10-27-2013, 07:35 AM
So how much snow fell at lp?
Mansfield got a nice accumulation.

Plowboy
10-27-2013, 06:56 PM
About 7" @ top 0f Grinder

Hawk
10-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Howie, we arrived on Friday night to light snow showers. It actually snowed, sleeted, Graupled, Rained all weekend off and on. The mountain was white all the way down to about 100 yds from the bottom. I heard that some people actually skied up high at MRG and North.

We actually shot down to Killington on Saturday morning early. I was very surprised that it was not a total Sh*# Show. Believe it or not it was pretty chill for that place. They had Great Northern open from the top down to the Glades Triple with 3 runs off that chair including a small park with rails and elements. Lift line wait ranged from a couple of minutes to about 8 minutes max. Not bad at all. We did about 20 runs from 8:30 to noon and called it a day. There were a bunch of Sugarbush people we saw. At the end we had to take the stairway to heaven back to the gondola. That was not bad at all and we got some tremendous views as the sun peaked out. All in all it was very fun and a great opening day for us spent with friends.

HowieT2
10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Howie, we arrived on Friday night to light snow showers. It actually snowed, sleeted, Graupled, Rained all weekend off and on. The mountain was white all the way down to about 100 yds from the bottom. I heard that some people actually skied up high at MRG and North.

We actually shot down to Killington on Saturday morning early. I was very surprised that it was not a total Sh*# Show. Believe it or not it was pretty chill for that place. They had Great Northern open from the top down to the Glades Triple with 3 runs off that chair including a small park with rails and elements. Lift line wait ranged from a couple of minutes to about 8 minutes max. Not bad at all. We did about 20 runs from 8:30 to noon and called it a day. There were a bunch of Sugarbush people we saw. At the end we had to take the stairway to heaven back to the gondola. That was not bad at all and we got some tremendous views as the sun peaked out. All in all it was very fun and a great opening day for us spent with friends.

glad to hear you got some. we'll be up this weekend. u around or SR?

Hawk
10-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Undetermined. We may be up if I don't get side tracked with home projects. I will let you know. Temps should be good all week and then a warm up. Could be soft bumps.

HowieT2
10-28-2013, 06:52 PM
I actually am looking forward to the possibility of biking on Saturday if the weather is amenable.

Hawk
10-29-2013, 06:08 AM
The trails are in Good shape. I ton of work was done this year.

Ride Delaware ?
11-01-2013, 11:18 AM
So, the projected start of snowmaking at SB is always Nov. 1. There are some cold temps coming Sunday/Monday, especially at elevation, but another slight warmup on Wed/Thurs. Do you think they will wait until after then, or assume the risk and start laying down a solid base at the top for when sustained cold temps arrive?

Additionally, is anybody around here very good with a topo map? I've been trying to figure out the approximate elevations for the intersection of the access road and 100, and Trailside II so that I can give accurate reports whenever I write a trip report or someone asks where the snow level is. Thanks in advance if anyone has the skills or time to make that happen.

Tin Woodsman
11-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Pretty close to 820' elevation at the intersection of the access road and 100. Not sure where Trailside II is. If it's at the intersection of Trailside Drive and SB Village Rd., then you're right around 1700' on the nose.

HowieT2
11-01-2013, 02:03 PM
you can use google earth to give u the elevation.

Hawk
11-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Last night I stepped out onto the deck for a little fresh air and heard that familiar SHHHHHHHH.... noise. The snowmaking guns are on my friends. I just love the sounds of winter beginning. :-)

Ride Delaware ?
11-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Last night I stepped out onto the deck for a little fresh air and heard that familiar SHHHHHHHH.... noise. The snowmaking guns are on my friends. I just love the sounds of winter beginning. :-)
Awesome news Hawk!!! 2 solid days of around the clock snowmaking, especially at the top should give them a good start. Only a couple weeks now!!!

HowieT2
11-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Confirmed. Blasting on jester now. Snowed a little last night too.

Ride Delaware ?
11-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Was just up at the mountain about an hour ago. Guns are definitely on, but I'm going off sound, not visual. Nothing down low, but it sounded closer than just the top. Saw a groomer moving around in the yard, but I don't know if he's headed toward the top or just repositioning. I can't imagine they want to groom anything out with the little warm spell coming.

HowieT2
11-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Was just up at the mountain about an hour ago. Guns are definitely on, but I'm going off sound, not visual. Nothing down low, but it sounded closer than just the top. Saw a groomer moving around in the yard, but I don't know if he's headed toward the top or just repositioning. I can't imagine they want to groom anything out with the little warm spell coming.
I could see them blowing on jester down to Alyn's.

forecast for the next 2 weeks is not great.

Hawk
11-04-2013, 04:14 PM
So they took down the ugly stucco house on Sugarbush village Road. Pretty sad that they built that thing and no one ever lived in it. I think at one pont they were looking for almost a million dollars and the thing just fell apart. Literally.

HowieT2
11-04-2013, 04:41 PM
So they took down the ugly stucco house on Sugarbush village Road. Pretty sad that they built that thing and no one ever lived in it. I think at one pont they were looking for almost a million dollars and the thing just fell apart. Literally.

That house was ridiculous. whoever built it on spec must have thought it was miami. it was falling apart anyway.

I was surprised to see the warren house still standing.

also, went to the pine tree and found it closed. heard from reliable source that they are in the process of redoing the kitchen/menu and is being run by a guy who used to run the alchemist in waterbury. That is very promising.

Benski
11-04-2013, 05:27 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152032184228384&set=a.205332683383.161470.191921863383&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Ride Delaware ?
11-04-2013, 07:01 PM
forecast for the next 2 weeks is not great.
It's not the worst looking forecast for early-mid November. May not be conducive for t2b, but barring a long string of inversions, they will have a solid base up top.

Ride Delaware ?
11-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I was thinking of putting in a lowball offer for it since I would have to spend so much to tear it down. Who tore it down? New owner? Now where will I tell my friends to turn?

southvillager
11-04-2013, 08:38 PM
That place was a moldy mess for several years. Water was leaking in everywhere, and it seemed like the entire building was melting into the ground. When I went by on Saturday, there was a guy working on it. I thought it looked like he was starting a remodel. I guess not. Maybe he was preparing it for knock-down.

shadyjay
11-04-2013, 10:50 PM
That house was still standing at 8am when I got off my shift.

We fired up around midnight EDT on Sunday on Jester. Cold temps throughout the day Sunday permitted also running Downspout, Lower Downspout, and a few at the top and bottom of Coffee Run.

Any groomer activity seen in the past day or so has just been positioning snow guns.

Hawk
11-05-2013, 08:16 AM
It was torn down by the owner. Not sure of the future plans.
Tell your friends were to turn? Were do you live dude?

Plowboy
11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
That house is being loaded into dumpsters today(see ya). And, they were going to build one across the street...good thing the first one rotted away before they started the sister ship!!!! Same here, we would say make a left at the White Elephant, worked every time.

They were blowing snow on Inverness, but they shut it down this morning. Temps^^

Heard they were having some issues with the new guns at both mountain's

Ride Delaware ?
11-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Yep, same for me. Make a left at the ugly White House. Not one person got lost lol

vonski
11-07-2013, 01:39 PM
from my friend who lives next door. he got his view back!!!

vonski
11-07-2013, 01:43 PM
apparently two guys cleaned out all the copper, windows and doors and whatever else was salvagable prior to it getting the dozer treatment!

random_ski_guy
11-07-2013, 07:47 PM
the forecast has been trending a bit colder. tomorrow and tomorrow night could be decent snowmaking weather and looking at earlier next week the coldest weather yet should be arriving.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.15954864936028&lon=-72.93136596679687&site=btv&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text#.Unw0L74o6Uk

HowieT2
11-08-2013, 08:43 AM
yes the forecast has improved somewhat.

also good news on the restaurant front. new brewery where the old jays was, and china fun opening a sit down location.

http://www.valleyreporter.com/index.php/en/news/news/9421-new-businesses-for-waitsfield

Plowboy
11-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Gun's are going on Rim Run

klop
11-08-2013, 09:28 PM
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/meteomadness/snowstorm-potential-for-next-week/19689020

HowieT2
11-09-2013, 08:18 AM
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/meteomadness/snowstorm-potential-for-next-week/19689020

Unfortunately, I wouldn't put much stock in that. We'll get ours, but that Thursday event got lost in yesterday's model runs. And that guy is a notorious hype machine.

villager
11-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Wow the web cam looks great this morning!

