PDA

View Full Version : The Start of the 14' - 15' Season

Hawk
10-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Heading up tonight for the Community Weekend festivities. MTB, Wood Delivery, Hiking and general good times on tap. This will be my first Community weekend in a few years due to another event that was in conflict this weekend. It will be good to see all the unusual suspects. I wonder what Win will have up his sleeve for surprises in his presentation? Who knows. Anyway I am totally looking forward to a long weekend away from my daily grind. And ready for snow!

HowieT2
10-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Let me know how that new turkey tumble trail is. Looks sweet. Like a groomer. Enjoy. I might make it up next weekend but don't know yet.

Ride Delaware ?
10-10-2014, 12:18 AM
They announced the new development "Gadd Brook" beside Rice Brook today. 93 units. I'll be interested to see the scope of this when permitting is finalized later this year.

pinnoke
10-10-2014, 07:17 AM
They announced the new development "Gadd Brook" beside Rice Brook today. 93 units. I'll be interested to see the scope of this when permitting is finalized later this year.

The 93 units is the total of all LP Village plan, which encompasses the completed Rice Brook, and more to come. We'll soon learn how many Gadd Brook adds.

Also on the 'What's New' tab at sugarbush.com is an announcement of management changes...hopefully all will produce positive results. Won't be long, now!

HowieT2
10-10-2014, 08:16 AM
wonder what Gadd brook will include in addition to the residences. welcome news. hopefully a new valley house quad wont be far behind.

Ride Delaware ?
10-10-2014, 08:38 AM
I was really hoping for some more retail on the corner to add some life/eating options to the area. Guess the $ just aren't there.

HowieT2
10-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I was really hoping for some more retail on the corner to add some life/eating options to the area. Guess the $ just aren't there.

how do you know that there isnt some retail included???

Ride Delaware ?
10-10-2014, 11:22 AM
how do you know that there isnt some retail included???
In the initial plan it was, but this just refers to the residential units. I'm still hoping its included in the final plans, but it wasn't referenced here.

sglatham
10-10-2014, 01:30 PM
I assume that Win must know that if the lifts have issues similar to last year, and/or he doesn't crank out the snow, that he would hear a lot of flack for building condo's when lifts/snow making is still a big issue. So I have to assume he is confident the lift issues have been dealt with, and the new guns will keep this forum (relatively) quiet this winter. Otherwise, watch out!

But when I look at the base development in isolation ( and not vs mountain improvements) I have been happily surprised and think it has really added to the Sugarbush experience.

Hawk
10-10-2014, 05:52 PM
They also announced promotions including a new lift maintenance manager with some experience is sounds. I do not know anything about him but maybe this means better lift ops.

Tin Woodsman
10-10-2014, 05:52 PM
I guess the question for me is whether Gadd Brook incorporate that Building E from the original plans that contained retail and perhaps food service on the ground floor with residential on top.

Hawk - I nominate you as Community Day beat reporter. Would love to get a run down of the details.

Ride Delaware ?
10-10-2014, 07:03 PM
I guess the question for me is whether Gadd Brook incorporate that Building E from the original plans that contained retail and perhaps food service on the ground floor with residential on top.

Hawk - I nominate you as Community Day beat reporter. Would love to get a run down of the details.
Also my question Tree. Thank you for being more detailed.

HowieT2
10-11-2014, 07:09 AM
They gotta be showing plans or renderings at community day. Hawk, you're our man.

Hawk
10-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Busy weekend. There was lots of info on many different fronts. The new push on the Marketing front is Sugarbush Community. #sbcommunity There was a whole segment on local business and partners with the common thread that we are one big community that is the Mad River Valley.

