PDA

View Full Version : Valley House Chair construction on Sugarbush webcams

ManyTurns
08-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Sugarbush has redirected two of their live webcams this summer. One is showing the Mall and the construction of the new chair. The other is showing the construction of the new Gadd Brook condominiums.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that up until today, the image on the Valley House chair was reversed, so that Steins was to the left of Steins. It's correct now.

Benski
08-20-2015, 04:56 PM
I just looked at the webcam and now i am trying to figure out what this is.

Hawk
08-21-2015, 06:56 AM
That is the formwork for the base structures at the lift. I am sure it will house the lift control shack. They already poured the footings for the drive a couple of week ago.

HowieT2
09-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Somebody's ready for a bull wheel

Benski
09-05-2015, 07:19 PM
The foundation next to the valley house double looks huge for a list shack. Maybe there will be some mountain ops stuff in there too.

ThinkSno
09-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Somebody's ready for a bull wheel

Excellent pics!

Treeskier
09-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Nice pictures. The lift will be a good disperse-r. Slide looks interesting also.

cdskier
09-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Once you see it in person it seems like they did a great job with the flow and design. There now some pretty big rock and stone piles in front of the lift that weren't there in Howie's pictures.

cdskier
09-20-2015, 06:59 PM

gostan
09-21-2015, 05:19 AM
Great pictures. I particularly enjoyed the last one looking down at the new base.

HowieT2
09-21-2015, 08:12 AM
Good pics.

Dblshot
09-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Thanks for pics! Wonder what the new building is going to be used for? That would be quite the lift shack, maybe for lift ops?

HowieT2
09-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks for pics! Wonder what the new building is going to be used for? That would be quite the lift shack, maybe for lift ops?

Dunno, but when I saw it a few weeks ago there were two tanks on the ground level of that building. I thought maybe they are for diesel fuel for the backup generators, but I really dont know.

cdskier
09-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Dunno, but when I saw it a few weeks ago there were two tanks on the ground level of that building. I thought maybe they are for diesel fuel for the backup generators, but I really dont know.

I believe it is some kind of surface water treatment building for the Mountain Water Company. The ACT 250 permit listed a 299 square foot building for that purpose as part of the plan, so I'm assuming this is it.

HowieT2
09-21-2015, 08:42 PM
I believe it is some kind of surface water treatment building for the Mountain Water Company. The ACT 250 permit listed a 299 square foot building for that purpose as part of the plan, so I'm assuming this is it.

That makes more sense.

jwt
09-22-2015, 07:43 AM
anyone able to take a picture of the base from the stairs where Granite Man sits? Interested in how the grading from the new VH lift will affect the skiers coming from under SB and from base of Fling.

No matter what it is, gonna be better than it was.

cdskier
09-22-2015, 08:17 PM
anyone able to take a picture of the base from the stairs where Granite Man sits? Interested in how the grading from the new VH lift will affect the skiers coming from under SB and from base of Fling.

No matter what it is, gonna be better than it was.

Not exactly what you asked for, but this first pic was taken from the entrance to the patio outside the lodge. The 2nd pic shows a bit of what you're looking for as well from uphill by the VH lodge.

sglatham
09-23-2015, 10:14 AM
Nice shots. That's a lot easier access than the hike to the old double! Gonna make a huge difference. Can't wait to try it out!

Hawk
09-23-2015, 10:14 AM
They are going to wait until the last minute to re-grade the slope. With all the weddings and Summer activities, they really can't tear up that area and make a big mess.

Hawk
09-23-2015, 10:19 AM
With the two lines down there, it is safe to say that ripping through the area to get to Gate house is going to be frown upon a lot more.

jwt
09-25-2015, 04:56 AM
That is ( getting to GH) always a problem in crowds - tell the kids, get up some speed ( otherwise you end up hauling the littlest ones) but I don't see anyway around that - going around coral slows one down and that is probably designed that way - imagine full on speed like the old days? always thought the GHL was too close to that hill. All skiing isn't down hill but we've become a lazy, I shouldn't-have-to-work-at-all-to-get-to-lift bunch. I don't speak for all, and the new lift takes away 90% of the complaining about walking uphill to lifts. Face it, we'll always find something to complain about.

Hawk
09-25-2015, 08:01 AM
Yup, some people it's lifts, others is the CRP, mine is snowmaking.

jwt
09-28-2015, 01:59 PM
That might get a little better this year with all guns ( at least most) the newer low energy dry snow guns. All about placement, power consumption and water access. In other words: $$.