Ride Delaware ?
11-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Snowmaking will really ramp up over the next two days/nights. t2b opening might be possible again. Can't wait to check it out next week.

Plowboy
11-11-2013, 10:04 AM
8" to 10" top of ME @ 1am...they have been cranking the guns on Rim Run...also a couple of guns on FIS

Benski
11-11-2013, 05:18 PM
have they made snow a trail other than downspout, coffee run and upper jester? How much snow have they made?

Ride Delaware ?
11-11-2013, 11:02 PM
have they made snow a trail other than downspout, coffee run and upper jester? How much snow have they made?
Snow report says just those trails (no switch to winter mobile site yet + shameless plug for adding back the mobile snow report this year). I know they don't have the snowmaking system that other northern mountains have, but seeing what Killington has put down, I have to imagine that it's a decent amount, even at their diminished capacity. With the next two days being so cold, I have to imagine they will put down some pretty good cover at the base.

HowieT2
11-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Pole guns going at the base of super bravo.
Any chance we get an opening earlier than planned???

Plowboy
11-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Guns going on Inverness and about 2" more of fresh......temp 22 @ base of ME

shadyjay
11-12-2013, 10:14 AM
So far we have made snow on Jester, Allyn's, OG, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Lower (Lower) Jester, and base area. OG was lit up Sunday night and shut down last night. Last night was the start of the push to the base. Cold temps this week will permit the lower half of the mtn to be slammed, including Coffee Run. Unfortunately, I see another warmup this coming weekend. Fingers crossed its short lived. Don't really see opening being any earlier than the forecasted 11/23.

HowieT2
11-12-2013, 12:44 PM
So far we have made snow on Jester, Allyn's, OG, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Lower (Lower) Jester, and base area. OG was lit up Sunday night and shut down last night. Last night was the start of the push to the base. Cold temps this week will permit the lower half of the mtn to be slammed, including Coffee Run. Unfortunately, I see another warmup this coming weekend. Fingers crossed its short lived. Don't really see opening being any earlier than the forecasted 11/23.

Rock on Shady!
looks like we're good until thursday.

Hawk
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Headed back to Killington Saturday. Top to bottom on 16 trials via Snowdon, Skye Peak and the Gondola. That is 3 areas and two ways to the bottom. We can't even do one run. So sad. Sorry Shady.

Benski
11-12-2013, 04:56 PM
opening day was set months ago and by now it probably is too late to open this weekend even if there is already enough snow.

gostan
11-12-2013, 06:19 PM
opening day was set months ago and by now it probably is too late to open this weekend even if there is already enough snow.If I recall opening day is usually set for the Saturday before Thanksgiving weekend, but TDay is a week later this calendar year.

skimore
11-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Opening day 2012 11/17/13, so we are one week latter than last year, we loose one week of skiing, based on a 23 week season in lieu of a 24 week season, season passes cost 4.3% more. Extra week of blowing, we should have more open than last year on opening day, right?

HowieT2
11-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Opening day 2012 11/17/13, so we are one week latter than last year, we loose one week of skiing, based on a 23 week season in lieu of a 24 week season, season passes cost 4.3% more. Extra week of blowing, we should have more open than last year on opening day, right?

depends on the weather, really. After today, temperatures are not conducive to snow making at least until early next week.

Ride Delaware ?
11-13-2013, 10:24 AM
depends on the weather, really. After today, temperatures are not conducive to snow making at least until early next week.
With the current forecast after today only showing marginal snowmaking conditions at the base, I would imagine that the only way there would be more terrain is if they concentrate on a couple more trails at the top where the conditions may be a little more favorable.

gostan
11-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Chomping at the bit to get out early is always a recurring point of November ski season discussions. And I always get on that band wagon. This season I am opting for quality over quantity. Hopefully, soon enough and throughout this season, everybody will get enough Q&Q to satisfy their ski jonesing!

Hawk
11-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Baaa-humbug Stan!!!! I want to ski at my home mountain. No excusses. ;-)

Ride Delaware ?
11-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Agreed. Regardless of terrain, it would be nice to save the hour drive down to KMart. If the schedule works out this week however, I may see myself at K on Sunday. Its easier to satisfy the jones than fight it.

HowieT2
11-13-2013, 06:42 PM

I hear ya bro!
I'm jacked up and ready to roll.

On a positive note, since they are not opening, I assume they will leave the man made snow in whales which will preserve it better. Forecast is for moderately warm temps from Thursday through Tuesday which should be too damaging but then a soaker before it gets cold again.

Hawk
11-14-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm going to hike up on Sunday and do a recon of the "production". Last Sunday we saw a snow boarder come down all the way to Coffee Run. He said that "they are getting there". Not sure what that means. Another cold shot comming late next week it looks.

sbskier
11-14-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm going to hike up on Sunday and do a recon of the "production". Last Sunday we saw a snow boarder come down all the way to Coffee Run. He said that "they are getting there". Not sure what that means. Another cold shot comming late next week it looks.

hiked up yesterday skied all the way down (north) from what i understand they could open this weekend lets see what win says today they are top to bottom

JayBird
11-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Headed back to Killington Saturday. Top to bottom on 16 trials via Snowdon, Skye Peak and the Gondola. That is 3 areas and two ways to the bottom. We can't even do one run. So sad. Sorry Shady.

Sugarbush is nice ... when it's open !
Snow envy seems to be the rule of thumb in this valley.
Getting tired of buying pass for less of a season here.
The SB panache is becoming a mirage, not an oasis (my bad ... je m'excuse)

gostan
11-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Sugarbush is nice ... when it's open !
Snow envy seems to be the rule of thumb in this valley.
Getting tired of buying pass for less of a season here.
The SB panache is becoming an oasis.i would prefer to be on an oasis for a shorter period of time than in a jungle ad infinitum.

HowieT2
11-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Stowe is opening for passholders on saturday.

gostan
11-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Stowe is opening for passholders on saturday.Howie not surprising at all. http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/news/story/stowesnowmaking1314.cfm

sgottmann
11-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Howie not surprising at all. http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/news/story/stowesnowmaking1314.cfm

Impressive fire power:

Add that to the 4.7 million invested last summer for a two year total that includes; 445 HKD tower guns, 150 energy efficient land guns, 20 Super Pole Cat fan guns and another seven miles of new snowmaking pipe. In addition to supplementing superlative snowmaking, the improvements allow Stowe Mountain Resort to operate with greater energy efficiency and eliminate over 100,000 gallons of diesel storage, use and emissions. From a skier’s standpoint, the new snowmaking increases potential for more early season terrain, raise overall snow quality and allows mountain operations to resurface the mountain quickly. Stowe Mountain Resort is scheduled to open November 23.

I think Stowe is the place to be early season based upon snowmaking, terrain, and natural snowfall. They should be able to provide substantial terrain and quality conditions for Christmas/New Year's in all circumstances except for ridiculously warm temps.

gostan
11-14-2013, 02:20 PM
http://nyskiblog.com/forums/#nabble-td4032191|a4032199

HowieT2
11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
http://nyskiblog.com/forums/#nabble-td4032191|a4032199

oh yeah.

http://vimeo.com/79327410#

HowieT2
11-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Speaking of sweat, I can see part of snowball from my house, and last night at about 9pm, I saw 8-10 headlamps either hiking or skinning up.

ducky
11-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Saw the headlamps too, also at Mt Ellen. Exciting, lots of action.

Watch out today, peeps, first day of deer hunting rifle season for adults. There will be hunters in and around the resort, for sure. Wear orange if you have it, especially for dogs.

Ride Delaware ?
11-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Any news on the snow base? It going to hold up during this event? I'm still hoping for a t2b opening with Tus/Wed looking like possible around the clock days.

ducky
11-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Base almost gone at 1800' in my yard. Roads muddy in Upper Village. Supposed to be back cold by Tuesday after some rain Mon. Still white on trails. My daughter hiked and did some runs today. She was happy.

Hawk
11-18-2013, 08:35 AM
On Sunday mid-day we went all the way to the top. Temps were in the 40's and no rain until about 2:30ish and then it was just light mist and light rain. I have to report that the coverage on coffee run, lower Jester and Lower Donwnspout from the bottom of HG lift are wall to wall and faily substancial. Skiing to the bottom as of yesterday would not be an issue. I thnk there is enough there to withstand the rain this week. The main section of Downspout, all of Jester and all of upper organgrinder are wall to wall. No issues at all. They could have easily opened Saturday and Sunday if they wanted to. Upper Organgrinder is looking the best I have seen in recent years for early season coverage. Also the coverage is uniform it seems. No big mounds. They may have groomed it already and put more snow over it. It looked good.

ducky
11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Sadly, it's pretty grim right now; 50 and hard rain but looks sleety - maybe cold higher up. Upper OG is still covered but the rest is gone from my view below (assume Jester is fine). Cold again tomorrow. Can the snow makers make it by Sat with the right temps?

