PDA

View Full Version : Green Mountain Power asking to Curtail consumption?

brave fellow
03-26-2015, 07:31 AM
What was this all about in the morning snow report?

Lifts will start opening at 10:15 AM this morning, as Green Mountain Power has asked Sugarbush to curtail electric power usage from 7AM to 10AM. Super Bravo, Gate House and Green Mountain Express will be the first lifts to open. Super Bravo and GMX will run until 5:00 PM today.

Hawk
03-26-2015, 08:21 AM
They must be doing a repair or maintenance and need to shut down pieces of the network.

HowieT2
03-26-2015, 08:44 AM
I heard the gerbils they have running the generators went on strike.

shadyjay
03-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Happens quite a bit during snowmaking season, especially on those really cold days when usage is high. That's why sometimes early in January it'll be cold but the guns will be offline. We did have a curtailment day a few years back and had to run some lifts on diesel during the 10-2 timeframe. Today, we just had to keep everything off until after 10am.

brave fellow
03-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Happens quite a bit during snowmaking season, especially on those really cold days when usage is high. That's why sometimes early in January it'll be cold but the guns will be offline. We did have a curtailment day a few years back and had to run some lifts on diesel during the 10-2 timeframe. Today, we just had to keep everything off until after 10am.

Ok. I don't recall seeing this in past reports so I was curious. Thanks for the extra info!

win
04-02-2015, 10:09 AM
They have a mandatory monthly curtailment and has to be done at peak times. In the winter that is usually after 5pm and requires us to pull down snowmaking for a few hours. Last spring it was in the afternoon but this year peak was determined to be in the AM.