Lets hope we have another cold and constant weather pattern like last year. Not a ton o snow, but not much in the way of thawing mid-season either.

Of course, for many of us, all of the above mentioned areas of complaints can be avoided with skins and natural snow. BYOB, climb up, pick your own fresh line. Doesn't even require a lift ticket.

BarkingDog
09-29-2015, 02:40 PM
Of course, for many of us, all of the above mentioned areas of complaints can be avoided with skins and natural snow. BYOB, climb up, pick your own fresh line. Doesn't even require a lift ticket.

Except doesn't the skinning policy (that everyone asked for) require skiing groomers?

jwt
09-29-2015, 05:07 PM
and of course we're all going to follow policy because that is just who we are, why we retreat to the woods, and why we always vote for more regs. and higher fees. Just like the city. Plenty o' lines where the sun don't shine . . . . .

Orca
10-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Anyone have a date for when the towers are going to be installed? Doubt I'll be in the area, but I'd love to see them airlifted into place.

cdskier
10-05-2015, 04:09 PM
A few weeks ago Win said it would be the week of Oct 5, but then the last Stoke Exchange blog said the week of Oct 12th. I should be up the weekend of October 17th, so can take pics from the base area of the progress at that point which should hopefully include towers by then.

ManyTurns
10-05-2015, 05:06 PM
A really cool thing to see would be the splicing of the cable. I'm aware of only one video on youtube that shows a chairlift cable being spliced. I hope someone will video the process.

HowieT2
10-06-2015, 10:37 AM
A really cool thing to see would be the splicing of the cable. I'm aware of only one video on youtube that shows a chairlift cable being spliced. I hope someone will video the process.

Agreed. I want to be there for that.

Benski
10-06-2015, 01:49 PM
A few weeks ago Win said it would be the week of Oct 5, but then the last Stoke Exchange blog said the week of Oct 12th. I should be up the weekend of October 17th, so can take pics from the base area of the progress at that point which should hopefully include towers by then.

I guess they are a week behind. They can finish a month late for all I care. last I heard they were supposed to finish it by opening day so that gives them a month before they would normally open the lift.

Dblshot
10-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Two towers are up at the bottom, they must have used an excavator. Wonder if they will paint them or leave them the galvanized metal?

winjr
10-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Two towers are up at the bottom, they must have used an excavator. Wonder if they will paint them or leave them the galvanized metal?

I am just returning to the SKIMRV after the summer off, so I will catch everyone up on this stream of posts. Dopplemayr's contract with us is to turn the lift over by November 11th and while there is still a lot to do, they say that will happen. Of course, weather and other things could cause that not to happen but we are planning on it now.

The big building to the right of the new lift looking up hill is for Mountain Water and Lift Maintenance. The bottom floor contains two sand filters where water from Clay Brook flows to be filtered and fed into the overall water system in the winter. Only our wells are needed in the summer. These filters were in the old building basement which was torn down. The second and third floors of the new building with be for lift maintenance. They will have their lockers there, storage for parts and a work area for repairs. They were in the Vehicle Maintenance building previously but this is better space for them and Snowmakers will now use their space which is better for them.

The bottom terminal is supposed to arrive today and then a crane is scheduled to install it tomorrow. The towers are waiting for the ladders to get delivered and attached. The helicopter is now scheduled to fly next Tuesday, October 13th. It is a one or two day job. The bottom lift shaft is water tight so the electrical work can now begin by Dopplemayr. The Drive is assembled offsite and brought in for installation.

Much of the work on the Valley Traverse has been completed including the new snowmaking pipe and new 18' retaining wall in front of the top terminal. Once the bull wheel and top lift shack are in, the final grading will be completed.

Yes, we would expect that skiers and riders traversing over to The Gatehouse lift would be doing so safely. I think you will find that shorter lines because of the two lifts may actually make that easier.

With respect to snowmaking, a few major investments have been made this summer We replaced the pipe on Straight Shot at ME. This not only insures the integrity of the line but allows more water through it up the mountain. We purchased two new 3,000 CFM compressors at ME. With the new Low Energy guns, we will not need more than one much of the time to maximize the water going up the mountain. We are buying 75 new low energy land guns (HKDs and Snowlogics) for trails like Upper Jester, Upper Rim Run, Hot Shot, Birdland, Lower Downspout where towers do not work. And repairs to valves and pump at Lincoln Peak will increase our GPM by around 10%. These were all planned CAPEX items, but we are also replacing the snowmaking pipe that runs from the Pond to the Sugarbush Access Road. This was planned in a couple of years, but a break this summer showed us the walls were dangerously corroded and thin and having it break in the middle of winter was not a risk we wanted to take. Fortunately, we are in a position to take on this extra chore without stopping other projects.