Ride Delaware ?
11-18-2013, 10:12 AM
It rained like crazy early this morning. It's cloudy now but the sun is trying to peak out. I would assume that temps will plummet as soon as the front passes. Snowmaking should resume tonight in some capacity.

Hawk
11-18-2013, 01:33 PM
I can assure you that this rain had very little effect on the trails they blew snow on. It was at least several feet thick. We will be in good shape as far as coverage next Saturday. Now the condition of said snow is another story. They are going to have to resurface for sure.

HowieT2
11-18-2013, 02:16 PM
saturday is looking sloppy before it gets colder and the precipitation "matures"

Hawk
11-18-2013, 02:28 PM
To early to tell. i think it will be all snow with upslope to follow into monday.

teleo
11-18-2013, 08:32 PM
To early to tell. i think it will be all snow with upslope to follow into monday.

Love the positive attitude. How about an opening day snowstorm:D

shadyjay
11-19-2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails-conditions/live-mountain-update

Opening Day for passholders only, this Friday.

Benski
11-19-2013, 05:08 PM
the snow report says they are opening lower jester. i am assuming that is only the part below lower downspout. What is the plan for snow making for the next couple weeks.

shadyjay
11-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Correct. In snowmaking, what is called Lower Jester on the map is actually Middle Jester. Lower Jester for us begins at the last crossover with Lower OG. From what I have heard, we are heading back to Upper OG starting today since temps are going to be warmer down below.

Oh yeah, and we've been making snow on First Time as well, for all those beginners out there.

Hawk
11-20-2013, 02:45 PM
I am trying to get up there Friday. It is funny that Organgrinder is closed. It was wall to wall and deep on Sunday. Must have totally glazed over with the rain. Apre party at the Castlerock. Home comming Sugarbush style!

Ride Delaware ?
11-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Shady has a better grasp on how things look at the top, but they have put out some good snow at the base. If they have had anywhere near that production at the top (should be better), then I would be surprised if OG doesn't open sooner rather than later.

Hawk
11-21-2013, 09:07 AM
I don't know. I was up there on Sunday and it was wall to wall and 3 feet deep. That is my first hand report. That is why I think the Rain glazed it over. I would think they have the guns on Jester and the lower portion of the mountain and will switch over today if they can. RD you have to remember, this is not Sunday River. They can only blow one trail section at a time.

HowieT2
11-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Shady has a better grasp on how things look at the top, but they have put out some good snow at the base. If they have had anywhere near that production at the top (should be better), then I would be surprised if OG doesn't open sooner rather than later.

under promise and over deliver. I'll bet OG is open saturday.

Hawk
11-21-2013, 03:40 PM
I think I need to go to the eye doctor......because I just can see going to work tomorrow. ;-) Just made the decision. Headed up in the morning.

Ride Delaware ?
11-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Win's other post says Jester and Downspout groomed with OG au naturale. Season is upon us.

shadyjay
11-23-2013, 02:53 PM
So how is it out there, folks? Parking lot looked packed when I drove by a couple hours ago... cars parked in both the main lot and the lot across the road, halfway down to the compressor building.

Not going to get a chance to do some product testing til Tuesday, but just wondering how's the snow we've been making? Temps should be really good tonight and tomorrow for production.

Benski
11-23-2013, 03:13 PM
great on lower downspout, upper jester and coffee run. Some ice on Downspout and upper organgrinder. Upper grinder has not been groomed yet. downspout was bumped up by 10:30

Hawk
11-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Another great day yesterday. Friday was excellent. Soft and creamy and it was fun to have the First FSC (Friday Ski Club) of the year. Yesterday was "technical" skiing by afternoon. The edges were the place to be. This morning it is 9 degrees and snowing pretty good. Windy as heck and the 4-5" report will be underdone by the time lifts spin if they actually do.

Hawk
11-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Super cold yesterday. Did some laps in the morning. I got white patches on my nose and cheek. Temp at the top was -4 and windy. BRRRRR..... I hope this storm hits tomorrow night and Wednesday.....

win
11-25-2013, 10:55 AM
It will be a roller coast ride this week. We have had very good snowmaking temperatures so we have been able to get guns on Domino Chutes, Lower Jester and Lower Organgrinder on the Bravo pod as well as Pushover, Easy Rider, and the Beginner areas around the Gatehouse so we can have variety for all abilities over Thanksgiving. Inverness at ME is almost done so that GMVS will have the only dedicated race trail around. The acreage there is huge so it takes a concentrated effort to get it open for race gates. That is a big deal for them. It looks like we will get some snow but Tuesday night and Wednesday it looks to be changing to sleet, freezing rain and then a heavy amount of rain and higher temperatures before turning back to snow and very cold late Wednesday into Thursday. The upper mountain should hold up and we have our fingers crossed for all the snow we have made lower down. You never know until it gets here, but I am confident we will have good skiing and riding this weekend.

Nick
11-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Congrats on the season opening Win, hoping you guys have a great year!

Benski
11-25-2013, 05:24 PM
when should the the trails that are currently having snow made on them be ready to open? What is the plan after these trails have enough snow on them?

jemjr
11-26-2013, 11:56 AM
I love these updates from win. Thank you! Please let us know how this weather event turns out up there as we're considering coming up for the weekend. Also, thanks for making SB such a great value, including a youth pass with an adult pass sealed the deal for us when choosing a mountain.

Hawk
11-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Well it looks to be snow - then R*&$ - then Snow again. Hopefully in the end it is a net gain and it freezes hard for a good base. I guess that is about as positive as I can be for today. ;-)

jemjr
11-28-2013, 05:02 PM
So, what's the verdict? Was it a flash freeze? How is it looking up there?

Ride Delaware ?
11-28-2013, 06:40 PM
There was definitely some liquid precipitation yesterday, but it was done by 12:30 and temps dropped below freezing over most of the mountain by 2. It locked up a bit, but it was accompanied with some snow that really helped the recovery. Snow guns were blasting all day today on new terrain. Lower Jester and Domino Chute opened as well. Things were good early, but got a little scratchy later on. Groomers are out in force and they should be able to make it a bit better by tomorrow morning. Things are looking great and it looks like winter has finally arrived.

HowieT2
11-28-2013, 09:24 PM
There was definitely some liquid precipitation yesterday, but it was done by 12:30 and temps dropped below freezing over most of the mountain by 2. It locked up a bit, but it was accompanied with some snow that really helped the recovery. Snow guns were blasting all day today on new terrain. Lower Jester and Domino Chute opened as well. Things were good early, but got a little scratchy later on. Groomers are out in force and they should be able to make it a bit better by tomorrow morning. Things are looking great and it looks like winter has finally arrived.

I thought conditions were great before I called it a day at 1. Certain natural snow trails were skiable, from what I understand, not that I would know from personal experience. Not at all. It was a very happy holiday.
Oh and win was manning the turkey station.

Hawk
11-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Nice Howie. Give me a call T and I need a partner in crime. I will pm my #.

Benski
11-29-2013, 06:03 PM
When should ripcord open. today the section not under the lift was good. The very top appeared to be realy badly windblown and the run-out had some bad water-bars. Other than that it appeared to be fine.

shadyjay
11-30-2013, 04:44 PM
We're making snow on Ripcord ... I think they fired it up today at some point. If these temps keep up, it won't take long to get it in really good shape.

Benski
11-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Are they still making snow on all of lower organ grinder and gondolier?

teleo
11-30-2013, 07:55 PM
They lit up ripcord around 1-2 this afternoon. It'll be next online. Shouldn't take long. Lower OG & gondolier were still being hit at 3 this afternoon.

HowieT2
11-30-2013, 08:49 PM
They lit up ripcord around 1-2 this afternoon. It'll be next online. Shouldn't take long. Lower OG & gondolier were still being hit at 3 this afternoon.

Judging by the size of the whales, they are done on those trails. Next up ripcord where there is a lot of area to cover.

