PDA

View Full Version : Community day

djd66
10-10-2015, 04:38 PM
A few take aways from today,.... New lodge at the top of Gatehouse, Mt Ellen open for skinning on Saturday nights

Benski
10-10-2015, 06:46 PM
New lodge at the top of Gatehouse and...

HowieT2
10-11-2015, 04:04 PM
A few take aways from today,.... New lodge at the top of Gatehouse, Mt Ellen open for skinning on Saturday nights

New lodge, when? Any other details?

gostan
10-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Here is my stream of conciousness report from my old memory banks. Win indicated that they are actively working on the new lodge. it is expected to be a reality in a year, or 2 maximum. Expectation is that with this lodge, more ski school programs will stay up top for lunch & ease the lunch crunch down below. The new 45 Low E guns and some mods to two compressors (or 2 new compressors, not sure which), the claim is the mt. will no longer run out of air before running out of water. Nothing stated whether snow making can now take place on orr trails at the same time. 17% energy reduction last year that frees up $$ for other improvememts. Major retrofitting of lifts during off season. New lift operations head working under John Hammomd with more emphasis on lift maintenance. The new building next to VHQ will serve the snow making crews. 9% increase in season tickets at this date compared to last year. 1700 boomer passes this year compared to 1000 at this time last year. Ski programs almost filled up. I have some iphone videos that i will have to watch when i have opportunity, to see what I missed. As usual, Win pulls his presentation off with ease!

Benski
10-11-2015, 06:45 PM
So is this lodge going to be a third cafeteria?

gostan
10-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Very little info given Ben, but at the top of Gatehouse, I would expect some type of real food and bathrooms to keep folks from going back down to the base.We will just have to wait as there is no Q&A at these annual State of the Union of Sugarbush events. After the VHQ, this lodge is definitely the next essential investment. With all 3 base lifts running the uphill capacity will now be 6200 bodies per hour. All positivity today.

sglatham
10-12-2015, 08:01 AM
I suspect the justification for a lodge at the top of Gatehouse is also influenced by summer wedding/party opportunities.

HowieT2
10-12-2015, 08:28 AM
I suspect the justification for a lodge at the top of Gatehouse is also influenced by summer wedding/party opportunities.

no doubt. whatever the reason, a new lodge is a good lodge.

HowieT2
10-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Here is my stream of conciousness report from my old memory banks. Win indicated that they are actively working on the new lodge. it is expected to be a reality in a year, or 2 maximum. Expectation is that with this lodge, more ski school programs will stay up top for lunch & ease the lunch crunch down below. The new 45 Low E guns and some mods to two compressors (or 2 new compressors, not sure which), the claim is the mt. will no longer run out of air before running out of water. Nothing stated whether snow making can now take place on orr trails at the same time. 17% energy reduction last year that frees up $$ for other improvememts. Major retrofitting of lifts during off season. New lift operations head working under John Hammomd with more emphasis on lift maintenance. The new building next to VHQ will serve the snow making crews. 9% increase in season tickets at this date compared to last year. 1700 boomer passes this year compared to 1000 at this time last year. Ski programs almost filled up. I have some iphone videos that i will have to watch when i have opportunity, to see what I missed. As usual, Win pulls his presentation off with ease!

fwiw-17% reduction is not an insignificant amount of money, if my understanding of what they spend is accurate.

gostan
10-12-2015, 09:04 AM
I suspect the justification for a lodge at the top of Gatehouse is also influenced by summer wedding/party opportunities.They could hold 3 weddings at same time. One at golf course. One in Gatehouse Lodge. And one in the new lodge at mid mountain.

All divorces to be held in Slidebrook,😈

WWF-VT
10-12-2015, 07:41 PM
New lodge, when? Any other details?

Win mentioned the future lodge at the top of the Gatehouse area in passing as he was speaking about weddings and other activities. There was no additional detail or time frame given beyond it was in the future plans after Gadd Brook.