In temperatures permit, we are planning as in the past to start snowmaking on both mountains around the first of November.

Benski
10-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Does winjr=Win?

Glad to seen some more improvements. Will the low e guns replace the old ground guns. I find those thing especially irritating and would be glad to see them gone. When will we expect to seen the valley house open?

Benski
10-07-2015, 04:33 PM
I just looked at the webcam. I think the second tower obstructs that jump on skiers right of coffee run, right before it merges with the mall.

winjr
10-08-2015, 06:20 AM
Yes, they replace those ratnick land guns. As I said we are buying 75 this year. Probably need 25-50 more to totally replace all of the ratnicks.We will see whether Snowlogic or HKD works best.

VH lift opening depends on two factors. 1). Turnover from Dopplemayr which also means State load test exam and 2). When temps allow us to make snow on Snowball and Spring Fling. The HKD towers can get those trails open in three days or less on snowmaking. We would love that to be opening day but we will see.

I had to register again so added the Jr. to win.

HowieT2
10-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Yes, they replace those ratnick land guns. As I said we are buying 75 this year. Probably need 25-50 more to totally replace all of the ratnicks.We will see whether Snowlogic or HKD works best.

VH lift opening depends on two factors. 1). Turnover from Dopplemayr which also means State load test exam and 2). When temps allow us to make snow on Snowball and Spring Fling. The HKD towers can get those trails open in three days or less on snowmaking. We would love that to be opening day but we will see.

Welcome back, Boss. Hope you had a good summer.

My curiosities. How did things work out with the skinny pancake last season and will they be back? My family were big fans.

What's the deal with the cable splicing and would it be possible to watch it?

Were you satisfied with the efficiency of the low e guns installed last season? How did they do in marginal temperatures? Did the real world performance match the specifications? Was there a learning curve to using the low eguns such that you anticipate better performance now that the crews know how to use them?

Benski
10-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Will opening spring fling and snowball take priority over Jester this year?

Benski
10-08-2015, 02:15 PM
tower 1 appears to be finished! How did the crossbar get up there without a helicopter?

HowieT2
10-08-2015, 03:10 PM
tower 1 appears to be finished! How did the crossbar get up there without a helicopter?

Crane

cdskier
10-08-2015, 06:43 PM
I see 2 towers on the webcam with the tops on them! And now Win is back posting updates. Ski season is coming! :D

bill-now
10-08-2015, 08:49 PM
A lot of progress this morning

winjr
10-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Skinny Pancake will be back. It worked our well for both of us and the guests liked them a lot. I am also really pleased they are in two spots in the Burlington Airport. It makes flight delays go better.

The cable is due to be spliced on October 28th. One can watch it from Coffee Run behind the Valley House Lodge.

Yes, all the guns we bought performed well. The first series of SnowLogics took a while to understand how to best use, but each year has gotten better, so the snowmaking team in now a real fan. They operate at a consistent 5 CFM where the HKDs are variable. There are advantages to both, and we like the combination and where they are located.

If we get temperatures at mid-mountain down we will prioritize Snowball and Spring Fling over Upper Jester, but we will be ready to go wherever in order to open by November 21st. The past few years we have been top to bottom and the goal is not to have to down load if at all possible. Being able to get all 4,000+ GPM in early season because of the new guns makes this much more likely.

I hope many of you are up here this weekend. Today was needed rain, but the next three days look great.

HowieT2
10-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Skinny Pancake will be back. It worked our well for both of us and the guests liked them a lot. I am also really pleased they are in two spots in the Burlington Airport. It makes flight delays go better.

The cable is due to be spliced on October 28th. One can watch it from Coffee Run behind the Valley House Lodge.

Yes, all the guns we bought performed well. The first series of SnowLogics took a while to understand how to best use, but each year has gotten better, so the snowmaking team in now a real fan. They operate at a consistent 5 CFM where the HKDs are variable. There are advantages to both, and we like the combination and where they are located.

If we get temperatures at mid-mountain down we will prioritize Snowball and Spring Fling over Upper Jester, but we will be ready to go wherever in order to open by November 21st. The past few years we have been top to bottom and the goal is not to have to down load if at all possible. Being able to get all 4,000+ GPM in early season because of the new guns makes this much more likely.

I hope many of you are up here this weekend. Today was needed rain, but the next three days look great.

The 28th is a wednesday. Midweek is a killer for us working stiffs. I assume that it's weather permitting so hopefully it gets pushed over to a friday.

