PDA

View Full Version : Snowcember '12

HowieT2
11-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Im getting a little tired of this dry pattern we are in. Great thanks to the snowmakers but we need a little love from ullr. Putting the snow tires on the truck tomorrow so hopefully that will change things up.

Brew Ski
11-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Im getting a little tired of this dry pattern we are in. Great thanks to the snowmakers but we need a little love from ullr. Putting the snow tires on the truck tomorrow so hopefully that will change things up.

Yup, dry like a martini.
I've got a brand spanking new pair of powder skis I'm waiting to take for a spin. Right now, I don't see anything even in the long range forecast to give me hope of a big dump.

I like the texture of the snow the new sno-logic guns put out. The powder on Deathspout yesterday morning was quite enjoyable. Good dry stuff and turns just like mother nature. I guess a couple weeks of cold nights will give the snow crew a chance to make a pseudo-dump.

Treeskier
11-26-2012, 05:36 PM
I agree the snow on Orgrangrider was quite fine when the guns where on. Nice to see the snow makers making multiple passes and constantly adjusting the guns. Was surprise how quickly it firmed up after the guns where shut down about 2:00. The choppy bumps which formed in the afternoon on Death spout got really old also.

Doing my snow dance! Hopefully we can ski some natural soon!

HowieT2
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Blizzaks mounted. Bring it on.

gostan
11-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Snows went on the JGC yesterday, as well. Also, weather tech liners, oil change and new blades. I wish that I could change the weather g-ds outlook for some deep powder, but I have learned to simply wait and be patient in early season December.

HowieT2
11-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Snows went on the JGC yesterday, as well. Also, weather tech liners, oil change and new blades. I wish that I could change the weather g-ds outlook for some deep powder, but I have learned to simply wait and be patient in early season December.

what are weather tech liners?

gostan
11-27-2012, 01:38 PM
what are weather tech liners?They replace the stock carpet mats. The digital fit floor liners protect the vehicle from salt, snow, etc. and fit perfectly. www.weathertech.com

Hawk
11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Those are the balls. I am seriously thinking about getting them. How much dothey run?

HowieT2
11-27-2012, 01:46 PM
They replace the stock carpet mats. The digital fit floor liners protect the vehicle from salt, snow, etc. and fit perfectly. www.weathertech.com

ahhh! I actually got those thrown in when I bought the truck. but I leave them in year round. it its not snow and salt season, its mud and wet season.

gostan
11-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Those are the balls. I am seriously thinking about getting them. How much dothey run?
They are not cheap. My recollection is that fronts and rears go about $179 and fronts only about $100. I purchased mine for about 40% off on a group buy through jeep garage.org.

Brew Ski
11-27-2012, 03:26 PM
And those weather tech mats work great if you get a tire stuck in a hole and just spinning. Just slip them under your spinning tire and viola your out of the hole. Works great on the beach if you get buried in soft sand, or one tire hovering over a ditch in bottom out deep snow.... Not that I would know anything about getting stuck in the snow, I'm a Vermonter, I don't get stuck in the snow. Period. But they rinse off nice and go right back in with ease. I use one in the hatch area for the dogs. Filthy wet dogs washes right off those mats. You can get them custom fit for the hatch/trunk area which is a real nice way to keep the back clean.

Hawk
11-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't know Brew. Sounds like you have some experience with getting stuck to me. ;-)

That's not that bad Stan. I think I am in!

Brew Ski
11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Nope, I'm a Vermonter, born and raised. I don't get stuck in the snow.
I earned money for college by driving around Killington in the winter and charging Flatlanders $20 to get their SUV out of snow banks. Most were amazed that all I did was get in the vehicle and drive it out of the snow bank in 4x4. Just need some basic understanding of how a 4x4 works and the skills to operate big vehicles in the snow. For the older model Fords that have to move at 5 mph before they drop into 4x4, the mud mats are a great trick to get the one spinning wheel to get out of the hole and get some traction. Oh, I'll have to charge you each $20 for that info.

HowieT2
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
still boring, but 3" last night, hopefully another few tonight. would be fine if we were working with any kind of a base. early next week, not looking good, though not awful.