Benski
10-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Any word on other new lifts. I know village is due to be replaced but the rest probably will be here for a while.

cdskier
10-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Any word on other new lifts. I know village is due to be replaced but the rest probably will be here for a while.

Other than Village and maybe the Sunny D over at ME, I don't see any upcoming major needs to do any lift replacements. After all the recent overhauls of the remaining lifts I think they should be in pretty good shape for a bit.

Ride Delaware ?
10-12-2015, 10:30 PM
I would bet that the lodge at the top of Gatehouse will be quite impressive. With its location, the aging condition and small size of the Glen house, and the ability to service weddings with full food service and full restrooms (sewer and water), it will become very popular very quickly. Seems like a no brainer. I know it won't be cheap to run sewer and water to it, just like it wasn't for Killington's Peak Lodge, but it will make it much more functional into the future.

Ride Delaware ?
10-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Other than Village and maybe the Sunny D over at ME, I don't see any upcoming major needs to do any lift replacements. After all the recent overhauls of the remaining lifts I think they should be in pretty good shape for a bit.

If the electrical issues on Sunny D are fixed, it could probably run another decade. The bones are solid, it doesn't run fast, and a loaded line isn't that heavy. Same as village double. With the village double being upgraded when the development gets to that point, I can't imagine Sunny D will bet replaced before then unless absolutely necessary.

gostan
10-13-2015, 05:44 AM
fwiw-17% reduction is not an insignificant amount of money, if my understanding of what they spend is accurate.
Howie, you are so very correct. Win appeared to ne more proud and happy with this big 17% energy reduction number, than almost all other accomplishments.

cdskier
10-13-2015, 07:05 AM
If the electrical issues on Sunny D are fixed, it could probably run another decade. The bones are solid, it doesn't run fast, and a loaded line isn't that heavy. Same as village double. With the village double being upgraded when the development gets to that point, I can't imagine Sunny D will bet replaced before then unless absolutely necessary.

Good to know. I know they had some issues with it last year, but didn't know the details.

Dblshot
10-13-2015, 07:39 AM
It is a great place for a lodge but wish it was more accessible from the main mountain. Waiting in the GH line to get there will be prohibitive. It would be great if a lift could be put in from lets say Header/CR Run out intersection up to top of GH or something like that. Or make GH a 6 pack. Gondola cabins or bubble chairs would be nice for Slide Brook to get people from Mt Ellen to eat and then back.

HowieT2
10-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Howie, you are so very correct. Win appeared to ne more proud and happy with this big 17% energy reduction number, than almost all other accomplishments.

I dont know the exact numbers, but I heard several years ago that the snowmaking cost over 10 million a season. so that would be a savings of almost 2 million.

Benski
10-13-2015, 10:29 AM
It is a great place for a lodge but wish it was more accessible from the main mountain. Waiting in the GH line to get there will be prohibitive. It would be great if a lift could be put in from lets say Header/CR Run out intersection up to top of GH or something like that. Or make GH a 6 pack. Gondola cabins or bubble chairs would be nice for Slide Brook to get people from Mt Ellen to eat and then back.

I don't think the line at the bottom of Gate House matters. What does matter is that people already go to were this lodge will be in hight numbers so the lodge will look appealing. I do like the idea of a lift from header to gate house although it should have a low capacity since I don't think those trails can take much more of a beating. Also the lift line would soften up really fast and would probably make some more glade lines accessible. In addition this would reduce the traffic on gondolier behind the gatehouse and on the last section of lower jester which are all problem areas.

cdskier
10-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Gondola cabins or bubble chairs would be nice for Slide Brook to get people from Mt Ellen to eat and then back.