Ride Delaware ?
10-11-2015, 12:00 AM

Will there still be SR-7's on the hill? I know they aren't the most efficient, but those things can really put out and throw some snow...

winjr
10-11-2015, 07:48 AM
There will some left this year but our intent is to replace them all. You can run 50 of the Snowlogic with same air as one of them.

Dblshot
10-12-2015, 05:41 PM
I'm not a lift expert but it seems like the new towers heads are really narrow for a quad chair. Just looking at them compared to Bravo and the other quads.

HowieT2
10-12-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm not a lift expert but it seems like the new towers heads are really narrow for a quad chair. Just looking at them compared to Bravo and the other quads.

I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Benski
10-12-2015, 06:16 PM
If it is on the webcam it could be out of proportion.

Dblshot
10-12-2015, 07:11 PM
I'm sure they do know what they are doing just keeping the chatter going. I looked at them in person this weekend. The 2nd tower that is up is TALL. No more ducking when you go under the chair on Coffee Run.....

Benski
10-12-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm sure they do know what they are doing just keeping the chatter going. I looked at them in person this weekend. The 2nd tower that is up is TALL. No more ducking when you go under the chair on Coffee Run.....

In order to open coffee run there needs to be sufficient clearance that you will not need to duck so It must have been playing tricks on you to make it look shorter. That tower seems very tall though I hope its just to avoid having a tower in that intersection as opposed to all the way up. Supposedly the chair is going to stay low like north lynx to reduce wind holds. I think that tower is where that little jump used to be so that might be no more.

Dblshot
10-13-2015, 11:59 AM
From the webcam it looks like they are flying towers. See the top bullwheel and towers.

cdskier
10-13-2015, 01:06 PM
From the webcam it looks like they are flying towers. See the top bullwheel and towers.

Awesome stuff. Was on a conference call and decided to pull up the webcam just in time to see a top of one of the towers being flown into place and then another tower. Can't believe how quickly they put a tower in. Under 5 minutes to fly it into place and for the chopper to fly away to pick up more parts.

Looked like they were dealing with a decent breeze too with the way the trees on the cam were moving.

Benski
10-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Is it just me or does the forth tower from the top look lopsided.

william
10-13-2015, 05:00 PM
good job , thanks for the pictures

HowieT2
10-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Question. How many towers are there for the new lift and how many were there for the old one? Looks like there are less now, no?

winjr
10-15-2015, 07:16 AM
14 towers and none are lopsided

sbskier
10-15-2015, 07:54 AM
7 or 8 less towers

jwt
10-15-2015, 12:22 PM
took a walk up to the base of new lift - looks to be 10-20' above SB entrance - easy walk or skate.

Should be plenty of room for incoming skiers/riders. Less traffic on crossover/less traffic in tree routes entering from those trails.

GG and CT routes will be the go to early on powder days.

HG open early spreads people out quicker - all good.

70% increase in BP balances out too - less of them around on weekends maybe?

cdskier
10-15-2015, 04:26 PM
7 or 8 less towers

Are you sure about that? If the new lift has 14 towers, then I think it is almost the same number as the old (but perhaps spaced out more since this lift drops lower down the mountain). I really thought the old lift had only 14 or 15 towers.

Benski
10-15-2015, 09:59 PM
There were 15 on the old lift. So technically only one fewer tower. I can only see 10 on the webcam.

winjr
10-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Actually 16 on the former one.

Benski
10-17-2015, 11:43 AM
SNOW!!!!! Thats sorta how the lift should look.

cdskier
10-18-2015, 04:04 PM
This morning...

Perhaps a good sign of things to come this winter?

HowieT2
10-18-2015, 04:27 PM
This morning...

Nice shots!
That retaining wall looks good. I'm psyched we just got a snow shower down here in ny.

Benski
10-18-2015, 04:33 PM
This morning...

Skiers right might make an interesting entrance to the Mall.

cdskier
10-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Nice shots!
That retaining wall looks good. I'm psyched we just got a snow shower down here in ny.

Thanks...wish I was able to get closer but the parking lot was as far as I made it due to a lack of time this morning before having to leave. I didn't even realize how well you could see the retaining wall until I looked at the pics on my computer when I got back home this afternoon.

skimore
10-19-2015, 05:59 AM
Top of new lift

Dblshot
10-19-2015, 08:32 AM
All good pics, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately the new towers look much taller than the old ones, it will be interesting to see how the wind affects operations and comfort. The weight of the quad chairs will help with the swing but hopefully still low enough that the wind goes over the chair like it used to. The top was usually the place that caused the wind holds where it funnels down the traverse. Those last three are sticking up pretty good but they probably needed to be that high based on the new finish grade elevation. Still can't wait to use it though!