Big push on the lift maintenance front that was rolled out by Mr. Hammond with new processors for SB and GH and new electronics an/or diagnostics on many lifts. I believe they said that Northlinx gets a new motor or a rebuild. Snowmaking upgrades have already been documented. New 10" main on Spring Fling and Snow Ball. 350 new Ratnik Guns. They also did a bunch of maintenance on Pumps and valves to shore up the system. So they put all new guns on Upper and Lower organgrinder, Ripchord, Sringfling, snowball and others over at GH. I guess the big improvement will be over at Ellen with a ton of new guns and pump and valve maintenance. I guess they have not received many of the new guns so far except for the inverness slope. Now they have all new guns on most major runs and promised that it would make a huge difference on the speed of opening slopes and quality of snow.

Gerry Nooney spoke about food services and pushed the local products that SB uses and the quality of the products. They also changed coffee vendors from Green Mountain roasters to ......I can't remember the name. ;-) They are from Southern VT. He also pushed the Allyn's Lodge dine and ski dinners.

As we have heard the Gadd Brook development is gong forward next year, if sales are good. It will be built next to the Rice Brook and at the same elevation(not down low). Looks like a good size building. There are renderings. Win spoke about removing the culvert and making the brook exposed between the two buildings all the way down to the road. It will be a architectural detail and a re-gen zone. There was no talk about the relocation of the VC Chair or if there was going to be retail or food in this next building. I would bet they have to relocate the lift because of the position of the new building.

He briefly spoke about the EB-5 situation Sugarbush VS Jay. He really didn't comment on Jays situation but said that Sugarbush will Pay the EB-5 investors with the sales of the new units. Rice Brook paid off about 10 of the 40 investors and future sales will go against that debt.

In the works: If we have a strong season this year they will move forward with the VH quad. They are currently working on the permits. He also mentioned the possibility of a new building on the flat at the top of GH. This will take the load off the GH lodge and also gives them a new venue for Weddings.

That's all I can remember for now.

sglatham
10-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Good info. Hope the lift work pays off! I am sure the new guns will.

With regard to Gadd Brook. The original base plans show that Building E would require a relocation of the Village Double. So my guess is it will be building B.

HowieT2
10-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a mid mtn lodge in the area of gatehouse, Slidebrook and north Lynx. That would be great. Don't expect that for years.

HowieT2
10-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Good info. Hope the lift work pays off! I am sure the new guns will.

With regard to Gadd Brook. The original base plans show that Building E would require a relocation of the Village Double. So my guess is it will be building B.

Do u have a link to those plans? What I looked at, didn't appear to have anything on the same elevation as rice brook.

pinnoke
10-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Do u have a link to those plans? What I looked at, didn't appear to have anything on the same elevation as rice brook.

I also believe that the next new building (Gadd Brook) will be lower than Rice Brook, but the plans did suggest nice views towards the mountain. If I recall, the future building(s) after Gadd Brook will be on the 'other' side of what is now the culvert ... so that opening that up creates a more attractive natural/physical feature. Perhaps this isn't accomplished until those future plans are enacted. Gadd Brook will offer an add'l 15 units, with emphasis on the 3 and 4 BR, rather than the 2BR (one of which is the sole remaining unit available in Rice Brook).

The EB-5 takeaway that I left with is that the remaining investors (30 each @ $500,000) will receive their money back IF/when the full LP Village plan is completed. But, good to know that 25% of original 40 have been reimbursed. Not sure why/who gets paid first, in full, rather than split over time in equal increments. Not my business, but things do indeed seem to be progressing as intended. Seems more sound and manageable than the crazy numbers Jay is struggling with.

Other misc. info...one more new grooming machine added; emphasis on increasing mid-week skier/rider traffic on and off slopes; 1,000 Boomer passes already sold; I think name of new coffee provider from White River Junction is Mountain Grove. New beginner/intermediate mt. bike trails planned for next year. And, some of the current mt. bike trails are supposed to show up on our winter trail map this coming season.

Plenty to be excited about!!

Hawk
10-12-2014, 07:59 PM
I just glanced at the rendering. I am not sure of the exact position. I thought it was up high and on the other side of the brook. The renderings are not on line. If you can find them post them.

