PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

phin
11-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Will we be skiing on 11/19?

Looks like a solid window to make some snow this weekend, but next week is looking dicey.

teleo
11-11-2016, 04:27 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161111/6384144f9d75f8f32197e74e4558c861.jpg

Finally snowmaking at the base of heavens gate.[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cdskier
11-11-2016, 04:46 PM
It was nice to finally see snowmaking at the base of HG late this afternoon on the cam.

I figured at best you'll have skiing off HG but decided it wouldn't be worth the drive up with the current weather forecast so made my yearly eye dr appt for 11/19. So while there may be skiing, I won't be there. Looks like it will be December for my first turns this year. I'm still rooting for them to be able to open for 11/19 though. We'll see what kind of production they get from snowmaking this weekend. While the weather this week doesn't look good for snowmaking, I also don't think it looks bad enough to melt too much if they can put down enough this weekend.

Ride Delaware ?
11-12-2016, 12:53 AM
It will be a little dicey. Looks like a better weather pattern may present itself the weekend before Thanksgiving. If they can't make the 19th, I'd be shocked if they don't hit Black Friday.

cmoore
11-12-2016, 08:40 AM
...not sure but it looks as though at ME too.

phin
11-15-2016, 09:52 AM
I wonder how the fake stuff is holding up

Ride Delaware ?
11-15-2016, 11:42 PM
Next 4 days aren't going to be helpful, but if the pattern changes the way it looks on Sunday, I would say that there should be skiing/riding on Wed, if not earlier...

phin
11-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Saturday night could prove to be fruitful.

And would be a great way to set up a string of sub 32 days going into following weekend.

Ride Delaware ?
11-16-2016, 09:45 AM
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to have downloading on Wednesday and potential t2b by weekend if the forecast holds...

cdskier
11-16-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm a bit surprised the snow report seems to still be holding out hope of opening this weekend.

Benski
11-16-2016, 11:56 AM
They posted pictures of the glen house area and that looked ready to go. It would be a surprise but if the lifts are ready to go they could open Mt. Ellen.

Ride Delaware ?
11-16-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm a bit surprised the snow report seems to still be holding out hope of opening this weekend.
We know that the bottom of HG doesn't have enough snow, so the only hope at opening this weekend would be over at North... Unless this past weekends production was incredible. They were starting from the ground there at bottom of HG.

Sugarbushskier9
11-16-2016, 01:47 PM
They posted pictures of the glen house area and that looked ready to go. It would be a surprise but if the lifts are ready to go they could open Mt. Ellen.

Yeah I wonder if they'd open MEllen on Saturday and then open Lincoln Peak on Wednesday and close MEllen?

My gut says no as that's a huge pain in the ass to have to staff Mt Ellen side then switch everything to LP.

Sugarbushskier9
11-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Also looks like Stowe has already moved their opening day to Wednesday. Their report mentions lack of snow around the base area. Sucks not having an upper mountain lift lol.

cdskier
11-16-2016, 02:57 PM
They updated the snow report and posted on Facebook that they are pushing opening day back to Wednesday at LP with Jester, Upper OG, and Downspout with downloading on Super Bravo.

winjr
11-16-2016, 03:03 PM
We skied ME today which would have been the best shot. Given the warm days forecasted through Sunday we are putting off opening until next Wednesday. The first few might have had some nice turns but it would get trashed quickly. Looks like good snowmaking temps starting late Sunday so we will most likely open LP with downloading and skiing Upper Jester, Upper Organgrinder and Downspout and trying to get top to bottom asap. We will attempt to have Upper Jester and Elbow for some of the World Cup competitors to train on.

Sugarbushskier9
11-16-2016, 05:58 PM
They updated the snow report and posted on Facebook that they are pushing opening day back to Wednesday at LP with Jester, Upper OG, and Downspout with downloading on Super Bravo.

Thanks for the heads up! The report was updated earlier today saying they still thought 11/19...so I never would've checked again today. Wonder when that came out.

Sugarbushskier9
11-16-2016, 06:00 PM
We skied ME today which would have been the best shot. Given the warm days forecasted through Sunday we are putting off opening until next Wednesday. The first few might have had some nice turns but it would get trashed quickly. Looks like good snowmaking temps starting late Sunday so we will most likely open LP with downloading and skiing Upper Jester, Upper Organgrinder and Downspout and trying to get top to bottom asap. We will attempt to have Upper Jester and Elbow for some of the World Cup competitors to train on.

Thanks for the update. Win is this season's snowmaking at Ellen a change from previous years? Doesn't Inverness get the early snowmaking normally?

cdskier
11-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up! The report was updated earlier today saying they still thought 11/19...so I never would've checked again today. Wonder when that came out.

Only reason I refreshed the snow report was because I saw the post on Facebook. I'm assuming they did them both around the same time. Looks like that FB post was made a bit before 3PM.

phin
11-29-2016, 09:41 PM
... and thanks to Nick, we're back online

cdskier
11-29-2016, 09:51 PM
I was worried we would never see this forum again!

Ride Delaware ?
12-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Me too! Anybody with some computer experience willing to take it off Nick's hands? I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

winjr
12-02-2016, 06:33 AM
I can not access through my work PC. It is still getting blocked. Quick update.. trails with snowmaking held up really well after the rain, so we can focus on expanding terrain once temps come down. Looks like Ripcord next..

Sugarbushskier9
12-02-2016, 04:17 PM
I can not access through my work PC. It is still getting blocked. Quick update.. trails with snowmaking held up really well after the rain, so we can focus on expanding terrain once temps come down. Looks like Ripcord next..