I don't really see a need for that. I'd rather spend money elsewhere on things really needed (not that I can think of anything offhand)

gostan
10-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Or make GH a 6 pack. Gondola cabins or bubble chairs would be nice for Slide Brook to get people from Mt Ellen to eat and then back. Dblshot, you sure have some expensive tastes. Only so much $$ to go around. And i for one do not want SB to become Stratton North.😇😇

Dblshot
10-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Especially when it's not my money....just day dreaming at work....

cdskier
10-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Dblshot, you sure have some expensive tastes. Only so much $$ to go around. And i for one do not want SB to become Stratton North.����

Hah...I almost made the same Stratton comment but then changed my mind to be nice :)

Ride Delaware ?
10-13-2015, 03:36 PM
I definitely don't think that's necessary. All these improvements are headed in the right direction and benefit the mountain and the skiing. I don't believe a Slide Brook Gondola would do either. It's already under utilized. Why would you pour money into a Gondola that would only have half the cabins full at best?

southvillager
10-13-2015, 04:49 PM
If I could schedule the next improvement, it would be a trail allowing skiers to ski over to the Gatehouse chair from Lower Downspout. Something uphill from the area where the groomers are stored. It would reduce the traffic in front of the GH lodge, and reduce skating/poling. Or re-grading reverse traverse so that it is downhill. Or re-grading herringbone hill at the top of HG. I'm too old for that uphill stuff.

But I'll take a new VH lift now and a new lodge in a year or two and be perfectly happy! I am relieved that the resort is investing and trying to keep current.

Benski
10-13-2015, 05:05 PM
If I could schedule the next improvement, it would be a trail allowing skiers to ski over to the Gatehouse chair from Lower Downspout. Something uphill from the area where the groomers are stored. It would reduce the traffic in front of the GH lodge, and reduce skating/poling. Or re-grading reverse traverse so that it is downhill. Or re-grading herringbone hill at the top of HG. I'm too old for that uphill stuff.

The current way is the only way to do that without going uphill. There should be a trail going from sleeper to castle rock runout or gondolier though to reduce traffic behind the lodge and allow people to ski faster as they cross behind. Really the only thing that can be don't to make it easier to get to the top of Gate House from lower downspout is another lift.

Ride Delaware ?
10-14-2015, 12:13 PM
The current way is the only way to do that without going uphill. There should be a trail going from sleeper to castle rock runout or gondolier though to reduce traffic behind the lodge and allow people to ski faster as they cross behind. Really the only thing that can be don't to make it easier to get to the top of Gate House from lower downspout is another lift.

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's worth the hassle (permitting) and money because I don't think the traffic it would see would justify the cost.

Hawk
10-14-2015, 12:42 PM

Yes Ben is right. There is no way to go from gondolier to Sleeper because it is up hill not to mention the whole Maintenance yard is in the way. Now a route from sleeper so you can go directly to the Bravo line is very doable. We used to do that all the time until I got stopped by the Maintenance guys and yelled at. They said I could be run over by a cat.

They are fixing reverse traverse as part of the VH lift upgrade I am told. The Herringbone section at HG.....I think you are out of luck on that.

Benski
10-14-2015, 01:16 PM
I doubt adding a trail going form sleeper to gondolier would be very hard or expensive. Should be next on their to do list.

HowieT2
10-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Snow accumulations will vary greatly depending upon
elevation...but thinking by sunday morning summits of the greens
from sugarbush to mansfield to jay peak will see around 6 inches
along with the upslope areas of the northern dacks above 3500
feet. Meanwhile...2 to 4 inches is likely in the midslope areas
and a dusting to 2 inches above 1000 feet by sunday morning in the
favorable upslope regions. Little accumulation is expected in the
valleys at this time.

Hawk
10-15-2015, 06:45 AM
I doubt adding a trail going form sleeper to gondolier would be very hard or expensive. Should be next on their to do list.

Certainly easy as far as the work to install. But the path will need to go through the existing maintenance area. I am certain of that from getting yelled at. Also it will cross the major trail that leads most people to the lift if you want to get to the side that the line forms. There will be an issue with the traffic management. Just thinking with my operations hat for a moment.

Benski
04-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Here is my stream of conciousness report from my old memory banks. Win indicated that they are actively working on the new lodge. it is expected to be a reality in a year, or 2 maximum.

So this was almost 2 years ago... So new lodge next year? Canceled? I imagine last winter was a big financial setback.