HowieT2
10-12-2014, 09:00 PM
I also believe that the next new building (Gadd Brook) will be lower than Rice Brook, but the plans did suggest nice views towards the mountain. If I recall, the future building(s) after Gadd Brook will be on the 'other' side of what is now the culvert ... so that opening that up creates a more attractive natural/physical feature. Perhaps this isn't accomplished until those future plans are enacted. Gadd Brook will offer an add'l 15 units, with emphasis on the 3 and 4 BR, rather than the 2BR (one of which is the sole remaining unit available in Rice Brook).

The EB-5 takeaway that I left with is that the remaining investors (30 each @ $500,000) will receive their money back IF/when the full LP Village plan is completed. But, good to know that 25% of original 40 have been reimbursed. Not sure why/who gets paid first, in full, rather than split over time in equal increments. Not my business, but things do indeed seem to be progressing as intended. Seems more sound and manageable than the crazy numbers Jay is struggling with.

Other misc. info...one more new grooming machine added; emphasis on increasing mid-week skier/rider traffic on and off slopes; 1,000 Boomer passes already sold; I think name of new coffee provider from White River Junction is Mountain Grove. New beginner/intermediate mt. bike trails planned for next year. And, some of the current mt. bike trails are supposed to show up on our winter trail map this coming season.

Plenty to be excited about!!

I think the beginner mtn bike trails are huge. They are just what is needed to take the sport from a niche to more mainstream. As an anology, how popular would skiing be if all the trails were like rumble. Great for the hardcore fans, but completely worthless for 99% of the vacationing public. Less gnar and more smooth flow trails so anyone who can ride a bike can enjoy it.

I think gadd brook would be the building between the sb village parking lot and the culvert. The "e" building looks big and appears to be where the current base of the valley double is. I assume that's the building that would include retail.

http://www.warrenvt.org/depts/drb/2011/Submittals/2011-15-SD.PUD.%20Preliminary%20Plan.PRD%20Review.Summit.V entures.NE.LLC%20PhaseII.VillageRd.250011.250012/SubdivisionPlans/Final%20-%20Phase%202%20Subdivision%20Survey%202012_09_06.p df

pinnoke
10-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I think the beginner mtn bike trails are huge. They are just what is needed to take the sport from a niche to more mainstream. As an anology, how popular would skiing be if all the trails were like rumble. Great for the hardcore fans, but completely worthless for 99% of the vacationing public. Less gnar and more smooth flow trails so anyone who can ride a bike can enjoy it.

I think gadd brook would be the building between the sb village parking lot and the culvert. The "e" building looks big and appears to be where the current base of the valley double is. I assume that's the building that would include retail.

http://www.warrenvt.org/depts/drb/2011/Submittals/2011-15-SD.PUD.%20Preliminary%20Plan.PRD%20Review.Summit.V entures.NE.LLC%20PhaseII.VillageRd.250011.250012/SubdivisionPlans/Final%20-%20Phase%202%20Subdivision%20Survey%202012_09_06.p df

Not the full image Win presented Saturday, but for a glimpse, try this:

http://www.sugarbush.com/vermont-real-estate/sugarbushliving/blog

Ride Delaware ?
10-13-2014, 02:13 AM
If they haven't submitted any further site revisions and this is still the site plan on file, then I would assume it's the plan they are operating off of. There will be slight revisions, but I would guess it's mostly what they will build. Should be interesting to see it develop.

ThinkSno
10-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Has anyone heard mention of a new conference center to be built?

Someone mentioned it this weekend, but I cannot remember who or where..... (unless I was just hearing things)

Ride Delaware ?
10-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Has anyone heard mention of a new conference center to be built?

Someone mentioned it this weekend, but I cannot remember who or where..... (unless I was just hearing things)
A conference center would really help fill the place up in the off season, but I can't think of anywhere logical to put it... Definitely hadn't heard this.