Win...what's the reasoning behind listing 9 trails open when the paying public can only get to 4? Yesterday it said 4 trails, and then today I looked and saw 9 trails....got very excited that the new snowfall opened up some additional terrain. Then scrolled the trail listing to find 5 listed as open at Mt Ellen? I only ask because I was so pumped that maybe the new snow opened more terrain and then it was like getting your heart ripped out haha.

Not a huge fan of including that in the trail count for what can only be purely marketing purposes. This weekend will there be 9 trails open yet only 4 that paying people can ski on?

Hawk
12-02-2016, 06:52 PM
What do you mean..... GVS pays to ski there. ;-)

actually I don't care about the count as long as they keep blowing snow.

winjr
12-03-2016, 06:33 AM
The trails at ME are open but reserved for race training by GMVS. These trails are marked "R" on the snow report.. They do pay to have these trails open. Sorry for any confusion.

We are blowing snow on both mountains whenever temps allow now. Waiting for temps to get lower in next few days.

Sugarbushskier9
12-03-2016, 06:44 AM
13" of new snow past two days!

I'm seeing 9" in last 24 hours on report but snow cam says 6-7".

Either way game on!

Hawk
12-03-2016, 07:39 AM
It snowed all yesterday afternoon. I think they cleaned off the board in the afternoon so that was the other 3". Good skiing. Again mother nature bailed them out with snow from heaven.

Sugarbushskier9
12-03-2016, 08:12 AM
It snowed all yesterday afternoon. I think they cleaned off the board in the afternoon so that was the other 3". Good skiing. Again mother nature bailed them out with snow from heaven.

Well there is a 24 hour loop and it only got cleared once...and a time stamp lol. It's pretty easy to see what's happening and it's 6-7" in 24 hours, just interested if maybe the groomers thought it was low or something?

Doesn't matter but some of us are anal retentive on this stuff.

The Poacher
12-03-2016, 11:21 AM
I would say you should be thrilled whether it's 6-7 or 9". I'm in a hospital in West Chester, PA right now with my new baby daughter, Evie, who arrived 6am this morning. As such, this will be the first year my family hasn't spent the week between xmas and new years at Sugarbush in over a decade. At least I got skimrv back so I can live vicariously thru you all. Enjoy the pow

cdskier
12-03-2016, 11:55 AM
I would say you should be thrilled whether it's 6-7 or 9". I'm in a hospital in West Chester, PA right now with my new baby daughter, Evie, who arrived 6am this morning. As such, this will be the first year my family hasn't spent the week between xmas and new years at Sugarbush in over a decade. At least I got skimrv back so I can live vicariously thru you all. Enjoy the pow

At least that is a good reason to not be going up! Congrats on your daughter!

Hawk
12-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Snowed all day and is still snowing now. Hope it continues overnight.

winjr
12-04-2016, 06:47 AM
We had been cleaning the.stake in the morning and before our 1pm snowplan meeting. Overnight Friday we got 6" and then another 6" by 1pm.
We have decided to do it differently going forward and started yesterday afternooon. We will clean the stake once a day at 3:45pm. That way one can see what got overnight and cumulatively through the day.

teleo
12-04-2016, 09:27 AM
How many times a day to clear the snow stake. Now that is a good problem to have😆😆

HowieT2
12-05-2016, 05:50 AM
We had been cleaning the.stake in the morning and before our 1pm snowplan meeting. Overnight Friday we got 6" and then another 6" by 1pm.
We have decided to do it differently going forward and started yesterday afternooon. We will clean the stake once a day at 3:45pm. That way one can see what got overnight and cumulatively through the day.

Great job on the snow cam, but the board should sit on top of the existing snowpack, not in hole. Otherwise, the snow is just going to fill in from the sides from the wind whether it is actually snowing or not. There was some evidence of that this weekend.

djd66
12-05-2016, 07:20 AM
What very cool is watching the 1 week time lapse. Too bad it does not go further out than 1 week.

Hawk
12-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Great job on the snow cam, but the board should sit on top of the existing snowpack, not in hole. Otherwise, the snow is just going to fill in from the sides from the wind whether it is actually snowing or not. There was some evidence of that this weekend.
Howie, what is this I am hearing that you did not get a place this year????? WTF
If true you guys can come up and stay with us for a weekend or two if you want. Let me know.

HowieT2
12-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Howie, what is this I am hearing that you did not get a place this year????? WTF
If true you guys can come up and stay with us for a weekend or two if you want. Let me know.

it's true. first time in a decade. daughter has SAT work every weekend and after last season I didnt want to spend the money. Appreciate the offer and may take you up on it.

winjr
12-07-2016, 07:23 AM
I will miss your posts, Howie. Hope you can get up at least a few times.

nhskier1969
12-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Any word about possible expansion latter this week for the Valley House side. The pictures that I see from SB looks great. but if they go into this weekend with only two lifts running it could be a shit show with the amount of skiers they may.

Benski
12-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Seems inevitable that they will open the Valley House trails with just natural snow but i am not sure that would mean running the lift.

shadyjay
12-07-2016, 02:35 PM
If we can get SB->Fling locked in with snowmaking, I would guess that VHQ would spin for the weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if patrol dropped the ropes on Twist, Moonshine, and Lower SB->Racer's. But the weekend is still a few days out. SB->Fling is a lot of real estate to cover, but with cold temps coming in for the weekend, it very well may come together quickly and nicely. Also, we're ready to make snow on Pushover off Gate House to expand beginner terrain, but that will take some time to get ready. Don't want to open that au'natural, being a beginner route and such. Once we make snow on it, it'll probably be left to cure for a time before its groomed. A lot of variables between now and then... but so far so good.