Ride Delaware ?
10-19-2015, 10:46 PM
I like the wider trail leading over to the Valley House side...

Fourwide
10-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Does the rock pile in the center of the photo split the traverse, with Steins and Mall traffic bearing left?

winjr
10-20-2015, 09:30 AM
A response to a couple of the questions. The wind exposure for the former lift was at the very top. The new lift unloads lower and a quad chair is heavier than a double, so we believe it will be less susceptible to wind. The other towers down the mall will have the same protection and the former lift. The top trails are not finally graded yet. Skiers coming across the Traverse will bear right if they are going to Snowball and bear left to enter Steins and The Mall. But there will be a barrier that will prevent them from interfering with the unloading of the VH chair. Coming off the chair you can go right to Stein's and Reverse Traverse and left to Snowball but at a lower level. Dopplemayr hung the Comm (Communications) Line on Sunday so that is one more step completed. Now that the bottom lift shack is water light, they will be delivering the drive and completing the electronics there.

pinnoke
10-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Great progress...all leading up to an exciting season, I'm certain. As far as the comment about towers being higher, remember that you'll soon be looking at them with several feet!!! of snow taking away that perceived height :-)

Njski
10-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like every new lift installation goes right down to the wire as far as timing goes. All summer and spring seems quiet, then a rush to get things done by opening day.

I don't just mean at SB, but everywhere, and I realize the VH might be an exception due to the regarding and prep work at the base.

Benski
10-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like every new lift installation goes right down to the wire as far as timing goes. All summer and spring seems quiet, then a rush to get things done by opening day.

I don't just mean at SB, but everywhere, and I realize the VH might be an exception due to the regarding and prep work at the base.

The lift is supposed to be finished by 11/11. That gives them a week and a half before opening day to correct any mistakes or delays. Normally the valley house does not run the first month of the season and all of the trails off that lift are closed for the first couple of weeks anyway. I would say that is very proactive compared to most college students.

djd66
10-21-2015, 06:56 PM

I have no idea of what is actually going on, but I have to agree - seems like not much was going on all summer and not you have all kinds of activity,.... lets wait so we can hurry up? I am guessing this may have something to do with Dopplemayr's schedule,... but I dont know shit from shinola. I am looking forward to riding that lift!

ManyTurns
10-21-2015, 07:56 PM
My guess is that much of the work isn't very visible. Putting the towers in is visible, but it has to go quickly because helicopter time is both limited and expensive. It's so expensive that a lot of prep work is done in advance and behind the scenes to make the final installation as smooth as possible.

ThinkSno
10-21-2015, 09:44 PM
I have no idea of what is actually going on, but I have to agree

Really?

Hawk
10-22-2015, 06:35 AM
I think it is a true statement that a lot has to do with the lift manufacturer. They are a very specialized company and crews go from one job to another. Also almost every piece is custom built. Sugarbush did the demo, prepped the site and probably were waiting for parts to get built and delivered. I mean the whole thing was not entirely approved by the governing bodies until the end of spring so I would imagine the order was not finalized until then. That is when fabrication probably started. In reality the crowds do not show up intil after Christmas so what is the rush. As long as Bravo does not go on the fritz we should be good. OOOO did I just say that. LOL Jinx.

winjr
10-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Hawk has it correct. These are customized for each installation. Also Dopplemayr has a number of other lifts being installed so the parts manufacturing occurs according to the schedule that works for all. That was the same for the helicopter,r so they had it flying at three different sites in the Northeast sequentially. We also have employees of Dopplemayr dedicated to this project and living here. And, yes we are doing much of the site work, the shack construction and helping with some of the heavy lifting all as part of a detailed construction plan. It does seem like a lot of stop and go, but that is the nature of these things. Items like the drive are manufactured and assembled offsite and brought it to install in the lift shack. Like most construction projects it is interesting to see what comes together in the final days. We wanted the date of November 11th because if the lift is ready and we get three days of the right temperatures we would like to open Snowball and Spring Fling first on November 21st rather than Jester/Downspout first. But we will be prepared for whatever Mother Nature delivers. The new low energy land guns we bought will be great on trails like Jester and Downspout where towers don't work so we can get more water up there early in the season. Snowmaking orientation is today and tomorrow and we are well staffed to begin around the first of November. It is nice to see so many returning veterans as well as new additions to the team.