ThinkSno
10-13-2014, 10:22 AM
A conference center would really help fill the place up in the off season, but I can't think of anywhere logical to put it... Definitely hadn't heard this.

One of the upper parking lots is what I think I heard, now that the old Warren House is gone, and that side is being cleared for more parking. Between the Schoolhouse and what is going to be the Gadd Brook development.

Ride Delaware ?
10-13-2014, 10:30 AM
One of the upper parking lots is what I think I heard, now that the old Warren House is gone, and that side is being cleared for more parking. Between the Schoolhouse and what is going to be the Gadd Brook development.
Don't all those parking lots eventually become part of the Gadd Brook development?

ThinkSno
10-13-2014, 12:24 PM
The plan shows a number of new buildings. Buildings E and D are in those in question.

Ride Delaware ?
10-13-2014, 02:09 PM
The plan shows a number of new buildings. Buildings E and D are in those in question.
So when you say upper parking lots, are you talking about those in front of Clay Brook?

Hawk
10-14-2014, 06:57 AM

Win spoke specifically about pushing conferences and said that the new Marketing manager/BD guy was going to specifically target using and filling the Gate House as well as rooms in the School house for that specific purpose. They did not mention a new conference center just using the facilities they have.

Hawk
10-14-2014, 07:06 AM
The site plan that Howie posted above was modified for the Rice Brook Permits. It should be the latest and current version until they publish the Gadd Brook version. It is kind of weird that they posted the announcement on the SB web site with no renderings or plans. The rendering that Win put up on the screen is new. I am guessing that they are working on the final plans with the Architects and do not want to release the exact details until they get approvals from Warren.

So to answer RD's question, yes all of the dirt parking lots and open space from the Farm House all the way over to the road up to the Rice Brook Development will be new buildings, walkways and some parking for the condo's only. When they are done the new parking lot that was built and paved for the Claybrook will remain and also the dirt lots going down to the snowmaking Barn.

Hawk
10-14-2014, 07:09 AM

I think the new Gadd Brook building is Building E. Not totally sure but that looks like the shape I saw on the renderings.

HowieT2
10-14-2014, 08:36 AM
I think the new Gadd Brook building is Building E. Not totally sure but that looks like the shape I saw on the renderings.

Buildings B2 and B3 might be a similar size, so maybe its that. either way, curious to see the renderings. same architects as rice brook. personally, as much as I like claybrook, gatehouse, farmhouse and schoolhouse, architecturally, I'm not a fan of the way rice brook looks. Its kind of disjointed to me. Maybe the new building will bring it all together.

also, if its building "E", there is a bridge that is in the plans adjacent to it. One would think that would have been mentioned also, but maybe they are waiting to build that bridge until after the building is done. either way, imho, that bridge should be of some architectural significance. like a signature element to the design. but wtf do I know about design.

HowieT2
10-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Hawk, maybe you can help me out here. The way I look at those plans, building E sits where the base of the village double is now, no??? not sure.

ThinkSno
10-14-2014, 09:08 AM
....architecturally, I'm not a fan of the way rice brook looks. Its kind of disjointed to me. Maybe the new building will bring it all together.

Lets hope so, because Rice Brook right now is butt-ugly.

sglatham
10-14-2014, 09:33 AM
The plans I have seen - the original master plan (someone provided a link above) - Building E would require a relo of Village Double. I have not heard plans to do so, and I am sure that any "relo" will be a replacement. So I highly doubt its building E. I'd say B.

HowieT2
10-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Lets hope so, because Rice Brook right now is butt-ugly.

that's one way to say it. I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic.

HowieT2
10-14-2014, 09:41 AM
The plans I have seen - the original master plan (someone provided a link above) - Building E would require a relo of Village Double. I have not heard plans to do so, and I am sure that any "relo" will be a replacement. So I highly doubt its building E. I'd say B.