HowieT2
12-07-2016, 02:52 PM
I will miss your posts, Howie. Hope you can get up at least a few times.

Oh I'll be up more than a few times, just not every weekend and holiday as in the past. Another reason is that my daughter doesnt get off of school for presidents week, and I couldnt resist booking a cat ski trip in BC for myself that week, what with the exchange rate being so favorable.

nhskier1969
12-08-2016, 06:56 PM
If we can get SB->Fling locked in with snowmaking, I would guess that VHQ would spin for the weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if patrol dropped the ropes on Twist, Moonshine, and Lower SB->Racer's. But the weekend is still a few days out. SB->Fling is a lot of real estate to cover, but with cold temps coming in for the weekend, it very well may come together quickly and nicely. Also, we're ready to make snow on Pushover off Gate House to expand beginner terrain, but that will take some time to get ready. Don't want to open that au'natural, being a beginner route and such. Once we make snow on it, it'll probably be left to cure for a time before its groomed. A lot of variables between now and then... but so far so good.

I hope they can blow enough snow to open spring fling/snowball side this weekend. Skiing under the guns this weekend with the temperatures forecasted, it will be like skiing gunpowder.

winjr
12-09-2016, 05:17 AM
I hope they can blow enough snow to open spring fling/snowball side this weekend. Skiing under the guns this weekend with the temperatures forecasted, it will be like skiing gunpowder.

That is the goal. Yesterday was warm but guns were moved down to Snowball and Spring Fling by evening.

southvillager
12-09-2016, 09:51 AM

I just watched the 24hr loop. In the "stake hole" the snow piled right up to the 6" mark. But focusing on the accumulation to the side and back of the hole, it looked closer to 2". However, 6" is better than 2" for marketing purposes.

djd66
12-09-2016, 04:14 PM
I just watched the 24hr loop. In the "stake hole" the snow piled right up to the 6" mark. But focusing on the accumulation to the side and back of the hole, it looked closer to 2". However, 6" is better than 2" for marketing purposes.

I think we can all agree, Sugarbush pumping up snow accumulation is not what they do.... If anything - they under report. Watch the 1 week loop, that tells the real story.

winjr
12-10-2016, 06:27 AM
The stake is on a platform. The measurement is accurate.

Dblshot
12-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Just spray some silicone spray on the wood so the snow doesn't stick

Dblshot
12-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Just spray some silicone spray on the wood so the snow doesn't stick

I meant measuring stick wood.

Sugarbushskier9
12-10-2016, 01:34 PM

The stake is in a hole Win. The board needs to be level with or above the snow surface or else your measurements will be skewed high, sometimes by quite a bit especially as the actual ruler is on the back wall of the hole.snow will creep up the edges of the hole first and then fill in the middle. At least put the measuring device in the middle of the board or something.

Go dig a small hole anywhere on the mountain and you'll see that fill in with snow faster than the actual snow depth rises.

Look at the snow cams out west most are elevated above the snow surface not 3 feet down in it.

cdskier
12-10-2016, 02:33 PM
The stake is in a hole Win. The board needs to be level with or above the snow surface or else your measurements will be skewed high, sometimes by quite a bit especially as the actual ruler is on the back wall of the hole.snow will creep up the edges of the hole first and then fill in the middle. At least put the measuring device in the middle of the board or something.

Go dig a small hole anywhere on the mountain and you'll see that fill in with snow faster than the actual snow depth rises.

Look at the snow cams out west most are elevated above the snow surface not 3 feet down in it.

I just watched the time lapse from "yesterday". The area directly in front of the ruler actually seemed to fill in slower than anywhere else. There was an area closer to the camera that seemed to rise several inches while the snow along the ruler barely moved at all during that same time... Based on what I've seen on all the time-lapse views that I've watched over the past few weeks, so far I'm quite happy with the snow take this year. Last year there were major drifting issues at times. This year I haven't seen that happen at all yet.

HowieT2
12-10-2016, 04:10 PM
I just watched the time lapse from "yesterday". The area directly in front of the ruler actually seemed to fill in slower than anywhere else. There was an area closer to the camera that seemed to rise several inches while the snow along the ruler barely moved at all during that same time... Based on what I've seen on all the time-lapse views that I've watched over the past few weeks, so far I'm quite happy with the snow take this year. Last year there were major drifting issues at times. This year I haven't seen that happen at all yet.

The stake is great to have and they may not be able to raise it if the cam is fixed in place and can't be adjusted. But to get a truly accurate measurement the board can't sit in a hole. Best practice would also be to have the stake be round, not flat, so the snow doesn't climb up the flat surface but that's a quibble. These are all first world problems.

nhskier1969
12-10-2016, 06:14 PM
I was having a discussion with another gentleman on the chairlift today and he brought up why Mount Ellen isn't open. I thought it was something to do with State Forest but he didn't think so. Does anyone know?

cdskier
12-10-2016, 06:37 PM
I was having a discussion with another gentleman on the chairlift today and he brought up why Mount Ellen isn't open. I thought it was something to do with State Forest but he didn't think so. Does anyone know?

