PDA

View Full Version : Heart of the Season Discussion

Hawk
01-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Time for a new thead. Maybe it will change our luck. Anyway it looks like the patten is changing and some snow in the air.

Ride Delaware ?
01-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Time for a new thead. Maybe it will change our luck. Anyway it looks like the patten is changing and some snow in the air.
I know we have the discussion about snowmaking every season, and I'm not trying to evolve this thread into that, but it's times like these, when MRG is closed and the season has struggled, that I am thankful for the snowmaking we have. I was at ME today and had a great day.

The pattern is going back cold, but there doesn't seem to be much moisture after tonight's little snowfall. I hope that changes, but as the snowmaking budget dwindles, it will become more necessary.

HowieT2
01-18-2014, 10:36 PM
It's all about the fresh powder. We r going on 4 weeks with rain and no snow. January Snow totals to date are amongst the lowest on record. We r due yet this upcoming week looks to be dry. It's pretty remarkable the conditions aren't worse than they are. With all the traffic on the groomers they are skied off by the afternoon.

Hawk
01-19-2014, 08:03 AM
I hear you Howie. It's been fun running around the groomers but it hard to put in a full day. I just get so bored after about 4 hours of that....and.... sure DR it's great to have some snow making. We would not be skiing without it. Just don't tell me that it couldn't be better. It can and someday, it will. That is a Hawk prediction.

HowieT2
01-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Watching some football after a really good day on the hill. Sunrise was great. Steins was a blast. A lot colder than I anticipated.

Roadkill
01-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Skied Saturday and Sunday this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Saturday was a beautiful day with sun, no wind and edgeable snow in most places. Liftlines were long but the ops guys had better control of the lines than over the Holiday weekend. Sunday was colder and much harder surfaces despite an inch of top coating and some light snow falling throughout the day. Best part of Sunday was after about 2pm when the crowds dissappeared to watch the Patriots game. We lapped Jester since there was absolutely no one on Heaven's Gate. We avoided Deathspout by skiing Heaven's Gate Traverse which had just enough natural to make it across. I picked up my 6 yr old from ski school at 3pm and we got 3 runs off Gatehouse. I guess it paid to be a NYJ fan for the first time in a loooong time!

pcampbell
01-21-2014, 06:50 PM
With MRG being closed for 2 weeks, at least I've gotten a good workout.

MRG is opening tomorrow. Skied Catamount and Lower Antelope this morning..... it was powder on crust. I didn't catch any roots under my tips. :)

Ride Delaware ?
02-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Anybody been able to get up there since the freeze/thaw/rain/snow/ice event last weekend? Everything off piste still locked up and less than enjoyable?

HowieT2
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Anybody been able to get up there since the freeze/thaw/rain/snow/ice event last weekend? Everything off piste still locked up and less than enjoyable?

I haven't been to mrg but i did paradise and paradise woods on Saturday. The trail was awful. Solid ice at the top. The woods were considerably better. There was a crust but it was breakable. There was soft snow underneath and somewhat edge able dust on top.