Bike trails skied nice today. Not too shabby for November.

sugarbushskier
12-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Judging by the size of the whales, they are done on those trails. Next up ripcord where there is a lot of area to cover.

Bike trails skied nice today. Not too shabby for November.

Heading up for the first time this week! What's next on the snowmaking agenda? Having Ripcord open is a game changer as I wasn't prepared to use one of my quad pack tix, but perhaps.....

shadyjay
12-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Lower OG and Gondolier benefited greatly from two nights of really cold temps. Some of those whales are at least 10' tall. Seeing the difference between 7pm on Saturday and 7am Sunday was truly incredible. We shut both those trails off last night at around 8pm. They'll get pushed out within a few days I'm sure - same goes for Pushover, Sugarbear Road, etc. As for what's next? It's anybody's guess, but when temps are warmer down below, we'll be up high (Ripcord, OG), and if we have base temps, then probably back over to Gate House side. Valley House was set up last night so that could be in the cards soon as well, though Snowball and Spring Fling require a lot of snow.

jemjr
12-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Skied yesterday and the conditions were pretty good. Run of the day was spillsville which looked very thin and rocky but was actually quite good. Lower OG was fun too.

sugarbushskier
12-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks Shady for the update. I'm ready to hit the slopes so will probably ski this week. Just trying to figure out which day is best.

D.

Brew Ski
12-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks Shady for the update. I'm ready to hit the slopes so will probably ski this week. Just trying to figure out which day is best.

D.

Wouldn't any day skiing, and not working be best?

sugarbushskier
12-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't any day skiing, and not working be best?

Absolutely! But with only 2 quad packs to use, I'm trying to be smart about how/when I use them. I'm hoping for the $30 MT Ellen Thursdays and also just got a 2 fer for MRG via the Ski and Ride program at gas stations. With multiple people in my family skiing, it adds up fast.

So as it turned out, I did ski yesterday (Wednesday) and had a blast. First day out, but took full advantage of the 2 lifts and found a way to very much enjoy different trail connections. Skied them all and also used the SB tracking for the first time ever. Pretty cool looking back and seeing where I skied. 4.25 hours straight, 23+k vertical. All in all and good first day of the season as the conditions and snow cover were excellent. Kudos to all the snowmakers and groomers.

Benski
12-06-2013, 02:20 PM
why is heavens gate close and all the trails off of heavens gate closed?

sbskier
12-06-2013, 07:19 PM
why is heavens gate close and all the trails off of heavens gate closed?

it was on Win hold

Benski
12-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I assumed something different because usually when a lift is on wind hold the trails remain marked as open on the web site.

HowieT2
12-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Temps look good for snowmaking all week. Hopefully they can knock off, murphys, snowball and spring fling and move on to north lynx. would be great to have NL open prior to xmas.

Hawk
12-10-2013, 04:53 PM
They are saying another 3-4" ! Keep it coming.

HowieT2
12-11-2013, 08:03 AM
We need some help this weekend to bring this thing north a bit.

Hawk
12-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Well Howie this is looking up as far as I can tell. We had 4-5" between yesterday and the day before, we are expecting another 4+" tonight with some upslope predicted and they are saying right now upwards of a foot Saturday night into Sunday. I am Stoked!

HowieT2
12-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Well Howie this is looking up as far as I can tell. We had 4-5" between yesterday and the day before, we are expecting another 4+" tonight with some upslope predicted and they are saying right now upwards of a foot Saturday night into Sunday. I am Stoked!

I'd be more than satisfied with a foot from the weekend system. my understanding is that as it stands now, that is overly optimistic. either way, conditions this weekend should be fantastic.

fwiw-looks like they turned some guns on spring fling.

gostan
12-11-2013, 05:34 PM
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lincoln-Peak-Vermont/forecasts/1212

Howie, I hope this forecast for Saturday is off by at least 50% more than predicted. Take a run or 3 for me please.

HowieT2
12-11-2013, 10:12 PM
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lincoln-Peak-Vermont/forecasts/1212

Howie, I hope this forecast for Saturday is off by at least 50% more than predicted. Take a run or 3 for me please.

Will do. You'll be out there before you know it. Hope you're feeling well.

Fwiw-the weekend system is becoming less interesting with each model run.

shadyjay
12-11-2013, 10:56 PM
fwiw-looks like they turned some guns on spring fling.

We lit up Spring Fling last night, so that and Snowball are running on VH side, with the Gate House liftline also running. I believe Murphy's and Birdland are next, along with Sleeper. Continued cold temps right through the rest of the week and into the weekend should put us in really good shape. Add natural to the mix and everybody's happy.

Hawk
12-12-2013, 12:19 PM
So the snow report showing that they have been blowing snow on Murphy's, Spring Fling and Snowball for the last 3 days was inacurate. Whatever! It's gonna snow. Screw your model runs Howie!!!!!

HowieT2
12-12-2013, 08:34 PM
They were blowing on snowball for a couple of days before they started on spring fling. I'd expect those trails open on Saturday.
Very light snow this week and whatever we get Saturday night will be the fluffiest. So doubt it provides the necessary base for natural snow trails.

Hawk
12-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Headed up in the morning for FSC!!!! I will let you know how it was.

shadyjay
12-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Rode VHT-Snowball-Spring Fling today, along with a pair of Hot Shot-Waterfall runs. I gotta say that Hot Shot-Waterfall was truly excellent. I have never ridden a trail with active snowmaking on it that was so nice and soft. In regards to Murphy's running earlier in the week or last weekend, only the top couple guns were on, in order to cover the traverse. Actual Valley House Traverse hydrants don't start until you get past Murphy's, so the top few guns on Birdland and Murphy's provide the necessary coverage between top of Bravo and Murphy's.

I guess its similar to the Middle Jester/Lower Jester situation, where the snow report says Lower Jester is open on Day 1, even though its only open from Castlerock, down. In the world of snowmaking, there is Middle Jester and Lower Jester. Middle Jester begins just past Domino Chute and continues until the last point where MJ crosses Lower OG. Then it officially becomes Lower Jester. Confusing to some, since Middle Jester doesn't appear on any trail maps. Neither does "Forbidden Jester", either. :-)

sbskier
12-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Rode VHT-Snowball-Spring Fling today, along with a pair of Hot Shot-Waterfall runs. I gotta say that Hot Shot-Waterfall was truly excellent. I have never ridden a trail with active snowmaking on it that was so nice and soft. In regards to Murphy's running earlier in the week or last weekend, only the top couple guns were on, in order to cover the traverse. Actual Valley House Traverse hydrants don't start until you get past Murphy's, so the top few guns on Birdland and Murphy's provide the necessary coverage between top of Bravo and Murphy's.

I guess its similar to the Middle Jester/Lower Jester situation, where the snow report says Lower Jester is open on Day 1, even though its only open from Castlerock, down. In the world of snowmaking, there is Middle Jester and Lower Jester. Middle Jester begins just past Domino Chute and continues until the last point where MJ crosses Lower OG. Then it officially becomes Lower Jester. Confusing to some, since Middle Jester doesn't appear on any trail maps. Neither does "Forbidden Jester", either. :-)

so I was on springfling yesterday snow guns on 9 degrees and my googles were getting covered from wet guns it seems like every time i ski under the snow guns there are always 1 or 3 that are putting out water at any temp can anything be done by the way that means icy trails after there off

Hawk
12-14-2013, 08:20 AM
When I was back in my Sunday River days, the SOP was to have a crew of 2 constantly go down the line inspecting the snow and adjusting the guns positions and flow. The test was actually not very scientific. You held out your glove and watched the crystals hit as they hit. If they were wet and stuck then you adjusted the Air and Water ratio. Depending on the length of the run this occurred every 2 to 3 hours. Seldom did they have a wet gut at these temps. Not sure what it happening here. It is sometimes tricky when you get to your max on air capacity.

win
12-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Not sure what one was talking about on Spring Fling. I skied it today an the guns were putting out nice dry snow. The crew this year has done an exellent job of making quality snowand maximizing the water output. We will continue snowmaking on Spring Fling until the southeast winds tonight prevent the towers functioning properly. Next move is likely to Murphy's, Birldland and Stein's and then Sleeper and finishing with North Lynx. That does it for LP, so that all the snowmaking trails will have been covered before Christmas. Then we will hope a winter thaw doesn't take what we have put down away and the free snow comes.