Cost efficiency vs demand... Doesn't make sense to run both mountains early season or late season. LP was made the "primary" mountain a number of years ago and ME always has a later start and earlier close as a result. The Mount Ellen 7 pass is valid at LP before ME opens (but is not valid at LP late season after ME closes). The Mount Ellen 7 Plus pass is valid at LP both before ME opens and after ME closes (plus 5 other random days of your choice).

Benski
12-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Money and lack of demand. Though opening the Valley House lodge and The Valley House lift before Mt. Ellen seems silly.

Sugarbushskier9
12-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Yeah yesterday it drifted bad enough that the snow decreased on one part of the board and increased on the other. Howie is right that you can't measure accurately in a hole. Look up any guidelines on measuring snow and that's number 1. The air is rarely still up at that elevation so it's very easy to get snow transport. It doesn't look like it's drifting but snow is filling that hole up faster than it is accumulating around it, that's just how it works.

From NOAA: "If you are not going to measure the Snow Water Equivalent of Snowfall, after you have finished making the Snowfall measurement clear the snow off of the snowboard. After completely clearing snow and ice from the board, reposition it on the surface of the existing snow and mark it with a flag or other marker so you can find it at your next observation time. Never leave a snow measurement board in a depression in the snow as it will then tend to drift over and provide inaccurate data."

Dblshot
12-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Yeah yesterday it drifted bad enough that the snow decreased on one part of the board and increased on the other. Howie is right that you can't measure accurately in a hole. Look up any guidelines on measuring snow and that's number 1. The air is rarely still up at that elevation so it's very easy to get snow transport. It doesn't look like it's drifting but snow is filling that hole up faster than it is accumulating around it, that's just how it works.

From NOAA: "If you are not going to measure the Snow Water Equivalent of Snowfall, after you have finished making the Snowfall measurement clear the snow off of the snowboard. After completely clearing snow and ice from the board, reposition it on the surface of the existing snow and mark it with a flag or other marker so you can find it at your next observation time. Never leave a snow measurement board in a depression in the snow as it will then tend to drift over and provide inaccurate data."

It's not a weather station just be glad they have a stake and a camera at the summit. Pretty cool I think. Before they stuck a ruler in the snow and called it in for the snow report. We all know it's more marketing than science. I use this camera and base area one to more see if it is snowing at night.

Sugarbushskier9
12-11-2016, 04:33 PM
It's not a weather station just be glad they have a stake and a camera at the summit. Pretty cool I think. Before they stuck a ruler in the snow and called it in for the snow report. We all know it's more marketing than science. I use this camera and base area one to more see if it is snowing at night.

Yeah it's an awesome live cam and I do the same thing as you haha...is it snowing or is it not? Let's check the cam. But it is hard to use it to judge actual snowfall as that's what it's purpose is.It is very impressive to have a streaming cam on the ridgeline definitely.

nhskier1969
12-11-2016, 09:48 PM
When the Groomer team hits spring fling in the next several days, hopefully they can give a little love to the bottom of moonshine, the waterbars are pretty tough.

nhskier1969
12-11-2016, 09:50 PM
But the mountain is skiing great right now. Pic from Sat.

WWF-VT
12-12-2016, 04:37 AM
When the Groomer team hits spring fling in the next several days, hopefully they can give a little love to the bottom of moonshine, the waterbars are pretty tough.

There's not enough snow to groom on Lower Moonshine so why bother

nhskier1969
12-12-2016, 02:45 PM
What I am saying is can they push some of the man made snow from Spring fling to the very bottom runout of Moonshine where it meets spring fling

shadyjay
12-12-2016, 03:50 PM
What I am saying is can they push some of the man made snow from Spring fling to the very bottom runout of Moonshine where it meets spring fling

We ran longer at the bottom of Fling since that is a big area to cover and there are some big waterbars at the bottom of Fling that needed to be covered up. Probably not enough to push towards Moonshine. But at the rate this season is going so far, they'll fill in nicely as time goes on.

Last night we ran on Pushover/Lower Pushover and started on Easy Rider. Domino Chute, Middle Jester and Lower OG are next, we got them set up last night. There are definitely a few gnarly waterbars near where Lower Jester meets Downspout at Castlerock Cutoff. I don't know how I cleared them last Wednesday, but they were fun! In fact, everything was fun. My best run down Murphy's and Lower Birdland in years!!! Hope to be out enjoying my work over the next 2 days.

cdskier
12-12-2016, 04:04 PM
When I drove by the base a little while ago it looked like the guns were going on lower og. I think I need to make getting over to CR this week a priority. Any recent reports on how CR is holding up from anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadyjay
12-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Guns were blasting today on Domino Chute, Middle Jester, and Lower Jester down to where it meets Lower Downspout/CR cutoff, plus potentially on part of Lower OG, as well as Easy Rider and First Time. Didn't see any guns going on Lower OG below Lower Jester (ie - the section from the germ chute, down to the top of Gondolier), but I'm sure that will be next, along with Lower SB and Racer's Edge. Rode the latter two today... not too shabby, and the waterbars are filling in quite nicely! Ripcord rode like a dream this am... upper OG was just as good (just not groomed). Natural Jester was fun as well.

Snow report says they're grooming out VHT->SB->Fling tonight. That should be really nice in the am. The traverse today wasn't too bad... I had fears of not making it across on my board, but cruised and sailed right through the whales without a problem. Skier's right side of SB was sooooo nice!

