PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to bike to work

klop
12-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Interesting - and more than a little scary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/us/climate-change-threatens-ski-industrys-livelihood.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&hp

BTW My son is working at the Goldminer's Daughter at Alta this year. 114 inches and counting.

jwt
12-13-2012, 08:47 AM
We had about 100 feet of ice over New England a few thousand years ago, and without cars - or even man breathing out that dastardly CO2 it all melted. So while there may be warming, it is not in our control - although i do believe we need to be good stewards of the earth.

Near record snows in the mid-Atlantic states last two years - we're just missing the weather mix. Take a look at Alaska last year - broke records everywhere. With a mere 100-150 years of snowfall history, it is far too small to gather any real trend.

Then there is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. . . . . . . .

Goldminers Daugther sounds perfect right about now. Still very early. Patience or airline tickets required. Hoping you get a parenting discount at GD. That is one amazing little canyon ( no pun).

HowieT2
12-13-2012, 09:19 AM
i dont think you can quibble with the data that we are warming and that is not a good thing for snow dependent activities. But the article is a typical fluff piece playing off the snow drought last year and this early season.

Hawk
12-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Cliamte changes doesn't mean everybody gets warmer and less snowy. What it does do is provide greater extremes. That could mean droughs, blizzards, hurricanes, more frequent tornatoes in different areas, etc. One thing is for sure, the mean temp is going up and there is no debating this. The other thing is that results confirm preditions. I for one feel we are impacting the rate of change. Realistically there is nothing we can really do about that. Demand, greed, advancement, growth will always overrule what the minority evironmentists know to be the reality. This will end up being the biggest I told you so in history.