PDA

View Full Version : Bear Sightings

ReefBum
11-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Well, I was hiking at the resort today to get the legs into skiing shape and I came across these guys! I saw another one earlier in the hike and a fifth one a couple of days ago. If you do any on mountain hiking before opening day, be careful....the bears are around!!

https://youtu.be/leZFMGL8ehA

Benski
11-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Link does not work.

ReefBum
11-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Ok, this should work....

https://youtu.be/leZFMGL8ehA

djd66
11-19-2015, 05:14 PM
wow! what trail is that on?

Ride Delaware ?
11-19-2015, 05:47 PM
It's on the service road, guns are on skiers left, and it's relatively narrow. I'm going lower jester below Castlerock cutoff.

Dblshot
11-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Wow! Looks like 3 cubs out to play. Wonder if one of them is the one that was hanging out in the tree at that same spot last spring?

Hawk
11-20-2015, 07:20 AM
I don't think I have to say this but going near a black bear's cubs is not a good idea. They are usually very skittish and stay away from people but if you go near her cubs, they do attack. Either way, very cool to see that they still live in the resort even with the amount of people on the hill.

ReefBum
11-20-2015, 07:53 AM
wow! what trail is that on?I spotted those three on Lower Jester just above Header.....they were close to the spot where that cub was hanging out in the tree last spring. 5 minutes earlier I saw another adult, probably a young adult, on Castlerock Runout right after I made the turn off of Gondolier. There was a lot of activity at the base so it was certainly a surprise to see them so close.

ReefBum
11-20-2015, 07:58 AM
I don't think I have to say this but going near a black bear's cubs is not a good idea. They are usually very skittish and stay away from people but if you go near her cubs, they do attack. Either way, very cool to see that they still live in the resort even with the amount of people on the hill.I know. They were on the move so I just stopped in my tracks and let them do their thing. The mom seemed to pause a couple of times to check me out so I am glad she kept going. I saw another cub from a service road near Sleeper Woods a couple of days ago but did not see mom. They are very active right now......must be getting ready for the long winter hibernation.

ReefBum
11-20-2015, 08:00 AM
It's on the service road, guns are on skiers left, and it's relatively narrow. I'm going lower jester below Castlerock cutoff.
Good call.

jwt
11-20-2015, 01:20 PM
I don't think I have to say this but going near a black bear's cubs is not a good idea. They are usually very skittish and stay away from people but if you go near her cubs, they do attack. Either way, very cool to see that they still live in the resort even with the amount of people on the hill.

Still live - yes - we live at the bottom of Mt Ellen - bears have trashed the neighborhood all summer ( and last fall and this fall) destroying wooden garbage sheds that have worked for years - even after they had been reinforced - so we called in the Fish and Game Warden - said VT has 3500 bears normally and now - because of hunting restrictions there are 6000. And they are hungry - had one neighbor who had her friend come over with his two pups fixing her lawnmower and while he was under deck of mower his dog kept licking his ear. . . only it wasn't his dog but a bear cub apparently left on their own or it's mom died. Freaked him out a bit needless to say. Pepper spray is ok but staying away as Hawk suggests is the best bet.

They'll be sleeping soon. And hopefully buried.

winjr
11-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Bear are normally shy animals and there have been few if any attacks on humans by a black bear here in Vermont. However, the advice by Hawk is the right one. If they hear you they will likely move before you get to them. If you surprise them and get in between a mother and a cub that is a different story. If you are hiking with someone talking will get heard by them and they will likely move away. If you are by yourself, tapping a couple of small rocks together can also warn them away. Because of what JWT said, more bears are trash hunting. We have had to lock our dumpsters at the golf course. Of course, you never want to leave bird feeder out when they are not hibernating because that will attract them too.