Hawk
12-18-2016, 07:36 AM
Well yesterday was epic. We skied more untracked yesterday then all last year put together. Soo much fun to ski with all my winter friends. This morning is 48 deg. and r%@#. They closed all the natural trails to preserve them. I think that is the smartest thing considering. Winds are ripping so I bet there will be lift closures but we will see. I kind of expected this big weather turn around. It is nearing Christmas after all. ;-)

Dblshot
12-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Well yesterday was epic. We skied more untracked yesterday then all last year put together. Soo much fun to ski with all my winter friends. This morning is 48 deg. and r%@#. They closed all the natural trails to preserve them. I think that is the smartest thing considering. Winds are ripping so I bet there will be lift closures but we will see. I kind of expected this big weather turn around. It is nearing Christmas after all. ;-)

I agree with epic. Untracked deep runs in the woods and the place was empty! What a gift after last year. There should be a bullet proof base after tonight's run to below zero. Hopefully this is the January thaw

cdskier
12-18-2016, 09:49 AM
I agree with epic. Untracked deep runs in the woods and the place was empty! What a gift after last year. There should be a bullet proof base after tonight's run to below zero. Hopefully this is the January thaw

I was amazed how empty it was when I was watching the views on the webcams. CR was the only lift with a line any time I looked. Too bad about the weather now screwing everything up...although we'll certainly have a solid base after tonight.

winjr
12-18-2016, 10:41 AM
I can finally access this blog via our computer at SB so will try to be quicker with responses. The past few days were indeed epic. We actually had a terrific turnout yesterday for this time of year. We do not usually see these skier numbers until the Holidays. However, with 100% of the terrain open and 13 lifts running it did not seem crowded and in fact was not. That is the beauty of the terrain and lift system here. They really spread people out. And I did notice quite a few tracks down Slidebrook. The SB lift is being load tested on Wednesday so if the snowpack underneath held up we would look to have that by the weekend.

Yes, we did close the natural terrain to preserve as much as possible and with the cold later today they and the woods should set us a nice base for the rest of the season. Snowmaking resumes tonight on Hot Shot and Slowepoke and the Terrain park over at ME. That will max our water and get them in fast so we can move on to others. Fortunately all the trails where we finished making snow held up OK so we don't have to go backwards. Rivers are roaring and the pond will be full, so I expect with the combination of grooming, snowmaking and some natural snow we will have some good conditions by the weekend.

winjr
12-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Easy Rider was hit hard by the rain so we switched production there tonight from Slowepoke. Really important to have this trail for the Holidays.

Sugarbushskier9
12-19-2016, 04:24 PM
How'd the 3" of snow today ski and help out? That's a good bit of snow and no other area reported more than a dusting, so I was surprised to not hear more mention of it in the report. That should be a great resurfacing snowfall.

Or was it just drifted into the snow cam because it looks like there was 0" reported at the top of Bravo and the base area? Be interesting at the end of the season to see the Allyns Lodge snowfall total and the snow cam total. It seems like the top of Bravo gets 50% or less of the snowfall at the summit if you tally it up throughout the season. Like currently there's been 11" in the last 72 hours and 5" at the Allyns Lodge stake. Its been a consistent 50% or even less. Pretty crazy gradient on the upper 1,000 vertical feet.

HowieT2
12-20-2016, 06:01 AM
How'd the 3" of snow today ski and help out? That's a good bit of snow and no other area reported more than a dusting, so I was surprised to not hear more mention of it in the report. That should be a great resurfacing snowfall.

Or was it just drifted into the snow cam because it looks like there was 0" reported at the top of Bravo and the base area? Be interesting at the end of the season to see the Allyns Lodge snowfall total and the snow cam total. It seems like the top of Bravo gets 50% or less of the snowfall at the summit if you tally it up throughout the season. Like currently there's been 11" in the last 72 hours and 5" at the Allyns Lodge stake. Its been a consistent 50% or even less. Pretty crazy gradient on the upper 1,000 vertical feet.

The snow discrepancy between the summit and Alyns is incredible. It's 1000' elevation difference and while there should be some significant difference, double seems suspicious.

winjr
12-20-2016, 08:46 AM
The snow discrepancy between the summit and Alyns is incredible. It's 1000' elevation difference and while there should be some significant difference, double seems suspicious.

I will let you know shortly when I go out. This year we have seen a lot more high elevation snowfall than the past. If you watch the radar you can see arrows of lake effect snow that gets very targeted at the peaks. So far we have been lucky with their aim.

Sugarbushskier9
12-20-2016, 12:27 PM

For me I always like to look at the mid-mtn numbers as 3" or 5" or whatever at the peak is great and all but when I see 0s and 1s at Alyns Lodge I know if I'm making laps on Bravo I won't actually get to enjoy the 5" of new snow touted on the snow report dialog or in the snow phone. Calling the snow phone to hear 7" of new snow (but 1" base and 3" at top of Bravo), I just know I'll have to ride Heavens Gate to actually enjoy it.

As I've stated I have the 30s pass to Stowe and Bush and have been mixing it up. Stowe's had about two feet less snowfall in their reports but I will say they have a hell of a lot more snow on the ground in the lower elevations. Up high it seems very similar but what Win is saying makes sense in some odd way as Stowe has a much better natural snow cover top to bottom...it didn't seem tied to just the peak, but the Bush has had some very localized summit Snowfall . But I've also seen on their Instagram posts it seems they measure snow around 3000 instead of 4000...which I think would be similar to the top of Bravo.

Sugarbushskier9
12-20-2016, 12:29 PM
I will let you know shortly when I go out. This year we have seen a lot more high elevation snowfall than the past. If you watch the radar you can see arrows of lake effect snow that gets very targeted at the peaks. So far we have been lucky with their aim.