Ride Delaware ?
12-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Overall, I think snow quality has been great this season so far. The sustained cold weather over the past week has really helped keep the conditions consistent. It also helps that we have been in a snowy cycle with a foot of fresh this week with up to a foot of fresh through tomorrow. Looks like there may be some more accumulation on Tuesday from snow showers as well. Things are looking really sweet. Should be a terrain explosion soon.

win
12-15-2013, 02:51 PM
What a fun day! Snow brings everyone out. Busiest day on this weekend we have ever had. Hope everyone had a fun day. I did and have some leg burn.

sbskier
12-16-2013, 08:05 AM
What a fun day! Snow brings everyone out. Busiest day on this weekend we have ever had. Hope everyone had a fun day. I did and have some leg burn.

so the gun at the top of snowball yesterday that covered my goggles was fun the lines they were fun to but the most fun was waiting for havensgate to open 40 mins and have the ski programs show up and cut lines on a powder day thats real fun If patrol had put up and taken down ropes the day before maybe you could of opened the top earlier

win
12-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Wind was the delay. Sorry you didn't have fun!

gostan
12-16-2013, 01:59 PM
"You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of thee time but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

Myself, I had some fun being excited and pleased watching folks on the various Lift webcams (it did not take much to imagine their smiles)............while I am still waiting for my delayed season to begin early next year.

El Bishop
12-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Fantastic day yesterday -- I have never seen the parking lot that full. My three year old had a blast in micro blazers and my wife and I got our legs crushed. Thanks for all your efforts, Win

HowieT2
12-16-2013, 08:43 PM
The snow was playful. Waterfall was a blast. As was ripcord

Hawk
12-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Sugarbush made it onto Unofficial Networks. Someone was not happy....and no it wasn't me. I am very happy after skinning both Saturday and Sunday. Lines did not effect me. The best part about the posting is the comments. Way to funny.

win
12-17-2013, 03:24 PM
The comments on Unofficial were indeed more interesting. Just a clarification about the three patrollers. It was Birdland and they were not free skiing. They were pulling back the snowmaking gear to make the trail safe for skiing. I did go up early and way amazed at the amount or early morning hiking that got the powder ahead of any of us. A Happy Hawk is good :)

southvillager
12-18-2013, 08:08 AM
The writer make a valid point regarding lift lines. Lines for Bravo halfway up to the Valley House are becoming more common. All the more infuriating when the "in" crowd goes straight to a chair or takes early runs while us lowly season passholders and the day pass guys wait and watch. All skiers are equals, but some skiers are more equal than others.

The marketing efforts have succeeded. On Saturdays the base lodge, bars and lines are packed beyond capacity, like Killington.

HowieT2
12-18-2013, 10:46 AM
The writer make a valid point regarding lift lines. Lines for Bravo halfway up to the Valley House are becoming more common. All the more infuriating when the "in" crowd goes straight to a chair or takes early runs while us lowly season passholders and the day pass guys wait and watch. All skiers are equals, but some skiers are more equal than others.

The marketing efforts have succeeded. On Saturdays the base lodge, bars and lines are packed beyond capacity, like Killington.

might not be a bad idea to start the valley house double at 8:30 to lessen the traffic at the superbravo prior to the upper mtn lifts opening at 9. That being said, considering north lynx and castlerock were closed and heavens gate was operating intermittently, i didnt think the lines at the superbravo were that bad. Not good for sure, but not horrible. to beat a dead horse, a valley house triple would be nice.
crowding in the gatehouse is more troublesome. i dont know how many kids are in blazers this season, but even with some of them going to the valley house for lunch, the gatehouse was overrun with kids. something needs to be done.

southvillager
12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Good point, Castlerock and North Lynx lines/chairs/trails absorb a lot of people. And of course Mt Ellen was closed. I say bring back the Spring Fling chair.

Hawk
12-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Better get used to it boys. Those 4 packs did exactly what they management wanted. They boosed the skier visits for sure. I think that the opening of Mt Ellen will make things better.

I hope North Linx stays closed for a while. We need the base snow in slidebrook to consolidate. Personnaly I think all the early openings on the trails hammers the little base we have down to dirt and ruins the trails for the year. They never have the chance to build good coverage to hide the rocks and stumps so they show up after every storm. Spills is one thing. It is mostly grassy. But the runs on Castlerock are very rocky. I share this opinion with every one I ski.

HowieT2
12-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Better get used to it boys. Those 4 packs did exactly what they management wanted. They boosed the skier visits for sure. I think that the opening of Mt Ellen will make things better.

I hope North Linx stays closed for a while. We need the base snow in slidebrook to consolidate. Personnaly I think all the early openings on the trails hammers the little base we have down to dirt and ruins the trails for the year. They never have the chance to build good coverage to hide the rocks and stumps so they show up after every storm. Spills is one thing. It is mostly grassy. But the runs on Castlerock are very rocky. I share this opinion with every one I ski.

I think some good solid base that binds to a frozen surface can handle traffic. We don't really have that yet. Maybe we get lucky this weekend and pull off a net gain.

HowieT2
12-18-2013, 10:16 PM

I think some good solid base that binds to a frozen surface can handle traffic. We don't really have that yet. Maybe we get lucky this weekend and pull off a net gain.

win
12-21-2013, 02:02 PM
As I have said in the past, if all 16 of the lifts are running the lines are rarely longer than 10 minutes with the exception of Castlerock. The web cams are useful tools to let you see where the lines are, and riding Slidebrook over to ME is always a good idea on busy days. We plan to run in every day when we can. As far as seating in the lodges, we have added more seats in all the lodges and provided more variety in the Valley House hoping more people will go up there. We have also made a room for the Blazers in the Valley House which will provide more seating for others in the gate House.

HowieT2
12-21-2013, 11:03 PM
As I have said in the past, if all 16 of the lifts are running the lines are rarely longer than 10 minutes with the exception of Castlerock. The web cams are useful tools to let you see where the lines are, and riding Slidebrook over to ME is always a good idea on busy days. We plan to run in every day when we can. As far as seating in the lodges, we have added more seats in all the lodges and provided more variety in the Valley House hoping more people will go up there. We have also made a room for the Blazers in the Valley House which will provide more seating for others in the gate House.

I hope the blazers in the valley house works. That was tried a couple of seasons ago but kind of fell apart because the kids and coaches didn't want to eat up there. Vh is set up better now, although I haven't been there I've heard the food isn't on par with the gatehouse, specifically the pizza and marc/cheese.

The issues with the lifts isn't when they are all running. It's when the upper mtn lifts aren't and funneling all traffic to the super bravo. Having a new triple vh lift would do the trick. Wish I had one, but I checked the garage and I'm a few parts short. Maybe santa can drop one down the chimney.

Hawk
12-21-2013, 11:29 PM
We had better ask Santa for parts for the HG lift motor. If he doesn't bring them then it's going to be a long week next week.

sbskier
12-22-2013, 07:15 AM
We had better ask Santa for parts for the HG lift motor. If he doesn't bring them then it's going to be a long week next week.

maybe we should ask for a new lift maintenance dept Oh sorry we just got that

Hawk
12-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Freezing Rain and Ice accumulation last night. Today the temps are rising and the ice is now gone. Right now 45 deg. at 1800 ft. The lifts are spinning. I would think now is the time to ski befor the temps drop.

HowieT2
12-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Freezing Rain and Ice accumulation last night. Today the temps are rising and the ice is now gone. Right now 45 deg. at 1800 ft. The lifts are spinning. I would think now is the time to ski befor the temps drop.

There was a lull but now it's a heavier rain. Temp had dipped to 28 at 1600' but back up around freezing.

Benski
12-22-2013, 07:00 PM

HG lift should reopen Tuesday and Wednesday

Hawk
12-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Oh so Santa is bringing the parts. Very nice of him.

win
12-24-2013, 03:29 PM
He already delivered them and got his cookies and miilk.

HowieT2
12-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Fwiw- I don't know if any of you got out there today, but big thanks to the groomers and snow makers. I was expecting a horror show, but it was more than passable. Good snow where they were blowing and the rest of the groomed terrain was fine. Expect bird land groomed out tonight, and hoping they are done resurfacing tomorrow and can start on getting north lynx open.

win
12-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Murphy's Law hit. When we were installing the motor yesterday afternoon on HG, we discovered a hairline crack on the QD brushing through which the axle goes to the motor. While the lift would have run, our mechanics mad the proper call to not take the risk and have the entire part fracture. No one was around Christmas Eve or today to get it repaired or replaced. We thought that we might be able to use the one from Summit and took it out but the diameter is slightly off so that did not work, and that is why Summit was down today. It is a common part, so we can get one here once people open for business tomorrow. We are also calling around to all our resort friends to see if they have a spare to borrow. I am sorry again for the delay in getting it back open. The only fortunate thing is that we discovered the crack now and if we had not taken the motor out would not have until it broke. The fracture was likely caused by the vibration from the bearing issue that affected the motor.

