PDA

View Full Version : New chute?

shipyardcreek
07-24-2015, 12:11 PM
The board is quite so I will start something new. Heard third hand there was a slide at Sugarbush and there is now a new chute. Any truth to this? Anyone have details or pictures? Will it be skiable? A proposed name is Bear Poop Chute.

Hawk
07-24-2015, 02:06 PM
There are already trails names Bear and Poop Chute.

shipyardcreek
07-24-2015, 07:56 PM
This is neither. I ski Greg's Poop Chute when conditions warrant. Is the Bear you are referring to the same as Bear Claw? What I thought was Bear Claw someone told me was actually Super Chute. These runs need signs near the bottom. Bear Poop is allegedly something new. From the name you can guess the location. I am guessing, if this rumor is true, there was a mud slide. Then again, the whole thing could be a joke.

sbskier
07-25-2015, 07:07 AM
There was a slide in the wedding trail area

Hawk
07-27-2015, 08:06 AM
I have not heard of any new slides this year but that is not saying there was not. I will check it out in two weeks when I head up for the music festival at Lareau Farm.

cdskier
07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
These 2 pictures from SB seem to show a slide in the woods of Paradise...

https://www.facebook.com/Sugarbush.VT/photos/pb.191921863383.-2207520000.1438043261./10153473450868384/?type=1
https://www.facebook.com/Sugarbush.VT/photos/pb.191921863383.-2207520000.1438043224./10153502604488384/?type=1

HowieT2
07-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Oh yeah. Happened a couple weeks ago.

Hawk
07-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Yes Bear Claw. That is the correct name given by those who have maintained it. Never heard of super chute. Signs are not necessary. Still have not heard anything on a slide. I spoke to my friends that downhill there every weekend. They are pretty connected.

Plowboy
07-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Happened about 4 weeks ago.

HowieT2
07-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Happened about 4 weeks ago.
I might have to take a little hike and check this out.

HowieT2
07-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Progress

shipyardcreek
07-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Several years ago while skiing what i thought was the lower section of Bear Claw I came upon a group. During a brief conversation they said what we were skiing was actually Super Chute and they knew the person that cut the trail. It does not really matter what any of these runs are called as long as you can find them. I expect most everyone on this board skis this area regularly. Without access to the official guide to off piste skiing at Sugarbush, I sometimes give runs my own names. Hopefully I will have a source this winter who will be able to tell me the official names of these types of runs and perhaps show me a few new ones.

The question now is this slide going to have any adverse affect on access to this area during the coming ski season

Hawk
07-31-2015, 06:30 AM
Ya I have my own names also. Sometimes I use my own names to get a charge out of the long time locals. ;-)
Some of the guys I ski with have been at Sugarbush for 40-50 years. They call it Bear Claw so I just go with that. So I got confirmation on the slide last night. The big rains they have been having have done some damage. Not sure of the impact but I would bet that there is a mess in Paradise woods that will have to be navigated.

HowieT2
07-31-2015, 08:09 AM
Ya I have my own names also. Sometimes I use my own names to get a charge out of the long time locals. ;-)
Some of the guys I ski with have been at Sugarbush for 40-50 years. They call it Bear Claw so I just go with that. So I got confirmation on the slide last night. The big rains they have been having have done some damage. Not sure of the impact but I would bet that there is a mess in Paradise woods that will have to be navigated.
Looks to me from down at the base that it's on the headwall leading into that little meadow area.

HowieT2
07-31-2015, 08:10 AM
Several years ago while skiing what i thought was the lower section of Bear Claw I came upon a group. During a brief conversation they said what we were skiing was actually Super Chute and they knew the person that cut the trail. It does not really matter what any of these runs are called as long as you can find them. I expect most everyone on this board skis this area regularly. Without access to the official guide to off piste skiing at Sugarbush, I sometimes give runs my own names. Hopefully I will have a source this winter who will be able to tell me the official names of these types of runs and perhaps show me a few new ones.

