PDA

View Full Version : Re: Sweet Spring

HowieT2
03-17-2014, 02:42 PM
I just had 4 days of great skiing and thought I'd start a new thread, because the negativity in the other one is bumming me out and frankly, I dont care to participate (if I want aggravation, I have a job for that, thank you). Feel free to complain over there, but lets keep this positive. I took some video thursday which I'll post tonight. Video wasnt the only souvenir I came home with. The vicious winds on thursday gave me a bit of wind burn or perhaps frostbite and now the skin on my nose is peeling off. Well worth it, though. and it looks like winter isnt going anywhere. Maybe we get lucky and get more snow on saturday.

Happy st. patty's day!

gostan
03-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Howie

Thank you so much. I have had to stop going to the other thread.

I was finally able to make my first trip this season to SB and Club-Taski this past Friday. If somebody had told me two weeks ago that I would be skiing at all this season, I would have advised you that I had a better chance of picking all of the NCAA BB tournament winners and collecting a Billion Dollar check from Warren Buffet. I still have a big grin on my face from being able to get out for five runs on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Our winter sport of choice is a great one and we should all enjoy it while we can and while it is here. The snow conditions on Saturday in particular were some of the best. The outlook for spring is looking good and I plan on coming back up this weekend to partake again and try to catch up a bit. Skiing thru April, hopefully thru May 4 is a good thing.

HowieT2
03-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Howie

Thank you so much. I have had to stop going to the other thread.

I was finally able to make my first trip this season to SB and Club-Taski this past Friday. If somebody had told me two weeks ago that I would be skiing at all this season, I would have advised you that I had a better chance of picking all of the NCAA BB tournament winners and collecting a Billion Dollar check from Warren Buffet. I still have a big grin on my face from being able to get out for five runs on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. Our winter sport of choice is a great one and we should all enjoy it while we can and while it is here. The snow conditions on Saturday in particular were some of the best. The outlook for spring is looking good and I plan on coming back up this weekend to partake again and try to catch up a bit. Skiing thru April, hopefully thru May 4 is a good thing.

Great to hear, Stan. Ullr should bless us with a monumental spring in your honor.

Here is a video from my first run Thursday. It was quite windy to say the least.

http://youtu.be/wRDj6d01YJw

HowieT2
03-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Slidebrook video from Sunday afternoon.

http://youtu.be/lAsctbRjDu0

volklmantras
03-17-2014, 09:27 PM
True dat on the negativity - thank you for starting a positive vibes post!!

Such a crazy end of the week last week - great snow on Thurs with cold temps and wind, Fri was great too - and then Saturday?! 40's but the snow was soft and the mountain on both sides North/South are in great shape!! It's been great to get onto my favorite runs with plenty o snow!!!

Possible refresh this coming Wend/Thurs - looking forward to the hopeful warmer days of spring skiing ahead!!

gostan
03-18-2014, 12:25 AM
http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/2014/03/coldest-march-in-recent-memory-set-for.html

Hawk
03-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Slidebrook video from Sunday afternoon.

http://youtu.be/lAsctbRjDu0

Nice Howie. I saw you guys heading that way Sunday. What kind of camera are you running?

MorningWoods
03-18-2014, 07:51 AM
I just had 4 days of great skiing and thought I'd start a new thread, because the negativity in the other one is bumming me out and frankly, I dont care to participate (if I want aggravation, I have a job for that, thank you). Feel free to complain over there, but lets keep this positive. I took some video thursday which I'll post tonight. Video wasnt the only souvenir I came home with. The vicious winds on thursday gave me a bit of wind burn or perhaps frostbite and now the skin on my nose is peeling off. Well worth it, though. and it looks like winter isnt going anywhere. Maybe we get lucky and get more snow on saturday.

Happy st. patty's day!