That's what I think too.

as for the lift relocation, I heard they were leaning toward replacing it with a triple since its predominantly used for beginner lessons, and the triple would allow each coach to take 2 kids up with them.

sglatham
10-15-2014, 09:53 AM
I would think the new Village would be at least a Triple if not a Quad. Besides wanting to take more students with each instructor, that lift runs very slow due to the lack of experience of its customers. Add to that more traffic from Rice Brook, Gadd Brook etc and the lift needs more capacity. If Valley House gets built next summer, and assuming all else goes well, I would think they have replace Village the next summer.

Hawk
10-16-2014, 06:17 AM
It's Building B. I stand corrected.

Hawk
10-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Snow looked nice on the hill. Getting closer.

Hawk
10-21-2014, 08:23 AM
They fired up the guns this morning. Sounds like they are blowing out the mice.

sglatham
10-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Overall pattern not looking good for the next couple of weeks. We need a big middle of Nov turn of the weather leading into Thanksgiving!

HowieT2
10-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Overall pattern not looking good for the next couple of weeks. We need a big middle of Nov turn of the weather leading into Thanksgiving!

I'm fine with that. lets get all the warmth over with now.

ThinkSno
10-22-2014, 07:20 AM
From the 2014-15 Farmers Almanac:

Winter will be much colder than normal, with near-normal precipitation and below-normal snowfall. The coldest periods will be in mid- and late December, early and mid-January, and mid- to late February. The snowiest periods will be in mid- to late November, mid- and late December, and early to mid-March.

jwt
10-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Winter will be much colder than normal, with near-normal precipitation and below-normal snowfall. The coldest periods will be in mid- and late December, early and mid-January, and mid- to late February. The snowiest periods will be in mid- to late November, mid- and late December, and early to mid-March.

Gee, that doesn't bode well for Jan/Feb - most of the( us) die-hards will benefit from March/Nov - but for the ski business, outside of a good Christmas week, that doesn't look promising.

Since the northeast lacks moisture - been a dry season here in eastern NE - I'm hoping the balance comes in the form of crystals in the colder months as stated in the FA above. I believe they are supposed to be in general 80% accurate ( unless that is the Old Farmers Almanac performance?) but let's look at this April 1st and see. Meantime, bring on the cold and snow and maybe those new guns will have an early test ( late Dec/Jan/Feb) They shut them down after mid Feb anyway.

The one invoice our house loves to be higher is the snow removal one!

Almost time to rip.

jwt
10-23-2014, 11:11 AM

the 'Old' looks like the FA in local forecast anyway - closest i could find was Randolph http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/VT/Randolph

Hawk
10-23-2014, 12:49 PM
They say it will be colder than normal with near normal precip. How can we have below normal snowfall with colder than normal temps and normal precip????? As usual it make no sense.

Orca
11-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Envy for western, high-altitude, early snow accumulation --

This is from a web cam on 10/30/2014. Anyone recognize the location?

Just thought this might get folks jonesing for the season. :cool:

Likely opening day in November and it is November today!

gostan
11-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Soon. It will be nice to see some deeper snow.

gostan
11-02-2014, 12:33 PM
http://www.wcax.com/story/27176771/destination-recreation-ski-season-preparations#.VFZpH0kSep4.mailto

This was posted by Trailboss over at Alpine Zone. It shows how hard Mountain Ops at any ski area work to get the MT. Open. And gets me just a little bit more stoked for the 14-15 ski season.

Orca
11-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Fluffy WCAX piece on the start of snowmaking at SB. Great to see some vid of the place.

http://www.wcax.com/story/27187616/ski-areas-gear-up-for-opening-day

southvillager
11-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Sunday River is open. http://www.sundayriver.com/winter/mountain-report

cmoore
11-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Orca
11-07-2014, 09:55 PM
SB webcams are effed up and have been for several days. Seem like fixing the problem isn't much of a priority. Bit of a disappointment though not a surprise. :{

ducky
11-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Their Facebook posts said 6" at Allyn's by lunchtime yesterday, more up top. They are fairly current on FB with snow reporting.

shadyjay
11-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Their Facebook posts said 6" at Allyn's by lunchtime yesterday, more up top. They are fairly current on FB with snow reporting.