Brew Ski
11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Yup, looks like a warm up with some immature snow coming.
Strange, having such a long dry spell without a big storm this time of year. Usually, it seems like we've had a couple of shoveling events here in the flatlands by this point most years. Even a few inches, something. But it has been boring.

Not much going on out west either. Hopefully it means something big is coming. I could use a big dump.

HowieT2
11-29-2012, 12:53 PM
N. cal. and the pac NW are about to get pummeled.

HowieT2
11-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Looks like its still dumping on the webcam. our first upside surprise of the season???

noski
12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
.... Do You Hear What I Hear?..... two small nor'easters, back to back early next week....

HowieT2
12-12-2012, 09:03 AM
.... Do You Hear What I Hear?..... two small nor'easters, back to back early next week....

oh, it's a coming.
my vacation starts 12/21 so the timing couldnt be better

Hawk
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
No base left at all. It all melted.

pcampbell
12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
next week should be good..

I saw this big guy or gal this morning going for a little hike!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8066/8267500760_3a82ccd4de_b.jpg

Benski
12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
next week should be good..

I saw this big guy or gal this morning going for a little hike!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8066/8267500760_3a82ccd4de_b.jpg
Coming out from hiding after a weekend avoiding Howie.

Hawk
12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
LOL. Tht is exactly what I thought. Howie is going to claim photo shop on this. ;-)

HowieT2
12-13-2012, 09:16 AM
LOL. Tht is exactly what I thought. Howie is going to claim photo shop on this. ;-)

couldnt be more obvious.

fwiw-forecast getting interesting for next week. I likey.

Hawk
12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Yes it does look better. Not saying anything until it is on the ground. We need 2' of toothpaste to coat everything first. I have my rock skiis & old skins ready for next week.

HowieT2
12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes it does look better. Not saying anything until it is on the ground. We need 2' of toothpaste to coat everything first. I have my rock skiis & old skins ready for next week.

I say we're in the woods by xmas.

Hawk
12-14-2012, 08:10 AM
People are desparate Howie. I saw people in the woods two weekends ago after that little storm we got. I am a fanatic but not that fanatical. 8-) I have no doubt that people will be in the woods at Christmas. The question is will it be good?

HowieT2
12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
People are desparate Howie. I saw people in the woods two weekends ago after that little storm we got. I am a fanatic but not that fanatical. 8-) I have no doubt that people will be in the woods at Christmas. The question is will it be good?

I know. I saw tracks going into the woods both of the last 2 weekends. Crazy time. Putting aside interest in preserving the body, how does one justify the ski damage. I dont get it. Maybe because I have to pay for my own skis.

gostan
12-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Wow, we are all starving for some white stuff, aren't we? I hope that the Sunday-Monday thing is much more at elevation. And, although it is way far off, the preliminary weather folks take here in Boston is that the Tuesday-Wednesday thing is going to hit Maine more than VT. Here is hoping for more!

pcampbell
12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
I've been working on my photoshop skills.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8275822077_d85872c744_h.jpg

HowieT2
12-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I've been working on my photoshop skills.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8275822077_d85872c744_h.jpg

If only, you and the rest of your cabal would dedicate more time to doing your snow dance than to perpetrating this "moose" myth, we would all be skiing in the woods already.

HowieT2
12-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Late
Afternoon

Rain/Snow Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%

Rain/Snow
Likely

High: 34 °F

Tonight

Snow Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 70%

Snow
Likely

Low: 26 °F

Wednesday

Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%

Chance
Snow

High: 30 °F

Wednesday
Night

Slight Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 20%

Slight Chc
Snow

Low: 19 °F

Thursday

Mostly Cloudy

Mostly
Cloudy

High: 37 °F

Thursday
Night

Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 80%

Snow

Low: 27 °F

Friday

Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 80%

Snow

High: 36 °F

Friday
Night

Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40%

Chance
Snow

Low: 21 °F

Saturday

Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40%

Chance
Snow

High: 28 °F

gostan
12-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Looks like Sugarloaf is the big winner in NE this week. Too bad all my equipment is in MRV.

HowieT2
12-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Looks like Sugarloaf is the big winner in NE this week. Too bad all my equipment is in MRV.