It is true, the actual peak has done quite well this season. Be interesting to see the yearly totals at the three locations but I really have been seeing 50% reductions as you come down Jester. So maybe 135" at the top of Heaves Gate is like 75" at the top of Bravo.

winjr
12-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Hot Shot has been coming in really well. This is a very challenging trail to make snow on with 59 guns. The snowmakers did an excellent job and we are close to finished. We are moving over to Slowpoke and North Lynx as the base areas temperatures are going to be warmer the next few days. Getting North Lynx in before the Holidays will be a big benefit to spread people out. Over at ME we are close to finishing Reimergasse for the Park crew and going to Sugar Run and North Star tonight to make sure we have good beginner terrain for the Holidays. Afterwards maybe Cliffs or Which Way.

The 3" of snow was measured by 3:45pm Monday afternoon. But looking at the trails this morning it did settle into the higher trails and filled in some of the moguls. I think another 6" and we will be skiing those trails again. Wednesday night into Thursday morning will bring something. Hoping it is again more at the higher elevation that what the weather moguls are forecasting. The base is firm many icy patches so it is edgeable.

GolfingOwl
12-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the updates Win Jr. Will be up Thursday night though Monday (skiing Friday through Sunday) so watching the reports daily. Obviously, missed some great conditions but seems like won't be a total loss.

HowieT2
12-20-2016, 10:23 PM
For me I always like to look at the mid-mtn numbers as 3" or 5" or whatever at the peak is great and all but when I see 0s and 1s at Alyns Lodge I know if I'm making laps on Bravo I won't actually get to enjoy the 5" of new snow touted on the snow report dialog or in the snow phone. Calling the snow phone to hear 7" of new snow (but 1" base and 3" at top of Bravo), I just know I'll have to ride Heavens Gate to actually enjoy it.

As I've stated I have the 30s pass to Stowe and Bush and have been mixing it up. Stowe's had about two feet less snowfall in their reports but I will say they have a hell of a lot more snow on the ground in the lower elevations. Up high it seems very similar but what Win is saying makes sense in some odd way as Stowe has a much better natural snow cover top to bottom...it didn't seem tied to just the peak, but the Bush has had some very localized summit Snowfall . But I've also seen on their Instagram posts it seems they measure snow around 3000 instead of 4000...which I think would be similar to the top of Bravo.

I heard the same thing from someone else about the snow at the base of Stowe.

nhskier1969
12-21-2016, 07:05 AM
I've stayed several times at Jay Peak and the Same thing. I've stayed at the mtn condos off of Village Chair. The mtn one day reported 8 new but where I was staying(on mtn) they didn't even have to plow the parking lot.
I think it's great that Sugarbush reports Upper/Mid/base snow. I don't think any other resort in New England does that. Everyone only gives you the totals at the top.

shadyjay
12-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Saw the work we did on Hot Shot Sunday night/Monday morning today, and all I can say is... WOW, we put down a lot of snow! Saw a few people heading down it today. It's not pushed out or groomed yet. Pushover Chute and Second Thoughts looked really good as well. It's amazing what a couple nights/days of cold temps can do! Guns were blasting on Slowpoke and Birch today. Birch will need some time for sure, but it'll be nice to have another "pod" available for the upcoming holiday week. Ventured down Easy Rider to the Village on my last run. There's still piles there as well, not nearly as massive as Hot Shot, and they were nice. I'd guess Hot Shot and Easy Rider will be groomed within a couple days. Gotta give it time to "leach out" before "pushing out".

Elsewhere, conditions are "fast and firm", but completely edgeable on the groomed surfaces. Didn't venture "off-groomers" today. There's definitely a good base out there, just needs some natural to fill it in.

Sugarbushskier9
12-21-2016, 03:42 PM
I've stayed several times at Jay Peak and the Same thing. I've stayed at the mtn condos off of Village Chair. The mtn one day reported 8 new but where I was staying(on mtn) they didn't even have to plow the parking lot.
I think it's great that Sugarbush reports Upper/Mid/base snow. I don't think any other resort in New England does that. Everyone only gives you the totals at the top.

Well Jay is pretty ridiculous. I've been there times when they definitely were getting more snow than everyone else, but they still reported higher than what it seemed. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

At least at Sugarbush you know where the number is coming from, even if it's the highest possible snowfall location you can find on the mountain. You can always check the mid and base numbers for comparison and to get a better idea.

I obviously watch the snow reports between Stowe and Bush and I will say Stowe is also good at giving the base snowfall. They make mention of it every time it snows in their written report. I do think Stowe and Sugarbush are two of the better reports in the area. Smuggs gives next to no information and I get the feeling Killington only reports summit snow.

Sugarbushskier9
12-21-2016, 03:48 PM

It's weird because both mountains seem similar in snow up high but not aon the lower trails. This is my first year even paying attention to what goes on at Stowe so I have no idea if it's a fluke or if that's how the mountain generally is.

