PDA

View Full Version : Mt Ellen?

beelze
12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Anyone have a date? Looking at Sugarbush page would think it does not exist. Only mention is of some party in Jan.

Not for nothing, its pretty embarassing too that Stratton has more open trails (as does K and Stowe). Its 12/12 and its been cold for a while. What is the hold up? Please Win, don't tell me you are saving the snow making budget for April.

Sorry to be bitchin so early but been waiting for two weeks for anything more meaningful than Jester/R Cord and top of Grinder.

gostan
12-13-2013, 05:57 PM
MT. Ellen opens Friday, December 20th.

Hawk
12-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I feel bad for the Mt. Ellen Crew. It's just how it's going to be. Until they finish what they are doing at Lincoln Peak, Mt. Ellen will not get much in the way of love it seems. To be fair they have done some things but I hear you B.

win
12-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Hawk,

We have more trail open and have made significantly more snow at this point than any prior year thanks to good temperatures and our investment in new snowmakiing equipment. We are making snow at Mount Ellen and because it doesn't open until December 20th the trails that could be open don't count. You will see a big jump next Friday. Anyone who has skiied here this year knows the depth and the quality of the snowmaking. Remember that traill count doesn't tell the true story. For instance we have 2400 vertical of top to botom skiing on Jester and Organgrinder at LP - more that the others you mention and trails like Inverness have a lot of acreage. In fact it is 25 acres, and it takes 180,000 gallons of water to make one cubic foot acre of snow. Putting down 3 cubic feet which it what we do takes 13.5 million gallons of water. GMVS was the first to have a dedicated race hill in the Northeast and has already hosted two races. They are thrilled with our efforts. Ask them. The terrain park which also takes a lot of snow will be open on opening day at ME, so I hardly think we "are saving the budget for April".

As far as love for ME, read this year;s magazine which you can click onto on the front page of the web and you will see a great article about the history of ME. We are planning to celebrate its 50th birthday wiith events from January 9 to January January 12. A lot of work went into paving the entire road over there and doing significant work on the lodge as well.