean if you think of something we need or could be better with... sing out! :)

If you think of a thread we should have, start it! :)

vtskibum
11-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Appreciate the efforts to create a SBush/MRG/MRV discussion board. I migrated from RSN to AZ to here (of course with some stops along the way) but always going by vtskibum. Look forward to the board.

bvibert
11-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm Brian, I came here from AZ too. I've only skied Sugarbush (North) once and MRG twice. My wife and I loved it so much in the valley that we hope to make many more trips up there! I'm sure this site will grow into a good resource for planning trips.

andyzee
11-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Andyzee here, from Killingtonzone/Alpinezone/killingtonaccess. I used to ski Sugarbush quite a bit until ASC came out with the all for one pass. As a result I'll be in Killington most of the time, but I still try to make it to Sugarbush at least a couple of times a year. Think this is a great idea, wish you the best of luck.

spanky
11-22-2005, 01:58 PM
spanky here. I mostly hang out at killingtonzone.com and tetongravity.com. Greg, good idea on setting up the Sugarbush forum.

skibum1321
11-29-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm Keith - also from AZ. I skied the Bush alot during my Sophomore and Junior years of college (2 and 3 years ago respectively). I had a season pass and really fell in love with the mountain. Unfortunately now that I'm in the real world I can't afford the $1000 pass at this point in my life. I will be skiing MRG 4-5 times this year, as I have a Mad Pass and a lift ticket voucher from doing one of the work days (which I highly recommend - http://www.treeskier.org). My main skiing this winter will be Smuggs where I have my season pass and Jay where my friend can get me free tickets and free is good.

Lostone
11-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Free is good.

That is how much I'm paying for my pass this year. :)

If you have 24 days to spare, they'll trade you for a pass.

I'm working as an ambassador, this season. Generally greeting people and being helpful. I can afford the pass. It is in my budget, but I'm trying this, this year. So far, so good...

But welcome to the forums. Hope to see you out there. :)

mikec13
11-30-2005, 09:38 AM
My name is Mike, I live in Providence, and I have been coming up to the Valley for the past three years. We own a condo on the access road and I can't wait to come up on the weekends. I was at the Community Weekend presentation this year and Win Major said something that really struck home for me. He said, "that when he would come over the Gap after working in New York for the week his blood pressure dropped by 50 points". I could not agree any more! One of my goals this year is to discover some of the lesser known stashes. I especially would like to try out Slide Brook. Hopefully if I earn my stripes someone will clue me in on some of the better spots!

I am more of a "lurker" than I am a "poster" but I really enjoy these forums. Thanks for the new site!

Be Well!

skibum1321
11-30-2005, 11:58 AM
There was a forum a while back for the Valley but it never really seemed to take off. There was never much activity. Anyone remember the name of it?

11-30-2005, 12:14 PM
There was a forum a while back for the Valley but it never really seemed to take off. There was never much activity. Anyone remember the name of it?
The domain was something like voignet.net or something, right?

Lostone
11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but at that time, there was the RSN forum.

Now that that forum is stuck on June 20, we'll probably get more traffic, here. :wink:

The question will be more of how many lurkers vs how many posters. :roll: :wink:

Tin Woodsman
11-30-2005, 03:15 PM

Now that that forum is stuck on June 20, we'll probably get more traffic, here. :wink:

The question will be more of how many lurkers vs how many posters. :roll: :wink:

Rest assured that if Ghstrider ever so much as sniffs this forum, I will use my Mod powers liberally. :twisted: :twisted:

noski
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

Rest assured that if Ghstrider ever so much as sniffs this forum, I will use my Mod powers liberally. :twisted: :twisted:

GR, a.k.a. "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" :twisted:

Edit: (I forgot the part that I was supposed to "introduce" myself): I am noski, and I don't ski, or board, but I am a friend of winter recreation. I am a good resource person and am here to validate or invalidate Lostone's rumors, among other things.... :wink: I have lived in the valley over 20 years and would not choose to live anywhere else.

kcyanks1
11-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the Sugarbush Forums, the (un)Official Message Board for Sugarbush Resort, Mad River Glen, and the Mad River Valley! Please introduce yourselves.

Thanks, Greg! Great idea .. The Sugarbush thread at AlpineZone was fun, but much easier to spread out into separate topics. I'm Kenny. I'm 24. MRG and SB are my favorite ski areas, though I can't say I'm a regular at either. Hopefully I'll be able to change that :-). I started posting fairly recently at AlpineZone under the same handle (kcyanks1), though I had been lurking at the site for a couple years before I finally caved in and registered. Looking forward to talking with all of you!

Tin Woodsman
11-30-2005, 03:55 PM

GR, a.k.a. "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" :twisted:

Yes, we shall just call him Voldemort from now on.

Lostone
11-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Rest assured that if Ghstrider ever so much as sniffs this forum, I will use my Mod powers liberally.