Howie, thank you for your comments. Our mountain team is indeed doing a great job and each night of grooming with improve it further. We are making snow at LP on Sleeper, Snowball, Steins and parts of Spring Fling while the temps are cold at the base. We will likely be moving up to North Lynx tomorrow afternoon so that we can hopefully get NL open by the weekend.

Spartan82
12-25-2013, 02:31 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by the conditions today, given the rain last weekend and the cool down the past few days.

We caught one of the first chairs at Gate House this morning, and the corduroy was really nice - not icy at all. Later in the morning, it was still skiing well. Off of Bravo, Murphys and Birdland were very edgeable. The mountain Ops team has done a great job with what has been thrown at us the past week.

win
12-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Part for HG is in Milton, MA. Need to get it up here and it is a quick installation.

Benski
12-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Part for HG is in Milton, MA. Need to get it up here and it is a quick installation.

when will it be installed.

win
12-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Tonight or first thing in the AM, so hopefully it will be ready to go tomorrow. Grooming Upper Organgrinder in anticipation of this and probably Ripcord tomorrow night.

ReefBum
12-27-2013, 03:24 PM
OG was great this morning....and RC on skiers right was not bad when I skied it in the afternoon. Overall, the skiing has been really good considering all the rain last weekend. Kudos to mountain ops for a fantastic recovery effort.

sbskier
12-28-2013, 07:48 PM
OG was great this morning....and RC on skiers right was not bad when I skied it in the afternoon. Overall, the skiing has been really good considering all the rain last weekend. Kudos to mountain ops for a fantastic recovery effort.

so when will the north ridge spin this year ?

Hawk
12-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Good long stretch of skiing for me. My legs are toast. That rain we got before and during the new snow did not help matters on the lower mountain. Upper mountain was skiing well I thought. They realy need to fire up the guns and give most trails a resurface to make things nice. But it looks like Mother Nature is going to bail us out once again. I don't know what kind of deal Win has with her but she sure shows up when we need her. In the words of Henry Borell......"Pray for Snow" - (Insert French Accent) ;-)

southvillager
01-01-2014, 08:46 AM
12/31 update. All the intermediate trails on the lower mountain were unskiable by 10:30 or 11AM for intermediate skiers. The inch or 2 of groomed corduroy was skied off after a couple hours, leaving enormous fields of un-edgable surface (ice/hard pack/groomer tracks) on downspout, snowball, lower OG and lower Jester, spring fling, pushover, you name it. I just don't get it.

Dust on crust. No surprises I guess.

Roadkill
01-01-2014, 04:29 PM
We skied 29th and 30th. 29th was enjoyable once we left LP and got to Ellen. LP lift lines were just too much when skiing with a 6 yr old and two 10 yr olds. After skiing the hard pack on the 30th I just didn't feel like spending the dough. I am perplexed at several things things after this weekend… Why no snow making on the upper part of Sleeper to avoid the Chutes? This rendered the entire Sleeper trail a black diamond trail, preventing skiers from further spreading out. With limited options for green/blue skiers at Sugarbush in general, I would think this would be a priority. Over at ME, I was shocked to see that snowmaking had only been made on Mainstream causing a dangerous bottleneck as you approached the bottom of the Northridge. Years ago I remember a snowmaker had a name for that area. It looked like they could have easily extended snowmaking off to the left of the bottleneck. Lastly, I understand about the flash freeze on Sunday night but why no grooming in the AM and blowing a litte dust on as many runs as possible, instead of trying to open new terrain? If I had seen that happening on Monday, I probably would've been encouraged to spend $230 on lift tickets the next day.

jemjr
01-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Skied ME today (1/1). Elbow and Northstar have nice snow due to snowmaking. Exterminator was good with natural snow. Didn't really enjoy the hardpack everywhere else. It was a cold day and it's only going to get colder!

southvillager
01-01-2014, 04:53 PM
I skied LP until noon today, and things were much improved. Sleeper was exceptional. Didn't ski waterfall, but people were carving turns on it. Spring Fling had nice cover, Snowball was marginal. Trails that were unskiable yesterday (DeathSpout, Lower OG and Jester) had guns going, and the results were strong. North Lynx was all whales, but skiable as diamond trails, and pretty fun. The Funnel of Future Fatality under the top of the double was skiable until noon, not sure if it held up much longer.

The crowds were non-existent, which may explain the better trail conditions.

Benski
01-01-2014, 05:44 PM
i do not believe the section of sleeper that bypasses sleeper chutes has snowmaking.

shadyjay
01-02-2014, 09:24 AM
i do not believe the section of sleeper that bypasses sleeper chutes has snowmaking.

Correct. The uppermost jughandle has no snowmaking, despite the fact that it shows as having snowmaking on the trail map.

jemjr
01-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Mt Ellen was much better today, the falling snow really freshened things up. Lapped Exterminator to Northstar most of the day. Hoping they can drop some ropes tomorrow at ME with what we're getting tonight. I need an incentive to brave those temps.

jemjr
01-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Great skiing today, especially lower exterminator, but I was really hoping they would open hammerhead/tumbler/encore. Guess they need a bit more snow than we got.

jemjr
01-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Figures, the open them today and I'm going home.

Hawk
01-04-2014, 08:34 AM
You should have just skied them. These guys open everything way early anyway.

jemjr
01-04-2014, 03:22 PM
I wanted to, but I was worried about having my pass pulled.

Hawk
01-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Well you know what they say about rules...... They are for people that follow rules. ;-) That was never my strong suit. Some times you gotta say WTF!

sbskier
01-06-2014, 07:29 AM
so when will the north ridge spin this year ?

so when will the northridge chair spin again this year it seems to be down alot mt ellen isn't worth skiing without it

pinnoke
01-06-2014, 07:46 AM
I, too, was disappointed that it wasn't running ("wind hold") this past Saturday. However, the skiing was outstanding on newly-opened natural trails, which were otherwise accessed by GMX and Summit. North Ridge indeed improves the uphill experience, but Mt. Ellen is always worth skiing, especially when the snow's good and the crowd's elsewhere.

sbskier
01-06-2014, 08:17 AM
I, too, was disappointed that it wasn't running ("wind hold") this past Saturday. However, the skiing was outstanding on newly-opened natural trails, which were otherwise accessed by GMX and Summit. North Ridge indeed improves the uphill experience, but Mt. Ellen is always worth skiing, especially when the snow's good and the crowd's elsewhere.

it is worth it but to ski the good stuff you need that lift and its only been open 5 or 6 days if that.I guess the 99% lift operation rate of the last few years left with then 60% of the lift maintenance dept left the mountain this year. The two best lifts on the mountain have been down or stopping alot this year. (heavensgate and northridge) hope this new lift maintenance dept can get it together.

Last Tracks
01-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Northridge's constant breakdowns are embarrassing. To not have it up and running for the 50th birthday is totally ridiculous.

They spend all this time and effort to spin the snow report everyday and they can't seem to keep the lifts spinning.

The parking lot was full yesterday.. Summit lift line was backed up to the Glen House.. The marketing team did a great job getting people there but when they got there sugarbush didn't deliver.

Stowe runs every lift every day. So does Smuggs, Mad River, and Jay. Why is it so hard to get Northridge running consistently?

jwt
01-06-2014, 10:06 AM

The trails off Summit are the same trails accessed by NR - pity it was down, but one could get the goods even though they had to ride two lifts - keeping the crowds ( what little there was until Lincoln folks came when they discovered North had more access and better snow) - it kept the trails in better condition because fewer were ready to go thru all that to get to Ex Woods or Ex itself - which skied marvelously Sat - all the way from the top to NS.

The entire place needs 12-24" of snow no doubt, and when it comes - cause it will come - it will open everything up. Most of us come here because we have more natural snow than many NE resorts. It's that simple.

They now can make better snow and more of it, but it is never going to be a K-Mart or Stowe - many of us need to get over that. ( Or go to those resorts) Sunrise was pretty amazing and barring a long-term thaw, that will have snow until late March with the whales they built.