Have faith. Upslope is our friend.

gostan
12-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Have faith. Upslope is our friend.I do have faith. December is always hit & miss. & sometimes Maine gets more accumulation from the "main" storm and sometimes VT is more blessed. See you in the mountain.

HowieT2
12-19-2012, 09:21 AM
"On Saturday afternoon into Sunday...a slow moving vertically stacked system will be located over eastern New England...and a favorable northwest follow will develop. This will help drag a sharp modified Arctic boundary across our County Warning Area...resulting in much colder air on Sunday...with prognosticated 850 mb temperatures between -14c and -16c. The favorable deep cyclonic flow and good 1000 to 700mb relative humidity associated with a closed 500 mb/7h circulation will result in a prolonged upslope snow event from late Sat through early Monday. Also...expect a high fluff factor given developing thermal profiles of 20 or 30 to 1. Some difficult travel is anticipated with snow...blowing snow...and falling temperatures over the weekend...especially Sunday. A moderate snowfall event looks likely for the mountains of northern New York and central/northern Vermont...with some accumulations possible for the cpv/slv by Sunday. However...if system is quicker to lift out and favorable northwest follow is limited...much less snow will occur with only light amounts in the mountains still some uncertainty with upcoming system. "

HowieT2
12-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Paradise, Lower Paradise, Paradise Extension, Spillsville and Domino just opened!

game on

HowieT2
12-21-2012, 01:09 PM
what's it doing up there???

I am packing up to leave the office. 11 days at the bush. yoy!

Happy holidays everyone.

ReefBum
12-21-2012, 02:31 PM
It has been raining for most of the day on the mountain but the trails are holding up really well. I skied LP in the AM and it was some great skiing, although you had to work given the heavy snow. Spent the afternoon at ME and Hammerhead, Encore, Tumbler and the Cliffs were great with coverage still very good. Certainly a net gain and some good base building snow.

random_ski_guy
12-21-2012, 03:10 PM
It has been raining for most of the day on the mountain but the trails are holding up really well. I skied LP in the AM and it was some great skiing, although you had to work given the heavy snow. Spent the afternoon at ME and Hammerhead, Encore, Tumbler and the Cliffs were great with coverage still very good. Certainly a net gain and some good base building snow.

thanks, I really appreciate the update

teleo
12-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Back to snow outside chez Henri just now. And wicked windy!!!

HowieT2
12-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Good snow today if you hit it right. If not, well....
Saw win calming the masses when both the bravo and gh went down around 9am. It was shortlived thankfully.
Really looking forward to tomorrow.

TRWstock
12-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Looks like the upslope event has definitely proved to be legit. Great day today.... and my lord - been dumping all evening since the lifts have closed...No sign of stopping at 10pm; my oh my.. sweet dreams all.

shadyjay
12-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Over a foot at the summit. Enough to drop the ropes on most of the Valley House side. Got first tracks on Lower Birdland, right as they were dropping the rope. Steins looked tempting, but after a 12-hour shift, my legs weren't feeling up to it. So I quit after 4 runs.

Enjoy it!!!!

teleo
12-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Went to the mall this morning and found just what I wanted for Christmas. Powder!!!!!

Watch out for the drainage ditches. It looked like the snowsnakes live in them today.

Awesome day out there today.

Hawk
12-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Howie!!! did you go see the Moose on lower rumble? That was a big sucka with a huge rack. Go tomorrow. He was bedding down on the skiers left just before Rumble hits Cotillion. We saw him from the edge of lift line. Thats a good place to see him at a distance. I here he chased a couple of people earlier in the day.

HowieT2
12-23-2012, 06:45 PM
This has gone far enough!

So you guys get together abd have a bunch of people tempt me with news of this so called "moose" on rumble. Me, being the sucker that i am, fall for this hook line and sinker. I hike over to castlerock at about 2. The beware of moose sign was a nice touch. I head toward liftline But patrol says the moose is angry, stay from the moose. Dont go on rumble. despite my protestations they would not permit me too see the moose . At this point i realize that this all a big ruse. An elaborate hoax now enlisting the authorities to perpetuate.
So i did castelrock run and had the best freakin conditions i have ever seen there. Slayed it. Moose be damned. Great day.

