PDA

View Full Version : lift hours

Benski
03-23-2013, 04:50 PM
I have noticed the super bravo has become realy crowded before the rest of the lifts open. I would like to see another lift open before 9. I think ether heavens gate, castle rock or the valley house should open at 8:45 or 8:30.

beelze
03-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Not usually up there for that but here is something that would be nice: close the upper lifts a little later now that sun is out longer and clock has shifted.

Hawk
03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
This is the time of year that they Change the hours of operation from 9 to 5. So all the lifts will open at 9. Maybe the management could chime in.

shadyjay
03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Believe the plan is to spin lifts 10-3:45/4:00 on weekdays, and keep Bravo going till 5, starting 1-April.

Weekends - not sure yet.

As far as other lifts opening early (like Bravo)... there's a lot that has to take place before a lift opens. The job of the lifty is only a part of that equation. Essentially, the very first thing that happens in the AM at every lift is that it needs to be cleared by lift maintenance. Then we show up and begin to prep our area around the lift, establish the corrals, shovel out, etc. Then ski patrol has to arrive at each lift and ski the trails to give their clearances. This includes making sure the trail is ok to open, putting up the usual warning signs, arranging/prepping their sleds, etc. Opening an additional lift early means that all of that staff would have to arrive extra early.

Granted, when I'm at a lift, I'm usually ready to go with 30 minutes+ to spare, depending on the day. But just because my ramp is raked, the corrals up, etc, it doesn't mean that I have the ability to open it early. Would opening up another lift at 8AM on weekends really make that much difference? Every time I've seen the corral at the base of Bravo on a Sat or Sun, it's not even close to being full that early (unless it's a powder day). Opening Valley House early would be a waste, as it rarely gets any traffic even on a busy Saturday. And opening the 'Rock early would just give it that much more chance to get skied away.

But that's just my opinion.

ducky
03-29-2013, 05:39 AM
Fwiw, Stowe opens at 7:30 on weekends, 8:00 weekdays. Many locals ski 8-11 then go to work. Must be some reason they choose to open at 8:00 as they are not usually so accommodating to locals. Sure is nice anyway.

Hawk
03-29-2013, 06:47 AM
I guess with the premium cost of a lift ticket, they can afford to pay their employees to show up early during mid week. FYI - sugarbush opens at 7:30 also on the weekends........only to Claybrook owners, mountain ops, Ski Patrol, Special guests and the occasional Bush Pilot. ;-)

Shady are you sure about 10am on week days? If that is true I would be absolutley pissed if I were living in the valley.

gostan
03-29-2013, 12:41 PM
I guess with the premium cost of a lift ticket, they can afford to pay their employees to show up early during mid week. FYI - sugarbush opens at 7:30 also on the weekends........only to Claybrook owners, mountain ops, Ski Patrol, Special guests and the occasional Bush Pilot. ;-)

Shady are you sure about 10am on week days? If that is true I would be absolutley pissed if I were living in the valley.The mountain is big enough to allow the "Haves" to get special early access on North Lynx or the like & to open up Heavens Gate lift earlier to we "have-nots" as well.

But, right now, the best is that we are still fully operational & the April outlook remains promising. Cinco De Mayo anybody??

Hawk
03-31-2013, 08:03 AM
I am not nearly as forgiving as you Stan. We are all equal on this planet. I will cut slack for the ski Patrolers but that is it.

My biggest satisfation is to skin up and take those tracks from them which has been done several time.

southvillager
03-31-2013, 05:03 PM
I am not nearly as forgiving as you Stan. We are all equal on this planet. I will cut slack for the ski Patrolers but that is it.

My biggest satisfation is to skin up and take those tracks from them which has been done several time.

I agree. Today's day ticket customer (watching from the line as the "Haves" load right in front of him, and getting very pissed off) is tomorrow's potential season pass buyer, or condo buyer. Or maybe he goes elsewhere to be treated as an equal.

So please...poach those tracks. It is ok with me.

shadyjay
03-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Per today's official snow report at http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails-conditions/live-mountain-update:

"Starting tomorrow, Lincoln Peak lifts will open at 10 AM. Most lifts will close at 4 PM, with the exception of Super Bravo that will take skiers and riders up the mountain until 5 PM."

We've done this for the past couple of years, ever since the DST change moved up from April to March. Pretty sure Bravo will run 9-5 on weekends, with the other lifts maintaining the 10-4 protocol.

HowieT2
03-31-2013, 07:29 PM
What a great weekend. Lots of fun. Surprisingly good skiing in the upper elevation woods on saturday.

Went to jay this week. Good skiing. Great trees. Love the water park. Sb definitely needs something like that, maybe not to that degree. I really appreciate the hub and spoke lift system at sb. Going to the base every time you want to get to the summit is no good.

beelze
04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
It is somewhat pointless to keep Bravo open late when the most/best snow is off of Heavens gate which is still on the regular hours. Is it that much out of the bank to keep HG open until 4:15?

Hawk
04-02-2013, 12:14 PM
The top of the mountain generally closes earlier so that patrol can do sweep. That is a large amount of terain to sweep at 4:15 and then they have to go down and sweep the lower mountain.

shadyjay
04-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Exactly right, Hawk. Even now with the last chair on HG at 4pm ('ish... you know....), it won't get to the top until pushing 4:15 or so. Then once the lift is off, patrol starts their sweeps. From the top of some lifts down to the bottom, there is a lot of terrain to "sweep". Some trails are swept earlier... either denoted with a sign or a closed rope. That's why Paradise closes at 3:15 and same goes for Lower CR. I believe Twist and Moonshine are swept before "final sweeps" as well, but are kept open.

By the time the Gate House side is swept, it can be as late as 4:45, even with it closing at 4. Bravo sweeps can be out as late as 5:30/5:45 as well.

Back in December, patrol sweeps aren't down until dark or shortly after, since the sun sets at 4:15'ish then. Between the groomers and snowmakers and such, a lot occurs when the lifts shut down. As Matt Lauer put it on the Today Show.... it's "the mountain that never sleeps".