HowieT2
10-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Hawk has it correct. These are customized for each installation. Also Dopplemayr has a number of other lifts being installed so the parts manufacturing occurs according to the schedule that works for all. That was the same for the helicopter,r so they had it flying at three different sites in the Northeast sequentially. We also have employees of Dopplemayr dedicated to this project and living here. And, yes we are doing much of the site work, the shack construction and helping with some of the heavy lifting all as part of a detailed construction plan. It does seem like a lot of stop and go, but that is the nature of these things. Items like the drive are manufactured and assembled offsite and brought it to install in the lift shack. Like most construction projects it is interesting to see what comes together in the final days. We wanted the date of November 11th because if the lift is ready and we get three days of the right temperatures we would like to open Snowball and Spring Fling first on November 21st rather than Jester/Downspout first. But we will be prepared for whatever Mother Nature delivers. The new low energy land guns we bought will be great on trails like Jester and Downspout where towers don't work so we can get more water up there early in the season. Snowmaking orientation is today and tomorrow and we are well staffed to begin around the first of November. It is nice to see so many returning veterans as well as new additions to the team.

I assume once the lift is operational, the state has to come and do load testing.

winjr
10-23-2015, 06:35 AM
I assume once the lift is operational, the state has to come and do load testing.

They are responsible for completing the load test and then turn it over to us. This is built into the schedule.

HowieT2
10-23-2015, 08:43 AM
They are responsible for completing the load test and then turn it over to us. This is built into the schedule.

on track for splicing the cable on wednesday?
How many people are working that?

ManyTurns
10-26-2015, 06:30 AM
I'm hoping that someone will photograph/video the cable splicing on Wednesday. It would make a great youtube video. There aren't many videos of this.

winjr
10-27-2015, 08:28 AM
Right now the cable splicing is planned for next Monday and will get some photos up,

ManyTurns
10-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Right now the cable splicing is planned for next Monday and will get some photos up,

Glad to hear that. I think there might be a small marketing opportunity here. If you google "ski lift cable splice", the first few results will be youtube videos that show cable splicing. When I did this search, the first result was about "Lift towers and splicing the haul rope," about a lift installation at Vail. The splicing of the cable is very cool... something few people know anything about.

HowieT2
10-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Glad to hear that. I think there might be a small marketing opportunity here. If you google "ski lift cable splice", the first few results will be youtube videos that show cable splicing. When I did this search, the first result was about "Lift towers and splicing the haul rope," about a lift installation at Vail. The splicing of the cable is very cool... something few people know anything about.

Totally agree. this should be videotaped and streamed live. marketing opportunity.

Benski
10-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Totally agree. this should be videotaped and streamed live. marketing opportunity.

Use the webcam.

Hawk
10-27-2015, 12:18 PM
LOL What is your deal with this cable splicing? it is actually pretty boring to watch.

ThinkSno
10-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Maybe for those who have seen it before.

ManyTurns
10-27-2015, 01:10 PM
LOL What is your deal with this cable splicing? it is actually pretty boring to watch.

Ha ha, guilty as charged. In the summer I sail, so I am aware of knots and splicing more than most people. I often notice the cable spice on chair lifts.

Wire cable splices are interesting because they're different from typical synthetic (or natural) rope splices. Wire splices are always "long" splices, where rope splices are usually "short" splices. That's because 1) wire needs to go over a sheave and 2) it's too stiff to weave in a short splice.

To take this obsession another step, I've noticed that the cable splices for detachable lifts are much cleaner and much harder to see than for fixed grip lifts. I assume that's because on a detachable, chairs must be able to attach anywhere on the cable.

HowieT2
10-27-2015, 01:26 PM

What can I say, I'm intrigued.

Hawk
10-27-2015, 02:15 PM
I watched it done at Sunday River years ago when they put in the White Heat lift and also the Aurora lift. They used a contraption that gripped the cable ends and pulled them close together and then did their thing. The techs told us it was a slow process that took all day. We left after about 5 minutes. :-)

djd66
10-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Discovery Science has made a whole show (how its made) on stuff like this,... If they had an episode on ski lifts - i would be dvr'ing

Dblshot
10-27-2015, 04:34 PM
I think it is a pretty specialized thing with not a lot of people doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did not want it recorded to protect their craft. Pictures yes, video no.

MEtoVTskier
10-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Tenney has a few pictures of their having the Eclispe chair haul rope shortened and re-spliced.

https://www.facebook.com/skiTENNEY/photos/pcb.406218722909912/406217806243337/?type=3

winjr
10-28-2015, 06:23 AM
The splicer had pushed this back until Tuesday. Mild weather forecast is good for him but not snowmakers.