HowieT2
12-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I took a header on a waterbar on snowball on my 2nd run about 8:20. Well worth it. No way was i wasting that powder.
Great day.

Seriously, was it me, or was there more than the 12" as reported on castlerock??? Definitely skied deeper.

Whatever, it still snowing. Great timing. The next week looks very interesting.

gostan
12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Tree & I opted to hit Mt. Ellen Saturday since the Summit did not open Friday. Our timing could not have been better. Second chair up to Summit and then first rope drop runs down Elbow, Exterminator & Bravo all top which were repeated to the joy of two..... due to the complete lack of skiers at North. Pretty deep snow at Exterminator & more on Bravo. And today at South, well you all know how it was........yummy Sugarbush.

noski
12-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Pretty deep snow at Exterminator & more on Bravo. And today at South, well you all know how it was........yummy Sugarbush. Ohhhh.... and there is A LOT more on its way later this week.

win
12-24-2012, 03:09 PM
I was thigh deep yesterday on portion of Lift Line!

HowieT2
12-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Ohhhh.... and there is A LOT more on its way later this week.

I didnt want to start anything but i think we are going to see winter storm warnings go up shortly.

Win, did you change the oil in the limo? Might have to get that bad boy warmed up.

Merry xmas!

gostan
12-26-2012, 12:50 PM
who wants to name this Nor'easter ?

win
12-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Of course! :)

I hope you waited until Patrol "dropped the rope"...

beelze
12-27-2012, 03:27 PM
so... wheres this 106" from? Sadly I had to go home for the holidays on Saturday but season total then was only in the upper 40s.. has there been that much more the past two days? And as I'm not there, hope they groom it in before it blows away! Need a good base for post NYE :)

pinnoke
12-27-2012, 04:50 PM
The 106" is the summit measurement. Certainly, there's been more accumulated at elevation than at base, prior to this storm. Not really a problem anywhere on the mountain, now. This storm has been the frosting on the week-long cake we've been treated to! Rest assured, the nearly 2 feet already fallen is nice and dense (and extremely enjoyable), and wasn't windblown on/off any trails lift-served today. Though HG remained closed all day (I left at 2pm), CR opened in the early afternoon (as did North Ridge at M'Ellen)...I don't know about effect of wind up top on those lifts, but you won't have any trouble finding the new snow on or off piste! Today surely wasn't the day to be seeking groomed snow! I hope you indeed find what you're seeking when you return post NYE.

Hrdstrt
12-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Seems like the valley got the most out of this storm compared to the rest of the state. Not the biggest single day storm in recent years, but it's got to be in the top five. I had over 22 inches at my house.

HowieT2
12-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Some pretty pretty pretty good skiing.

Roadkill
12-29-2012, 07:24 PM
great day today. snowed lightly all day and no wind. Crowd was impressive until after lunch. skied Egan's woods with good cover. Stein's was sweet with soft, powdery snow althouth there were some areas scaped down to ground. made it over to Rumble in late afternoon. great snow and no ice. skied Sleeper with kids- again sweet with good snow in woods. It is so nice to see the snow pileing up everywhere. met a lot of nice people enjoying the snow. I did notice many 20 somethings buying tickets. Let it snow!

HowieT2
12-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Never saw cars parked at the warren house before. Must have been some impressive skier visits. Funny what 4 feet of snow will do.

Wondering why north lynx wasnt groomed? Not enough base?

gostan
12-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Never saw cars parked at the warren house before. Must have been some impressive skier visits. Funny what 4 feet of snow will do.

Wondering why north lynx wasnt groomed? Not enough base?
Win told us that the all time daily skier record was broken on Friday and that they came close to that yesterday. I talked to a lot of family groups who go to a different ski area every Christmas-NY week and for many it was their first taste fo Sugarbush. most said they will return for sure!

It was more surprising that Snowball was not groomed and that it had an advanced skier sign on it. But, I am not complaining. What perfect timing for lots of snow and a streak of great skiing.

win
12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Our new winch had a problem, so we could get onto Snowball Friday night as planned. We did groom it, spring fling and racer's edge last night though and will again tonight. Pisten Bully, the manufacturer, was been extremely responsive to the problem knowing how important a winch is to us this week.