The mountain does the best with what they have, and we'll always want more - we're Americans fercryinoutloud - but we have the best location and terrain and natural snow combo - Jay has more snow - but between MRG and Spring Fling, they can't match the terrain abundance. And I'm pretty sure we'll never have to deal with water park people trying to ski either. Skied there NYD - trees were ok actually - more base, but still slick under the 4 " of snow they got. Are there colder lifts than FLyer? I don't think so. . . . ski on.

bumpcrasher
01-06-2014, 12:35 PM
The current state of the chairlifts is disappointing. NorthRidge is just the prime example as every year for the past decade, it suffers major problems that are simply not addressed every off-season. While I appreciate JWT's optimism, Mt. Ellen skis very poorly without NorthRidge as GMX and Summit involve too much traversing/run-out to ski a limited amount of vertical each run. I know many Bush regulars who refuse to go to Mt. Ellen as NorthRidge is so vital; yet, so unreliable. Yes, this preserves the snow; however, it is a questionable strategy to run a mountain.

Heaven's Gate also has a history of mechanical issues over the past few years. As such, it was no surprise Heaven's Gate was out for a long time this season. It is also a safe bet North Linx will continue to experience maintenence issues this season as well.

Hey--I am not saying I am switching to Stowe or Killington, nor would I ever want the Bush to become them. I know overhauling or replacing an existing lift is neither sexy nor will it increase skier visits. However, as far as the chairlifts go, I guess I am just looking to...... BE (a litte) BETTER HERE?!?

HowieT2
01-06-2014, 01:51 PM
The current state of the chairlifts is disappointing. NorthRidge is just the prime example as every year for the past decade, it suffers major problems that are simply not addressed every off-season. While I appreciate JWT's optimism, Mt. Ellen skis very poorly without NorthRidge as GMX and Summit involve too much traversing/run-out to ski a limited amount of vertical each run. I know many Bush regulars who refuse to go to Mt. Ellen as NorthRidge is so vital; yet, so unreliable. Yes, this preserves the snow; however, it is a questionable strategy to run a mountain.

Heaven's Gate also has a history of mechanical issues over the past few years. As such, it was no surprise Heaven's Gate was out for a long time this season. It is also a safe bet North Linx will continue to experience maintenence issues this season as well.

Hey--I am not saying I am switching to Stowe or Killington, nor would I ever want the Bush to become them. I know overhauling or replacing an existing lift is neither sexy nor will it increase skier visits. However, as far as the chairlifts go, I guess I am just looking to...... BE (a litte) BETTER HERE?!?

I dont think that is factually correct about the NRX the last few years. It was reliably running the last couple of years after they had it refurbished. that being said, if the nrx isnt running, im not skiing ME.
and wasn't the issue this past weekend windhold and not mechanical???? I was at LP and the winds coming down the bravo were incredible. I had to brace myself walking down the stairs so I didnt get blown away. I never understand why anger is directed at management about windholds. Its not like they are saving any money not running the lift.

gostan
01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
So, this country is in the midst of enduring a pretty rare and historic threatening weather freeze event that has resulted in 13 people dying over the past week of weather related events, 3400 cancelled flights today and thousands of people having no power in the midwest and now in the south.

Remember, it was not too long ago that we all had to deal with Irene and then with Sandy.

Skiing is a bonus that we all are lucky enough to be able to enjoy, but maybe we should all try to be just a little bit more thankful and a little bit less contrarian.

sbskier
01-06-2014, 03:09 PM
I dont think that is factually correct about the NRX the last few years. It was reliably running the last couple of years after they had it refurbished. that being said, if the nrx isnt running, im not skiing ME.
and wasn't the issue this past weekend windhold and not mechanical???? I was at LP and the winds coming down the bravo were incredible. I had to brace myself walking down the stairs so I didnt get blown away. I never understand why anger is directed at management about windholds. Its not like they are saving any money not running the lift.

the NRX has been on mechanical hold since Sunday NRX was only on windhold on sat

Hawk
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
I was told by my people over at North that the issue with the NRx was a Control board was cooked and the replacement may take some time. I will confim this story. So I do not think that wind was the issue in this case.

Actually Howie I don't know which is worse. The constant bitching about things or the uninformed rosy colored glasses optimism that the management does no evil around here. I think that for the most part it lies somewhere in the middle. Depending on who you are, the importance of different items can vary. I could give some pretty good sound critisim of things as I have asked I ton of questions to people who work and have worked at the hill in various capacites. They are my friends and I value their opinions. I will not as people already know my opinions. I have come to understand that when you own a business, you do what you think is right and that is the end of it. I just hope that once the focus on the base area is completed they will turn to the infrastucture and Staff and work harder on that part.

HowieT2
01-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I was told by my people over at North that the issue with the NRx was a Control board was cooked and the replacement may take some time. I will confim this story. So I do not think that wind was the issue in this case.

Actually Howie I don't know which is worse. The constant bitching about things or the uninformed rosy colored glasses optimism that the management does no evil around here. I think that for the most part it lies somewhere in the middle. Depending on who you are, the importance of different items can vary. I could give some pretty good sound critisim of things as I have asked I ton of questions to people who work and have worked at the hill in various capacites. They are my friends and I value their opinions. I will not as people already know my opinions. I have come to understand that when you own a business, you do what you think is right and that is the end of it. I just hope that once the focus on the base area is completed they will turn to the infrastucture and Staff and work harder on that part.

I also had heard that the reason the NRX was down prior to this weekend was a circuit board or some such thing, but that was resolved and this weekends issues were wind related. The fact of the matter is that the NRX was a mechanical disaster for a long time up until a few years ago when they refurbished it and since that time it had been reliable. Now that doesnt mean there arent going to be any mechanical issues. It happens. my complaint with regards to the lifts has 'nothing to do with NRX nor HG but that the valley house double needs to be replaced with a triple. sunday was another example when the bravo went on windhold.

and btw-its no coincidence that these major gripefests always seem to coincide with depressing weather.

gostan
01-06-2014, 04:13 PM
The r_ _ _ & w_ _ _ words really suck........

Time to start s _ _ _ dancing!

Hawk
01-06-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm going to do a steel pipe, fittings, valves and compressor dance. Get used to the new weather regim Stan or invest in a tuning machine and new skis. ;-)

Last Tracks
01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm not going to bitch about things like windholds and snow that are out of management control. I understand skiing is a capital intensive, weather dependant business and it isn't easy.

But after 10 years of watching north ridge go down over and over I will bitch. And then you hear rumors about all the experienced mechanics leaving and you just scratch your head.

My point is that no other top tier resort in Vermont would allow their lifts to have all this downtime year after year. It would be totally unacceptable at Stowe or Killington.

After all its called a lift ticket. The lifts are the most important piece of the whole thing.

Happy birthday MT Ellen.

sbskier
01-06-2014, 06:52 PM
I also had heard that the reason the NRX was down prior to this weekend was a circuit board or some such thing, but that was resolved and this weekends issues were wind related. The fact of the matter is that the NRX was a mechanical disaster for a long time up until a few years ago when they refurbished it and since that time it had been reliable. Now that doesnt mean there arent going to be any mechanical issues. It happens. my complaint with regards to the lifts has 'nothing to do with NRX nor HG but that the valley house double needs to be replaced with a triple. sunday was another example when the bravo went on windhold.

and btw-its no coincidence that these major gripefests always seem to coincide with depressing weather.

skied there sat and sun windy sat NO WIND WHAT SO EVER sunday the lifties told me it was mechanical I'd be happy to have all the lifts working ..

bumpcrasher
01-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Well said Last Tracks!!

After North Ridge's performance over the past 10 years, I think we can ask the question...."Are there any plans to fix or replace North Ridge?" I am not as concerned with the current problem as I am with a viable, long-term solution. It is a Doppelmeyr lift retrofitted with Poma parts--it simply does not work.

And contrary to the Lift/Trail Report, the issues this season (and many others) are not windhold. North Ridge was broken Opening Day and has been broken more days than not.

HowieT2
01-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Well said Last Tracks!!

After North Ridge's performance over the past 10 years, I think we can ask the question...."Are there any plans to fix or replace North Ridge?" I am not as concerned with the current problem as I am with a viable, long-term solution. It is a Doppelmeyr lift retrofitted with Poma parts--it simply does not work.

And contrary to the Lift/Trail Report, the issues this season (and many others) are not windhold. North Ridge was broken Opening Day and has been broken more days than not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they had dopplemeyr rework the nrx and it was better the last few seasons. I mostly ski at lp but that was my understanding and impression.