I would rather we welcome any who want to participate in a friendly manner. (I was going to add intelligent, until I realized that I would have banned myself. :roll: :wink: )

Thread drift is a normal factor in conversations. Repeated thread hijackings aren't polite and should not be tolerated any more than it would be if you were in a conversation and someone else always came around, butted into running conversations and changed the subject. More so if it is just harrassment.

There has been very little of this at the Alpine Zone, and I would expect there to be very little of that here. :mrgreen:

That said, speaking of topic drift, it is great to see so many new people here. I hope you alll find interesting subjects here, and I hope that if you don't you come up with some that are interesting to you. With the thread, as I hope with the forum, "if you build it..." :wink:

Tin Woodsman
11-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I would rather we welcome any who want to participate in a friendly manner. (I was going to add intelligent, until I realized that I would have banned myself. :roll: :wink: )

I agree on general principles. That said, I think it's clear that certain individuals can't help themselves in trolling or materially subtracting from the discourse (i.e. Whiteface roolz u dummies!! heheheheh). Everyone should get a shot, but past evidence indicates that the trigger will be pulled sooner rather than later when it comes to a select few. That ATskier/swiftskier guy comes to mind as well.

Dr. NO
11-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks for putting things together. Love to see what the MRV people are up to and how the mountains are doing. Looking for a great season and hopefully a few days at MRG.

Dr. NO from K-ton and K-Zone. Been here before and hope to see some old names show up.

tyrolean_skier
11-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone, I am Tyrolean_skier. I ski mostly at Killington since I have a bond pass there but occasionally I do ski Sugarbush and would love to finally get to Mad River Glen this winter. I'll pop in here once in a while.

2planker
12-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi, I am from the AZ and also the old rsn forums, I was an observer and not a poster. I have been skiing at Sugarbush for 8 years. My wife and I and 3 kids love the valley and the skiing. Thanks to Greg for setting this up.

Schusseur
12-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Hello all. I go by the name Schusseur. I'm 40+, a lifelong skier and made my first trip to the bush in 1968. I too get that drop in blood pressure while approaching the valley, although it usually happens once the traffic is cleared in southern Conn. Winter weekends are almost without exception in the valley. Exceptions being the occasional trip to another Vermont hill to ski with friends, or, If I'm really lucky, I'm hitting up Alta and Snowbird. Have a condo at LP, and make full use of it. Really love the whole mountain and enjoy it all. One thing seriously missing from my ski experience are the woods. This is a whole new thing and I really want to make the leap this season. Looking forward to keeping up on this new site, but will probably do more reading than posting. Cheers.

saabski
12-06-2005, 03:04 PM
glad to see this board. Former RSN poster; AZ poster (more lurker) ..... I get too sidetracked on AZ to go there very often!

I am the proud owner of the smallest condo in VT (off German Flats Rd); passholder at N only this year after many years of "Gold" pass, decided with the construction project at South that THIS is the year to ski some alternate spots (Stowe, Jay etc) as well as Mt Ellen.
Thanksgiving weekend was pretty nice; Sounds like I did not miss much last weekend ----- (brag coming!!!!) I was at Beaver Creek instead for Thu, Fri, Sat! Loads of snow, great skiing and World Cup racing in which the US Men kicked some very serious BUTT! for good stories and results, see www.Skiracing.com

In the meantime; snow is good! The 4 inches we got here this AM ( Southern MA) is wasted here!

ski_resort_observer
12-27-2005, 02:47 PM
glad to see this board. Former RSN poster; AZ poster (more lurker) ..... I get too sidetracked on AZ to go there very often!

I am the proud owner of the smallest condo in VT (off German Flats Rd); passholder at N only this year after many years of "Gold" pass, decided with the construction project at South that THIS is the year to ski some alternate spots (Stowe, Jay etc) as well as Mt Ellen.
Thanksgiving weekend was pretty nice; Sounds like I did not miss much last weekend ----- (brag coming!!!!) I was at Beaver Creek instead for Thu, Fri, Sat! Loads of snow, great skiing and World Cup racing in which the US Men kicked some very serious BUTT! for good stories and results, see www.Skiracing.com

In the meantime; snow is good! The 4 inches we got here this AM ( Southern MA) is wasted here!

Welcome saabski! Are you a proud owner of a Peak unit? If not then I am pretty sure I own the smallest condo(not a Peak unit) in Vt. :wink:

TwinTipTele
01-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Alright, since I've already posted a few long winded replies, I'll introduce myself...

I met Lostone on the lift on 12/22 (the day Castlerock opened for the season... man was it deep). As I told him, I work up here at the resort - specifically in a certain administrative department. My presence is in no way an official Sugarbush presence, although I can probably answer any official questions you guys/gals may have more officially than anyone else. When I get ticked off and fly off the handle on someone, please forget about what I just said regarding being an employee of the resort.

My background is in recreation management and events planning. Specifically, I've run a mountain biking school for kids in Montana for the past 3 summers, while also coordinating the events and trail crew for a ski resort (www.big-mountain.com). During the winters I've worked for that same resort, running ski races, doing marketing work, and coordinating on-mountain events.