6" at Allyn's seems about right. There were some good drifts up on Jester too, some spots windblown, other spots almost to my knees. Definitely felt like and looked like winter up there yesterday!

We lit up Jester around 4pm yesterday, my first lightup of the season.

Benski
11-08-2014, 12:13 PM
6" at Allyn's seems about right. There were some good drifts up on Jester too, some spots windblown, other spots almost to my knees. Definitely felt like and looked like winter up there yesterday!

We lit up Jester around 4pm yesterday, my first lightup of the season.

Are you guys close to moving to another trail?

shadyjay
11-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Are you guys close to moving to another trail?

If temps keep up over the weekend, it's possible we could move on. But keep in mind a lot of what was made last weekend melted in the warm temps and rain. We have only run last Saturday through Monday morning, and lit up again yesterday afternoon. Some consistent cold temps would help a lot, but I think we'll be out of it again beginning of the week due to temps.

Dblshot
11-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Where are all the 350 new snow guns? Every picture they have publicized show the old Ratnick "blue" guns. I have a feeling the new guns are not very good at marginal temps.... Where are all the SR-7's? Only Jester has been lit up? Plodding their way to the 22nd. At least expectations are set, hopefully they are met.

Hawk
11-10-2014, 04:37 PM
I definitely saw all new guns on Organgrinder, Spring Fling, Snowball and I think Ripchord I think Ellen has a ton of new guns but I have not been there.

Benski
11-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Where are all the 350 new snow guns? Every picture they have publicized show the old Ratnick "blue" guns. I have a feeling the new guns are not very good at marginal temps.... Where are all the SR-7's? Only Jester has been lit up? Plodding their way to the 22nd. At least expectations are set, hopefully they are met.

The ratnicks are the large brown tower guns although i think there are exceptions.

Benski
11-10-2014, 05:28 PM
OG and Spring fling were new last year.

shadyjay
11-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Last year, new towers were put up on OG, Spring Fling, and Steins.
For this season, at LP, new towers on Snowball, Lower Snowball (I think, haven't been that way yet), Racer's, Downspout, Ripcord down to Paradise Ext, Slowpoke, and I think Lower OG.
At ME, new towers on Elbow, Cruiser, Which Way, Northstar, and I think, some of Rim Run.

Towers don't work well on trails with lift towers in the middle. That's why Lower Ripcord didn't get them (since the HG liftline follows the middle of the trail down low), neither did Hot Shot or Birdland. Not sure about Murphy's - haven't ventured down there yet, but IIRC it had some older towers. So the older, but reliable (and less efficient) "land guns" will remain in place on trails like Jester, Coffee Run, Lower Downspout, VH Traverse, and the aforementioned 'lift line" trails.

Hawk
11-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Ok Shady.....so Crank em up! Temps dropping soon. You guys hit it hard and we will see you next week. Good luck.

Ride Delaware ?
11-12-2014, 11:42 PM
SR-7s also throw the snow much farther on a wide trail like Ripcord. I'm sure it will be another combo effort.

Looks like temps will be good at elevation starting tonight and for the next couple days. I'm coming up Sunday to hit K-Mart.

cmoore
11-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Plowboy
11-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Rim Run @ ME is fired up too!!

shadyjay
11-13-2014, 11:01 AM

That would be my crew's handiwork. Not just Jester and Allyns, but also Downspout halfway down to Heaven's Gate. Temps didn't get too low last night, but we do have some really good temps forecasted for the next week.

HowieT2
11-13-2014, 07:39 PM
What's it doing up there? Looks like some pretty decent snow on the radar.