Anyway I'm heading back to the Bush for a few runs tomorrow.got business in Waitsfield. Being an insurance auditor isn't exciting except when I get to take a few runs between appointments. Hoping this clipper storm brings some snow.

cdskier
12-21-2016, 05:35 PM
It really is amazing what a difference it is this week compared to last week. Last week I was skiing more ungroomed and natural trails than groomers. This week I'm skiing groomers pretty much exclusively. The bottom third of the mountain definitely lost some significant depth. Above that still had decent depth but it is quite solid. A good base for sure once we get some more snow. The snowmaking trails seem to have held up well in terms of depth. They seem to ski better after every grooming cycle. Tomorrow will probably be my last day until the weekend after New Years. Hoping for a bit of snow tonight and tomorrow. This week really made me realize how spoiled we were earlier in December! Sure was amazing while it lasted.

nhskier1969
12-21-2016, 07:46 PM
It's weird because both mountains seem similar in snow up high but not aon the lower trails. This is my first year even paying attention to what goes on at Stowe so I have no idea if it's a fluke or if that's how the mountain generally is.

Anyway I'm heading back to the Bush for a few runs tomorrow.got business in Waitsfield. Being an insurance auditor isn't exciting except when I get to take a few runs between appointments. Hoping this clipper storm brings some snow.

I noticed skiing SB this (3 weekends).year, that the snow really pilled up from the base of Spillsville going up which is at 3,000 feet. Spillsville was almost skiable thanksgiving weekend. So I don't think the big snow numbers were only confined to the top.

cdskier
12-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Today's snow is drastically improving conditions. The all natural Murphys has been so much fun. Snow has been steadily falling all day at all elevations, but the top of hg legitimately had about twice what the top of bravo had first thing this morning.

Treeskier
12-22-2016, 07:36 PM
What an Autumn we had.
https://scontent.fphl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15621970_1178569545597614_6907898110331296146_n.jp g?oh=15152347e444bfc3aa355e60cac38caf&oe=58EFDC50

Hope we get the goods again soon! Or should I say woods :)

cdskier
12-24-2016, 12:54 AM
It is true, the actual peak has done quite well this season. Be interesting to see the yearly totals at the three locations but I really have been seeing 50% reductions as you come down Jester. So maybe 135" at the top of Heaves Gate is like 75" at the top of Bravo.

Last year the snow report e-mails that went out daily gave all 3 totals...would be awesome if they start doing that again.

Here were the end of season totals last year:
SEASON TOTAL: 156" Summit 134" Mid-Mtn 69" Base

And here were the totals as of 12/24 last year:
SEASON TOTAL: 16" Summit, 13" Mid-Mtn, 6" Base

It is crazy to think that we've almost had as much snow this year at the summit up to this point as we had at the summit the entire season last year.

winjr
12-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Yes. We will start to post the three elevations again. It has been about 50% mid to summit this year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Hope Santa brings us a ton of snow!

HowieT2
12-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Yes. We will start to post the three elevations again. It has been about 50% mid to summit this year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. Hope Santa brings us a ton of snow!

In case you were doubting the snowcam investment, the reported summit totals are killing everyone else in the east, jay and Stowe included.

teleo
12-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Well played Christmas eve snow report. I'll post it here for posterity.

Status update for Sat, Dec 24

1:40 PM

'Twas the night before Christmas when across Sugarbush, groomers were planning the snow they would push.

Skis hung in the Farmhouse all waxed with great care, awaiting fresh tracks off the 8 AM chair.

Heaven's Gate spins 8 AM until quarter-to-four. Super Bravo and GMX spin 15 minutes more.

9 to 4, we'll see lower mountain lifts come alive. All upper lifts spin 9 to 3:45.

In the Valley we're nestled all snug in our beds, while corduroy visions dance in our heads.

Cord on Jester, on Rim Run, on Inverness, on Snowball! Check the "trail status" tab for a list of them all.

Straight Shot and Easy Rider freestyle features bespatter, with 9 jibs on the first, and 7 on the latter.

The time for the Big Park is now drawing near. 22 features will provide some Sunny D cheer!

Snowmakers missing dinners with cranberry jelly, are hard at work on 7 trails we'll soon ski, ride, and tele.

Just as we wondered about getting around, up the road comes Mad Bus with a bound.

Check our webcams should any new snow appear. Review Skier Responsibility. Be Better Here!

Join us this week for events sure to delight.

Happy Holidays to all - may they always be white!

Benski
12-24-2016, 09:31 PM
Nice snow report!

cdskier
12-24-2016, 11:42 PM
I thought the same thing when I read the report this afternoon. Well done indeed!

winjr
12-25-2016, 06:13 AM
Written by Emily, our new snow reporter this winter.

pinnoke
12-25-2016, 07:38 AM
I sent kudos to John, which I know will be passed along...nice job!

HowieT2
12-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Excellent.
Merry xmas

Sugarbushskier9
12-26-2016, 03:25 PM
That's an awesome report! Loved it yesterday.

Sugarbushskier9
12-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Written by Emily, our new snow reporter this winter.

Win so you guys have a full time snow reporter like some other mountains or is it sort of whoevers there? It seems like throughout the week there's John A, John B, Emily, Nadine, and I feel like I'm missing one more. Is it sort of shared by the marketing staff depending on the day?

FYI Emily is really good on the phone report. Nice tempo.

HowieT2
12-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Win so you guys have a full time snow reporter like some other mountains or is it sort of whoevers there? It seems like throughout the week there's John A, John B, Emily, Nadine, and I feel like I'm missing one more. Is it sort of shared by the marketing staff depending on the day?

FYI Emily is really good on the phone report. Nice tempo.