I grew up in New England and have skied at the Bush since 99. I live in Waitsfield and stare out my (landlord's) window at Mad River every morning. I've skied 100+ days every season since 98/99, and have skied during every month of the calendar year 2005. I can say confidently that Sugarbush has as much to offer a skier as any resort in the Rocky Mountains. We have true big-mountain skiing (you might have to work for it) in an East Coast setting and that is truly unique. It's exciting to be back on the East Coast.

Think snow!

-TTT

Strat
01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Alright, since I've already posted a few long winded replies, I'll introduce myself...

I met Lostone on the lift on 12/22 (the day Castlerock opened for the season... man was it deep). As I told him, I work up here at the resort - specifically in a certain administrative department. My presence is in no way an official Sugarbush presence, although I can probably answer any official questions you guys/gals may have more officially than anyone else. When I get ticked off and fly off the handle on someone, please forget about what I just said regarding being an employee of the resort.

My background is in recreation management and events planning. Specifically, I've run a mountain biking school for kids in Montana for the past 3 summers, while also coordinating the events and trail crew for a ski resort (www.big-mountain.com). During the winters I've worked for that same resort, running ski races, doing marketing work, and coordinating on-mountain events.

I grew up in New England and have skied at the Bush since 99. I live in Waitsfield and stare out my (landlord's) window at Mad River every morning. I've skied 100+ days every season since 98/99, and have skied during every month of the calendar year 2005. I can say confidently that Sugarbush has as much to offer a skier as any resort in the Rocky Mountains. We have true big-mountain skiing (you might have to work for it) in an East Coast setting and that is truly unique. It's exciting to be back on the East Coast.

Think snow!

-TTT
So you work at the resort, but you don't work at the resort? Sounds kinda confusing...

Twin-tip teles sound dangerous! 8)

ski_resort_observer
01-04-2006, 06:34 PM

Think snow!

-TTT

Welcome TTT! I am a former employee(1997-2001) who returned to the Bush after many years in Wyoming. I also worked last winter at the Bush. I first skied the Bush in 1970 as a crazed Vermont college student.

Glad to have another current employee aboard. :)

01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
I met Lostone on the lift on 12/22
Nice job on the recruitment, Lostone! 8)

Lostone
01-04-2006, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't believe anything from anyone who was on Castlerock on its opening day.

Obviously just a ski bum! :roll:

:lol:

Welcome to the forum! :wink:

Strat
01-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't believe anything from anyone who was on Castlerock on its opening day.

Obviously just a ski bum! :roll:

Welcome to the forum! :wink:
Figured this was the right spot to put this, I'm just wondering if I'm the only person who pronounces "Lostone" in his head as "Law-stone"... don't know why but that's the way I read it for years on the RSN forums and didn't realize it was "Lost one" until some time during my AlpineZone stay...

Lostone
01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Could also be Lo Stone? Or Los Tone? With a silent, long, or short e? Or...? Or...? :?

So many options... :roll: :mrgreen:

noski
01-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Could also be Lo Stone? Or Los Tone? With a silent, long, or short e? Or...? Or...? :?

So many options... :roll: :mrgreen:

Lost-One was much easier to draw in the image contest than Low-stone or Los-Tone, though in my head he is a low-stone... :wink: I nice one though!

skibum1321
01-05-2006, 08:36 AM
I never even thought about saying it any way other than lost one.

Talisman
01-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I am Talisman an ethusiastic skier and SB and MRG are two of my favorite areas, but I ski a variety of places in VT, NH, ME, NY and Quebec as weekend warrior. I have skied the west in WY, BC, UT and CA. Mammoth is the western area I have skied the most at ~30 days, but have skied a bit in North Tahoe and UT too.

I find ski boards interesting to glean information on snow conditions, equipment, lodging and driving routes, but tend to get bored quickly with rants, slag-fests and over-done topics like skiing vs snow boarding.

Lostone
01-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the board. We hope to have some to interest and bore you.

We are trying to keep the slugfights down, but rants and snowboard v ski discussions? :shock:

Hey we only have so much power. :?

rdavisvmd
01-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Just joined the board. I have skied SB and MRG for about eight years now. I have a group of hockey players who I organize a trip for each year.

I used to be a instructor at a small mountain in PA prior to kids. I love the bumps, trees and exploration opportunities at these mountains.

Randy

Strat
01-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Welcome welcome. Our members are really starting to branch out... first the MRV, then Pennsylvania, then THE WORLD!!! :twisted:

:roll: :wink: 8)

Lostone
01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
By saying that oyou organize a trip for hockey playser... Are you saying it is icy, here?? :evil:

Welcome to the board! :)

Jump in on anything that interests you.

If nothing interests you, start something that does. :wink:

rdavisvmd
01-10-2006, 09:43 AM
If you would like to venture south 8 hours, I can show you icey. Nothing like 50 degree spring skiing during the day in January and death cookies at night.