Plowboy
11-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Snowing

HowieT2
11-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Snowing

Epic.

Gotta start somewhere.

sglatham
11-14-2014, 10:45 AM
When will the guns come down to the base?

vonski
11-14-2014, 11:41 AM
when the temps are marginal enough for the new snow guns. My guess is Monday!

shadyjay
11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Heard from another crew that they have begun working below HG. Still a lot of ground to cover between now and then.

Tin Woodsman
11-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Heard from another crew that they have begun working below HG. Still a lot of ground to cover between now and then.

Any early impressions of the new guns and infrastructure improvements?

Ride Delaware ?
11-14-2014, 11:27 PM
With the temps on the horizon, I have 0 doubt that they will have a t2b opening.

gostan
11-15-2014, 06:37 AM
It is cold enough for them to blow snow at the base.

HowieT2
11-15-2014, 06:39 AM
It is cold enough for them to blow snow at the base.

U beat me to it. Welcome sight.

gostan
11-15-2014, 07:08 AM
U beat me to it. Welcome sight. For sure. TtoB next week and I only have one week to get back in shape.

Ride Delaware ?
11-15-2014, 01:12 PM
It's definitely an encouraging sign. Temps next week look prime, so I would expect t2b for sure.

Orca
11-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Sunday River and Killington are skiing t2b. Some of the pics and webcams look pretty good. Gets one itchy for turns. For several reasons, there is a certain amount of envy watching the K1 gondola running on their webcam.

Aside from tomorrow, the temps look great for snowmaking in the coming week.

HowieT2
11-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Hiked up to the top of north Lynx this morning. Nice up there. Cold windy and snowing. About 3-4" otg above 2200'. I'm ready to make some turns.

Hawk
11-17-2014, 09:12 AM
You went all the way up there and didn't go skiing? What's wrong with you? LOL

Sunday river had 2 lifts and 3 top to bottom runs on about 7 trails as best as I can tell. Conditions were great and my legs are crushed. A true show of fire power. They were running 3 loops with 6 total trails going at once. They will have 20 trails open by next weekend. Amazing.

See you at Sugarbush Next weekend?

HowieT2
11-17-2014, 10:43 AM
You went all the way up there and didn't go skiing? What's wrong with you? LOL

Sunday river had 2 lifts and 3 top to bottom runs on about 7 trails as best as I can tell. Conditions were great and my legs are crushed. A true show of fire power. They were running 3 loops with 6 total trails going at once. They will have 20 trails open by next weekend. Amazing.

See you at Sugarbush Next weekend?

I had other things to take care of up there, which I can tell you about next weekend.

jwt
11-18-2014, 06:06 AM
Sunday River and Killington are skiing t2b. Some of the pics and webcams look pretty good. Gets one itchy for turns. For several reasons, there is a certain amount of envy watching the K1 gondola running on their webcam.

Aside from tomorrow, the temps look great for snowmaking in the coming week.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.16022186829274&lon=-72.92947769165039#.VGso5cn1a2U

Hawk
11-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Looks good. Cold Temps and elevation snow for the next couple of days. I hope they get a good base down as next week looks warm.

ahm
11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Yep, highs in the upper 40s on Monday with a potential of rain. NTL this week looks like some good snow up high. My guess is some pretty good early season skiing can be had up top on Thursday especially after the wind drifts it around on Wed night.

Hawk
11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
You still in ME AHM? I didn't see you this last weekend. Good to be on snow. Thinking about a little skin this weekend in VT. Rumor has it that by the weekend there should be some good upslope piling up above 3000'.

ahm
11-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Yep, still in ME. I did ski last week on Thurs, but needed to do other stuff on the weekend to prep for what is going to be a long winter with a lot of skiing and Avi course teaching (8 courses this winter overall in NH, CO and Chic Chocs). I think the skins are the ticket in VT for the weekend. You know where to go so it should be pretty good. More later.

sglatham
11-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Any idea of terrain offering this weekend?