Ride Delaware ?
10-28-2015, 04:12 PM
The splicer had pushed this back until Tuesday. Mild weather forecast is good for him but not snowmakers.

It's so far out that you can't rely on it, but things start looking more promising the first week of November, especially at elevation.

sglatham
10-28-2015, 05:04 PM
It will be interesting to see if elevation can offset what is looking to be a very mild November. Forecast better for December, and many El Niņo's with warm Novembers turned out to be cold winters. If it's gonna be warm, rather now......

HowieT2
10-28-2015, 07:29 PM
It will be interesting to see if elevation can offset what is looking to be a very mild November. Forecast better for December, and many El Niņo's with warm Novembers turned out to be cold winters. If it's gonna be warm, rather now......

Nino shmino. We are due for a big snow winter. We haven't been above average in I think, 4-5 seasons. Don't think we see sustained cold like last winter, but active precipitation wise. Up and down.

Tin Woodsman
10-28-2015, 08:17 PM
Nino shmino. We are due for a big snow winter. We haven't been above average in I think, 4-5 seasons. Don't think we see sustained cold like last winter, but active precipitation wise. Up and down.

I'd actually take last season avg snowfall but well above avg snow retention any time as compared to an above avg. snow year with variable temps/snow retention as you might expect in an El Nino year. Keystone and Aspen do just fine with 250" annual snowfalls b/c they don't get any thaws/washouts. In terms of what matters for increasing the quantity and quality of wood skiing days (my personal barometer), it's all about the retention.

djd66
10-28-2015, 08:23 PM
I'd actually take last season avg snowfall but well above avg snow retention any time as compared to an above avg. snow year with variable temps/snow retention as you might expect in an El Nino year. Keystone and Aspen do just fine with 250" annual snowfalls b/c they don't get any thaws/washouts. In terms of what matters for increasing the quantity and quality of wood skiing days (my personal barometer), it's all about the retention.

+1. I will take a cold winter like last year over a winter more snow,... Remember - we did not have any r#%n after that last thaw in December.

HowieT2
10-28-2015, 09:04 PM

Oh I totally agree. But last season was highly anomalous. This isn't Colorado. And with the Nino, we are likely to have above normal temps overall. Unfortunately, there will be thaws. Hopefully they're short lived and we get big snows after.

And fwiw-last season was below average snowfall.

Ride Delaware ?
10-28-2015, 09:16 PM
I'll take 300" with a couple of thaws. If we get snowfall in December, it will make up for a warm November. We will be skiing and riding at the Bush Thanksgiving.

gostan
10-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Predicting snowfall totals, when and how much, is like predicting the scores to football games. I do not believe in the later (or Draft Kings & FanDuel) so I will just have to wait for Mother Nature to get her act together as to the former. The cold will come, the snow making machines will blow and the natural snow will pile up. I will be there when it all comes to fruition.

And anybody who can predict this should own a Ski Area, or Not.

Dblshot
10-29-2015, 01:26 PM
I recall it being pretty friggin cold last winter, like too cold on a lot of the weekends. Single digits and windy. Preserved snowpack was nice for later in the year but there was no real spring skiing. Now if we could get the heavy cement dump like last December again...that was great!!

HowieT2
10-29-2015, 01:41 PM
I recall it being pretty friggin cold last winter, like too cold on a lot of the weekends. Single digits and windy. Preserved snowpack was nice for later in the year but there was no real spring skiing. Now if we could get the heavy cement dump like last December again...that was great!!

I hear ya, but I never complain about cold. now r$%^&n on the other hand....

Hawk
10-29-2015, 02:20 PM
I really do not mind the cold that much. Cold means skiing bumps, woods and making more turns to stay warm which is what I like to do anyway. That was all last year for me. But I am definitely not in the camp that last year was a really good year. My favorite years are big snow years with lots of big midweek storms and up slope snows. Last year we did not have that many good sized storms. Ya the snow stuck around but it was kind of boring. This is totally my opinion and the cause of much debate between friends. I will take any warm ups as long as they are followed by snow storms.