Good idea. Question for the masses. My inlaws just got me a new go pro 3+. Where do you guys mount this thing? I see a lot of guys with it on top but I was thinking, there is a very good chance of the thing getting ripped off by a tree branch. In laws gave me a helmet front mount but haven't seen anyone wearing it there. Any thoughts on the chest strap? Looking forward to getting some good footage this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HowieT2
03-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Good idea. Question for the masses. My inlaws just got me a new go pro 3+. Where do you guys mount this thing? I see a lot of guys with it on top but I was thinking, there is a very good chance of the thing getting ripped off by a tree branch. In laws gave me a helmet front mount but haven't seen anyone wearing it there. Any thoughts on the chest strap? Looking forward to getting some good footage this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of mounting the gopro on the top of the helmet. First of all, I dont like the angle of the videos. As you can see from my videos, my camera which is a different brand, is mounted on the side of my helmet, which I think gives a better eye level view. Its not looking down at the front of the skis like a helmet mounted gopro. Secondly, the top of the helmet mount is more likely to get knocked off. A friend mounted his gopro on the top of his helmet, over a vent, which was foolish and insecure, and lost it within 2 days. I'd go for the chest strap.

HowieT2
03-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Nice Howie. I saw you guys heading that way Sunday. What kind of camera are you running?

My camera is a Drift HD. luv the picture quality although its a few years old and so quite a bit bigger than the current generation models.

Hawk
03-18-2014, 12:19 PM
i agree that the chest mount is safer and looks better as far as POV. Seeing the hands and ski tiips give you a better idea of speed and steepness.

ReefBum
03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
First of all, love those Bacons! As for camera location, I use the chest mount and my only complaint is that the video can be shaky if you are in the woods or bumps. Seems like that vid was pretty steady with the camera mounted on the side of the helmet, even in Slidebrook

pcampbell
03-20-2014, 04:15 PM
nice... i got some peeling nose skin too - i was trying to figure out if it was frostbite or sunburn!

I did have a 12 year old tell me my nose was looking a little white last thursday.

I skied 8 days in a row since last Wednesday through yesterday, all great days (ok that sticky snow on saturday could have been a little colder!). Headed south today to visit family for a couple of days and had to drive through quite a bit of snow to get out of Dodge. So I'm sure there was even more fun to be had today.

pcampbell
03-20-2014, 05:25 PM
by the way -- looks like more snow on saturday night? 3/22 into 3/23.

HowieT2
03-20-2014, 06:50 PM
nice... i got some peeling nose skin too - i was trying to figure out if it was frostbite or sunburn!

I did have a 12 year old tell me my nose was looking a little white last thursday.

I skied 8 days in a row since last Wednesday through yesterday, all great days (ok that sticky snow on saturday could have been a little colder!). Headed south today to visit family for a couple of days and had to drive through quite a bit of snow to get out of Dodge. So I'm sure there was even more fun to be had today.

I think it's windburn. Peeled like a sunburn. I think if it was frostbite the damage would have been worse. I'm fine now.

HowieT2
03-20-2014, 06:51 PM
by the way -- looks like more snow on saturday night? 3/22 into 3/23.

Don't forget about tonight upslope special. Would love to hear what it's doing out there now.

Plowboy
03-20-2014, 07:11 PM
About 1" of fresh and snowing...been a great 7 days with the plow and tractor$$

HowieT2
03-20-2014, 07:59 PM
About 1" of fresh and snowing...been a great 7 days with the plow and tractor$$

That's what I'm talking 'bout.

Plowboy
03-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Snowing....some wind

AT 909 PM...NATIONAL WEATHER RADAR IS SHOWING A PERSISTENT AREA OF
SNOW ACROSS EASTERN PORTIONS OF FRANKLIN...CHITTENDEN AND ADDISON
COUNTIES AS WELL AS MOST OF ORLEANS...LAMOILLE AND WASHINGTON
COUNTIES IN VERMONT. WITH WIND FLOW ALMOST DUE WEST...EXPECTING
THESE AREAS TO SEE ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL OVER NEXT SEVERAL HOURS
RANGING FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS...
ESPECIALLY IN THE STOWE AND WATERBURY AREAS. TRAVELERS SHOULD USE
CAUTION IF ON AREA ROADWAYS.