Last Tracks
01-07-2014, 09:52 AM
SB facebook post this morning....

"Here's an update on the North Ridge chair at Mt. Ellen. It's been closed for maintenance, but the part we need is arriving soon and we're planning to have the lift running in the next few days if not tomorrow. Typically the lift only runs weekends and holidays, so we hope to have it ready by Thursday for the Mt. Ellen 50th $6.50 day. Thanks to everyone for your patience on this. Should be a fun celebration!"

The only reason that I complain is because I care. Sugarbush was a big part of my life growing up and I bring my boys there now. I've had some of the best days of my life there and I know that there are many more to come!

southvillager
01-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Castlerock 2001, Slidebrook, Bravo, Gatehouse circa 1995, Heavens Gate, Northlynx circa 1984, VH and Village doubles circa 1960's. So the new quad lifts at LP are now 19 years old. HG and NL are 30 years old. The doubles are 50(!!) years old. Maybe this is typical, it seems like every hill has a few ancient doubles. But wow, 50 years old? As a customer and a local condo owner, I am concerned about the age of these things. Old or outdated capital equipment can hobble a business. And make me miserable on busy Saturdays.

But let's be realistic. They used to say that there is no money in operating a ski resort, the money is in selling the condos nearby. I must admit that if I owned the place, if there was money to be made here and now, I'd be building condos not lifts. Put band-aids on the lifts and snowmaking, make a few dollars on the real estate, then sell the resort to the next guy.

MntMan4Bush
01-07-2014, 01:35 PM
I'd have to agree that the NRX has been pretty reliable the last few years. I can't seem to remember a time in recent past that it's been down for anything other than wind. Here's to you Bumpcrasher and all the support you've given me over the years in this forum. Glad I could chime in and help.

Of course though this mechanical reliability of late is likely due to the sawed off broom handle that they use every now and again to keep things on track. God I hope no one lost that during the off season or it didn't break. How would replace such an important tool. That would be it for NRX. Seriously. I've skied a fair amount and I have never seen anything like that on a lift. It's like the chairs on Valley Double a couple years back with caution tape on them. It's almost like a red neck fixing a tractor exhaust with duct tape and the sawed off top of a Coors Light can. (I'm not looking for comments on why/if that would work or not by the way. Just go with the joke please).

Maybe it's because we spend so much time here that we see everything while we don't get this exposure to issues other mountains have because we're not there all the time, but I doubt it. As the mountain sells more and more tickets and tries to get more user visits the ability to get people up slope becomes more important than ever. No one likes standing in lines all day. In fact that used to be a reason people came to the Bush. No lines ever, better terrain, good people, good natural snow. (Notice snow making is sadly not on that list).

I like the current lift configuration. I like the VD is a double and not the Valley Triple. I like that I have time to cook a pot roast and drink a nice glass of port in the time it takes me to get up the Inverness chair (Please chime in that the bull wheel actually spins at XXX to prove me wrong. If it is then it's spinning in the wrong direction). I like that I need a howitzer to hit the guy in front of me with a snowball (never throw snow from the chair) on the CR char. The lift configuration makes sure the mountain itself is not overcrowded when you're on it. However this is only relevant when it is operating.

Lastly if we're going to be standing in line for longer can we at least take a page from the CR chair or the top of SB and fire up some tunes at the base of all lifts? Maybe some Grateful Dead? You guys up in Vermont have heard of them right? If not you should check them out. I think you'd like them.

MM4B is back baby!!! I'm back and bored at work.

HowieT2
01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
I'd have to agree that the NRX has been pretty reliable the last few years. I can't seem to remember a time in recent past that it's been down for anything other than wind. Here's to you Bumpcrasher and all the support you've given me over the years in this forum. Glad I could chime in and help.

Of course though this mechanical reliability of late is likely due to the sawed off broom handle that they use every now and again to keep things on track. God I hope no one lost that during the off season or it didn't break. How would replace such an important tool. That would be it for NRX. Seriously. I've skied a fair amount and I have never seen anything like that on a lift. It's like the chairs on Valley Double a couple years back with caution tape on them. It's almost like a red neck fixing a tractor exhaust with duct tape and the sawed off top of a Coors Light can. (I'm not looking for comments on why/if that would work or not by the way. Just go with the joke please).

Maybe it's because we spend so much time here that we see everything while we don't get this exposure to issues other mountains have because we're not there all the time, but I doubt it. As the mountain sells more and more tickets and tries to get more user visits the ability to get people up slope becomes more important than ever. No one likes standing in lines all day. In fact that used to be a reason people came to the Bush. No lines ever, better terrain, good people, good natural snow. (Notice snow making is sadly not on that list).

I like the current lift configuration. I like the VD is a double and not the Valley Triple. I like that I have time to cook a pot roast and drink a nice glass of port in the time it takes me to get up the Inverness chair (Please chime in that the bull wheel actually spins at XXX to prove me wrong. If it is then it's spinning in the wrong direction). I like that I need a howitzer to hit the guy in front of me with a snowball (never throw snow from the chair) on the CR char. The lift configuration makes sure the mountain itself is not overcrowded when you're on it. However this is only relevant when it is operating.

Lastly if we're going to be standing in line for longer can we at least take a page from the CR chair or the top of SB and fire up some tunes at the base of all lifts? Maybe some Grateful Dead? You guys up in Vermont have heard of them right? If not you should check them out. I think you'd like them.

MM4B is back baby!!! I'm back and bored at work.

I like the double too but I would think the incremental cost of installing a triple rather than a double is minimal, and you get 50% more uphill capacity which is helpful on days when there are issues with other lifts. Also, with respect to the Village double, the triple allows the instructors to take 2 kids up with them which is a big issue.

There are tunes outside the gatehouse.

HowieT2
01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Castlerock 2001, Slidebrook, Bravo, Gatehouse circa 1995, Heavens Gate, Northlynx circa 1984, VH and Village doubles circa 1960's. So the new quad lifts at LP are now 19 years old. HG and NL are 30 years old. The doubles are 50(!!) years old. Maybe this is typical, it seems like every hill has a few ancient doubles. But wow, 50 years old? As a customer and a local condo owner, I am concerned about the age of these things. Old or outdated capital equipment can hobble a business. And make me miserable on busy Saturdays.

But let's be realistic. They used to say that there is no money in operating a ski resort, the money is in selling the condos nearby. I must admit that if I owned the place, if there was money to be made here and now, I'd be building condos not lifts. Put band-aids on the lifts and snowmaking, make a few dollars on the real estate, then sell the resort to the next guy.

i dont consider 20-30 year old lifts to be old. the ones from the 60's are old and obsolete.

MntMan4Bush
01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
I remember there used to be tunes outside GH, and usually in the morning (also remembering the good old "Goooooood morning Sugarbush skiers and riders", but the last couple times I've been in the GH line I don't remember hearing it. Of course it could be because I'm miles away from the loading area the last few times with holiday crowds and lift closures or I just wasn't paying attention because the gates are so short for it that there is always a massive swarm of people all trying to squeeze in from the sides that I was playing defense. I guess then my recommendation would be to turn it up to 11.

El Bishop
01-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Agreed re the gates. When the singles line at GH is back to the magic carpet, something has to be done to deal with the cutters. The green jackets occasionally take it upon themselves to restore order but most of the time it's people picking a weak link and pretending to have no idea there was a line. Maddening.

Last Tracks
01-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Northridge was running today. Conditions were way better than I expected! Sugarbush did a great job with what they had to work with.

win
01-12-2014, 05:00 PM
THis was an error. NR is scheduled to run everyday. Valley House weekends and Holidays. SB this year when we have the snow depth beneath it will run everyday too.

Roadkill
01-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Win,
I love that you are communicating to the public. It is one of the things that make me proud that Sugarbush is my "home" mountain. That open communication can leave you open to sometimes silly questions or requests, like the one I am about to make....
Is there anyway your snowmaking team can somehow get some snow on the upper part of Sleeper that bypasses the chutes? I realize there are no pipes on it but could it be covered by a whale at the top and bottom then spread out? I ask because my three kids' favorite trail is Sleeper but 2 of the three can't handle the chute so it eliminates the whole trail for them. We'll be coming up from NJ this weekend with a family of four who have never been to the valley.

win
02-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately, that would require putting a new snowmaking line in there and widening the trail so we could make snow without taking down all the trees. We have discussed trying to do something put don't really have a good answer yet. I do agree with you on how that would improve it for people that don't like the chute.