The question now is this slide going to have any adverse affect on access to this area during the coming ski season

I know 'nothing.

Hardbooter
08-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Yup, bear claw and super chutes are the same thing but super chutes was on some of the old maps in the 60's. I think someone figured out that it's not within SB's lease area and removed it from the map. Those old maps are on the internet so they're worth checking out (I don't have time to paste a link.) So I think that area has been super chutes longer than bear claw but I got the feeling that super chutes also included stuff closer to paradise and maybe even the church. Who knows.
As far as the slide goes, someone should go over there and look at it because, in my experience, those things can be really messy. Often there's a lot of downed trees and maybe root balls. Instead of making a cool new route it might just be a big unskiable mess.

cdskier
08-05-2015, 08:55 PM
I couldn't find said map online. I found about a half dozen different maps from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but none with "Super Chutes" labelled... Are you sure this map wasn't a dream? 8)

shipyardcreek
08-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Hardbooter, thanks for the history. As far as the names go everyone was right. A while back I recall a proposal to have official trails in that area. The Forest Service put a kibosh on the idea because of fears of mud slides. In addition to slide debris, is the Forest Service going to block access to this area?

Benski
08-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Hardbooter, thanks for the history. As far as the names go everyone was right. A while back I recall a proposal to have official trails in that area. The Forest Service put a kibosh on the idea because of fears of mud slides. In addition to slide debris, is the Forest Service going to block access to this area?

Block access? Is this even concifered accessible by the forests service. There is know Officials way to access this.

Hardbooter
08-06-2015, 01:52 AM
I couldn't find said map online. I found about a half dozen different maps from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but none with "Super Chutes" labelled... Are you sure this map wasn't a dream? 8)

It’s definitely not a dream. There was a long discussion on the old board before all the content was deleted. I’m still pissed about that. This is a community and that was community history (and I don’t like to repeat myself.)

Anyhow, I wasn’t able to find the maps with super chutes online either. But we talked about it many years back on this forum and then I skied it with people who’d seen it as super chutes on the old map and we talked about it. I’ve got a friend who was part of the discussion who’s a pretty good internet detective. I’ll put him on the case and report back.
In the meantime, those who missed the old discussion should check out these two maps (and the site’s they’re on.)

This first map is from the first year that castlrock opened:

http://www.nelsap.org/skihistory/sugarbush50s.jpg

This next one is from 67-68. Notice the changes since the first map. Also, this has the original birdland that was regrown and then later Egan’s woods was cut in the same place (ish.)

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/maps/viewmap.php?id=500

gostan
08-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Always great to hear from you Alex. Love the SB history lessons and missed our discussions last winter. ��

shipyardcreek
08-07-2015, 02:22 PM
It’s definitely not a dream. There was a long discussion on the old board before all the content was deleted. I’m still pissed about that. This is a community and that was community history (and I don’t like to repeat myself.)

Anyhow, I wasn’t able to find the maps with super chutes online either. But we talked about it many years back on this forum and then I skied it with people who’d seen it as super chutes on the old map and we talked about it. I’ve got a friend who was part of the discussion who’s a pretty good internet detective. I’ll put him on the case and report back.
In the meantime, those who missed the old discussion should check out these two maps (and the site’s they’re on.)

This first map is from the first year that castlrock opened:

http://www.nelsap.org/skihistory/sugarbush50s.jpg

This next one is from 67-68. Notice the changes since the first map. Also, this has the original birdland that was regrown and then later Egan’s woods was cut in the same place (ish.)

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/maps/viewmap.php?id=500

Note the $7.50 lift ticket price. I estimate that is about $52 in today's dollars.

Hawk
08-10-2015, 07:37 AM
I saw the slide from a distance this weekend. It's pretty big. There is certainly going to be some need for cleanup.

I also went to the VT music festival at Lareau Farm. That was awesome but not a lot of people there. I think the $20 price this year scared away a lot of the local folks.

cdskier
08-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Here are a few pics I snapped this weekend. The first was taken from the top of Super Bravo. The other 2 were taken from the base area.