HowieT2
03-21-2014, 08:08 AM
10" let the wild rumpus begin!

djd66
03-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Been dumping all day! I think the skiing now is some of the best we have had all year. Just skied Church w/ my 2 kids - there is a ton of pow in there! I just wish is were the beginning of March and my kids were not playing soccer this spring.

pinnoke
03-21-2014, 04:23 PM

EVERYTHING I skied at LP was fantastic! Did runs I haven't done in several years...Rumble; Lew's Line, OG Woods; plus when conditions are this primo: Mall, Mid Earth, Lift Line, etc. You couldn't make a wrong turn today! Eden was a vast playground for a nice finale to the base. Thank-you Ullr :lol:

jemjr
03-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Conditions are amazing right now. Skied all the woods around the Mall this morning with the kids...Christmas Tree, Gangstas Grotto, Sap Line. Awesome!

HowieT2
03-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Fantastic day.
Met reefbum. Nice skis buddy! I don't know how it happened, but there was no one at castlerock early tis morning.

Hawk
03-24-2014, 06:45 AM
I skied MRG Sunday. Quiet, peaceful, untracked in the woods and uncrowded. Very nice change of pace. Conditions were primo. I saw a few Sugarbush people also. Fun day all around. Howie I did some Recon on Saturday. It actually might have been the day. Saw lots of tracks headed in that direction. Someday.

HowieT2
03-24-2014, 12:01 PM
I skied MRG Sunday. Quiet, peaceful, untracked in the woods and uncrowded. Very nice change of pace. Conditions were primo. I saw a few Sugarbush people also. Fun day all around. Howie I did some Recon on Saturday. It actually might have been the day. Saw lots of tracks headed in that direction. Someday.

I saw your wife on line at CR saturday but you must have been off flying.

It was kind of weird how little traffic there was sunday. I got 3 trips up CR before there was any line to speak of and even then it was minimal. I know its a sunday in late march, but still.

I am officially satisfied with winter. My body is tired and I have a shitload of work to do. ready for some spring skiing, sleeping late, warm temps and beer outside.

ThinkSno
03-24-2014, 12:47 PM
I am officially satisfied with winter. My body is tired and I have a shitload of work to do. ready for some spring skiing, sleeping late, warm temps and beer outside.

Agreed, however beer outside can be had at any time of the year.

ReefBum
03-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Fantastic day.
Met reefbum. Nice skis buddy! I don't know how it happened, but there was no one at castlerock early tis morning.
Great meeting you Howie! Should of done ME with ya but CRR was great too....we were giving another buddy a tour and eventually ended up in Slidebrook, which was fantastic. Yes, the Bacons are a lot of fun!

HowieT2
03-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Agreed, however beer outside can be had at any time of the year.

True. I guess I'm a pussy but I don't like cold beer outside when it's cold.

HowieT2
03-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Great meeting you Howie! Should of done ME with ya but CRR was great too....we were giving another buddy a tour and eventually ended up in Slidebrook, which was fantastic. Yes, the Bacons are a lot of fun!

Funny, I ended up In Slidebrook eventually too after a quick lunch. Door 1 Ftw.

HowieT2
03-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Also, note how 5 feet of snow can tamp down the complaining.

Dblshot
03-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Agreed on the more snow=less complaining and the lifts have been doing ok besides some windholds. HG down all day today for maintenance issues- I'm all for midweek repairs but it's been a tough year for HG. I take Win at his word that lifts are the top summer priority. On days like today it would be nice if they ran the cabin cat up and down Jester from 10-2 shuttling people to ski everything up there except Jester and that leaves enough time for patrol to sweep. Just a thought.

MntMan4Bush
03-25-2014, 10:14 AM
If Win somehow had influence to make the 5 feet of snow then I'm back on the the rally bus. I hardly see how less complaining due to snow means the mountain did anything to make things better. Any place can be great and complaint free when there's ample snow. Blue Hills is a monster on a powder day. It's like Peter Frampton's Greatest Hits. A MONSTER!!!