Dblshot
10-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Haul rope going up now on the webcam

Hawk
11-04-2015, 01:32 PM
The cable is now done. Chairs must be coming soon. Looking good.

angler
11-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Spoke to the workers doing the cable they said they would have the chairs done by the end of the week. Told me the electrician has a lot of work to do yet but thought they would make it even though they were cutting it close! Now we need mother nature to help.........

winjr
11-05-2015, 06:39 AM
The bull wheel turned on diesel for the first time. Should get a video up on FB today. Load test is scheduled for 11/12.

angler
11-05-2015, 12:48 PM
That's great to hear. Can you make it snow now?

southvillager
11-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Just checked the webcam this morning and I see a few chairs on the new lift. Looks promising.

Benski
11-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Just looked and saw the lift moving, must be working weekends to reach a deadline.

winjr
11-09-2015, 07:35 AM
About 75% of the chairs are hung. They did work over the weekend and got a lot done.

southvillager
11-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Cool. I just checked the webcam, and it looks like all the chairs are on, and it is slowly turning.

Hawk
11-09-2015, 03:59 PM
That is a nice looking chair!

Benski
11-09-2015, 04:24 PM
With foot rests too!!! It appears to have a very short chair spacing. My understanding is it was supposed to be have the capacity of a triple so I was expecting the chair spacing to be similar to summit.

sglatham
11-09-2015, 07:18 PM
I would presume closer spacing and more capacity, hence the conveyor to safely and quickly load people. Otherwise you wouldn't need it.

ThinkSno
11-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Will load testing still happen on the 12th if it's raining?

shadyjay
11-09-2015, 10:30 PM
We assisted with the cable splicing last week... got my photo taken and posted all over SB.com. When I was leaving work this morning, Doppelmayr was installing more chairs.

Benski
11-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Will load testing still happen on the 12th if it's r@#$ing?

Would you want to ride a lift that is unsafe if it rains r@#$s?

winjr
11-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Will load testing still happen on the 12th if it's raining?

All 12 chairs are on and load test is still scheduled for Thursday. Electricians are finishing up and testing.

Dblshot
11-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Lookin' sweet!! Nothing like a shiny new toy, congrats! Hopefully there is enough unloading room up top when the chairs are full...lots of capacity...should really help with the Bravo line.

ThinkSno
11-10-2015, 12:31 PM
All 12 chairs are on and load test is still scheduled for Thursday. Electricians are finishing up and testing. Thanks Win! Hope to see you there!

ThinkSno
11-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Earlier today- start of downloading lift test

ThinkSno
11-12-2015, 12:46 PM
A few more...

ThinkSno
11-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Loading area and new (high) retaining wall

ThinkSno
11-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Loading conveyor

Benski
11-12-2015, 02:21 PM
"Check out the latest Stoke - Snow Start, with almost loaded lifts, fun gun shows and seasonal celebrations."-Sugarbush Facebook page
New lift looks nice. I hope it passed inspection.

teleo
11-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Chair is loaded with barrels now on the web cam.

shadyjay
11-12-2015, 04:35 PM
It's spinning right now on the web cam, at 4:34pm.

winjr
11-13-2015, 07:52 AM
A bit more work today to finalize the load test.

Dblshot
11-16-2015, 11:38 AM
I assume it passed inspection? Good to go?

winjr
11-17-2015, 04:27 AM
It mostly passed but the encoder on the motor was not allowing it to get to full speed so a new one was installed yesterday and another load test is scheduled for today.

skimore
11-18-2015, 04:19 PM
What will be the lay out of the corals for the new chair & Brovo be?

Hawk
11-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Bravo unchanged. New chair similar to Bravo only higher up the hill.

Ride Delaware ?
11-18-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm guessing the lines will be situated "uphill" towards spring fling and snowball so the exit from Gondolier isn't blocked on the Valley House side.

winjr
11-19-2015, 07:20 AM
That is correct. Pararrell to Bravo corral. With snow and grooming it will be more of a plateau

ReefBum
11-21-2015, 10:58 AM
In case folks haven't seen these, here are some pictures I took of the top of the lift this past week.

ReefBum
11-21-2015, 10:59 AM
A couple of more....

Benski
11-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Why is there a 1' gap on the ramp. Looks like its incomplete or is going to need a lot of snow to fill in.

ReefBum
11-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Why is there a 1' gap on the ramp. Looks like its incomplete or is going to need a lot of snow to fill in.Agree. It didn't look complete.

Hawk
11-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Either way I am sure it will be ready. Snow or wood. By the time they open that thing the snowmaking will be 3'deep.

Benski
11-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Just saw the Valley House spinning. Are they still inspecting it? Sad sugarbush got zip today. Snow in binghamton got my hopes up.

winjr
11-24-2015, 07:40 AM
Yes, the final state inspection is today. Load test was completed last week, so this should do it. We have been running it
To work out any bugs.