Hawk
11-19-2014, 07:30 AM
I would bet it will be (2) lifts, Bravo and Heavens Gate with Upper Jester down to Downspout and then Lower Downspout to Coffee run at the bottom. I am not sure if they blew Upper Organgrinder but that is something that they have done in the past. Report is that they are good on the lower mountain so there will be no down loading. This would be the typical start sans the downloading.

HowieT2
11-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Snow blowing and the super bravo turning on the webcam this morning. We are so close.

random_ski_guy
11-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Looks like they haven't been blowing on grinder. It will be kind of shocking if with this remarkable batch of cold weather they can't get T2B on jester/downspout/lower jester/coffee run and grinder open.

sglatham
11-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Web site says one TTB run down for weekend. So its Jester/DS/Coffee. Maybe they surprise and get OG open but they would need to start blasting soon. Looks like guns will be off on Saturday with a few days of warmth thereafter. Hopefully the cold comes back leading into Thanksgiving.

Hawk
11-19-2014, 12:22 PM
They say Bravo will Run and they will confirm other lifts. What does that mean? I hope they are not having issues with HG again.

Also they are charging $67 a day for one way down. Sunday river was $35 for 3 ways down. Killington is $54 but they have the 2 for 1 deal going. Doesn't impact me as I have a pass but I would imagine no one will buy tickets.

Dblshot
11-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Looking at cold summit temps the next few days, they could really make a run at OG with the new guns. With the temps, accumulated natural snow, 36 hours should be enough to get it open. The issue is Lower DS, Lower Jester, Coffee Run is a long piece of real estate and takes a lot of guns. I just question the use of the new guns. More efficient guns means more can run and they are built for cold temps. I hope they make a go of it.

Tin Woodsman
11-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Looking at cold summit temps the next few days, they could really make a run at OG with the new guns. With the temps, accumulated natural snow, 36 hours should be enough to get it open. The issue is Lower DS, Lower Jester, Coffee Run is a long piece of real estate and takes a lot of guns. I just question the use of the new guns. More efficient guns means more can run and they are built for cold temps. I hope they make a go of it.

Hence my thus-far unanswered question to ShadyJay re: performance of the new guns and related infrastructure. Not exactly seeing any step change improvement thus far.

gostan
11-20-2014, 06:19 AM
The snowmaking is getting more than reasonable assistance for opening weekend from good old Mother Nature.

Today A slight chance of snow showers before 10am, then a slight chance of snow showers after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 22. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a southwest wind 27 to 32 mph decreasing to 21 to 26 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight Snow showers likely, mainly after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -9. Breezy, with a west wind 21 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday Snow showers likely, mainly before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -13. Breezy, with a west wind 21 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 6. Wind chill values as low as -13. Breezy, with a west wind 14 to 24 mph.

Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. Breezy, with a southwest wind 14 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph.

Ride Delaware ?
11-21-2014, 12:35 AM
Heaven's Gate will not run according to today's update on the snow report. Lower mountain only.

HowieT2
11-21-2014, 12:18 PM
anyone care to share how much snow fell this morning????

Zeke
11-21-2014, 12:40 PM
anyone care to share how much snow fell this morning????

According to their FB 8", but "some might be from yesterday".

HowieT2
11-21-2014, 12:59 PM
According to their FB 8", but "some might be from yesterday".

Awesome. Heard a similar report from Stowe.

Treeskier
11-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Interesting observation. I skied on Saturday and had a fine day. But was very surprised to see to big ice patches. One on upper Domino and the second on lower coffee run. With all the new technology you would think there would be none of that. I went to Killington yesterday. Ticket prices where $4.00 less/day and 20 times more open ski-able terrain. And no ice any where. I will say they only had 1 bump run so as an expert with lower Organgrinder open with bumps that helped to even the playing field.