However this is a positive thread so that's all I'll say on that subject. Things were great this weekend apart from the crowds, but windholds were absolutely necessary and I was pleasantly surprised to actually see lifts open back up at the tail end of the day. You almost figure after some point there's no chance of reopening due to how close to closing time it is, but they did open again. Nicely done. I got in an end of the day SB run I wasn't expecting to be able to do. As for the crowds it was my own fault for not skiing ME originally.I had hoped to make my way there when the lines formed, but got trapped with NL and SB going down. My own stubbornness in riding the bus over combined with how well CR was skiing despite the lines kept me at LP.

Hawk
03-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Snow has nothing to do with it Howie. You asked and out of respect for you I stopped. The issues are still there. Actually I have more info but will keep it to myself so that we can keep the end of the season positive. Happy spring skiing this weekend.

HowieT2
03-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Snow has nothing to do with it Howie. You asked and out of respect for you I stopped. The issues are still there. Actually I have more info but will keep it to myself so that we can keep the end of the season positive. Happy spring skiing this weekend.

relax! I'm sorry I brought it up. Just thought everyone was as happy as I was about the recent bounty and great skiing. I still have to pay my taxes too.

Hawk
03-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Ahhh. Spring Skiing and Taxes. Such the combo. We have to do ours also. Usually a strong Vodka and Tonic is involved with the taxes. It makes it feel a little better.

HowieT2
03-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Ahhh. Spring Skiing and Taxes. Such the combo. We have to do ours also. Usually a strong Vodka and Tonic is involved with the taxes. It makes it feel a little better.

Root canal would be better!

Ride Delaware ?
03-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Looks like a mixed bag for weather today, but looks like I'll be returning for some more winter on Sunday. Last report I saw was 6-10" at the base and 10-14" at the top if not more. Looks like even more the farther north you get. Its supposed to be wet, but that just means it will be that much better when it softens in the woods for real tree skiing.

pcampbell
04-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Looks like it would have been a great day to cut work...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7111/13562335024_5033e92b8c_b.jpg

Ride Delaware ?
04-01-2014, 02:18 PM
I just got off the hill. It was mad sweet and low until around 1:30 and then it started to corn up. Really soft where the sun had hit it, but still firm in the shade. Spring Fling was epic as was Birdland. Steins hadn't softened up as much because of the sun angle, but the snow was at least edgeable. Such a great day.

Hawk
04-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Sweet and Low like Sugary? It looks like a great day. So jealous. Tonight is the start of spring night riding with my MTB group. Sunny and 50 here in Boston. Temps will not go below freezing tonight for the first time in a long time. Spring is here.

Ride Delaware ?
04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Sweet and Low like Sugary? It looks like a great day. So jealous. Tonight is the start of spring night riding with my MTB group. Sunny and 50 here in Boston. Temps will not go below freezing tonight for the first time in a long time. Spring is here.
Correct. Just adding a little spice of life.

shadyjay
04-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Today was sweet indeed. Bluebird morning led to partly sunny skies by last chair. Still amazing as to how much snow there is. VHT, Lower Lower Jester down to top of Gondo, Coffee Run are buried. Don't believe me? Look at the hydrants, not to mention the level of snow behind the Bravo bottom shack. We should be going for a while if weather like this keeps up.

Hawk
04-28-2014, 07:48 AM
I just have to say something. It may have been a little rainy on Saturday and cloudy on Sunday but it may just have been one of my best weekends this year. Conditions were great with soft conditions over all and a new 2" of new snow on top. The rain softened and the new snow insulated the snow so no refreezing. Temps were in the 40's and 50's. But best of all....No quad-packers, no 420's, no families with kids in programs, no Claybrookers, no bus tours, no beginners, no tourists. NOBODY....except for all the same people that I started the season with in November. Just local folks and people who ski because it is what they do. Never waited for a second in line, never waited at the bar, had the trials basically to ourselves. These are the weekends that make us remember why it is such a joy to ski at the Bush. Because after all it is all about skiing with friends and enjoying the outdoors. How fast the lift moved, snowmaking, lodge capacity, costs, etc. became irrelevant. Just all diehard skiers and the mountain. Awesome!