What's a phone report?

teleo
12-26-2016, 10:05 PM
What's a phone report?
That's when you read the report on your phone;>)

winjr
12-27-2016, 06:39 AM
Emily is main reporter and John A or John B fill in on her days off.. you can call the snow phone at 802-583-7669 (snow)

winjr
12-27-2016, 03:19 PM
Today was better than what we feared. It started off snowing last night at the summit and about 3" accumulated at the summit before the freezing rain then warmer temps came in. Nothing at the stake by the morning but the snow most places on the mountain early on was soft and spring like. Colder temps are coming in and firming it up but with the wind drying things out, human grooming today and a heavy grooming schedule tonight the snowmaking trails should be nice tomorrow morning. We closed the natural trails to preserve them. They will set up and we should have a number of them open tomorrow. We will also check Castlerock to see if we should open for hiking. Birch is being winched tonight along with Ripcord and we will be running North Lynx. Still not enough snow cover for Slidebrook though. ME held up well too, so they will be some nice cruising there and the upper park will be open with the full park likely on Thursday. Snowmaking tonight on Sleeper, Lower Snowball, Racer's Edge, Inverness, Brambles, Sugar Run and Northway.

Then there is Thursday and maybe another weekend clipper. Here's Hoping!:-P

Sugarbushskier9
12-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Today was better than what we feared. It started off snowing last night at the summit and about 3" accumulated at the summit before the freezing rain then warmer temps came in. Nothing at the stake by the morning but the snow most places on the mountain early on was soft and spring like. Colder temps are coming in and firming it up but with the wind drying things out, human grooming today and a heavy grooming schedule tonight the snowmaking trails should be nice tomorrow morning. We closed the natural trails to preserve them. They will set up and we should have a number of them open tomorrow. We will also check Castlerock to see if we should open for hiking. Birch is being winched tonight along with Ripcord and we will be running North Lynx. Still not enough snow cover for Slidebrook though. ME held up well too, so they will be some nice cruising there and the upper park will be open with the full park likely on Thursday. Snowmaking tonight on Sleeper, Lower Snowball, Racer's Edge, Inverness, Brambles, Sugar Run and Northway.

Then there is Thursday and maybe another weekend clipper. Here's Hoping!:-P

Thanks for the report Win! Glad it was better than expected. I'm taking the holiday week off. I did have one question though on the snow yesterday afternoon. The snow cam looked to accumulate 3" in the afternoon whenever it was shoveled off. I'm assuming that's what you are talking about because after 4pm it doesn't look like anything accumulates at the stake? If so, my sister in law was snowboarding during that time and said there were a few snowflakes but nothing close to sticking or accumulation. I'm not going to lie I've watched the time-lapse a bunch of times and I don't see any snowflakes falling like the other times this year. Where did that snow come from? I also don't see 3" of snow that falls and melts? The time-lapse is pretty easy unless the time stamp is wrong?

Sugarbushskier9
12-27-2016, 05:34 PM
What's a phone report?

LOL i meant the snow phone.

cdskier
12-27-2016, 08:49 PM
LOL i meant the snow phone.

Oh, I took Howie's comment to be an insinuation that he was surprised people still call the snow phone. :razz:

winjr
12-28-2016, 06:31 AM
If you watch the time lapse you will see it snowed after it was swept at 3:45, accumulated and then disappeared when the temps rose and rain came in. That is what the Snowreporter saw and reported. Emily did say in the report that snow was followed by freezing rain and rain but in hindsight we could have been clearer to indicate there was a net loss of snow. Since others not have a cam they only saw what was left in the morning. Watch it tomorrow.

Hawk
12-28-2016, 08:23 AM
I skied Monday and Tuesday and I can verify that it did in fact snow a few inches Sunday before the r@#% came in Monday. Skiing Monday was actually awesome and there was not that many people here. As the week has progressed you can feel the building of skiers as the parking lot is getting more full each day. Yesterday was actually not a bad day at all. The temps stayed in the low 40's and middle 30's and the trails from Bravo down were skiing nicely. Most natural snow trails were closed to maintain the snow but tomorrows snow should see them reopen I would think.

I never get nit picky with the report. If it is not perfect then it probably means that some circumstance may have changed after the report. Actually I love it when the report is wrong. I am at the hill and see what is going on and I always just go. I have skied more unreported 3-6 inch storms up top that do not get reported. I love when that happens.

Time to change this thread to Reports from the Hill 16/17.

HowieT2
12-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Oh, I took Howie's comment to be an insinuation that he was surprised people still call the snow phone. :razz:
You would be correct.

winjr
01-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Many still do
You would be correct.

skimore
01-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Noticed the snow making pipe that runs up super brovo was being drained and blown out, is that end of snow making on that pod?

winjr
01-03-2017, 05:46 AM
Noticed the snow making pipe that runs up super brovo was being drained and blown out, is that end of snow making on that pod?
Not at all. Shut down as temps rose. You blow out the pipes so not to have water freeze in the pipes when off and burst the pipes. Should be back on late Wednesday.
Trails left to do are Birdland, Sunrise and Cliffs. Need more depth on Murphy's, Gondolier, Downspout, Cruiser and Lower Ripcord. Then we will want to get the spring trails loaded to last through April - Stein's, Upper Snowball, Spring Fling and Coffee Run.

Today's weather could alter this plan so we will assess tomorrow.

We did have a couple of air leaks which will be welded and ready to go when the cold returns.

Sugarbushskier9
01-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Many still do

Snow phone is one of my favorite things to call while driving in my car (on bluetooth of course). I like Emilys style. she adds a little personality to it. My only suggestion would be to somehow work in the snowfall at the other locations than the summit in the phone dialog. Or maybe just the base and summit numbers to show the spread? i like hearing what to expect when I pull into the parking lot. Then again maybe i'm the only one lol