HowieT2
08-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Here are a few pics I snapped this weekend. The first was taken from the top of Super Bravo. The other 2 were taken from the base area.

Good work.
Looks relatively clean. Didn't notice any trees strewn about.

cdskier
08-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Good work.
Looks relatively clean. Didn't notice any trees strewn about.

Looking at the full resolution pics on my computer it looks like at the bottom there could be some down trees in the middle. The top 2/3 or so does look relatively clean from the pics I took though.

Orca
08-11-2015, 05:43 AM
The slide looks like it will make a perfect ski trail. It is in an area that gets a ton of snow, relatively speaking. If the snow can cover the rocks on Rumble, it'll cover that slide just fine.

vonski
08-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Dang the newest image from Google Earth was 5/13 of this year. so not showing up yet.

WWF-VT
08-11-2015, 12:37 PM
I saw the slide from a distance this weekend. It's pretty big. There is certainly going to be some need for cleanup.

I also went to the VT music festival at Lareau Farm. That was awesome but not a lot of people there. I think the $20 price this year scared away a lot of the local folks.

$20 adult admission and $5 to park will keep a lot of people away. IIRC admission used to be a "donation".

Hawk
08-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Yes the admission was a donation in years past. The problem was that everybody showed up and no one donated and they didn't cover the costs. The result was that it was unsustainable. I have no problem paying $20 to see 8 hours of music. I also parked for free because I am not adverse to walking a little bit. If there were not so many freeloaders the event would have stayed a donation. People always take advantage for a good thing and ruin it for everybody else.

WWF-VT
08-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Yes the admission was a donation in years past. The problem was that everybody showed up and no one donated and they didn't cover the costs. The result was that it was unsustainable. I have no problem paying $20 to see 8 hours of music. I also parked for free because I am not adverse to walking a little bit. If there were not so many freeloaders the event would have stayed a donation. People always take advantage for a good thing and ruin it for everybody else.

I don't think that most people go for 8 hours. I think it's more of a drop in for an hour and have a few ($7) beers type of event. I was also up this weekend and did not go. $5 admission would be reasonable, $20 is too much. I spoke with several people that stayed away at $20 and the few people that I do know that went did say that there were significantly fewer people than in past years.

Hawk
08-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Yes significantly less. I would say about 1/2 less. But again. $20 was well worth it. I have gone to similar events in MA, NY and NH and spent $35-$45. The music was great, the beer was great, good food options and lots of my friends went. Where can you go and get that for $5? If all those cheap a$$ people didn't F it up last year and coughed up some cash we wouldn't even be talking now.

cdskier
08-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Yes significantly less. I would say about 1/2 less. But again. $20 was well worth it. I have gone to similar events in MA, NY and NH and spent $35-$45. The music was great, the beer was great, good food options and lots of my friends went. Where can you go and get that for $5? If all those cheap a$$ people didn't F it up last year and coughed up some cash we wouldn't even be talking now.

I was up in the valley this weekend, but didn't go. I didn't go any other years either, but no matter what $20 sounds completely reasonable to me. I made my plans to go up there before I even knew this event was going on the same weekend I was going to be up there.

Ride Delaware ?
08-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Chute looks much larger than I was expecting. Will it be difficult to get into/out of? Are the trees tight there?

Hawk
08-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Tough to say until someone actually hikes up there and looks at it. I am sure we will see pics soon. The trees are somewhat tight at the top of that area but not so much at the bottom.

Chute looks much larger than I was expecting. Will it be difficult to get into/out of? Are the trees tight there?

HowieT2
09-05-2015, 06:30 PM
This afternoon.

Dblshot
09-05-2015, 10:47 PM
And the trees are starting to change up top...

sglatham
10-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Any insight as to whether the new chute is clear of debris, especially toward the bottom?

Hawk
10-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Reports are that it is a mess. I have not seen it first hand.